Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three dead as woman beheaded in France

Options
  • 29-10-2020 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking story
    https://in.reuters.com/article/france-security-nice/three-dead-as-woman-beheaded-in-knife-attack-at-french-church-idINKBN27E189
    A knife-wielding attacker shouting “Allahu Akbar” beheaded a woman and killed two other people in a suspected terrorist act at a church in the French city of Nice on Thursday, while a man waving a gun was shot dead by police in a separate incident.

After the Nice attack, Prime Minister Jean Castex raised France’s security alert to its highest level and said the government’s response would be firm and implacable.

Estrosi said the Nice attacker had repeatedly shouted the phrase “Allahu Akbar” even being detained by police.

One of the people killed inside the church was believed to be the church warden, Estrosi said, adding that one woman had escaped from inside the church into a bar opposite the 19th century neo-Gothic building.

“The suspected knife attacker was shot by police while being detained. He is on his way to hospital, he is alive,” Estrosi told reporters.
    Possibly/Probably connected to the beheaded teacher Samuel Paty and the French reaction which was to deport many islamists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PointHop123

Oh no. Are the Quakers acting up again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Why did they shoot him if he was only waving the gun?

Prob wanted to hand himself in, idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This is why Poland and Hungary refuse to take muslim immigrants.

We must be getting different ones then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

it's awful, but then i completely disagree with showing pictures of Mohammed when it's a clearly a very personal and upsetting thing for any muslim to see. Why purposely try upset people, it's only one image and plenty of ways around it.
    Does it mean it's ok to murder, of course not but it's looking for trouble imo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

it's awful, but then i completely disagree with showing pictures of Mohammed when it's a clearly a very personal and upsetting thing for any muslim to see. Why purposely try upset people, it's only one image and plenty of ways around it.

In any democracy you should be allowed make fun of any sky god you like in my considered opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not entirely clear it is connected to the cartoon of Mohammed but since it's so recent I'd say it's a good guess.

RIP poor innocent woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If people don't like living in a Republic where Church and State are separate, and freedom of expression allowed, there are many other countries more suited to their mind set.
    France would be happy to see them go.

In any democracy you should be be allowed make fun of any sky god you like in my considered opinion.

I don't see any harm in you taking the pi$$ outta your own sky God, but i think it's extremely disrespectful to take the pi$$ outta others

In any democracy you should be be allowed make fun of any sky god you like in my considered opinion.

This is the selfish view that alot of people have, i don't believe or have faith so therefore it doesn't matter to me.

I don't understand why you in 2020 could even contemplate murder to be anything but a truly insane and criminal response to cartoons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is the selfish view that alot of people have, i don't believe or have faith so therefore it doesn't matter to me.
    That's funny. The selfish view is in fact, "I believe this thing therefore everyone else must respect it".

Everyone has the right to believe what they want. That right does not extend to protecting your belief from ridicule or giving you special rights because you hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I don't see any harm in you taking the pi$$ outta your own sky God, but i think it's extremely disrespectful to take the pi$$ outta others

Christians/Catholics get by far the most abuse and piss taking in Ireland for their views , mostly by atheists (such as myself).

biko wrote: »
    I don't understand why you in 2020 could even contemplate murder to be anything but a truly insane and criminal response to cartoons.

Of course it is, but it's equally insane to do something that you know will ignite anger in a huge section of society for no good reason but to make fun of their beliefs.

Christians/Catholics get by far the most abuse and piss taking in Ireland for their views , mostly by atheists (such as myself).

ah shur, all religions probably do, theres nothing special about us regarding this one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

but but but but but but but but but but but but but

" the far right "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Not at all. A persons religious beliefs are their own. If others choose to mock their belief, eat pork, wear short skirts, work on a sunday etc etc. That is of no concern to the believers. There is no point in going to a country that allows you the freedom to practice your religion and then using violence because others dont follow your beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    but but but but but but but but but but but but but

" the far right "

Presumably islamic fundamentalism would be a far right belief?

Of course it is, but it's equally insane to do something that you know will ignite anger in a huge section of society for no good reason but to make fun of their beliefs.

Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of western democracy.

I wouldn't want to offend anyone's beliefs, but I should (and do) have the freedom to ridicule anyone I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Presumably islamic fundamentalism would be a far right belief?

No , only white westerners can be labelled " far right "

despite isamist ideology being explicitly fascist by any objective measure

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Firstly not doing something for fear of violent retaliation is bullying at the highest level.

And if atheists can't say god is fake then do we all so ban priests and the like from telling me I am evil and going to hell for being atheist in case it upsets me.

• Advertisement

Name doesn't tie into respect for religion....

I'd advocate that everyone in France does what the Brits did for the NHS but instead of a rainbow, put a picture of Mohammad in your window in solidarity to those who were slain.

**** Mohammad and **** anyone who thinks I shouldn't say that.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

No it isn't. And even if it was, why should I show them respect? They have no right to assume or demand my respect.

Maybe it's an insane thing to do but if you don't then you adopt the "if we don't provoke the bear it won't eat us" stance you appear to have.
    Guess what, it will eat you anyway. Almost 300 people killed in 3 years in France alone, and not one of them did a cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Trump was right.

That's horrific. That poor lady.

Not at all. A persons religious beliefs are their own. If others choose to mock their belief, eat pork, wear short skirts, work on a sunday etc etc. That is of no concern to the believers. There is no point in going to a country that allows you the freedom to practice your religion and then using violence because others dont follow your beliefs.

Wow you sound like a delightful person.
    So if you choose to marry a certain girl, is it ok for me to mock her to you because she's chubby or ugly but it's your belief that she's not ?
    Of course not, but i'm sure you'll get loads of thanks from other back clapping covert anti muslim types.

biko wrote: »
    Maybe it's an insane thing to do but if you don't then you adopt the "if we don't provoke the bear it won't eat us" stance you appear to have.
    Guess what, it will eat you anyway. Almost 300 people killed in 3 years in France alone, and not one of them did a cartoon.

No that's a really silly comparison come on.

Wow you sound like a delightful person.
    So if you choose to marry a certain girl, is it ok for me to mock her to you because she's chubby or ugly but it's your belief that she's not ?
    Of course not, but i'm sure you'll get loads of thanks from other back clapping covert anti muslim types.

I am anti Islam. I'm not anti muslim.

Are you not the type to accuse people of victim blaming? Yet here you are rationalising or attempting to give validity to the reason a guy chopped the head off an old lady.

Have a word with yourself white Jesus (offensive to some by the way)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's the view of the fearful and that passiveness needs to stop, because it'll garner no respect and the culture will be seen as a soft touch. Rightfully. And western culture is very much seen as a soft touch. Well it plainly is. The lack of confidence in European culture out there is pretty strong and it's a bloody nonsense. If someone wants to fit in then fine, if not drive them out and back to the places and culture that apparently suit them better. And no I don't care how many generations they may be here. Never mind those who claim "asylum" yet want to reproduce the same idiocy here in Europe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why purposely try to upset people, its only women not showing their hair and bodies and plenty of ways around it.
    Why purposely try to upset people, its only gay couples showing affection in public and plenty of ways around it.
    Why purposely try to upset people, its only consuming alcohol in a bar and plenty of ways around it
    Why purposely try to upset people, its only going to church and plenty of ways around it.
    Why purposely try to upset people, its only being Jewish and plenty of ways around it.

This is the road you go down when you start trying to appease extremists. All of those things and more would be "asking for trouble". Nothing is good enough for them but a total erasure of the western way of life. Is that ok with you? Also, victim blame much?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement