Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think it’s accurate to say any remaining support for NEPHET has now gone

I'd wait and see what the official recommendations are and based on what data before I make a judgement.... but yeah it seems ****ed up. No stage 3/4, just to stage 5, that seems a total misstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Easy choice?? No its not because its international law and your utterly clueless as to how that works.

I'm done even discussing it with you at this stage. A child would have more concept of international law than you would.

"Bits of paper" is an international treaty which trumps any of your crack pot theory.

I actually can't believe that there's People advocating for a breach of international law

Insane .
    That sounds like a recent suggestion of Boris Johnson's ...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I knew Dr Tony wouldn’t let us down guys, he’s such a total ledge. That said, word on the street here in Dalkey is that they are softening us up for a level 4.5.

Strumms wrote: »
    Hmmm .... We’d be getting into a legal debate here that perhaps neither of us have the benefit of being able to enlighten each other on..

But if you had a home somewhere else you not be going back to zilch.

True, but if you only had an Irish passport (like many in Northern Ireland)
    I'm not talking about dual citizenship here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I'd wait and see what the official recommendations are and based on what data before I make a judgement.... but yeah it seems ****ed up. No stage 3/4, just to stage 5, that seems a total misstep.

Skipping a step but things seem to have escalated VERY quickly. It’s probably warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Ah good luck, I'm not the one that wants to piss away the GFA and break international law while talking absolute nonsense, your a great man for saying do this and do that while giving absolutely no means to doing anything apart from breaching international law.

I'm done after this post because your honestly not worth it.

Oh I'm worth it, like Maybelline says. Even L'Oreal.

When the arse is hanging out your trousers next spring, and the country's too, you'll be onboard for solutions.

Argue for no change, you'll get what you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gradius wrote: »
    Oh I'm worth it, like Maybelline says.

When the arse is hanging out your trousers next spring, and the country's too, you'll be onboard for solutions.

Argue for no change, you'll get what you deserve.

Yeah no I'd still rather abide by international law to be honest.

By all means you can advocate the pissing away of the GFA but you'll be in a very small minority

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I agree. However say some have good headstart and if proven working why would have EU regulator problem to approve them?
    Because it is politics and money.
    Say hypothetically all chinese, russian and western vaccines will work (sci-fi scenario). Do you think EU regulator will approve Chinese one which most likely come at a fraction of price? Not going to happen. Governments already pre-purchased millions of doses of something which does not exist yet and nobody even knows if it will work. Not to mention that EU regulator is still out of picture despite multiple purchase orders placed.

Would rather wait for AZ or Moderna than the Russian or Chinese vaccine .
    But if you want to go get a flight to Moscow or Beijing , we will all pitch in to pay for your ticket and you can let us know how you get on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm not going to pretend that I'm totally on board with this latest development. It all seems shocking and sudden, numerous questions about communication and the squandering of time up to this.

But, if you look at it coldly, cases are increasing and show no signs of slowing down.

What we're currently doing is not stopping the spread of the virus, this can't be denied. If we continue on this present course we're looking at 1300-1400 cases per day by the end of this month and about 400 people in hospital. Which is roughly speaking where we were when lockdown was first imposed. If we don't do anything then things will only get worse - anyone who disputes this isfor the birds. We could, in fact we probably will, have to enter level five when it gets to that stage. So by going to that stage when things are merely just bad, as opposed to waiting until things inevitably become worse is attempting to get ahead of things before it becomes too late. Waiting until then in the long run makes thing far more grim and drawn out.

I'm as taken aback as anyone, but, after thinking about it a bit, I think the end point if we continue on our present course is obvious, even if that's hard to accept for a lot of people. But waiting for that end point to arrive lessens the semblance of control you eventually have.

I think the discussion right now in Ireland is going to be had in one form or another by every country in Europe over the next few weeks.

Talk of level 5 was dropped like an anvil into everyone's life this evening, but think back over everything that's been coming out of press briefings for the last number of weeks. They know the score, they've been begging us to pay heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Can I ask everybody what they would do if the school their child attends had a covid diagnosis during the weekend. The covid case is not in my child’s year so he is expected to be present at school after the weekend. What would you do would you let your child back to school?

• Advertisement

They may well be, still doesn't mean you chuck an international treaty into the firing line

Yes, absolutely, am agreeing with you here ;)

Yeah no I'd still rather abide by international law to be honest.

By all means you can advocate the pissing away of the GFA but you'll be in a very small minority

Yeah sure there's a bit of nutrition in paper and your children will love it for dinner when the country's broke down.

Strumms wrote: »
    Skipping a step but things seem to have escalated VERY quickly. It’s probably warranted.

I dunno, ignoring today's cases, as we don't know the swab data (to get an idea of the number of tests and positive cases etc...) did they suddenly realize that those being admitted tested positive months ago and there's a massive wall of admissions about to hit us?
    Was there another massive backlog from Germany that has a massive spike in positivity etc.... it just seems like a massive escalation in such a short time.
    Only last week they didn't recommend some counties go to stage 3. Now all of a sudden all have to go to stage 5?

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Insane .
    That sounds like a recent suggestion of Boris Johnson's ...

If they weren't actually serious you'd laugh.

We should just rip up any legally binding agreements.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Can I ask everybody what they would do if the school their child attends had a covid diagnosis during the weekend. The covid case is not in my child’s year so he is expected to be present at school after the weekend. What would you do would you let your child back to school?

If their pod was not involved and nobody in it has shown symptoms I’d send them to school yes. If they were close contact they would be notified and sent for testing.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think it’s accurate to say any remaining support for NEPHET has now gone

I think you are wrong there :)
    See how that works ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Are you or anyone at home in the vulnerable groups? Anyone in regular contact with someone in the vulnerable groups with caring/work? If the answer is yes then I would keep the child home. If no then I think it's OK to go. Assess the risk to your family and people you have to be in contact with.

Yes, absolutely, am agreeing with you here ;)

Oh yeah I know, referencing the crackpot theories being thrown around by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Way I see it, we lockdown now and we can maybe save Christmas, and this time round we need to coordinate with the North, boost our contact tracing capabilities, and go for a 0 covid island approach. Everyone coming into the country need to quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks regardless, and if we do things right, we can be like New Zealand, Vietnam etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I knew Dr Tony wouldn’t let us down guys, he’s such a total ledge. That said, word on the street here in Dalkey is that they are softening us up for a level 4.5.
    My sister is the captain of the Irish naval service and she said they've set up a perimeter around Ireland and they're shooting defectors on sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Polar101

For me the Level 5 recommendation doesn't make much sense, and I'd be quite surprised if it actually happened. We got a "Living with Covid" plan in September, it's been less than a month since it was launched (hasn't it?).

I'd understand if we had been seeing something like "Level 2 -> things getting worse -> Level 3 -> things getting worse -> Level 4", but now there's 2 counties on Level 3ish, and 24 on Level 2. So jumping straight to Level 5 would be odd, and in my opinion it would also mean ditching of the plan.

I could be wrong, but I don't see Level 5 happening (right now, that is) - if it did, then it definitely would mean the Plan was a joke. It was called "medium term plan for 6-9 months", not "forget about the plan in 3 weeks".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm not going to pretend that I'm totally on board with this latest development. It all seems shocking and sudden, numerous questions about communication and the squandering of time up to this.

But, if you look at it coldly, cases are increasing and show no signs of slowing down.

What we're currently doing is not stopping the spread of the virus, this can't be denied. If we continue on this present course we're looking at 1300-1400 cases per day by the end of this month and about 400 people in hospital. Which is roughly speaking where we were when lockdown was first imposed. If we don't do anything then things will only get worse - anyone who disputes this isfor the birds. We could, in fact we probably will, have to enter level five when it gets to that stage. So by going to that stage when things are merely just bad, as opposed to waiting until things inevitably become worse is attempting to get ahead of things before it becomes too late. Waiting until then in the long run makes thing far more grim and drawn out.

I'm as taken aback as anyone, but, after thinking about it a bit, I think the end point if we continue on our present course is obvious, even if that's hard to accept for a lot of people. But waiting for that end point to arrive lessens the semblance of control you eventually have.

I think the discussion right now in Ireland is going to be had in one form or another by every country in Europe over the next few weeks.

Talk of level 5 was dropped like an anvil into everyone's life this evening, but think back over everything that's been coming out of press briefings for the last number of weeks. They know the score, they've been begging us to pay heed.

But unfortunately a sizeable number of moronic fcukwits have been ignoring it so they can have their fcuking house parties and are wholly responsible for what will be coming our way soon. They are and will be the first to moan and whinge when it happens.

Arghus wrote: »

I am the same . Shocked , that they seem to be jumping so fast to level 5 .
    But on the basis of those numbers I am thinking that they don't want to let it get to where we were last March , where hospitals had to stop everything else except emergencies and schools closed . Nobody wants that .
    Guess we'll just have to wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Yes . Why would you not ?
    Is your child a contact ?

If they weren't actually serious you'd laugh.

We should just rip up any legally binding agreements.....

Would play directly into Conservative and Unionist hands .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Yes . Why would you not ?
    Is your child a contact ?

My child is not in the same year as the sick child but we do have someone recovering from cancer in our home. I am worried.

The current strategy is to keep people locked down until a vaccine arrives.

It's a terrible plan because it is based on a hypothetical.

If a vaccine fails to materialise by next June, what then?

We need to act on what we know now and plan accordingly now. People are going to get less and less compliant the more that they are told to hunker down while the country sinks for no solid exit in sight.

Oh the politicians will fight tooth and nail under pressure from lobbies to keep things "going". But the increasingly obvious fact is they aren't saving anything ANYWAY. It's for nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are they trying to perhaps absolve themselves of responsibility?

Announce something ridiculous that people will never abide by and then afterwards say, "Well, look guys, we asked but ye didn't listen - 'tis your own fault..."

Would play directly into Conservative and Unionist hands .

Yeah they'd be rubbing their hands while on ventilators the way things are going.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

You can choose to do whatever you're comfortable with. I would be avoiding that place like the actual plague.

I spoke with a former colleague today. On Monday a student was sent home with an appalling cough, the mother sent him back in Thursday with the cough after getting worse. He revealed he'd never been to the GP and his sister was at home all week sick too. Mam was called, said she was holding off until Monday to go to the GP because the sister's communion party was during the weekend.

The school have no recourse if she still doesn't bring him to the GP on Monday. In that instance, it won't be until someone else tests positive that a case will be detected in the pod. He gets a bus to school with children from several other pods.

I've seen enough in the last month to know that schools are the #1 drivers. If you value your health and that of your family, I highly recommend staying well away from them herein.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement