Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The common good?

The virus is a threat to a very, very small minority of people in the state.

And we have thrown a huge number of people out of work, potentially closed down a vast number of businesses for good, pushed cancer screenings out by a year among a whole host of problems.

But here you are virtue signalling.

Despite the fantasies of so many headcases on here, it's not 1918.

"Go away with your democracy". Yeah, that sums you up all right. To hell with people's rights.

That virtue signalling is just a camouflage to mask that it is they who are scared to death from this. You know it sounds better to say we do this to protect old and vulnerable as opposed to say we should do this because I am afraid to catch it.
    Old and vulnerable - most of them already know what to do to be as safe as possible from this virus or any ther threats. Being one of them I am in awe how many people wants to save me by introducing ridiculous and plain crazy solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Infinity better than the drivel you are posting. Close a non existent border. lol.

Man, you must really be backed into a corner :p

Can't even give a brief outline of an idea? An idea of an idea, even?

Let's hear it.

What's your idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Gradius wrote: »
    If I told you I have 42 degrees, would that improve my credibility with you? No, it wouldn't. So there's no point asking.

I outlines my idea.

Now, for the umpteenth time, let's hear your idea.

You're here telling us all to close the border.

You haven't offered one realistic way of achieving this.

Back up your notions with some credible evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Why wait?

I'd be optimistic at least 1 vaccine candidate will be approved this side of Christmas. If not, the 6 months is enough time for the phase 3 trials (pretty much public trials) in russia to show results.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    That few? can you show your workings?
    It would be really beneficial if we end up with a hard brexit and the UK doing what you love.... tearing up international agreements/law.

What's your plan?

Or are you only good for maintaining the disastrous status quo?

It's one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Of course they do.

Yet people go out and pollute the atmosphere every day in their cars.

Have you any idea of the numbers killed by air pollution?

What about those who will die due to cancer screenings being pushed out by a year?

Do those people not count?

Only covid related deaths count, is it?

Air pollution is not a huge problem in Ireland and people cannot get cancer screening because of selfish people spreading Covid, so you could count these as Covid deaths aldo

What's your plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What's your plan?

Not to **** my pants like yourself and retreat into a cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,107 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ah.

Yet we only have guidelines for covid.

So you want people to adhere to guidelines to save lives from covid, but you've no problem with people being killed by air pollution.

Never mind your whatabouttery crap, how's that dose of hypocrisy?

We have guidelines for emissions and pollution, laws too ,you've been told that.

If we could get similar compliance for covid, happy days...

But...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The border couldn't be sealed during guerilla wars of the past.

And today people have maps on their phones.

The only calls for a border closure is from extremists and trolls.

• Advertisement

What's your plan?

Infinity better than the drivel you are posting. Close a non existent border. lol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland–United_Kingdom_border

Non existent you say

Non controlled yes, non existent no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Strumms wrote: »
    People have the right be be healthy and alive.

What?

You got me curious too, I’m sure somebody will be along any minute once the get their collective heads out of their whataboutery sandbox.

I'm thinking those people don't realize Covid is a highly transmissible virus.
    We've accepted it's not right to smoke publicly in enclosed areas, but one breath of a puff of cigarette smoke wouldn't cause you to get cancer and be dead within a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Man, you must really be backed into a corner :p

Can't even give a brief outline of an idea? An idea of an idea, even?

Let's hear it.

What's your idea?

I'm not backed into a corner at all. I'm well aware of how porous the hard border was when the BA/DF patrolled it. Since the late 90's we have no border due to an international treaty ratified by a referendum here that you seem clueless about.
    As I said in a different response we have to learn to live alongside the virus.

Air pollution is not a huge problem in Ireland and people cannot get cancer screening because of selfish people spreading Covid, so you could count these as Covid deaths aldo

https://www.newstalk.com/news/air-pollution-deaths-epa-1081490#:~:text=Nearly%20as%20many%20people%20will,pollution%20in%20Ireland%20every%20year.

Link dated 25 September 2020.

Fair play to you writing off so many lives. I wish I could be that scummy.
    A new report from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) warns that there are 1,300 premature deaths attributed to air pollution in Ireland every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Your plan can be anything unattainable and then just pluck a figure of 4021 from thin air to back it up. But don’t back it up with any data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

So which vaccine will be all getting?

If it's such basic research, do share this information with us.

I'd gladly buy stock in the company that has this vaccine on the way.

Oh, the cat caught your tongue?

There's a whole thread discussing candidate vaccines and the research in that area.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062347

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lillycakes2

I am waiting for Ct scan in the public system. With level 5 restrictions, is this going to be affected? will out patient appointments go ahead?
    They will hardly lock down the whole health system again ?

I'm not backed into a corner at all. I'm well aware of how porous the hard border was when the BA/DF patrolled it. Since the late 90's we have no border due to an international treaty ratified by a referendum here that you seem clueless about.
    As I said in a different response we have to learn to live alongside the virus.

So your plan is...ta dah...do fook all.

Easiest plan ever. Again, how's that working out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Thanks be to God for myself...

Will ye all tighten up you're britches for just one minute...

The Country will not be going into national lockdown, get your heads around that and we'll move on..

1) The biggest issue in Ireland at the moment is the economy, if you think it's anything else but that... Well, god bless you!

2) The medical team have NO OPTION but to report what would be the best method to eradicate the virus.. Sure, Lock us down, no more travelling around the place.. Makes sense to me.

3) From a medical point of view, that will sort everthing out.. The medics have done their job...

4) Politicians... Now that's a different beast.. They have to make the decision..

So.. Lets assume they take the recommendations of the Virus Boys and implement a level 5 scenario across the Island of Ireland... That's the economy ruined...

No doubt the business people will be up in arms, their business all but in ruins, the banks closing in....Blah, Blah, Blah...

Refuse to take advice of the medical Board... And mass deaths occur... The Government will be held totally responsible for the loss of every life in Ireland due to Covid.

It's a no win situation for the Government!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland–United_Kingdom_border

Non existent you say

Non controlled yes, non existent no.

It's a border, but the Irish government cannot stop anyone passing across it, especially Irish citizens. Lucky for us this Covid doesn't need a human host..... oh wait it does..... That's that plan ruined.

Miike wrote: »
    There's a whole thread discussing candidate vaccines and the research in that area.

So which company will be producing the vaccine?

It wasn't me making the claim.

Do tell me so I can invest and become a multi-millionaire.

It's a border, but the Irish government cannot stop anyone passing across it, especially Irish citizens. Lucky for us this Covid doesn't need a human host..... oh wait it does..... That's that plan ruined.

That’s why if it needs to be controlled, it should be. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Miike wrote: »

Somehow, I doubt they’ll visit that, read up on the numerous vaccines (and different approaches) being worked on and actually educate themselves. Easier to keep their head in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Somehow, I doubt they’ll visit that, read up on the numerous vaccines (and different approaches) being worked on and actually educate themselves. Easier to keep their head in the sand.

As demonstrated by their reply.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/air-pollution-deaths-epa-1081490#:~:text=Nearly%20as%20many%20people%20will,pollution%20in%20Ireland%20every%20year.

Link dated 25 September 2020.

Fair play to you writing off so many lives. I wish I could be that scummy.

I'm well aware we have a high number of deaths due to bad air pollution, we also have very high rates of CF. Where i'm failing to to see the connections is, how does air pollution cause exponential deaths?
    Does everyone who gets diagnosed with it, go out and buy a dirty diesel and rev the tits off it at a red light? It's thew only way I can see exponential growth

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So your plan is...ta dah...do fook all.

Easiest plan ever. Again, how's that working out?

Yet you've given no logical reasoning as to how anything you suggest could be implemented.

Some amount of nonsense coming out of you despite being asked multiple times to suggest / back up your point of view.

You also dimissed the good Friday agreement as a piece of political paper.... complete ignorance

It's literally impossible to stop a human being going from A to B.

All I've seen, as predicted, are a whole load of "that can't be done!" followed up by the brain melting idea that we should do nothing instead.

A difficult plan that requires a lot of effort and adjustment, versus watching the country go down the tubes. Easy choice for some.

Arguing for status quo while the status quo is a disaster.

We'll see how the head scratchers and naysayers are feeling come the February lockdown. Still talking about "can't" I predict.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware we have a high number of deaths due to bad air pollution, we also have very high rates of CF. Where i'm failing to to see the connections is, how does air pollution cause exponential deaths?
    Does everyone who gets diagnosed with it, go out and buy a dirty diesel and rev the tits off it at a red light? It's thew only way I can see exponential growth

CF is something too that you WILL be born with, you can’t contract it. You WILL die from it. No cure exists.

Covid you will contract because of your choices, behaviors and those choices and behaviors of others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement