Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭endainoz

The marts would nearly get a exemption for a couple of weeks to get the bulk of the selling that's left to do over. Calves being weaned all over the country, they would need to be catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

When will the government be making an announcement about restrictions?

endainoz wrote: »
    The marts would nearly get a exemption for a couple of weeks to get the bulk of the selling that's left to do over. Calves being weaned all over the country, they would need to be catered for.

Hope so, I have ram lambs to clear out yet. Don't mind being caught with ewe lambs or cull ewes even.

whelan2 wrote: »
    When will the government be making an announcement about restrictions?

Has Leo leaked anything yet? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Has Leo leaked anything yet? :confused:

A few replies came into my head there, none of them printable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

tanko wrote: »
    Would marts close completely at level 5, even online selling?

Doubt it. Farming is an essential service. Of course strict protocol will have to be adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Something like 5 people have been known to be reinfected with covid. So herd immunity is possible. Would you agree. interesting to see hotspots moving to new areas now aswell. Will places that have locked down now fare worse over coming winter assuming we face lockdown fatigue.

How did you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭emaherx

wrangler wrote: »
    NEPHAT threatening level 5 for six weeks, feck.
    TBF hospitals will be packed soon if something radical isn't done

They don't get to threaten anything. Level 5 has been their recommendation for the past few weeks. Would seem government may not even discuss the recommendation till next week.

emaherx wrote: »
    They don't get to threaten anything. Level 5 has been their recommendation for the past few weeks. Would seem government may not even discuss the recommendation till next week.

Taoiseach says 'good consideration' will be given to NPHET's Level 5 advice as leaders set to meet tomorrow https://jrnl.ie/5235126

Apparently they will discuss it tomorrow.....

I'd say they'll try to meet half way and put the country on level four for a while before the inevitable level 5 for the whole country, making it very tight to give retail a chance to operate for their busiest time of year. The funny thing is that if they listened to the advice from two weeks ago we would have data by now to see if it had worked or not. But they seem to like dragging out the suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Taoiseach says 'good consideration' will be given to NPHET's Level 5 advice as leaders set to meet tomorrow https://jrnl.ie/5235126

I'd say they'll try to meet half way and put the country on level four for a while before the inevitable level 5 for the whole country, making it very tight to give retail a chance to operate for their busiest time of year. The funny thing is that if they listened to the advice from two weeks ago we would have data by now to see if it had worked or not. But they seem to like dragging out the suffering.

the groundwork hadn't been done to go to Level 5 in terms of bringing the people with them. It would have been a disastrous failure.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    the groundwork hadn't been done to go to Level 5 in terms of bringing the people with them. It would have been a disastrous failure.

A possible failure, now it's more of a guaranteed failure. Losing the Christmas season will be absolutely devastating for many businesses.

Ah, no one should start Christmas shopping until after the 8th of Dec.

The funny thing is that if they listened to the advice from two weeks ago we would have data by now to see if it had worked or not. But they seem to like dragging out the suffering.

Glad I'm not making the decision.
    They can't win, they'll be criticized no matter which way they do it, and it will be long after this is all over that some may agree on what would have been the best path between restriction and allowing the economy to breath a little.

Glad I'm not making the decision.
    They can't win, they'll be criticized no matter which way they do it, and it will be long after this is all over that some may agree on what would have been the best path between restriction and allowing the economy to breath a little.

Agreed it's a rock and a hard place type of situation.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was on farm news on lmfm there the restrictions in place in marts at level 4. They must submit a plan to dvo prior to operating.

Got a reply from my local mart just now. Word from marts in Donegal is sellers drop off stock & must leave. Buyers can buy but no viewing time. We're not in DL but our mart said they have to go by whatever our local DVO tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

NEPHAT are in a very strong position now after the cockup the Government made by ignoring them last Sunday week.
    They're bringing the Government together tomorrow considering the seriousness of the situation, That's how serious they're taking them now.

NEPHAT are in a very strong position now after the cockup the Government made by ignoring them last Sunday week.
    They're bringing the Government together tomorrow considering the seriousness of the situation, That's how serious they're taking them now.

That may be the case, but I'll still stick by what I said. NPHET don't and can't threaten any level only advise, it's still for the government to decide and they still can decide to ignore the advice or go to level 4.

It's NPHET's job to advise based on public health and the government's to try an balance that with protecting the economy.

We are already more locked down than most countries where the virus is more rampant. Like I said earlier I'm glad I'm not making that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The public are calling for level 5.

Opinionated ones even saying we should have been level 5 two weeks ago and we wouldn't be in this situation today.

Government will cave in to pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Theres a bit of a meeting on atm. Must be getting a head start

Reggie. wrote: »
    Theres a bit of a meeting on atm. Must be getting a head start

Clarity is needed this time round for sure. It would be a mistake to leave the decision too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

The public are calling for level 5.

Opinionated ones even saying we should have been level 5 two weeks ago and we wouldn't be in this situation today.

Government will cave in to pressure.

That's a shame....

Current restrictions (level 3 and cop the **** on) only in with a week...

We're gone 2 weeks now from one of the greatest party weekend this country has ever seen...

Looks like Crok on the decrease now..

Just cant imagine how many businesses can ever recover from this...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They need to figure put what to do post any level 5 or whatever as well. Way things are going we could be well be in for spells in and and out of lockdown. In to knock it back a bit and then out once levels are down a bit and back in if/ when they rise again just so the health system can cope.
    One thing I'd hope they should be doing in the background is having someone look at the health system because throwing money at it doesn't and won't work, needs total overhaul covid or no covid

Mooooo wrote: »
    They need to figure put what to do post any level 5 or whatever as well. Way things are going we could be well be in for spells in and and out of lockdown. In to knock it back a bit and then out once levels are down a bit and back in if/ when they rise again just so the health system can cope.

That is the plan I would think, knock it back, hope and be disappointed people might be sensible, up the levels, lockdown, knock it back, hope..... Until a vaccine is arrived at.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

The plan from the start should have been to protect the at risk groups and increase hospital capacity. Luckily we are starting to see this and lockdowns will become a distant memory. It's Way to late though and now we are right back where we started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Blood type O may have a lower risk of infection from coronavirus according to Danish research.
    https://www.hematology.org/newsroom/press-releases/2020/possible-link-between-blood-type-and-covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Blood type O may have a lower risk of infection from coronavirus according to Danish research.
    https://www.hematology.org/newsroom/press-releases/2020/possible-link-between-blood-type-and-covid-19

That's great now all I have to do is find out my blood type

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Looking very serious now with tonight's figures, level 5 on the way from tomorrow night it would seem.

If we had all bought into Level 2/3, the livelyhood of many workers wouldn't be now at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Water John wrote: »
    If we had all bought into Level 2/3, the livelyhood of many workers wouldn't be now at risk.

At the end of the day people's health is more important than any economic consequences really, that's what it boils down to.

Advertisement