Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one feeling so meh this week!! Looking like it's a strong possibility that my brother won't get home from abroad for Xmas and im really worried about how it will effect his mental health. And then I got to speak to my Nanny on Skype today from her nursing home. She had a stroke a few months ago so she's extremely confused and trying to explain to her that we can't visit is just killing us all.

Loughc wrote: »
    For my week off one of the mornings (weather permitting of course) I’m planning on going to Portmarnock beach to watch the sunrise and then go for a walk.

Also planning on going on a hike. Essentially I’m planning on getting out as much as I can that week haha.

I love a bit of hiking, especially this time of year. We're very lucky to have Connemara on our doorstep so we would usually get out a lot. Sometimes we try and time it to see the sun set.

If the new guidelines had come in before I had secured a job, I'd probably be feeling very bleak right now. A neighbour was out for their walk this evening while I was walking the dog, so had a quick chat. They said they needed to get out for some fresh air, their head was fried from listening to all the doom and gloom talk on the radio. I suggested Lyric FM for some easy listening. The only time the radio changes station in our house from Lyric FM is when Christmas FM goes live :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Very rough couple of weeks in our house too. Unexpectedly classified as very high risk and now working from home which since I’m a teacher in a school with appalling internet access (mine is amazing) is incredibly stressful and I’m wracked with guilt because they’ve no sub for me yet and even when they get one it will likely be someone unqualified as there’s such a shortage in the area. I’m lonely and feeling isolated even though my anxiety had gone way down not being in the crazy school environment. Last night was just awful with more restrictions.

However today was better. Prepped my food last night to hell me stay on plan today so while I’m a little over on syns it’s not much and tomorrow is another day. Control what I can control and forget the rest is what I’m trying to tell myself. So glad I visited my sis last weekend tho

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Wow, they are brilliant!

Have my Christmas masks all sorted already, can't wait to wear them for ONE AND ONLY ONE Christmas season though, please and thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Posy wrote: »
    I'm glad a few of you are feeling more positive (for want of a better word!) at the moment. :)

I flip flop from mood to mood, the uncertainty is awful and yearning for normality is sad.

Even when I visited the BT Christmas shop, I felt a tinge of sadness that I was masked and sanitised, whereas this time last year everything was normal. :(

Holidays this year were a write off, but at least we can plan for a not normal Christmas, and start planning work arounds and different activities. A nice walk on a winter's evening, admiring people's trees can be done under any circumstances.

Aching with you all; here on this small island we are away from it all. The only mask I have seen is the new post lady yesterday. I keep one by the door but the only time I needed was when I was airlifted to hospital weeks ago,

It is a different world out there, and each of us can help by complying

I never connected with social media; the covid threads here are more than enough.

Having lost a loved on to covid…

Yesterday my shopping came; comes over on the ferry every 2 weeks . Whoever picked and packed … 12 tins of catfood instead of 48... and 2 huge expensive bacon joints instead of rashers.. and some other serious errata!

Thankfully I have spare as I am equipped for a siege.

But thanks to this thread I can now get treats from amazon? Not very good at all that; somehow I now own 20 pairs of socks! I think that was ebay; grand total of less than E14 !Not sure how I did that...

But yes; a lovely Christmas, and like when I was young. Going for a walk looking at lights in windows was a favourite pastime

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I love a bit of hiking, especially this time of year. We're very lucky to have Connemara on our doorstep so we would usually get out a lot. Sometimes we try and time it to see the sun set.

If the new guidelines had come in before I had secured a job, I'd probably be feeling very bleak right now. A neighbour was out for their walk this evening while I was walking the dog, so had a quick chat. They said they needed to get out for some fresh air, their head was fried from listening to all the doom and gloom talk on the radio. I suggested Lyric FM for some easy listening. The only time the radio changes station in our house from Lyric FM is when Christmas FM goes live :)

Give my love to Connemara! I lived atop of Glencoghan a while I cannot walk far these days but I have the ocean at my back door here so abundant fresh air

I have no radio or TV and no social media. Just the internet. I check the online news a few times a day but that is all. We were not made to take on the world's troubles; just our own.

And we will come out of all this stronger with each other's help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Graces7 wrote: »
    We were not made to take on the world's troubles; just our own.

And we will come out of all this stronger with each other's help

Love this Grace I must remember it x wise words

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Christmas has moved a lot closer. The puddings are boiling/steaming as I type. A little bit of normality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    A little bit of normality.

Exactly what is needed now :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

SarahLil wrote: »

Got this today.
    A kind boardsie mentioned it to me, after seeing this post. It's being lit tonight.

Happy Friday Elves, what has everyone planned for their weekend?

I have meal planned for next week I am making room in my presses for some Christmas non perishables we will be buying

I have made a list of what I need in the Shopping Centre for whenever I may get there again, as soon as it comes into my head I write it down, worse comes to worse it will be online shopping, aswell as Christmas presents I have 3 birthdays in November and I am undecided on what to get my 2 pals and my mam

I was thinking of how my dinner table will look Christmas day I am looking forward to picking up a few things to dress it, also some more picks to fill out my garland on top of my kitchen presses and over mantle garland

Pizza tonight for us as its been a strange week, planning on walks over the weekend and maybe light the stove tomorrow... light candles get the house all cosy and probably a take away, Full roast with all the trimmings Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,344 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hope to get somewhere and buy some paint for the ceilings, hall, maybe my room. We’ve paint for the kitchen/living room and bathroom.
    Maybe get the ingredients for the cakes/puddings:
    And a few bits and pieces.
    I’d plan on going to my mother but my father lately insists on tagging along everywhere. He’s very hard to mind and he won’t stop talking!and touching stuff. Last time he spent about 2 hours in the Clarke’s shop.
    Also I’d like to get some curtains, throws and cushions soon.

Pizza tonight for us as its been a strange week, planning on walks over the weekend and maybe light the stove tomorrow... light candles get the house all cosy and probably a take away, Full roast with all the trimmings Sunday

I have to powerwash the back patio tomorrow. Just a few housekeeping things to get done this week, want to get them all done before my week off. So that week is as relaxing as it can be.

It's Friday Fajitas tonight in my house, homemade Chicken Satay tomorrow and Full roast with all the trimmings Sunday too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭DvB

First weekend in a good while we have no training sessions to run for the kids so up tomorrow & out to do the weekly grocery shop & we're waiting for a call from a washing machine engineer to call out to us for tomorrow, only bought it when we got the kitchen redone last year so still under warranty but waiting 10 days now for an update from the vendor which is giving us a horrible time sorting out clean clothes for the kids. Gas thing is I know its beyond repair as the smoke & smell of burning from it didnt give th impression it was a simple fix!

IF the weather stays dry will try & get out for a walk or two as it may not be long before we're limited to 2k or suchlike!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    we're waiting for a call from a washing machine engineer to call out to us for tomorrow, only bought it when we got the kitchen redone last year so still under warranty but waiting 10 days now for an update from the vendor which is giving us a horrible time sorting out clean clothes for the kids. Gas thing is I know its beyond repair as the smoke & smell of burning from it didnt give th impression it was a simple fix!

DvB I had this problem with my washing machine sounds exactly the same smell of burning, I paid for technician separately as I wasn't covered under warranty
    I had mine 6 years though, it took 3 weeks for my new one to reach me from Currys I feel your pain I hope you get sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    I have to powerwash the back patio tomorrow. Just a few housekeeping things to get done this week, want to get them all done before my week off. So that week is as relaxing as it can be.

It's Friday Fajitas tonight in my house, homemade Chicken Satay tomorrow and Full roast with all the trimmings Sunday too :)

Fancy some guests for the weekend?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've a weekend of IKEA building. Overhauling a little elf's bedroom as a surprise. ;) Right now with Halloween being scuppered, he could do with a boost. I finished sewing the soft furnishings this week and the last of the bits for the room will arrive on Wednesday. I am ridiculously excited for him to see it!

For the past few years I've been gradually building a 'nice' dinner set and serving stuff. Nothing fancy, just plain white ones from Amazon or Dunnes, but they all match and aren't chipped so are posh for me :D

I've my Christmas PJs ordered, and will review my Christmas Manual to see what long life stuff I can start getting into the cupboards.

kitten_k wrote: »
    Fancy some guests for the weekend?

The government says no :(

• Advertisement

EZ Living Christmassy shop has opened inside the Blanchardstown Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Hello, I’ve been reading this cheery thread. How nice.

I’m usually a radio head but am going to keep talk radio and news off this weekend. I’m fed up.

Instead I’m going to start planning some surprise Christmas parcels for friends and family. I found this lovely website and am going to find some Irish small stocking filler gifts for the parcels. https://justbuyirish.com/

I got my paint.
    Also got most of the cake/pudding stuff and tubs of sweets/biscuits.
    It came to just over €200 and the lady went off and got me vouchers so it came to €170.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 little bird

My 76 year old Ma looked like a young wan this evening when I told her that I had made her wash & b/d appointment for Christmas Eve.

My 76 year old Ma looked like a young wan this evening when I told her that I had made her wash & b/d appointment for Christmas Eve.

When I read ‘’wash’’ I trying to figure out why you were getting your mother washed on Christmas Eve and I had no idea what a B/D was!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Haha, freshpopcorn. :D

Gangu wrote: »
    Hello, I’ve been reading this cheery thread. How nice.
    Hope you stick around- we need as much cheer as we can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That's it. I'm in the mood now. Trace Xmas has just played Driving Home For Christmas. One off my favorites.
    Time to roll up the sleeves and get in the spirit :D
    Choo choo

We're into the sixties. (It was hard finding a PG image Today!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Loads of Christmas paper, cards, bags, tags and other stuff in Bookstation this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Was at the m50 beech vista shop last week getting some Halloween decorations, they have lots of Christmas stuff for sale already, some of it is very expensive but looks great, metal post box, toy soldiers.

Advertisement