Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭morphy87

Water John wrote: »
    Buying in the mart yesterday, (would do marteye but my internet is very iffy ATM)
    20 buyers allowed in, no sellers in the box. Sold, and sale confirmed later by seller on the phone.

How many were allowed in around the ring the week before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

endainoz wrote: »
    Right so Bill Gates gets richer, didn't know tin foil hats were allowed in the farming forum.

This isn't tinfoil hat stuff. Money supply is being increased exponentially to find covid related spending. More money supply means higher asset prices and lower buying power per unit of currency.
    The rich who have a much larger proportion of their wealth in tangible assets benefit while the average person who is much more reliant on cash, bonds and their wages (which will most likely always lag behind inflation) loses.

Similar occurrences have happened for the last 500 years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

NcdJd wrote: »
    Sorry I know your been serious but I laughed at the image that post put into my head. Feckin oul lads :D

Wished I'd taken a photo of the guy I saw with the mask stuck on the top of his head. Tbh I'm not sure he was even aware it was there :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This isn't tinfoil hat stuff. Money supply is being increased exponentially to find covid related spending. More money supply means higher asset prices and lower buying power per unit of currency.
    The rich who have a much larger proportion of their wealth in tangible assets benefit while the average person who is much more reliant on cash, bonds and their wages (which will most likely always lag behind inflation) loses.

Similar occurrences have happened for the last 500 years

To be honest the key here is balance.

Population needs to realise that yes, there’s 12-18 months of this ahead. L2 restrictions were containing things nicely and then people got complacent and lazy. We need a period of tighter restrictions to get things back down to a manageable level and then lower level restrictions would do, but only if people buy in and behave.

I think pubs need to stay closed for a longer period amd maybe this is a chance to rethink i our relationship with alcohol altogether, I’m Not sure wet pubs have a place at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

morphy87 wrote: »
    How many were allowed in around the ring the week before?
    Probably double, seating distance moved from one to two metres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

A couple of very barbed posts directed at Yesemotie sam here.
    I didn't share his vewpoint here back in the Spring. But as time has gone on, I certainly do now.
    Whether you agree with him or not, theres no need for snide comments.
    He has been consistently one of the most knowledgeable posters in the thread bringing a balanced perspective to what borders on hysteria at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Instead actually think about what's going on. There's a minimum of a year of this nonsense ahead of us on the current trajectory, then the mother of all recessions and possibly issues with currency/severe inflation to top it all off

Neddy is right, apologies Sam for for my response to your post there. Caught me on a bad day. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I should not rubbish people in here if I don't agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

County football team caught having a big sitdown meal and drinks after has match yesterday in the West. Locals reported to the gardai and funtion was shut down talk is there was 60+ people in a parish hall .

Was in the north this morning.

Very little effort being made at all. Went into a cafe and we were only people wearing masks, group of church goers came in and it was handshakes and hugs all round. No social distancing at all. These are all basic things at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »

Very little effort being made at all. Went into a cafe and we were only people wearing masks, group of church goers came in and it was handshakes and hugs all round. No social distancing at all. These are all basic things at this stage.

Oh said the same last week when he was delivering a load of steel. He was the only one wearing a mask. No wonder their figures are crazy

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Oh said the same last week when he was delivering a load of steel. He was the only one wearing a mask. No wonder their figures are crazy

Yea.
    Even the athletes were arriving 4-5 per car and no masks where direction for atheletes from the south is zero car sharing at all. We had two swimmers and brought two cars.

Yea.
    Even the athletes were arriving 4-5 per car and no masks where direction for atheletes from the south is zero car sharing at all. We had two swimmers and brought two cars.

Eldest lad was entered into a 5k race in down royal yesterday. He didnt go. 250 people ran in it. Madness. There was a 10k and half marathon too

Eldest lad was entered into a 5k race in down royal yesterday. He didnt go. 250 people ran in it. Madness. There was a 10k and half marathon too

Eldest said the layout for training was brilliant in fairness, no more than 6 to a 50m lane and all staggered start points son o gathering together. But this coach is a stickler for doing things well. We’ve no competitions planned, just glad she’s training during LC year because otherwise it could be down a rabbit hole of books, books, books which isn’t healthy at all.

I think there's a lot of pressure on them to do well at school in case the leaving cert works out like this year

I think there's a lot of pressure on them to do well at school in case the leaving cert works out like this year

She was saying afternoons are very difficult.

With all the windows and door open it’s cold and draughty, with classes increased from 40 to 60 minutes and double afternoon class is 2 hours sitting in one place with the mask on in the cold. Not an ideal learning environment but they are making the best of what they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just a quick look at the incidence across each county. Take a look at Clare...
    https://twitter.com/Clearpreso/status/1315305025539891201?s=19
    T6PuNsu.jpg

Sweden seems to be missing their targets for acquiring herd immunity and remains vulnerable to a second wave.

https://www.rsm.ac.uk/media-releases/2020/covid-19-herd-immunity-in-sweden-fails-to-materialise/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Reggie. wrote: »

The WHO haven't forced anyone to do anything. they have no legal power. They have to sue their own Govn't and good luck with that.

So our young lad had a test in September and had another just this week. Both results negative. He has a dirty cold but he's prone to them in a normal year. The difference between the two tests is when the first test results came back negative we could go back about our lives once he wasn't a close contact of a Covid patient. But, the second test we must still self isolate for 48 hours AFTER his symptoms clear up. That's quite a difference in time and sends a message about how the virus is in the country.

• Advertisement

See the government are meeting about putting more restrictions in border counties. Louth had less than 5 cases yesterday.

See the government are meeting about putting more restrictions in border counties. Louth had less than 5 cases yesterday.

They are very sluggish in their reaction with the virus surging ahead of them unchecked. Donegal, cavan and Monaghan should have been at L4 two weeks ago. Their focus seems to be more on showing their importance above NEPHET rather than dealing with the situation. Leo seems to have stopped the best interest of the country and gone right back to scoring points for his political career. Michael is at sea, not seeming to know what is the right thing to do. Donnelly is trying too hard to seem intelligent and in control but is coming across as conceited and smug. Between them they have lost the buy in of the public.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Largest COVID-19 contact tracing study to date finds children key to spread, evidence of superspreaders.

Extracts:

A study of more than a half-million people in India who were exposed to the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 suggests that the virus’ continued spread is driven by only a small percentage of those who become infected.

The researchers found that 71% of infected individuals did not infect any of their contacts, while a mere 8% of infected individuals accounted for 60% of new infections.

The researchers found that the chances of a person with coronavirus, regardless of their age, passing it on to a close contact ranged from 2.6% in the community to 9% in the household. The researchers found that children and young adults — who made up one-third of COVID cases — were especially key to transmitting the virus in the studied populations.

“Kids are very efficient transmitters in this setting, which is something that hasn’t been firmly established in previous studies,” Laxminarayan said. “We found that reported cases and deaths have been more concentrated in younger cohorts than we expected based on observations in higher-income countries.”

Children and young adults were much more likely to contract coronavirus from people their own age, the study found. Across all age groups, people had a greater chance of catching the coronavirus from someone their own age. The overall probability of catching coronavirus ranged from 4.7% for low-risk contacts up to 10.7% for high-risk contacts.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/09/30/largest-covid-19-contact-tracing-study-date-finds-children-key-spread-evidence

If my maths are correct and :

71% ----> 0% new cases

8% ----> 60% new cases

then

21% ----> 40% new cases

The disease (in India) is being kept going by just 29% cases.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

emaherx wrote: »
    There are 3 marquee's up outside some houses in a housing estate up the road from me and cars parked up all along the main road in front of the estate since the weekend. Doubt the Gardaí will have the balls to visit that particular gathering though.

Just heard on lmfm of an outbreak in the traveller community in navan. Following a function which had 3 marquees on the green of a council estate

Just heard on lmfm of an outbreak in the traveller community in navan. Following a function which had 3 marquees on the green of a council estate

Same down here, a christening in Killarney, by most accounts, and relations from Tralee and Listowel travelled for the party. And that's on top of most of the Garda traffic corps catching it as well.

This isn't going to end well:eek:

Some are referencing the Swedish model f response to Coronavirus.

https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/

I'm not sure we need that type of response, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Some are referencing the Swedish model f response to Coronavirus.

https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/

I'm not sure we need that type of response, tbh.

Gave up reading before the end but that is one very biased article Buford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Same down here, a christening in Killarney, by most accounts, and relations from Tralee and Listowel travelled for the party. And that's on top of most of the Garda traffic corps catching it as well.

This isn't going to end well:eek:

Seriously - why the need to constantly blame people (neighbor's/young people/christenings)?!

This is a highly transmissible virus that's been in every parish in the country since spring.

Trying to stop or eradicate it now is as effective as trying to stop the rain falling from the sky or the sun setting in the west.

It's long past the time to stop blaming people and to get on with our lives while taking precautions around the small cohort of vulnerable people.
    Coronaviruses will be around long after we are all gone!!

Do the people blaming sports teams/young people/travellers/insert "somebody else" here, also need to blame someone when their child gets chickenpox?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭emaherx

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Seriously - why the need to constantly blame people (neighbor's/young people/christenings)?!

This is a highly transmissible virus that's been in every parish in the country since spring.

Trying to stop or eradicate it now is as effective as trying to stop the rain falling from the sky or the sun setting in the west.

It's long past the time to stop blaming people and to get on with our lives while taking precautions around the small cohort of vulnerable people.

Do the people blaming sports teams/young people/travellers/insert "somebody else" here, also need to blame someone when their child gets chickenpox?!

That's a bit simplistic, the people up the road from me had marquees up partying for a full week while blocking the road into town with their cars including the area in front of a school where kids are dropped off and picked up. It's a bit more than just blaming people for having a few people to a christening.

A farmer who hosted a wedding on his own land got a very hefty fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Neddyusa wrote: »

I don't know if its about blame, so much as it is people not sticking to the communicated rules...
    We have rules to limit the spread, and everyone should stick to them. Sure, the virus is highly transmissible, and it might spread even though people are trying their best.
    But, if people aren't, and they are all packed together into a small space for hours - they should be called out on it.
    precautions around the small cohort of vulnerable people.

Its a hard one to implement in reality I think...
    I believe its accepted that one vulnerable cohort are people aged over 70?
    Lets say everyone under 70 mixes away as normal - sports, pub, etc. Who then interacts with the 70+ people?
    Should all children & grandchildren stay away from them? Where do you draw the line?

I guess the big question is - are we happy to let the majority live carefree, unimpacted lives - knowing that a certain 'vulnerable' minority could pay heavily for it?

Advertisement