Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three dead as woman beheaded in France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

WTF is wrong with some people

There is a very large amount of people in the world with a deep level of psychopathy and all it takes is the right set of circumstances for it to manifest itself in murderous behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

it's awful, but then i completely disagree with showing pictures of Mohammed when it's a clearly a very personal and upsetting thing for any muslim to see. Why purposely try upset people, it's only one image and plenty of ways around it.
    Does it mean it's ok to murder, of course not but it's looking for trouble imo

While ignoring your false equivalence.....

Because there is no right not to be ridiculed or offended. Neither does someone have the right to behead another person just because they ‘belief’ in a magical man in the sky offends them.

I don’t think that Protestants should have suffered from the Spanish Inquisition. Your view seems to be that they shouldn’t have bothered expressing their view and burnings and beheadings were expected. Sure they only antagonised the true believers.

I’m personally offended that people don’t believe in vaccination. They should keep their beliefs to themselves by your thinking just in case someone takes matters into their own hands and harms someone who offended them.

It’s really a stupid and ignorant view that you have. And spoken like someone who has a right to offend and didn’t need to do anything to acquire it.

Besides - it may have escaped your notice that by writing and publishing the name Mohammed on a public forum - you have offended the same people who would behead someone because of it.

You should do 10 Hail Marys and an our father in penance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Another animal that needs to be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

I wonder why do some people choose to live in a country that aggravates them to the point that they think beheading and killing people are acceptable.

I'm not religious and I couldn't live in a strict Islamic country. That's not coming from a racist position, I just couldn't fit in with the culture, it's too different to what I have been used to. I don't want them to change, just wouldn't want to live in a country like that.

The same should apply to Islamic fundamentalists in Europe. If you find the culture so jarring then just don't f**king live there. Life is too short to be miserable, angry and full of hate.

Religions are not races.

It’s not racist to condemn, ridicule or offend any facet of Catholicism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

That's true, should have said sectarian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is the selfish view that alot of people have, i don't believe or have faith so therefore it doesn't matter to me.

Appeasement dosnt work. Turning the other cheek is an immoral doctrine. If someone wants to control my freedom of expression through violence, they are may enemy and i want to see them destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm deeply offended by ThewhiteJesus, out of respect to me ThewhiteJesus should never post again.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

In any democracy you should be be allowed make fun of any sky god you like in my considered opinion.

That's all good in principle. In practice, you've got a few million Muslim people living in France, a tiny minority might take violent offence.

Just wait 200 years until religious belief has waned and then you can show as much disrespect to religion as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

boombang wrote: »
    That's all good in principle. In practice, you've got a few million Muslim people living in France, a tiny minority might take violent offence.

Just wait 200 years until religious belief has waned and then you can show as much disrespect to religion as you want.

The tiny minority should not live in a secular democracy if they are offended by a picture.

Why should France change their whole society for the views of a tiny minority of a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That's all good in principle. In practice, you've got a few Muslim people living in France, a tiny minority might take violent offence.

The naivety. In reality secularism will die before religions die, your path of "progress" isn't going to go as you think.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If people don't like living in a Republic where Church and State are separate, and freedom of expression allowed, there are many other countries more suited to their mind set.
    France would be happy to see them go.

Yes.

Why are there Chechens in France at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In any democracy you should be be allowed make fun of any sky god you like in my considered opinion.

Note that Mohammed was a human man, not God.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

it's awful, but then i completely disagree with showing pictures of Mohammed when it's a clearly a very personal and upsetting thing for any muslim to see. Why purposely try upset people, it's only one image and plenty of ways around it.
    Does it mean it's ok to murder, of course not but it's looking for trouble imo

Attitudes like this led to the Catholic Church having an untouchable status in Ireland. No criticism allowed of a religion or its practices has throughout history led to abuses of power and a positioning that's effectively unanswerable to the people or their democratically elected representatives.

So newspapers, magazines etc. should be able to use satire and critique against any religion once it's not inciting hatred towards its followers. They broke no laws in doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of western democracy.

I wouldn't want to offend anyone's beliefs, but I should (and do) have the freedom to ridicule anyone I want.

But why would you want to? This is one of the best parts of religion - a belief in not hurting others if possible.

Now, we clearly have some nutcases as evidenced by the purpose of this thread, but why the heck would you go out to purposefully cause anybody distress. The world is challenging enough as it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

what your saying is so much worse than your alleged victim blaming slur on me which is incorrect, again as i have spelled out.
    why you people can't see that is strange to me.
    Much like the traveller threads, people can do and say what they like about muslims/travellers as if they are all exactly the same, sub human.
    and no warnings, yet i have had some really lame ones(warnings) in others threads over nothing.
    Funny that

You are clearly victim blaming here. You should have a long hard think about things coming into a thread about 3 innocent people being murdered and placing the blame on anyone other than the perpetrator.

Are you the sort to avoid blaming rapists when women get raped, or is it just when they get their heads chopped off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

biko wrote: »
    I am so very old I can actually remember when there were no Islamist terror attacks anywhere in Europe.
    It was in the 90s.

Aye, me too, twas the christians back then - round here anyway.

This is a horrible atrocity, yet another in a long line of horrible acts in the name of some god or another. Organised religion is evil - needs to be removed from peoples lives & society before the human race can move on from pointless hate & depravity. How? I've no idea..

Money & prosperity worked with (mostly) booting out the hold of the catholic church over Ireland, not sure if that will work with all the other bollixologies though..

SnowyMay wrote: »
    But why would you want to? This is one of the best parts of religion - a belief in not hurting others if possible.

Now, we clearly have some nutcases as evidenced by the purpose of this thread, but why the heck would you go out to purposefully cause anybody distress. The world is challenging enough as it is.

If I am told that I CAN NOT ridicule something, you can be sure that's the first thing I will ridicule.

I respect people but not people who demand what I do or feel they are allowed dictate what I say.

I will not force you to look at my pictures or listen to my words. You can not force me to not make pictures or speak those words.

Huge ****ing difference

The penalty for leaving Islam is death. Not extreme ideology. The bog standard muslim doctrine I'm talking about. That rule is what keeps Islam such a tight ship. People fear for themselves and their families.

Amirani wrote: »

Are you the sort to avoid blaming rapists when women get raped, or is it just when they get their heads chopped off?

Another crowd are well known for killing or imprisoning rape victims... can't put my finger on what crowd that is....

Very few organisations can stand up to mockery. It's an essential tool in being able to level the playing field.

Every country has it's cultural norms they don't want mocked (see how far you would get doing a skit about Padraig Pearse wanting to ride his schoolboy students on the morning of the 1916 Rising here for example), doesn't mean we shouldn't have the right to do so.

• Advertisement

Aye, me too, twas the christians back then - round here anyway.

This is a horrible atrocity, yet another in a long line of horrible acts in the name of some god or another. Organised religion is evil - needs to be removed from peoples lives & society before the human race can move on from pointless hate & depravity. How? I've no idea..

Money & prosperity worked with (mostly) booting out the hold of the catholic church over Ireland, not sure if that will work with all the other bollixologies though..

No. It was better education for the masses that worked. Coupled with a gradual and natural questioning of authority that rose in the 20th Century due to better literacy and cognitive reasoning.

If I am told that I CAN NOT ridicule something, you can be sure that's the first thing I will ridicule.

That's the reasoning of a two year old.

Perhaps a better response would be to question why.

Tony EH wrote: »
    No. It was better education for the masses that worked. Coupled with a gradual and natural questioning of authority that rose in the 20th Century due to better literacy and cognitive reasoning.

So, money & prosperity then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Amirani wrote: »
    You are clearly victim blaming here. You should have a long hard think about things coming into a thread about 3 innocent people being murdered and placing the blame on anyone other than the perpetrator.

Clearly i'm not, have a think about falsely accusing people in the wrong.
    the rest you have posted is nonsense.

So, money & prosperity then?

No, education.

Clearly i'm not, have a think about falsely accusing people in the wrong.
    the rest you have posted is nonsense.

What is the line in the sand you personally would draw when it comes to "not offending someone"? When does it become acceptable? When does it cross over into not acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I find it sad that there is even a debate to be had in this thread and it's not just full of condolences and understandable anger.

Tony EH wrote: »
    No, education.

Okie dokey - you are agreeing with me but dressing it up as disagreeing for some reason.

I think you mean in your ideal world, which I think we'll agree on, this one is far from ideal. in the current democracy we cannot even call people male or female as it were, without upsetting people. so actually not just extreme religious groups but almost everyone wants you beheaded or cancelled or imprisoned for one such slight on their beliefs/views or another.. mad stuff altogether

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I couldn't agree more and is the basis of my point, but people are sooooo blinded by rage they can't see it, including a number of mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement