Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    But they simply aren't even doing that.

Yes - In absolute terms they might have the highest number of tests for a given period , but in terms of Tests per Million or any other per capita calculation they aren't even close to best in class.

In before stefanovic replies “per capita what, there are many per capitals”. Everything else seems to be a rehashed trump quote.

Yes. You should blame the health expert giving the advice.

“Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.”

Donald trump, 08/11/13.

Cause I know you love a quote from Donnie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭westdublin

fullstop wrote: »
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.”

Donald trump, 08/11/13.

I take full responsibility but it wasn't my fault it was China's

Donald Trump 23/10/20

:o

NaFirinne wrote: »

So the study failed peer review?

Isn’t that the best thing about scientific papers and peer review...bull**** can get filtered out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

westdublin wrote: »
    I take full responsibility but it wasn't my fault it was China's

Donald Trump 23/10/20

"Yes people are dying, it is what it is"

Donald J Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

"Yes people are dying, it is what it is"

Donald J Trump.

Not our problem ..the trump thing is a global sensation and they would fools not tp re elect him

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1319744882806673408

I am hoping its someone takes the piss

Trump releases his plan for beating Covid-19

After eight months of this pandemic, we finally found President Trump's plan to beat COVID-19.

https://t.co/KO4g328Uvr

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1319723264927649792?s=19

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Build a Great Cybersecurity Defense System and Missile Defense System
    Someone better check the passwords when they are done

https://guce.techcrunch.com/copyConsent?sessionId=3_cc-session_d6253eb7-acea-4cdb-a49b-03f0326515dd&lang=en-IE

Fun Fact : for 20 years the launch code for US Minuteman nuclear missiles was 00000000

And it's not the first time the claim has been made of hacking his twitter
    https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/dutch-ethical-hacker-logs-into-trump-s-twitter-account~badaa815/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.techradar.com%2F

Not our problem ..the trump thing is a global sensation and they would fools not tp re elect him

This post makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If by "global sensation", you mean a washed up celebrity who's an international laughing stock then you're spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

you seriously think Hilary was fine ? Seriously ?

The americans got Trump ahead of her, what does that tell you.

Doesn't tell you anything. Clinton would have won easily had it not been for Comey reopening email investigation 10 days before election and then the media focusing on nothing but that in the run-in.

Clinton for her part was one of the most highly qualified candidates for president in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Doesn't tell you anything. Clinton would have won easily had it not been for Comey reopening email investigation 10 days before election and then the media focusing on nothing but that in the run-in.

Clinton for her part was one of the most highly qualified candidates for president in decades.

And also one of the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1319813826284486657?s=19

Not knowing the difference between a missile and a toothbrush, if Biden said this he'd be declared to be in mental decline. Poor dumb Donnie showing his ignorance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Trump releases his plan for beating Covid-19

After eight months of this pandemic, we finally found President Trump's plan to beat COVID-19.

https://t.co/KO4g328Uvr

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1319723264927649792?s=19

Well there is this: https://trumpcovidplan.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

edit: moved to other thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hillary Clinton and the Clinton family in general is unpopular and untrusted by a fair % of the US population, and certainly among independents. I don't believe that Biden, regardless of his many faults, is as inherently unpopular as Clinton was. Time will tell, but I think swing and undecided voters are more likely to go and vote for Biden rather than seeing Clinton on the ballot and deciding to stay at home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The last few months of Trump's presidency will see more Covid deaths. How he handles it will affect a lot of people. And more importantly his legacy.

Current projections are over half a million deaths by the end of February. Even 85% public mask usage could reduce that by 95,000 or 95% usage by 129,000

European countries go in to full lockdown for far less, Asian countries have tiny death rates because they lockdown early and hard and contract tracing is done rigorously.

facemaskeffe.jpg
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-10-masks-covid-deaths.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The last few months of Trump's presidency will see more Covid deaths. How he handles it will affect a lot of people. And more importantly his legacy.

Current projections are over half a million deaths by the end of February. Even 85% public mask usage could reduce that by 95,000 or 95% usage by 129,000

European countries go in to full lockdown for far less, Asian countries have tiny death rates because they lockdown early and hard and contract tracing is done rigorously.

Trump2020 *rallies* lead to uptick in Covid-19 cases. Where the #IMPOTUS goes, sickness and death (cf. Cain, Herman) are not far behind.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/10/22/trumps-campaign-made-stops-nationwide-then-coronavirus-cases-surged/3679534001/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

I just think that a lot of people fundamentally didn't like Hillary Clinton. I should rephrase that, actually, to say that although she won the popular vote, her appeal was not extensive enough to put her over the line within the system by which the USA picks its president.

Clinton represented the same-old, same-old and she came off as smug and condescending. As well as that, the Democratic base at the time was very divided between her and Bernie Sanders (remember Bernie or Bust?).

I doubt the email thing was truly pivotal for too many people, but it was a nice stick to beat her with. You had that one scandal, that one bit of dirt, vs. the other guy who was covered in dirt, and who had routinely done or said things which would torpedo a normal campaign before it even got going (on tape bragging about grabbing woman by the pu$$y, bragging about avoiding taxes, belittling a gold star family, and a former prisoner of war). Why didn't all that shag Trump like the emails shagged apparently shagged Hillary? Because Trump had a message such that people were willing to overlook almost everything about him. Hillary had no message, and I think that was decisive for her chances at winning.

Trump's presidency has handed the Democrats a message, even though the Dem platform hasn't shifted much. Stability and normality is what Biden can promise, and that looks much more attractive after 4 years of Trump craziness, much as the girl runs back to her 'boring' old flame once the bohemian lad she ran off with turned out to be an abusive alcoholic.

briany wrote: »
    I just think that a lot of people fundamentally didn't like Hillary Clinton. I should rephrase that, actually, to say that although she won the popular vote, her appeal was not extensive enough to put her over the line within the system by which the USA picks its president.

And as I've spent the last 4 years driving into the ground; she's a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

And as I've spent the last 4 years driving into the ground; she's a woman.

If America could handle a mixed race man as president, then it could handle a white woman. The key is having a message or platform that resonates with voters. Hillary went too hard on the whole being a woman thing and not hard enough on what good she'd actually do. Something that Trump outflanked her on, not that a lot of his promises even made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If America could handle a mixed race man as president, then it could handle a white woman. The key is having a message or platform that resonates with voters. Hillary went too hard on the whole being a woman thing and not hard enough on what good she'd actually do. Something that Trump outflanked her on, not that a lot of his promises even made sense.

1. America couldn't handle it case in point the tea party movement and it's take over of the Republican party.

2. Donald trump out flanked her by telling lies and playing on insecurities with promised which none of he has fulfilled in his 4 years. He lied people were duped. I suppose the lesson for Hilary is to lie tell every voter a different variant of what they want to hear do none of it rinse and repeat. Also have no morals, there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I think the country couldn't handle a woman as president.

Interesting that they could handle a black man but not a woman but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Midlife wrote: »
    I think the country couldn't handle a woman as president.

Interesting that they could handle a black man but not a woman but that's the way it is.

I think as many voted for her purely because she was a woman as voted against for the same reason. So thats not an argument unless you are trying to push an agenda.
    People wanted change - Hilary was seen as establishment ( and rightly so )

I truely believe there will be a landslide against Trump now that people better understand there needs to be a certain amount of "sameness" about the people in charge - if for nothing more than they know how to get things done in that system.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I think as many voted for her purely because she was a woman as voted against for the same reason. So thats not an argument unless you are trying to push an agenda.
    People wanted change - Hilary was seen as establishment ( and rightly so )

I truely believe there will be a landslide against Trump now that people better understand there needs to be a certain amount of "sameness" about the people in charge - if for nothing more than they know how to get things done in that system.

Not really an argument just an opinion. As is yours.

For example there was some commentary that Kamala couldn't be too aggressive in the VP debate because you can't be a pushy woman. Of course you can be a pushy man.

Hilary's husband's past transgressions held against her but 3rd marriage Don didn't really have these problems.

There are different standards for men and women in the US and its still a deeply mysognist country in many ways. I think this was part of the reason she was not elected.

I'm not saying that people voted for or against Hilary for just this reason but I believe if she were an old guy with the same policies, she would have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Even 85% public mask usage could reduce that by 95,000 or 95% usage by 129,000

There's absolutely no evidence to say masks will have such an impact, infact the evidence points in the other direction. The Danish study is the gold standard and will soon be peer reviewed and a lot of people won't like what it says.

Fauci himself didn't agree with them at the start until it turned political, Luke O'Neill, Tony Houlihan, Killian De Gascun, Ciara Kelly all knew the dangers of them before the media decided to push lab based science over fact based scientific evidence.

https://twitter.com/henrik_ullum/status/1319157496720785410?s=20

Twitter removing Atlas's post was political, Atlas referenced the exact same person for his stance that spoke at the Special Committee on Covid-19 Response here, who also didn't think mandatory masks were a good idea as there was no fact based evidence to support their use for the general population and made observations that they could increase the transmission.

Masking lack of evidence with politics

There's absolutely no evidence to say masks will have such an impact, infact the evidence points in the other direction. The Danish study is the gold standard and will soon be peer reviewed and a lot of people won't like what it says.

Fauci himself didn't agree with them at the start until it turned political, Luke O'Neill, Tony Houlihan, Killian De Gascun, Ciara Kelly all knew the dangers of them before the media decided to push lab based science over fact based scientific evidence.

Twitter removing Atlas's post was political, Atlas referenced the exact same person for his stance that spoke at the Special Committee on Covid-19 Response here, who also didn't think mandatory masks were a good idea as there was no fact based evidence to support their use for the general population and made observations that they could increase the transmission.

So to confirm. You googling stuff is better than the current peer review process?

That's essentially what you're saying.

I haven't read the article but there exists in science a rigorous peer review process and in this case we should ignore that and listen to the recommendations of a guy on boards instead. This is basically the point of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Wait the gold standard is a piece that hasn't been peer reviewed yet? How do you work that one out?

Or do you just like it because that is what it has to say? That is the only way your post makes sense.

Why is wearing a mask political? It isn't even hard. Sure some restrictions are tough, I get it. Wearing a mask is so bloody easy. It doesn't benefit any rich people for you to wear a mask any more than my frequent trouser wearing helps them.

Fauci's point was that medical professionals need the masks more given the US was in a terrible state ppe wise to start the pandemic it made sense not to have ordinary people using masks needed by the medical profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

How can you claim that something that hasn’t been peer reviewed is the ‘gold standard’?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Midlife wrote: »
    So to confirm. You googling stuff is better than the current peer review process?

That's essentially what you're saying.

I haven't read the article but there exists in science a rigorous peer review process and in this case we should ignore that and listen to the recommendations of a guy on boards instead. This is basically the point of your post.

Ok maybe have a look at the evidence yourself before commenting.
    You've done the exact same thing as twitter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement