Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Sadly more scarce then gold dust, unless you have RTE connections.

Even that won't help. I have them, not so much as a hint of getting within an asses roar of the things.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Sadly more scarce then gold dust, unless you have RTE connections.

The key is to have connections at whatever business is sponsoring the LLTS, and not at RTE itself.

Years ago I worked for the company that was sponsoring the late late show at the time and toy show tickets were raffled off to staff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Batgurl wrote: »
    The key is to have connections at whatever business is sponsoring the LLTS, and not at RTE itself.

Years ago I worked for the company that was sponsoring the late late show at the time and toy show tickets were raffled off to staff.

That’s spot on.

Batgurl wrote: »

Pretty much exactly what I was told by my contacts in rte. Money talks.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There's only one Sunday of Summer time left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Dug out some of the Christmas stuff from the attic yesterday. Little fella was only delighted. He bouncing about singing "when Santa got stuck up the chimney" and wants to put the little Christmas tree up in his bedroom right now.

I didn't realise how much stuff I had up there, 2 whole bags of wrapping stuff stashed up one of paper one of giftbags, ribbons and tags. Got the Christmas themed clothing down, and the Christmas crafting sets for the kids. Most of it picked up in the after Christmas reductions last year and in years gone by. Still need to have a dig around for a few bits I know I have but couldn't grab.

Main reason for getting it down was the fill your own advent bunting for the littlies. Not 100% what I'm going to put in it as they're a lot smaller than I remember them being!

We (when I say we, I really mean the Mrs) decided to put up our halloween decorations over the weekend, so up in to the attic storages I went to get them all out, as I had to look past the christmas ones to get a couple of skeletons out I was reminded of the sheer amount of christmas decorations we have now & how much space they take up, was also thinking it'll only be about 7 weeks before we're taking them all out again... really looking forward to putting them up now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    We (when I say we, I really mean the Mrs) decided to put up our halloween decorations over the weekend, so up in to the attic storaes I went to get them all out, as I had to look past the christmas ones to get a couple of skeletons out I was reminded of the sheer amount of christmas decorations we have now & how much space they take up, was also thinking it'll only be about 7 weeks before we're taking them all out again... really looking forward to putting them up now.

I'm off the last week of October and spent last night mapping out something fun to do each day cause we can't go away, and I realised that I am not back to work until the 2nd of November....November... the month where it all kicks off... :)

I have a tough week this week in work, a semi-tough week in work next week, then I'm off for a week and then it's November :)

It is going to be here in no time.

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm off the last week of October and spent last night mapping out something fun to do each day cause we can't go away, and I realised that I am not back to work until the 2nd of November....November... the month where it all kicks off... :)

I have a tough week this week in work, a semi-tough week in work next week, then I'm off for a week and then it's November :)

It is going to be here in no time.

Same here Loughc, and only needing 4 days annual leave to do it too... sweet!
    By the time we're back in work the adverts will have started!!!

I've come off Facebook on the weekend the negativity is just too much on there, between clickbait headlines like "Minister Donnelly says ChRiStmAS will be CaNCellEd this year" and when you click in and the quote from Stephen Donnelly is "It's too far out to discuss what level we will be at come December but we plan on making a call on Christmas 3 weeks in advance".

And then the comments underneath any article about Coronavirus is just something else. One poor 19 year old girl who had COVID and required a ventilator to keep herself alive shared her story after the teen spoke on the Late Late Show and the comments she got was horrifying...

I'm sticking to Twitter and Instagram. I don't use Twitter for anything but sport or Christmas pages and Instagram is great all pictures and you don't really see the comments, but Facebook can do one, it reviles on dividing people and causing arguments, and newspaper sites crave clicks and ad revenues and will say ANYTHING to get the click.

Boards is great as you can filter your feed you pick what you see and don't see. It doesn't force itself upon you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

The BBC Good Food Website has announced all the winners of the Christmas Taste Awards 2020

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/bbc-good-food-christmas-taste-awards-2020

Spar has won the best mince pie award, there's no Spar near me, but I'm wondering if the Spars in Ireland have the same own brand as the UK. I always try hunt down the best mince pie winner!

The giant Ferrer Rocher style dessert from Aldi won best sharing dessert.

I like the sound of the Sainsbury's "Tiramichoux Dessert" and the Tesco Finest Cherry & Almond Stollen.

mmmmmm, my porridge for breakfast doesn't look as appealing anymore.

I've come off Facebook on the weekend the negativity is just too much on there, between clickbait headlines like "Minister Donnelly says ChRiStmAS will be CaNCellEd this year" and when you click in and the quote from Stephen Donnelly is "It's too far out to discuss what level we will be at come December but we plan on making a call on Christmas 3 weeks in advance".

And then the comments underneath any article about Coronavirus is just something else. One poor 19 year old girl who had COVID and required a ventilator to keep herself alive shared her story after the teen spoke on the Late Late Show and the comments she got was horrifying...

I'm sticking to Twitter and Instagram. I don't use Twitter for anything but sport or Christmas pages and Instagram is great all pictures and you don't really see the comments, but Facebook can do one, it reviles on dividing people and causing arguments, and newspaper sites crave clicks and ad revenues and will say ANYTHING to get the click.

Boards is great as you can filter your feed you pick what you see and don't see. It doesn't force itself upon you.

I'd detached myself from most social media about a year back & it was the best thing I ever did in terms of looking after my mental health. I'm still on twitter but rarely post, unfollowed a lot of accounts & tend to use it for sport, news & jokes & little else these days. FB I still have an a/c but got rid of everyone other than close family & friends, & pretty much never post. Instagram I have set to private & have close friends & family only as I put up pics of the kids there for family living abroad etc. Even on here I frequent this forum & dip in & out of the football & american football, film & TV forums & little else. I have enough stress & grief with work & can do without the barrage of negativity that tends to come with prolonged use of social media.

I have enough stress & grief with work & can do without the barrage of negativity that tends to come with prolonged use of social media.

That was my rationale as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We (when I say we, I really mean the Mrs) decided to put up our halloween decorations over the weekend, so up in to the attic storages I went to get them all out, as I had to look past the christmas ones to get a couple of skeletons out I was reminded of the sheer amount of christmas decorations we have now & how much space they take up, was also thinking it'll only be about 7 weeks before we're taking them all out again... really looking forward to putting them up now.

Exactly the same DvB, was in the attic yesterday and got 2 boxes of halloween decorations out and must have gone by 20 boxes of Christmas stuff. Our attic is converted so we have the eves on two side to store stuff. One whole side is just Christmas decorations!!

I was never on FB, it just never appealed to me and from what I hear from most people I'm glad I never bothered. I'm on twitter, like you and DvB for sport, news and that's about it. OH is on Instagram however mainly just to keep in touch with family in America.

Social media is a real cease pool and really worry about what it will be like when my kids get to the age of going on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ditto, I log on to facebook for the sole purpose of checking who's birthday its is. Then log off. I deleted my twitter as that is a mad house and portrays the extremes of each side of society. I am on instagram, never post, to follow Christmas pages, Rugby highlights, BBQ stuff, a few motoring things. But also to keep tabs on my eldest who is on it too.

I have been off alcohol since just before the start of September. I was thinking having a drink at Halloween but I may extend it till Christmas fm launches and we are putting the tree up. A nice baileys on ice, or a glass of bubbles. I will most likely just fall asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Jude13 wrote: »
    Ditto, I log on to facebook for the sole purpose of checking who's birthday its is. Then log off. I deleted my twitter as that is a mad house and portrays the extremes of each side of society. I am on instagram, never post, to follow Christmas pages, Rugby highlights, BBQ stuff, a few motoring things. But also to keep tabs on my eldest who is on it too.

I have been alcohol since just before the start of September. I was thinking having a drink at Halloween but I may extend it till Christmas fm launches and we are putting the tree up. A nice baileys on ice, or a glass of bubbles. I will most likely just fall asleep.

I gave up the booze for September. Felt great for the month and am thinking of extending it again for another few weeks after having a few drinks the last two weekends.
    It's amazing how great you feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Must have been the weekend for it - we put our Halloween decorations up yesterday too. Really got us in the mood for putting up the Christmas ones!

WFH today so am currently watching A wish for Christmas.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have been alcohol since just before the start of September. I was thinking having a drink at Halloween but I may extend it till Christmas fm launches and we are putting the tree up. A nice baileys on ice, or a glass of bubbles. I will most likely just fall asleep.

Very important 'free' missing I think :p

Haven't had more than 1 or 2 beers at the weekend for a while now & even at that not for a couple of weeks now, truth be told I feel no different at all. For me the real difference is getting my regular exercise in, do that & its happy days, though to be fair I'm not a big drinker anyway.

Defo having a few this coming w/e though.

My OH did a double brunch on Friday, free flowing booze for a set price. I was very smug on Saturday morning, she was so bad I could have put on a Christmas movie without fear.

I find it very hard to switch off without a drink on the last day of the week. That's the only time I miss it.

• Advertisement

I decided to get rid of social media when we were building our house last year. Anything I've heard about it lately makes it seem like it's all very toxic.

I have a few Halloween decorations, but don't know if I'll put any of them up this year.

I might have a drink or two for a special occasion but generally I don't drink. My hangovers were like something from a horror movie, even as a teenager, so alcohol lost it's appeal for me.

I just got confirmation that my flu vaccine will be this week. I was so glad to get the call this morning as I've been on the high risk waiting list for weeks.

Could probably count on one hand the number of times I have drunk since last March. The OH and I were never big home drinkers and didn't feel the need to start during lockdown. The elves are still of the age that they are up at 7am (latest!) every morning even at weekends so just isn't worth it. Plus when you add in the health benefits, both physical and mental (I just find I got very down the couple of days after drinking) it was a no brainer. Still enjoy the odd glass of wine and beer with my family/mates however once every few weeks is more than enough.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Could probably count on one hand the number of times I have drunk since last March. The OH and I were never big home drinkers and didn't feel the need to start during lockdown. The elves are still of the age that they are up at 7am (latest!) every morning even at weekends so just isn't worth it. Plus when you add in the health benefits, both physical and mental (I just find I got very down the couple of days after drinking) it was a no brainer. Still enjoy the odd glass of wine and beer with my family/mates however once every few weeks is more than enough.

Same, unless we're out for dinner or have people over we rarely drink.

Had a hectic weekend so the OH put a bottle of wine in the fridge and we decided to feck dinner and order a takeaway and we opened the wine while waiting on the takeaway and instantly I felt more relaxed sipping on the wine, I was like I can totally see how people drink wine every night after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm not a huge drinker unless I go out, but I have started to buy a bottle of whiskey a month and it's lovely to have a glass or two of straight neat whiskey in the eventing after work.

Some days you really just need it to wind down.

I can be without it a while, but then have a full day on it when the setting allows. It's a very different culture here, and sunny all the time. You tend to live younger. No this is a once every 3-6 months type thing for me due to work and having to carefully plan who's not having a drink as our little one can sense weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Went to a friends for dinner on Saturday night, lots of wine - didn't get home until 5am, yesterday was hard! Was in bed by 8.30!

We have a winner for festive cheer, 5am!! That's my wake up time, and the time to get up to see if Santa has visited.

I plan on getting back on the wagon, or is it off? in December. It's mainly a weight thing and I am kidding myself that its booze related and not Quality Street related.

Everything in moderation. I like a few beers & a chat every now & again & also enjoy sipping a whiskey with ice also, as long as I dont go overboard on either all's good. What with having 2 kids that wake up early even Sat & Sun to play sport a hangover is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Must be the season for cutting back on alcohol. I'm not a big at home drinker anyway, but I've only ever made the conscious decision to not drink for a few Januarys. I started a 10 week training schedule three weeks ago, and just didn't see the point of undoing the work by having a few glasses of wine, that usually lead to crisps/chocolate/peanuts/nutella from a spoon etc. I'll probably have a few drinks over the bank holiday wknd, which will be the half way mark in the 10 week programme, then stay off it until it finishes on Nov 29th.

• Advertisement

I was a late bloomer, I was mad in to sports, and also beer made me very ill (I hadn't discovered cider/wine), then in college I was skint and playing sports. I made up for it in my 20's though when I was earning and kid less. I went 9 months before as I took a knock that damaged my kidney and spleen.

Advertisement