Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

I was in Homestore in Blanch yesterday and they had a good section of Christmas stuff and seemed to be changing over more Halloween shelves as well as had them blocked off! No trees or bigger bits yet though.

Thanks for mentioning the M50 Christmas shop last week(Can't remember who brought it up first sorry)! Had never heard of it. We were off work the last two days so dragged the boyfriend out for a look. So much stuff there, came away with a present each for our Mams so it was a worthwhile visit. Need to look at what we have to see if i can come up with an excuse for a trip back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Saw this on the Netflix UK and Ireland twitter account:

https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1316319692836007936

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's good they have acknowledged that it's Christmas. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loughc wrote: »
    I spotted it on Netflix last night and laughed when it was number 3 on the top 10 list haha.

Ireland ye beauties.

wes wrote: »
    Saw this on the Netflix UK and Ireland twitter account:

https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1316319692836007936

Up to number 2 now, haha, I love it. It totally echoes everyones sentiments to hell with this year, give us Christmas now!!

I'm still waiting until after Halloween before I officially dive into watching Christmas movies. The Nightmare before Christmas gets a pass at Halloween though :D and maybe the Gremlins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'm still waiting until after Halloween before I officially dive into watching Christmas movies. The Nightmare before Christmas gets a pass at Halloween though :D and maybe the Gremlins.

Nightmare before christmas is our kick off movie, usually at Halloween as it covers both. Then we start into our Christmas movie viewing.

Keep meaning to watch gremlins again & never seem to get around to it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Halloween Piñata on sale tomorrow in Aldi if any Elves here with kids are interested

Since how the norm Halloween won't be happening this year, make your own fun

https://www.aldi.ie/c/specialbuys/dates/2020-10-15?q=%3Apopular&page=2&firstPlacementTotalCount=0&secondPlacementTotalCount=0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I’m sending Christmas cards this year as we’ve not seen any of the extended family all year. I rooted out my stash of charity cards from my big bag of cards and I’ll get them written up ready for sending in early December. I’ve also got a shed load of wrapping paper from over the years so I’ll get elfing soon and give Santa a hand. Outside of that I’m finalising they Christmas Day menu and I’ve designated a press to all the non perishables, so I’ll start popping things in there soon. I’ve a lot on in December so getting organised early this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You are all so wondrously busy!

All quiet here; I honestly do not miss the shops but just one outing would be lovely! Not going to happen! So I will bask in it all here with you. Although I tend to vanish during Advent for a while. We all and each have our own way! Advent Three sees me fully heading for Christmas.

I'm drinking an Irish coffee flavoured hot chocolate. Does that count as Christmassy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I'm drinking an Irish coffee flavoured hot chocolate. Does that count as Christmassy?

Absolutely... do share, where would one get one of these please?

SarahLil wrote: »
    Absolutely... do share, where would one get one of these please?

Costa! Just got it out of curiosity but it was actually pretty nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh I love that, how cute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

PTH2009 wrote: »
    one brand i was never a fan of

Hunky Dory, Tayto and King boxes yess please

Hunky Dory are doing Christmas boxes for the first time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Coming to Costa UK.(So, there's a good chance it will here also)
    After Eight Muffin!
    121339820_2768025023520101_5208512078472450274_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=nONkRdTvze0AX_L3pX9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d378d70efc618b53b8bd841b8f997e4a&oe=5FAB5C5D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

The wife got her first bottle of gluhwein last night in Centra. Not bad for 6 euro, a minute or two in the microwave and a wedge of orange. It didn't last the night!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

The wife got her first bottle of gluwhein last night in Centra. Not bad for 6 euro, a minute or two in the microwave and a wedge of orange. It didn't last the night!

Yum. Can't wait for my first mulled wine!

I did the big pre Christmas shop yesterday and stocked up on booze, chocolates, crisps and soft drinks. It's all hidden away upstairs. Now to set about resisting it all!

Then we did an online shop for toys for our fella and the Godchild, and the two family Kristkindle gifts.

Now all we need is a turkey and ham, to wrap a few bits and... we're done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Galway Christmas Market Cancelled this year :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

One of the kids told me earlier lots of the class begged the teacher to start learning carols this week - muinteoir said she’ll see on Friday depending on how good the class is - love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

As promised, here is my Christmas round from our Zoom quiz. Highest score was 6, so maybe it's not too easy. Got a few groans when I announced it but everyone said it lifted the spirits this bleak evening too.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
    1. How many inanimate objects feature in the song “The 12 days of Christmas”?
    2. What is the most popular christmas dinner in Japan?
    3. Which of Santa’s reindeer is named after another animal?
    4. In what year of the 20th century did Christmas Day become a public holiday in Scotland?
    5. In which modern-Day Country was St. Nicolas Born?
    6. The song “White Christmas” was written for what film?
    7. Who sang “Walking in The Air” in the 1982 film version of “The Snowman”?
    8. The French word “Noel” is often used around Christmas, but what was its original meaning in Latin??
    9. The Cop and the Taxi Driver in “It’s a Wonderful Life” share their names with which Sesame Street characters?
    10. Where does the christmas tree for trafalgar square come from? Oslo, in thanks for WW2 Assistance

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

I could be wrong but I think the last one might be Oslo, in thanks for WW2 Assistance?

3. Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Well done tscul32 - that’s the only one I was sure of also!!!

4. Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

D'oh..thought I'd deleted all the answers :D

5. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

tscul32 wrote: »
      I could be wrong but I think the last one might be Oslo, in thanks for WW2 Assistance?

:D:D:D

I'm just singing the 12 days of Christmas so still stuck on 1.

They're good questions in fairness. Except 4, it needs work.

6. Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I think Japan, bizarrely, has KFC at Christmas? Remember seeing it on the news one year. They have to order ages in advance.

7. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Vixen!!!

8. Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Caranica wrote: »
      1. How many inanimate objects feature in the song “The 12 days of Christmas”?
      2. Which of Santa’s reindeer is named after another animal?
      3. The song “White Christmas” was written for what film?
      4. Who sang “Walking in The Air” in the 1982 film version of “The Snowman”?
      5. Where does the christmas tree for trafalgar square come from?
        I only knew these ones! :o

I bet the White Christmas one fooled a few, you fiend! :p

1. Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

Think I have 7, excluding Oslo

2. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

I only knew 1,2,3,6,8.

3. Advertisement
      4. Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They're tough!!

Advertisement