Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Much of the population are simply existing with covid-19 and related restrictions atm and it's only going to get worse with every passing day. A total lockdown in the spring did little apart from kicking the can a bit further down the road so I struggle to see what difference another attempt will make. There's no happy solution to this problem but I do believe we could quickly make a bad situation worse. People have and continue to die in this country each day from avoidable causes listed above. There was never much emphasis placed on them but for whatever reason Covid related deaths are regarded as unacceptable.

I believe that out way of life has become unsustainable and this is nature's way of trying to return balance to the equation. We'll be living with the associated fallout from covid-19 for year's to come. However we would be better served imo to try and maintain a viable economy and way of life for the majority rather than attempt to delay the inescapable for a select few.

Fully agree Albert - but you write it a lot more eloquently than I could!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Neddyusa wrote: »
    In any other county Holohan would have been sacked after the cervical check disgrace.
    But we put him in charge of the country for months instead.

Whatever about big Phil, Tony is on another level of narcissism, withstanding the cervical check scandal his handling of nursing homes in the early days of covid and transferring covid positive elderly people from hospital to transmit the disease unchecked throughout nursing homes countrywide on the basis of a triage war like scenario about to unfold on the hospital system was unfathomable...
    It just shows the absolute and almost unquestionable power and status our most senior civil servants hold they are beyond reproach no matter how bad a job they do our laws they break they usually face zero consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭alps

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Whatever about big Phil, Tony is on another level of narcissism, withstanding the cervical check scandal his handling of nursing homes in the early days of covid and transferring covid positive elderly people from hospital to transmit the disease unchecked throughout nursing homes countrywide on the basis of a triage war like scenario about to unfold on the hospital system was unfathomable...
    It just shows the absolute and almost unquestionable power and status our most senior civil servants hold they are beyond reproach no matter how bad a job they do our laws they break they usually face zero consequences

Not any more..

Varadkar's comment re the 40 in NPHET who would never have to go on welfare was a monumental comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Neddyusa wrote: »
    That's antibody testing though, so will only tell if you had recent viral challenge.
    You might have been infected in March and not show antibodies in test now.

Add to that blood antibody response was only likely in a minority of cases. Between a localised antibody response in mucosal surfaces, t cells, those who were simply strong enough to never actually allow an infection to take hold and that the blood samples were taken in June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Water John wrote: »
    I think they got it about right. Level 3 lads and cop yere selves on. The people have 3 weeks to 'flatten the curve'.

To what extent can restrictions actually halt things is questionable. We were hearing about lots of house parties through April/May but cases were falling as social contact was increasing.
    We have introduced masks since then and what have they done?
    To what extent spread will remain through shops, schools and other workplaces is pretty much unknown. Blaming the people for positive numbers is far too simplistic as the biggest factors in it's spread are outside of the control of anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Speaking to someone last
    Night and they say the Government have themselves in an impossible position with the teachers and that’s why they can’t go to L5.

The feeling is the teachers unions would pull the plug and teachers walk from classrooms as they won’t want to be there. The government need to come to some agreement with the unions over this. Chap was saying that it’s likely that it could be L4.5, L4 plus close the schools
    Everyone has different angles and interesting ideas.

The letter from NEPHIT should never have been in the public domain at all, I don’t know how it was released but someone needs a beat down over that.

Maybe without GAA gatherings both on and off the pitch, without religious gatherings inside and outside houses of worship numbers may start to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

alps wrote: »
    Gonna throw another perspective in the mix..

Daughter lives in Dublin, with Nurses and social circles would take in more.

One group of Italian nurses contracted covid back in April, got through fine but have residual issues with taste which for Italians is a bit of a disaster.

Anyway, one of them wanted to head home to Italy to visit parents in August (Italy on green list), so.arranged a test for himself before travelling (as parents elderly).

Shocked when the result came back positive. In consultation with his doctor, he was informed that many who had previously contracted the virus can again test positive to that original event and to ignore the new findings and continue with his trip.

Nurses in the house are finding the same thing happening in their hospital where patients (all tested) are testing positive but had contracted the virus previously in March/April..

The obvious question from this is, how many of the current positives (asked to test as being deemed a close contact) are actually residuals from last spring where the may not have noticed having the virus.

If this happens to be an actual phenomenon, it would answer the current run of low admissions and deaths relative to cases.

If we pull through the next 6 to 8 weeks with this relatively high positive rate but with the corresponding low death rate, it could mean we are looking at the light at the end of the tunnel and a confidence to return to normal while accepting the likelihood of picking up the virus.

If this information is out there in the medical community for months now and we still have a high positive testing rate in the next 6 to 8 weeks we'll be in level 5.

Don't kid yourself. It's become about highlighting how our hospital infrastructure is the worst in Europe according to Nphet and keeping that highlighted by using the threat of level 5 in their box.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Speaking to someone last
    Night and they say the Government have themselves in an impossible position with the teachers and that’s why they can’t go to L5.

The feeling is the teachers unions would pull the plug and teachers walk from classrooms as they won’t want to be there. The government need to come to some agreement with the unions over this. Chap was saying that it’s likely that it could be L4.5, L4 plus close the schools
    Everyone has different angles and interesting ideas.

The letter from NEPHIT should never have been in the public domain at all, I don’t know how it was released but someone needs a beat down over that.

Maybe without GAA gatherings both on and off the pitch, without religious gatherings inside and outside houses of worship numbers may start to go down.

Apparently it was the government who leaked the letter not nephet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If this information is out there in the medical community for months now and we still have a high positive testing rate in the next 6 to 8 weeks we'll be in level 5.

Don't kid yourself. It's become about highlighting how our hospital infrastructure is the worst in Europe according to Nphet and keeping that highlighted by using the threat of level 5 in their box.

We've had the worst health service in Europe for years now, we also have the most expensive health service in Europe per head of population, the whole thing has stank for years now.
    The chickens are coming home to roost now and the schools are no better.
    If the health service was competent we wouldn't be bankrupting businesses due to fear of putting a poor health service under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Teachers saved the day. they won't go in and every one else staying at home.

• Advertisement

teachers walk from classrooms as they won’t want to be there.

My partner is teacher and I can tell ya through the first lockdown herself and the teachers she talks to would have preferred to be in school. Teaching from home over the internet was a ****ing horror story for them. A lot of school management had no plan for remote teaching, all the technology was new and unfamiliar, there were every day technology hurdles to be overcome, kids weren't turning up at the times they were meant to. Every single class took significantly longer than it would have done in a classroom setting. This on top of the usual grind of being locked down, restricted movements, and having kids at home to mind. We both work, particularly coming into the Winter months with short days and frequent bad weather making them shorter still, we have a young family and how do people expect this circle to be squared working longer hours from home, me having to be out, and having to mind kids at the same time. I'm not having a go at you Brian, but it's a cop out making teachers scapegoats. It's like Varadker having a go at Holohan the last night, he didn't do it when he was in the top job but now with Martin unpopular it's politically handy for him to have a clip at Holohan with an eye to the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Apparently it was the government who leaked the letter not nephet

Whoever leaked that letter should be put up against a wall and shot. Things bad enough having to go into level 3 but alot of people worried sick about their jobs and businesses over the weekend.

Brother works for a plant hire company they are all now been put on a 3 day week. Mortgage and kids. Building activitity being reduced due to all the uncertainty out there.

More enforcement of the measures need to be done, no point bringing in restrictions and not having any proper enforcement of the restrictions. Fcking joke shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭endainoz

Gillespy wrote: »
    Cases man. How many cases would we have had in March/April time with proper testing.

Is Boards acting up again or did I read about us maybe having a situation like Northern Italy? Totally unnecessary to be putting that out there, fair enough seven months ago but now?

This really shouldn't have to explained, cases are going up, hospital admissions going up, inevitably deaths will go up. Yes we can treat things better, but we can't cure it yet. 10% of patients still feel effects months after diagnosis. Long term effects are just no known yet.

Boards isn't acting up at all, it's perfectly fine to bring up what happened in Italy. We have a horrendous health system in this country and we will not have the capacity to deal with it. Our beds get filled every winter anyway, regardless of covid or not.

This was an economic decision made by the government, not a health one. Leo was quick to change his tune from a few months ago.

Having my breakfast and listening to eldest lads lecture. Class was to start at 9.30. Lads still coming in now, technical difficulties meant he had to restart the lecture. Would be grand if rural Ireland had a proper broadband service. Must be very stressful on those delivering the lecture

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Six o clock news last night, showing cars from as far south as Cork and Waterford, up in Newry shopping.
    Dear Lord ..... have people even a molecule of cop on??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

I've a very simplistic view on Corona in Ireland at the moment I look on the rising cases and think it's completely down to circumstances. All summer people met up with family and friends but in summer most houses will have window doors open or people met in gardens etc. Now with the weather changing people are meeting in indoors in centrally heated buildinging with little or no movement of air . Put it into farming perspective what happens if you get a viruses into a shed with poor ventilation? It spreads like wild fire and you either have to vaccinate or let it spread and treat the animals accorrdingly.

I suppose there's no point in giving people already confirmed that they had the virus, a vaccine if when it becomes available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I suppose there's no point in giving people already confirmed that they had the virus, a vaccine if when it becomes available?

There's no guarantee, when tested some victims of the virus had no antibodies after. whether a vaccine will create antibodies every time will be interesting

wrangler wrote: »
    There's no guarantee, when tested some victims of the virus had no antibodies after. whether a vaccine will create antibodies every time will be interesting

Yea it'll have the same result as the actual virus.
    However there's t and b cell immunity that gives immunity as well as antibodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Hopefully someone might point me in the right direction. My father was in the doctors late last week. Both doctors have come back positive for covid. Both my father and doctor were wearing masks and were talking for less than 10 minutes. The surgery isn't open today and I rang on numerous occasions and kept getting a voice mail saying they are closed. What should I do next ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭endainoz

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone might point me in the right direction. My father was in the doctors late last week. Both doctors have come back positive for covid. Both my father and doctor were wearing masks and were talking for less than 10 minutes. The surgery isn't open today and I rang on numerous occasions and kept getting a voice mail saying they are closed. What should I do next ?

Get a test, they're free and you'll have results next day. You could call some other local doctor to get referred.

Depends on the vaccine and it’s details.
    Antibodies protection is limited, if the vaccine gave longer protection it would be worth getting.

If you're on the covid tracker app theres a number to ring or I think you can live chat

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I wouldn't take much comfort (sorry) on the 15 min rule. The virus hasn't a stopwatch. Get a test for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He should isolate and family members in contact with him should isolate too. Arrange a test for him and stay isolated until the test comes back negative.

Even with masks, there's still a chance of infection but the exposure rate should be low enough not to cause problems.

I received the results of a test last night at 11 that was done at 3pm yesterday. Kids off school and herself working from home. We were fairly certain the symptoms were due to receiving a flu vaccination last week but better safe than potentially infecting more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

whelan2 wrote: »
    If you're on the covid tracker app theres a number to ring or I think you can live chat

On the App. Doctor got in touch, it was the other doctor who was in the surgery at the time who was positive. My fathers doctor got tested and came back negative.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Chronic lasting effects of Covid-19 infection:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54296223

Can last irrespective of disease severity.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »

Chap who works for me was 12 weeks recovering. He is 52, fit healthy no underlying conditions and wasn’t very sick when positive. Deteriorated afterwards and had three antibiotics retested twice for covid. He hadn’t taken it seriously in the beginning at all. He’s better now back out on the bike and everything.

greysides wrote: »

I've been seeing reports for months of people suffering relatively long term (given how long the virus has been around) effects. For me that's the most concerning thing about Covid and why I go out of my way not to chance picking it up. It'd be one thing if it was an illness one picks up, sick for a week or two then recovery. I saw a relatively young man who had it a while back, he said if he walked 300 meters to the local shop he'd be out of action for the following three days. Not so easy manage a farm with something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Chap who works for me was 12 weeks recovering. He is 52, fit healthy no underlying conditions and wasn’t very sick when positive. Deteriorated afterwards and had three antibiotics retested twice for covid. He hadn’t taken it seriously in the beginning at all. He’s better now back out on the bike and everything.

Just to note this would be classed as a mild infection under the stats as it did not require hospitalisation. So when you are reading stats that 80% of infections are mild, this is one of them. I don't think it meets the lay person's concept of mild :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement