Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭tscul32

1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10.
    Have a St. Nicholas of Myra school close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

:D:D:D

I'm just singing the 12 days of Christmas so still stuck on 1.

They're good questions in fairness. Except 4, it needs work.

75% of the group are Scots ;) Doesn't translate very well, though it is fascinating. The Christmas Day public holiday was banned in the 1640s and only reinstated in 1958. "Boxing day" only got the holiday back in 1974!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I actually only learned the St. Nicholas one recently and was surprised by the answer.

I actually only learned the St. Nicholas one recently and was surprised by the answer.

My mam visited there years ago and brought back this strange little rug with a picture of him embroidered into it. It gets taken out every year at Christmas and put in the front room.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

1. Which of Santa’s reindeer is named after another animal?
    2. In which modern-Day Country was St. Nicolas Born?
    3. Who sang “Walking in The Air” in the 1982 film version of “The Snowman”?
    4. The French word “Noel” is often used around Christmas, but what was its original meaning in Latin??
    1. The Cop and the Taxi Driver in “It’s a Wonderful Life” share their names with which Sesame Street character.
    2. The song “White Christmas” was written for what film?
    3. How many inanimate objects feature in the song “The 12 days of Christmas”?

I know-know the top four, and I think I know the other three (but I probably don't).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

It's a great idea. I'm definitely going to use it for Christmas

I'll stick the answers up in the morning in case anyone comes across it over their morning coffee ;)

Galway Christmas Market Cancelled this year :-(

This made me so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Id sacrifice November if it means we can have a good December/Christmas

Where going into level 3.5/Level 4 in the border counties

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Id sacrifice November if it means we can have a good December/Christmas

Where going into level 3.5/Level 4 in the border counties

With house and garden visits banned nationwide from tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

With house and garden visits banned nationwide from tomorrow night.

Think this will be the end of it after this in terms of people going by the rules. People aren't going to take this for Christmas

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think I may just have had one of the most inspired ideas E-VERRR!!

Mince pies... but instead of cream, use tiramisu cream (without the coffee, obvs). Yes, I know, I'm a genius and I've been underestimated all these years.

(and this is my 60,600th post. :D)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Happy 60,600th, New Home!! :D

Edit: Also, I think I'd just prefer the tiramisu, to be honest. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

New Home wrote: »
    I think I may just have had one of the most inspired ideas E-VERRR!!

Mince pies... but instead of cream, use tiramisu cream (without the coffee, obvs). Yes, I know, I'm a genius and I've been underestimated all these years.

(and this is my 60,600th post. :D)

60,600 wow and I was thrilled with my 16,000th last week :pac:

Congrats. Also good idea with the tiramisu cream.

017AA569B8.jpg?sw=800

gotta love WWE xmas jumpers but as cool as it is i dont think its appropriate for the years that in it and non wrestling fans could be offended

They have a new range of xmas jumpers but i might get something different this year. last 2 years i got WWE ones

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SarahLil wrote: »
    Just sitting on my couch looking out the window while on boards and a tree outside has gone red at the top its so pretty, green on the bottom but red on the top

I heard someone on RTE 1 talking about the coloured leaves last week, not all parts of Ireland are guaranteed the orange and red leaves subject to the weather and elements I suppose...

I miss trees! We have none here except some coniferous imported wrongly. It is too windy

It was the same when I lived in Orkney and my first autumn in Ireland I drove to Knock etc gazing rapt at the trees!

Trust me to end up back in treeless land. I have three huge old fuchsias and that is all

But hey! I have the ocean to gaze at..

Just looking at the November calendar we will probably put up the tree Tuesday 24th or Thursday 26th I am off those days, we'll probably have no Christmas fm by then so might have to listen online or do a playlist

Then when Christmas fm launches I can sit and admire my tree all a glow :)

I don't have a tree indoors; with six cats! But I have a metal outline tree ( sounds odd) which goes atop the gatepost, adorned with my handmade bells and angels and tinsel. I tie it down well.

That goes on on Advent 2. Along with a huge white star nestled in the big fuchsia looking to the lane, draped in tinsel etc. THIS WAY!

TK Lemon wrote: »
    I picked up the Boots gift guide today, looking forward to having a read. :)

I’m (attempting) to knit a scarf as one present for a family member. Kind of wondering what I’ve gotten myself into... :eek: :pac:

If you get stuck? professional knitter here!

Posy wrote: »
    I can't see anything Christmassy on the Homestore and More website yet.

Try Lenehans.ie for Chritsmas stuff. A wonderful array.

This made me so sad.

I traded my knitting and jams etc at Christmas markets and Craft Fairs for years; this is going to impact so many hardworking traders so badly. We relied on these Fairs so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

We started doing this about 3 years as we both have birthdays close to the 25th.

Started with the Shelbourne which was nice, missed booking the following year so had lunch at the Cliff Town House. That was nice but nothing festive really and went to the Westbury last year.

Loved the Westbury, sure it is pricey (€75pp) but we've booked again - bookings opened on 1 September.

Was a mix of people last year...couples, mothers and daughters (some even with a buggy), groups of friends- that may not hapoen this year, anyway there's no way the kids are joining us!

Edit: missed the bit where you went to the Westbury last year. I'd book again....

I love this idea! Which is your favourite?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I wonder if the stalls on Henry street will be allowed this year? That was always a real sign we're in the run up!

Blanchardstown village is having a Christmas market for the first time according to local councillors on social media so would presume some stalls would be allowed on Henry Street

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Caranica wrote: »
    Blanchardstown village is having a Christmas market for the first time according to local councillors on social media so would presume some stalls would be allowed on Henry Street

Really!
    Any idea where in the village?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Caranica wrote: »

I would have thought it would be very hard to do Christmas markets/stalls etc while maintaining social distancing unless the area is huge or you let in very few people at the same time.

I'm sure they have all figured out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Morning everyone weird aul week was feeling abit meh yesterday no particular reason, got out for my walk trying to shake it off, watched some of my favourite TV caught up on posts here but I think it just all the uncertainty,

It doesn't really effect me because I am living day to day like I am like we are in Level 5 for my own health reasons and my mams health, she has emphysema, I do a lot for my mam daily, then the news last night, I think even if you are switching off from it all subconsciously it is effecting us all

I hope everyone is doing ok

Sorry for the downward post guys, only one thing for it some Christmas shopping online I think..:)

DvB wrote: »
    Really!
    Any idea where in the village?

The post just said Main Street. I'm guessing down towards Super Valu where the street is wider

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Morning everyone weird aul week was feeling abit meh yesterday no particular reason, got out for my walk trying to shake it off, watched some of my favourite TV caught up on posts here but I think it just all the uncertainty,

It doesn't really effect me because I am living day to day like I am like we are in Level 5 for my own health reasons and my mams health, she has emphysema, I do a lot for my mam daily, then the news last night, I think even if you are switching off from it all subconsciously it is effecting us all

I hope everyone is doing ok

Sorry for the downward post guys, only one thing for it some Christmas shopping online I think..:)

No need to apologise, I felt the same way last week, feeling more positive this week. The whole Coronavirus leads to alot of ups and downs this year. Do something that makes you happy. And take time for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Agree with Loughc above. I was in terrible form last night with the latest change of plan from the government, given we had planned to go over to my sisters on Saturday for my nephews birthday and was feeling really down first thing, so having dropped the kids to school (its a WFH day) I popped in to Dunnes & bought some fresh scones & just treated myself to one there with a coffee to cheer myself up. I know I'll have to exercise my ass off later to make up for it as I'm watching my calories, but I don't care, needs must & all that!! So do take some time out for yourself & treat yourself a tad, even if its something small.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Same guys. MY OH's brother and wife had a little girl a couple of weeks ago and we were suppose to go over Sunday to see her :( The kids were all excited about seeing their new cousin as well.

Guess we'll just have to see her on Zoom.

Advertisement