Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭endainoz

blue5000 wrote: »
    Indo says christmas is could be cancelled:( wouldn't like to be working in the retail/hospitality sector.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/

That's the big fear right now alright, I'm afraid it could be inevitable at this point.

Getting back to farming related issues, what is the protocol in marts with level 3? Will have a few weanlings to sell soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Aul lads gomming into the mart “for a look”. One with an mask over his mouth and not his nose. The sight thats in front of me. The at risk group have to this for themselves. There has to be targeted approach and right away there is no need for these lads to be here. A retired priest ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Jjameson wrote: »
    Aul lads gomming into the mart “for a look”. One with an mask over his mouth and not his nose. The sight thats in front of me. The at risk group have to this for themselves. There has to be targeted approach and right away there is no need for these lads to be here. A retired priest ffs.

Sorry I know your been serious but I laughed at the image that post put into my head. Feckin oul lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

endainoz wrote: »
    That's the big fear right now alright, I'm afraid it could be inevitable at this point.

Getting back to farming related issues, what is the protocol in marts with level 3? Will have a few weanlings to sell soon.

By the sound of things it could be level 4 protocols shortly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Over a thousand Covid cases today........ looking like it's going to be a lockdown christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Last two weeks in Cavan has been a total **** show of GAA related celebrations and a general decrease in people following the guidelines.

It’s showing now on the cases and hospitalisations.

I get that people are fatigued with restrictions but there’s literally no other option

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »
    Over a thousand Covid cases today........ looking like it's going to be a lockdown christmas

Halloween at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Which year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭morphy87

What’s the story with Marts if we move to level 4?

Which year?

Last Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

whelan2 wrote: »
    Last Christmas

I gave you my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

morphy87 wrote: »

Think it’s L5 they close at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

_Brian wrote: »
    Think it’s L5 they close at.

Local mart had show & sale today
    Garda car was frequenting

Heard on Friday a good friend of the family is currently in ICU. Man is in his early 80s but was one of those men you'd think was in his early 70s if you met him. Lovely character and was very careful. Horrible fckin disease.

Spoke to our mart manager today, she seemed quite hopeful particularly with the advent of MartEye. Once sellers can unload, and buyers can view stock at some point everything else is manageable. A lot of foot traffic around marts is gawkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭morphy87

Spoke to our mart manager today, she seemed quite hopeful particularly with the advent of MartEye. Once sellers can unload, and buyers can view stock at some point everything else is manageable. A lot of foot traffic around marts is gawkers.

Will people still be ringside at level 4? Back our way only buyers are in the mart at the moment sellers drop off their animals without getting out of their vehicles

Will people still be ringside at level 4? Back our way only buyers are in the mart at the moment sellers drop off their animals without getting out of their vehicles

I'm not sure. I sold yesterday and sellers could drop off stock, park up, sort stock, put the sticky number on lots, submit paperwork then leave the yard.

Yard was reopened later for a time for buyers to inspect stock. There was limited places around the ring for buyers plus MartEye. Lots sold in order of number so as a seller I just proceeded to the box as normal.

Just my own opinion but based on ones technological ability once stock can be inspected/handled before the auction then the ring could be closed to everyone except mart staff and all bidding could be done on MartEye. It's one avenue of keeping the show on the road at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We are fortunate in how little Covid is affecting our business, we can get out in the fields, we can buy and sell and if factories were in any other line of business they'd be closed down due to Covid spread......

We are fortunate in how little Covid is affecting our business, we can get out in the fields, we can buy and sell and if factories were in any other line of business they'd be closed down due to Covid spread......

When our lad had to be tested and we were all to self isolate I was even allowed out to farm on condition that I wasn't in contact with anyone, which is the normal situation to be fair. Obviously I couldn't go to a merchants or to the mart or anything else where there would be people.

When our lad had to be tested and we were all to self isolate I was even allowed out to farm on condition that I wasn't in contact with anyone, which is the normal situation to be fair. Obviously I couldn't go to a merchants or to the mart or anything else where there would be people.

Nephew was being tested a few weeks ago. All told to isolate until results came back. They let my niece go in on bus to secondary school. I was livid. knowing they shouldn't.be leaving the house. She's in ty so wasn't going to be missing out on anything. . One rule for them and another for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Very surreal watching a large proportion of society calling for the destruction of their livelihoods. The sooner people start to really feel the effects of what's happening in their pockets the better as the more dragged out this is, the less of a future any of us normal people will have while it provides an amazing opportunity for the super rich to get richer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Buying in the mart yesterday, (would do marteye but my internet is very iffy ATM)
    20 buyers allowed in, no sellers in the box. Sold, and sale confirmed later by seller on the phone.

Very surreal watching a large proportion of society calling for the destruction of their livelihoods. The sooner people start to really feel the effects of what's happening in their pockets the better as the more dragged out this is, the less of a future any of us normal people will have while it provides an amazing opportunity for the super rich to get richer

Christ if I was to respond to that comment I'd be banned.

NcdJd wrote: »

Ah , go on ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

NcdJd wrote: »

Instead actually think about what's going on. There's a minimum of a year of this nonsense ahead of us on the current trajectory, then the mother of all recessions and possibly issues with currency/severe inflation to top it all off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭endainoz

Instead actually think about what's going on. There's a minimum of a year of this nonsense ahead of us on the current trajectory, then the mother of all recessions and possibly issues with currency/severe inflation to top it all off

Right so Bill Gates gets richer, didn't know tin foil hats were allowed in the farming forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

endainoz wrote: »
    Right so Bill Gates gets richer, didn't know tin foil hats were allowed in the farming forum.
    Gemma O'Doherty will be along shortly to inform us all :rolleyes:

Advertisement