Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

wes wrote: »
    Way I see it, we lockdown now and we can maybe save Christmas, and this time round we need to coordinate with the North, boost our contact tracing capabilities, and go for a 0 covid island approach. Everyone coming into the country need to quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks regardless, and if we do things right, we can be like New Zealand, Vietnam etc.

Yes.
    I think they have got such a fright in recent days up north that they would be in agreement .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

My child is not in the same year as the sick child but we do have someone recovering from cancer in our home. I am worried.
    Giving medical advice is not allowed here, but it sounds like you would be less worried if you kept your child home.

My child is not in the same year as the sick child but we do have someone recovering from cancer in our home. I am worried.

Of course.
    If I were you then I would wait and contact the school tomorrow.
    You have legitimate reason for concern , but if not in your child's year it may not be a problem .
    Might have to wait until the contacts pan out.
    Request that somebody contacts you back from Public Health .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes.
    I think they have got such a fright in recent days up north that they would be in agreement .

Could they even call a full lockdown including Borders without the UK say so??

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Could they even call a full lockdown including Borders without the UK say so??

I don't know .
    I think they did up the restrictions and close schools in March before Boris did in UK .
    Would be difficult and they couldn't close to UK border , I would imagine .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I don't know .
    I think they did up the restrictions and close schools in March before Boris did in UK .
    Would be difficult and they couldn't close to UK border , I would imagine .

I wonder if they could have people coming in quarantine for 2 weeks in a hotel. It would not be a closed border per se, the people would still be able to enter the North, they would just have to quarantine for 2 weeks. Might be a work around.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thinking more about the NI situation.

How many up there have relatives in the Republic? To put them up ?

Of those who do many relatives might not be willing to ? Could be 50/50

90% wont be of the resources to be able to utilize hotels / rent houses for any worthwhile degree of time that could ensure safety.

There’d be a school of thinking that even there, they might be better in the environment they know, restrictions on their movements and contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wonder if they could have people coming in quarantine for 2 weeks in a hotel. It would not be a closed border per se, the people would still be able to enter the North, they would just have to quarantine for 2 weeks. Might be a work around.

It would work. Impossible to police I’d guess though unfortunately. Having been up there a few times and knowing the psychological makeup to an ‘extent’, I’d expect low compliance.

High reward to the people from there , higher risk to the state and its people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Strumms wrote: »
    It would work. Impossible to police I’d guess though unfortunately. Having been up there a few times and knowing the psychological makeup to an ‘extent’, I’d expect low compliance.

High reward to the people from there , higher risk to the state and its people here.

I was thinking people coming from the rest of the UK and elsewhere would quarantine. Ireland and Northen Ireland would basically both have to follow a 0 covid strategy.

Anyone coming to the island would have to be quarantined in hotels chosen by the government and guarded by the relevant authorities, with stiff penalties for those violating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Great, I think everyone is gone to bed, like I am just about too. But while everyone was understandably de-stressing from the shock leak by bickering, I went searching online to see what I could find.;)

So what is the real reasons behind wanting to jump levels? Well watch this video. It is not that we exactly have a huge increase hospitalizations/ICU covid admissions, (which are at a lower percentage per cases this time round but growing slowly but steadily).

It is the backlog (from earlier in the year and historical) of outpatient appointments and surgery's right across the departments in hospitals coinciding with increased emergency department visits by high risk/older/vulnerable people, who probably put off going and are now presenting with more complex issues. A lack of capacity, staff covid burnout and Gp's this retiring also mentioned.

From the Royal College of surgeons of Ireland, discussing the situation 2 weeks ago, re the hospitals in Cork, Limerick, Galway/west and Belfast/North.(before recent numbers) @ 5mins/18mins/39mins/57mins.

Note the mention of level 5 in the first two minutes.

I blame all government parties over the last 20 years for their lack of investment in the public health service and the HSE for the lack of reorganising it.

And more recently, Nephet/government for not treating us like adults, and imparting to us the Irish people, the likes of the information in this video. It should have been on prime time TV even replacing an hour of the Late Late Show. So we all could have an informed debate, on how to balance the interdependence of economy and health care going into the next year. We could have let the Irish people start thinking of creative ideas to help.

I am as mad as hell because of the lack of transparency from Nephet/HSE and the government... grow up and treat us as adults and stop blaming every sector of society as breaking restrictions/regulations while your own house needs to get into order.:mad:

Rant over, I am going to bed now with a video/research paper talking about of how Bahrain turned the 3rd floor of a car park into an ICU in 7days with 130 beds!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Russman

Couple of points,

For all the advocates of shielding the vulnerable and carrying on regardless, if social distancing and mask wearing and precautions are gone by the wayside now (certainly for a percentage of the population), what makes anyone think they will be observed by those who are not shielding, when in contact with the vulnerable ? I mean at the moment it’s supposed to be part of our daily existence but if it’s not even that, there’s even less chance it will be done imo.

What’s the point of level 5 if the schools are going to stay open ? It seems obvious that teenagers mixing is having an impact - the size of the impact is perhaps open to debate, but I’d argue (granted without numbers) that there’s more spread via kids in school than there is in your average shop or restaurant.

While I think an all island approach to try get to zero COVID is great in theory, it’s just not workable. Half the politicians up there would rather get the virus than be seen to do the same as us or to match up our approaches. It’s just a bridge too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

speckle wrote: »
    Great, I think everyone is gone to bed, like I am just about too. But while everyone was understandably de-stressing from the shock leak by bickering, I went searching online to see what I could find.;)

So what is the real reasons behind wanting to jump levels? Well watch this video. It is not that we exactly have a huge increase hospitalizations/ICU covid admissions, (which are at a lower percentage per cases this time round but growing slowly but steadily).

It is the backlog (from earlier in the year and historical) of outpatient appointments and surgery's right across the departments in hospitals coinciding with increased emergency department visits by high risk/older/vulnerable people, who probably put off going and are now presenting with more complex issues. A lack of capacity, staff covid burnout and Gp's this retiring also mentioned.

From the Royal College of surgeons of Ireland, discussing the situation 2 weeks ago, re the hospitals in Cork, Limerick, Galway/west and Belfast/North.(before recent numbers) @ 5mins/18mins/39mins/57mins.

Note the mention of level 5 in the first two minutes.

I blame all government parties over the last 20 years for their lack of investment in the public health service and the HSE for the lack of reorganising it.

And more recently, Nephet/government for not treating us like adults, and imparting to us the Irish people, the likes of the information in this video. It should have been on prime time TV even replacing an hour of the Late Late Show. So we all could have an informed debate, on how to balance the interdependence of economy and health care going into the next year. We could have let the Irish people start thinking of creative ideas to help.

I am as mad as hell because of the lack of transparency from Nephet/HSE and the government... grow up and treat us as adults and stop blaming every sector of society as breaking restrictions/regulations while your own house needs to get into order.:mad:

Rant over, I am going to bed now with a video/research paper talking about of how Bahrain turned the 3rd floor of a car park into an ICU in 7days with 130 beds!:)

We spend almost a quarter of our money on health but its a total black hole with a bloated HSE with zero accountability

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Way I see it, we lockdown now and we can maybe save Christmas, and this time round we need to coordinate with the North, boost our contact tracing capabilities, and go for a 0 covid island approach. Everyone coming into the country need to quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks regardless, and if we do things right, we can be like New Zealand, Vietnam etc.

I don't give a hoot about Xmas but i do think zero Covid will have now have to be seriously looked at. We simply can not go on opening and reclosing businesses like this until the vaccine comes along which could be 6 months, a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

So, what we are hearing is that the main risks are people having parties in homes etc. Plus university students letting off steam. What we are not hearing (officially) are the issues in respect to schools.

So what is the solution - let’s close all non essential businesses who in the round have been very compliant. That means Ikea, hardware stores, clothes shops, shopping centres. Business who invested to keep customers and staff safe (and to a large extent did so). Are construction sites to close? What about marts? And factories?

The level of uncertainty this bomb has introduced will shake society and the economy. Only last Thursday they decided not to recommend moving counties with increasing numbers to level 3. They have been very political in recent weeks - off record briefings to journalists, comments in respect to Govt.

In the meantime we have had excuse after excuse from the health service on contact tracing and capacity. Still no additional capacity. They are blaming everyone except themselves. We have given billions to them year after year - the health service looks for problems not solutions. They had a blank chequebook and did not even know what to do with it. The vested interests (certainly not nurses) and dire management in the health service are what are to blame - yet already they are blaming Govt and the taxpayer for not resourcing them. We have resourced them - they just did not deliver.

I don't give a hoot about Xmas but i do think zero Covid will have now have to be seriously looked at. We simply can not go on opening and reclosing businesses like this until the vaccine comes along which could be 6 months, a year or two.

Zero Covid is theoretical. And don’t pretend to be a friend of business. Zero Covid will lead to 100,000ks of permanent job losses as it will hit the MNE sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's exactly what ZeroCovid requires as well. Any defined or promised timelines to clear out the virus are just guesswork. Zero Covid also brings the risk of a lot more mental health issues. It's the behavioural stuff we need to get a handle on and for people to understand that it is not life as usual nor can it be for a good while longer. Most people can manage that with a more limited approach to social contacts.

Someone has been listening to the mood music from Government.

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1312979027918049280?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

According to the wireless there will be nothing happening Re the level 5 today.no cabinet meeting until Tuesday and Leo needs time to watch 3 lord of the rings and 3 hobbit films to find a suitable poem.
    Michael martin has also vowed to have all Harry Potter films watched by Tuesday and have some inspirational quotes sourced.
    All systems are go.

Someone has been listening to the mood music from Government.

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1312979027918049280?s=21
    I'd call it the common sense approach and people do need to hear a good bit more of that after yesterday's bombshell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

According to the wireless there will be nothing happening Re the level 5 today.no cabinet meeting until Tuesday and Leo needs time to watch 3 lord of the rings and 3 hobbit films to find a suitable poem.
    Michael martin has also vowed to have all Harry Potter films watched by Tuesday and have some inspirational quotes sourced.
    All systems are go.

..... and Eamon Ryan will watch Sleeping Beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Seems like Phase 4 announcement tomorrow evening effective midnight tomorrow. Is that the most likely outcome?

JTMan wrote: »
    Seems like Phase 4 announcement tomorrow evening effective midnight tomorrow. Is that the most likely outcome?
    For Dublin sure but whatever the decision it'll need a good bit of decent communication from the Govt to calm people down.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Zero covid is an impossible pipe dream and shouldn't even be in the conversation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

All systems are go.

Is that rambling nonsense all you have to offer? Grow the fcuk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

All systems are go.

That will be the most work mehole has done in his lifetime.
    He won’t be able

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

JTMan wrote: »

Looking like it will be the most likely outcome at this point yes. The real question is will that be enough to slow down the spread of the virus? I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Zero covid is an impossible pipe dream and shouldn't even be in the conversation.

All of Europe preparing for a 2nd lockdown , while NZ is open. Zero Covid not a pipedream . Most public health experts agree

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1312909509120196610

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has the letter from NPHET last night been published?
    Would like to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Had partner in hospital for last number of days ... she was test for covid while going in ...yet none of the medical or hospital staff are tested ever, let alone regularly!! And yet it was hospital staff that caused a wide spread of the virus to the elderly and vulnerable previously!! Absolutely ridiculous (even the staff there she spoke to thinks it’s mad)

All hospital and nursing home staff should be getting checked weekly! And temperature checks on all visitors to the hospital /nursing home .

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    All of Europe preparing for a 2nd lockdown , while NZ is open. Zero Covid not a pipedream . Most public health experts agree

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1312909509120196610
    It's 5m people in the middle of nowhere with closed borders versus a population of 750m! They've also had a 2nd lockdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement