Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three dead as woman beheaded in France

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Fine so. Since I'm Catholic I will demand that no one mocks or criticizes the Church.

Ah, FFS. I am not talking about demanding anything. I just don’t understand why people think it’s ok to mock others. That lunatic does not represent everybody in their class, creed, religion.

I personally prefer not to hurt people. Even if I do have a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

rusty cole wrote: »
    I think you mean in your ideal world, which I think we'll agree on, this one is far from ideal. in the current democracy we cannot even call people male or female as it were, without upsetting people. so actually not just extreme religious groups but almost everyone wants you beheaded or cancelled or imprisoned for one such slight on their beliefs/views or another.. mad stuff altogether

Yeah we can, don't be so dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

it's awful, but then i completely disagree with showing pictures of Mohammed when it's a clearly a very personal and upsetting thing for any muslim to see. Why purposely try upset people, it's only one image and plenty of ways around it.
    Does it mean it's ok to murder, of course not but it's looking for trouble imo

Complete and utter nonsense, it's the opposite of personal. It's a religion with billions of followers. I cannot comprehend how any rational person, never mind an extremist, is upset by a cartoon mocking a religious figure. It's ludicrous. I'm catholic yet I have absolutely zero issue with Family Guy lampooning Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

In any democracy you should be be allowed make fun of any sky god you like in my considered opinion.

Absolutely. The French are correct and i fully support taking the piss out of any and all religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

We’ve spent the last 6 months battling a pandemic to save lives.

When do we start addressing Islamic extremists who are a risk to national security? I find it astonishing the amount of LGB friends I have coming forward to defend these tribal and in my option out dated beliefs. What’s more is the amount of Muslims who will continue to blame the west and history as reasons for innocent people being butchered.

The alt right can only grow and grow because of our stupidity. Worrying times for anyone who’s centrist and freethinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭emo72

"the punishment for leaving islam is death". Jaysis that's worse than scientology. I mean they try to ruin your life but at least the let you live.

This is like the 1930s all over again. The right will rise in Europe because the left has apologists for every atrocity (see white Jesus). This isn't getting better any time soon lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Organised religion is evil

LOL, just LOL at responses like this, or the 'sky god' comments. So weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

it's awful, but then i completely disagree with showing pictures of Mohammed when it's a clearly a very personal and upsetting thing for any muslim to see. Why purposely try upset people, it's only one image and plenty of ways around it.

Christ what a pathetic post. In the grand scale of "reactions to getting angry about something", going from "muttering under your breath" and "angry sigh" all the way up to "mass genocide", someone showing a cartoon you dont like jumps ya straight past the first 99% to "decapitation" is a bit....insane!

What about all the other stuff that upsets Islamic fundamentalists? They arent fond of women showing skin or their hair, so should any no-Muslim woman be behead on Grafton St for disrespecting Islam too? She would only have herself to blame, TBH....coulda just worn a headscarf 24/7, was an easy way round this! Or going to a restaurant during Ramadan....very disrespectful for all those fasting...easiest solution/way round it is to just only eat in your own home or just fast too, so easy!

What about the whole worship of Mohammed himself? Isnt that a pretty fundamental core part of Islam, and anyone who doesnt worship him is now fair game for beheading? I mean, if showing a caricature of himself is grounds for murder, surely not even worshipping him at all is worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I know your heart's in the right place but this just comes too close to justifying murder in the name of religion, even an ounce of justification or understanding as to why this ****ing lunatic chose to kill 3 innocent people is completely misplaced in every way

People who think that mocking or misuse of their god can be justified with murder are the only and sole problem in this situation

emo72 wrote: »
    This is like the 1930s all over again. The right will rise in Europe because the left has apologists for every atrocity (see white Jesus). This isn't getting better any time soon lads.

The far right and the far left.

Both are disastrous - and the polarisation of every topic pigeonholes everyone into one side or the other.. it's already gone to far anyway and mass social media has been and will be the blame and vehicle for it.

• Advertisement

Actually we can't. Some people bizarrely will be upset. Thankfully they are the minority but it still is bizarre to even contemplate that a small subsection of society is offended by defining people as male or female.

Even more bizarrely, these same guys would be in the gang who would call anyone opposed to islam intolerant.

Nermal wrote: »

What do you mean? Care to offer any coherent response?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Okie dokey - you are agreeing with me but dressing it up as disagreeing for some reason.

No. I'm not agreeing. Money and prosperity isn't the reason. Better education across a broad range of people is. Many countries, in the past, have had great prosperity and wealth, but retained a huge underclass of uneducated people. Because there was no will to change that.

It was alterations in societal structure and availability of things once denied, most notable in the 20th Century, that have led to a greater education level of general populations and thus better a ability on behalf of the ordinary person to reason with their world.

Actually we can't. Some people bizarrely will be upset. Thankfully they are the minority but it still is bizarre to even contemplate that a small subsection of society is offended by defining people as male or female.

Even more bizarrely, these same guys would be in the gang who would call anyone opposed to islam intolerant.

So we can then, is what you're saying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I know your heart's in the right place but this just comes too close to justifying murder in the name of religion, even an ounce of justification or understanding as to why this ****ing lunatic chose to kill 3 innocent people is completely misplaced in every way

I can guarantee you I am not justifying any violence or murder I made that pretty clear.

Tony EH wrote: »
    No. I'm not agreeing. Money and prosperity isn't the reason. Better education across a broad range of people is. Many countries, in the past, have had great prosperity and wealth, but retained a huge underclass of uneducated people. Because there was no will to change that.

It was alterations in societal structure and availability of things once denied, most notable in the 20th Century, that have led to a greater education level of general populations and thus better a ability on behalf of the ordinary person to reason with their world.

I agree, the increase of prosperity across the people of Ireland allowed them to remove the chains of religion.

Aren't all organised religions evil to every religion who believes themselves to be the true one?

Are you suggesting that people who aren't religious should be reverent and respectful to all religions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I agree, the increase of prosperity across the people of Ireland allowed them to remove the chains of religion.

FFS

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Every newspaper in the western world should be having pictures of the sky fairy Mohammed on the front pages of their publications tomorrow morning. Dress him up in a YMCA uniform to ram the message home that this is our way of life and we won't be changing. We must not be backing down and be cowered by these dickheads.

Tony EH wrote: »
    FFS

:rolleyes:

I think we may have different interpretations of the word prosperity Tony :pac:

• Advertisement

So we can then, is what you're saying

No, as I have stated, there will be some people that get offended by the term male and female. Which is bizarre. It wasn't stated that you are unable to say it, but rather you are unable to say it without offending someone.
    rusty cole wrote: »
    I think you mean in your ideal world, which I think we'll agree on, this one is far from ideal. in the current democracy we cannot even call people male or female as it were, without upsetting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

What other islamic laws and customs should we adopt to ensure the muslims don't get upset with us ? We wouldn't want to look for trouble..
    Covering women head to foot ?
    Halal only foods ?
    Outlaw Homosexuality ?
    Close all churches and synagogues ?

Don't forget Salam Rushdie.

Masochism offered to you by sadists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Ah, FFS. I am not talking about demanding anything. I just don’t understand why people think it’s ok to mock others. That lunatic does not represent everybody in their class, creed, religion.

I personally prefer not to hurt people. Even if I do have a right.

I worship the moon, why bring the moon into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Aren't all organised religions evil to every religion who believes themselves to be the true one?

Some are more evil than others. I'm not sure why our resident apologist thanked my post.
    Care to offer any coherent response?

Care to avoid blaming all religions for the actions of one in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Wow you sound like a delightful person.
    So if you choose to marry a certain girl, is it ok for me to mock her to you because she's chubby or ugly but it's your belief that she's not ?
    Of course not, but i'm sure you'll get loads of thanks from other back clapping covert anti muslim types.

That's a fairly poor comparison but If I'm attracted to someone, I don't care what others think. Why would I?
    You are equating not giving special treatment to a religion as being anti religion. This is as far wrong as you can be.
    While I have no time for people who wrap bacon on the door handles to mosques or pull of women's hijabs, I have as little time for those who think they can force their religious beliefs on others.
    And that applies to all religions not just islam.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

You are a right comfort to those who lost their lives at prayer. You are a right something, but the thread charter prevent me specifing.

Some are more evil than others. I'm not sure why our resident apologist thanked my post.

Care to avoid blaming all religions for the actions of one in particular?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

This all could have been avoided. Nobody wanted these people to come here, nobody asked us, and yet we have to endure them.

All those anti-immigration 'racists' in 2014/15 were wrong, because their predictions weren't nearly extreme enough. It is intact, far worse than anyone could have imagined.

This is our “new normal.”

Manach wrote: »
    You are a right comfort to those who lost their lives at prayer. You are a right something, but the thread charter prevent me specifing.

This isn't a condolences thread - its in CA, anything goes in CA.

• Advertisement

The far right and the far left.

Both are disastrous - and the polarisation of every topic pigeonholes everyone into one side or the other.. it's already gone to far anyway and mass social media has been and will be the blame and vehicle for it.

Agree. Identity politics and social media have fragmented populations. Every "tribe" is convinced they are righteous and the "other side" are evil and out to ruin their lives. No politician seems to want to unite people because politics has become a sport. "My team needs to win" by any means necessary.

I though Covid would be the one common denominator but even that has become a battleground. Maybe an alien invasion will be the only thing to unite us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement