Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

- admit there is a problem
    - restore the CDC to its former administrative / budgetary capacity
    - put together a plan
    - pass a comprehensive stimulus package
    - enact plan

That’s what Biden will do differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

What?
    Why?
    How?
    Where?
    When?

He's inspiring people to vote Democrat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

If anything he's been inspirational to a lot of people.

I agree fully. More people than ever have gone out and got their votes early. He's inspired a lot of people to use their democratic right and vote him out of office.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Inspired them to drink bleach or try to take some variant of Hydroxychloroquine, inspired them to not wear masks, inspired them to take their own Governor hostage etc?
    Don't forget that rather than providing federal aid or even standing aside he started a bidding war between the states for ventilators and PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Don't forget that rather than providing federal aid or even standing aside he started a bidding war between the states for ventilators and PPE.

And hijacked medical supplies destined for other countries.

During the last 4 years, there have been 215 criminal indictments of people connected to his administration, 225K Americans have died from the Coronvirus, the US has engaged in piracy, the US has lost over 500 sets of parents who it separated from their children, it has carried out hysterectomies on immigrants, it has seen unemployment reach its highest level ever, it has alienated NATO, WHO and the UN and regressed in terms of acting to protect the environment.

How is this guy even in the race at this point?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not at all, most countries exited the first wave. The US has effectively had a consistently high fatality rate since around June.

The US didn't really exit the first wave as a whole because by that point it was only just starting to take effect on the half of the country that didn't get hit in March and April.

That second peak is just the first wave in the second half of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

There all failing from what's I'm seeing. We have to be one of the stand out cases, two lockdowns, mandates, fines and we're still in a mess.
    I'm not seeing what Biden can do any differently to Trump.
    Would be very interested to see your workings on this one

US has nearly double the deaths per million that we have, and more than double the cases per million.

Before you spout “you do more testing, you find more cases”, they’re at about 1.25 times the testing rate per capita that we are.

So tell me again how we’re one of the standout cases and Donnie is doing a super duper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

fullstop wrote: »
    Would be very interested to see your workings on this one

US has nearly double the deaths per million that we have, and more than double the cases per million.

Before you spout “you do more testing, you find more cases”, they’re at about 1.25 times the testing rate per capita that we are.

So tell me again how we’re one of the standout cases and Donnie is doing a super duper job.

From the same logic tree as 'you can't get pregnant if you don't take a pregnancy test'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

duploelabs wrote: »
    From the same logic tree as 'you can't get pregnant if you don't take a pregnancy test'

Tbf, the more people you sleep with the more chance you have of making a baby.
    In fairness to Trump he's always wanted to win the testing league and have the most amount of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In fairness to Trump he's always wanted to win the testing league and have the most amount of cases.

Really? Is that why he keeps on about reducing the amount of testing? Because he has. You're talking nonsense, he'd love it if testing ended tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What do you mean by that, pretty sure he knows there's a virus. What's he meant to do, if anything he's been inspirational to a lot of people, I'd much prefer to be living in a republican state under Trump than being part of the psychological and sceintific experiment being conducted here.

Yup the republican states have really been knocking it out of the park the past 3-4 months

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1315795353136922626

Igotadose wrote: »
    Really? Is that why he keeps on about reducing the amount of testing? Because he has. You're talking nonsense, he'd love it if testing ended tomorrow.

Wouldn't we all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wouldn't we all.

So, you are talking nonsense. Thanks for the confirmation.

Igotadose wrote: »
    So, you are talking nonsense. Thanks for the confirmation.

Let's get real here, if you want to reduce deaths worldwide covid-19 isn't the first test you'd roll out to the general population.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

robinph wrote: »
    The US didn't really exit the first wave as a whole because by that point it was only just starting to take effect on the half of the country that didn't get hit in March and April.

That second peak is just the first wave in the second half of the country.
    First peak was April. Second was July. The US is now entering the third.

The graphs by state are instructive for how few aren't increasing.
    https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/USA-TRENDS/dgkvlgkrkpb/

Trump knew about Covid in January which means there's been a very long time to listen to advice. But no, he has to get his 2c in regardless of the consequences.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

First peak was April. Second was July. The US is now entering the third.

The graphs by state are instructive for how few aren't increasing.
    https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/USA-TRENDS/dgkvlgkrkpb/

Trump knew about Covid in January which means there's been a very long time to listen to advice. But no, he has to get his 2c in regardless of the consequences.

That just shows 50 different charts with either a peak 8 months ago and another happening now/ a peak about 4 months ago/ constant rise over the last 8 months.

Only Washington seems to have 3 distinct peaks. The US, as far as determining 1st, 2nd or 3rd wave at this point in time, should be considered 50 separate countries. The US has not had anything like a country wide set of peaks and dips.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yup the republican states have really been knocking it out of the park the past 3-4 months

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1315795353136922626

The thing was it was all the Democratic states at the start that were suffering, we kept hearing about the poor job they were doing and it completely ignored that they were in general the most populous places and were always going to be hit harder regardless of who was in charge. The same reason that a lot of the BLM stuff was in democratic controlled place, again we heard it’s because of the leadership in those places and it ignored the fact that the reason they were in these places was that’s where a sizeable number of black people live in close proximity. These places were always going to be the epicentres of both things Because that’s where the people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

robinph wrote: »
    The US, as far as determining 1st, 2nd or 3rd wave at this point in time, should be considered 50 separate countries. The US has not had anything like a country wide set of peaks and dips.

Isn't that essentially what Trump did? He treated the individual states as allies or foes according to the political colour of their governor, allocated resources accordingly, bragged about how well his friends were doing until they weren't doing so well; and most of all, shrugged off his own relevance with a "nothing to do with me, mate."

This last week/ten days has really emphasised how Trump is only role-playing as president, but has no interest in the actual job. Short of funds, he's getting the American taxpayer to fund his ego-boosting "same-old, same-old" rallies, but is cheesed off with the media's constant focus on the pandemic instead of his theatrics.

I know it's falling into the "Toddler-in-Chief" cliché, but ever since he came out of hospital, I can't help but think of him as a three-year-old trying to convince his parents to let him stay up past his usual bedtime. Logically, in this analogy, the next phase will be the Big Sulk before his parents grant him a minor, symbolic victory and he'll go bye-byes exactly when his parents intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Any comment on why they’ve double the cases and deaths per capita that we have? What’s the reason for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Mark Meadows, CoS, said on Jake Tapper today that they aren't looking to control it. Its all about vaccines.

Also here is Trump basically saying doctors are upping the numbers to make more money.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1320180250920259584?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

A problem I have with Trump is that he goes on TV regularly commenting about the amount of testing for Covid-19 being done as driving up the figures. Its NOT driving up the figures of those infected. The only thing driving up the figures is the Covid-19 virus. Despite his apparent dislike of the public campaign being run by his own V/P against the virus, he didn't put his dislike of testing into personal practice when it came his being hit by the virus. He hasn't gone running to the Pharma Co's complaining about them making test kits instead of centering all their activity on finding an anti-viral cure.

To me the increase in figures of people tested is good as it means the medics are actively trying to find out who has been infected by the covid-19 strain so: A, they can be helped get better. B, they can be isolated to stop transmission of the virus. and C. the true extent of the virus mobility can be made known to those who have a duty to stop it ravaging the population.

HTF are you supposed to know who has been hit by the virus except by testing people for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Today, Meadows articulated what the plan actually is. Herd immunity. They have given up trying to stop the spread, the only plan is to try to limit the number of deaths.

Thats it. That is the plan.

They don't believe in masks, they don't believe they can do much to stop it spreading.

The people can die, or become seriously ill, is a price worth paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

fullstop wrote: »
    Any comment on why they’ve double the cases and deaths per capita that we have? What’s the reason for that?

Cause they test waaay more than Ireland to discover cases (310k per million V 402k per million)
    Secondly, they have a waay older population demographic susceptible to this virus Vis-a-Vis when compared to Ireland.

It's not really that hard to work out if you try.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Danno wrote: »
    Cause they test waaay more than Ireland to discover cases (310k per million V 402k per million)
    Secondly, they have a waay older population demographic susceptible to this virus Vis-a-Vis when compared to Ireland.

Thirdly, their President has done little to protect the population.

Graham wrote: »
    Thirdly, their President has done little to protect the population.

What has our crew done? Just like their comrade in NY State, cleared the hospitals of untested elderly folk right back into nursing homes.

I don't see much of that happening in red states, do you? :confused:

What has our crew done? Just like their comrade in NY State, cleared the hospitals of untested elderly folk right back into nursing homes.

I don't see much of that happening in red states, do you? :confused:

I can understand why you're confused. I too have absolutely no idea what your post means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

What has our crew done?

I don't know if you noticed, but we're currently in a Level 5 lockdown!

I can understand why you're confused. I too have absolutely no idea what your post means.

Thats good for you, closed minds are never for changing.
    Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't know if you noticed, but we're currently in a Level 5 lockdown!

And what is this going to achieve - some sort of plastic Christmas before we go back in the bunker for January. Meanwhile our local businesses go bust. Fantastic strategy. :rolleyes:

And what is this going to achieve - some sort of plastic Christmas before we go back in the bunker for January. Meanwhile our local businesses go bust. Fantastic strategy. :rolleyes:

Struggling to work out the connection to the Trump Presidency.

• Advertisement

Struggling to work out the connection to the Trump Presidency.

Well, Trump is all for keeping the economy open, unless you're living under a rock? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement