Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Chris Grey says that the reason for that is that they don't know what Brexit means - apart from 'Brexit'. They don't know what they want, except that whatever is proposed is never enough. That's why they can't tell the EU what they want. It's a bit like 1984, where the state is constantly at war, always has been at war, and always will be at war, with Eurasia. Brexiters are always fighting for Brexit but they don't actually want to implement Brexit, because Brexit is a chimera, a phantom. Similarly Boris wanted to be PM, want to have been PM, but not do the actual PM'ing. Donald's the same. He can't govern. He can only campaign for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Exactly, and the recent Japan trade deal shows up the fairy tale that is BRexit. They didn't achieve much in the way of better results than with the EU deal, and were forced to agree to more state aid rules than had been the case with the EU.

So far from UK bestriding the world again like the empire of old, the world has changed and the very reason for the EU, that of being able to provide a combined might to stand up to the US and others, is the very reason they have found that Brexit is not what they all dreamed it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Exactly, and the recent Japan trade deal shows up the fairy tale that is BRexit. They didn't achieve much in the way of better results than with the EU deal, and were forced to agree to more state aid rules than had been the case with the EU.

So far from UK bestriding the world again like the empire of old, the world has changed and the very reason for the EU, that of being able to provide a combined might to stand up to the US and others, is the very reason they have found that Brexit is not what they all dreamed it would be.

Woah woah woah, there is no Japan trade deal.
    There is an agreement in principle, we have yet to see what the final document looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think somebody needs to look at a map
    The Port of Liverpool is “ideally placed” to help overcome potential major Brexit delays that could soon hit Dover, Peel Ports has said.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/ports-logistics/peel-ports-says-liverpool-ideally-18988067

Its not a bananas idea.
    From the article:
    'The Port of Liverpool has in recent weeks seen new ferry routes launched, with Spain and Portugal with CLdN in addition to more capacity being added to existing services.'
    These are the same services calling to Dublin. The population center of the UK is much closer to Liverpool than Dover, making distribution practical.

• Advertisement

Its not a bananas idea.
    From the article:
    'The Port of Liverpool has in recent weeks seen new ferry routes launched, with Spain and Portugal with CLdN in addition to more capacity being added to existing services.'
    These are the same services calling to Dublin. The population center of the UK is much closer to Liverpool than Dover, making distribution practical.

It is also 10-20 times the distance. If the route was such a great idea they would be using it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It is also 10-20 times the distance. If the route was such a great idea they would be using it already.

It'll be a great idea when they're spending longer in a queue in Dover than they would on a ferry to Liverpool.

Sorry, I meant to say it was probably less awful than Dover post brexit, just like every deal they make will end up being an awful version of what they had pre-brexit. But they get to keep all those people out...

astrofool wrote: »
    It'll be a great idea when they're spending longer in a queue in Dover than they would on a ferry to Liverpool.

Sorry, I meant to say it was probably less awful than Dover post brexit, just like every deal they make will end up being an awful version of what they had pre-brexit. But they get to keep all those people out...

Takes 3 hours longer driving in the wrong direction to get to Liverpool from London

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I just don’t know how Ireland is going to get anything at all through the British Land Bridge ! !

The British will obviously Prioritise all the British Stuff, so all the Irish stuff might as well wait on the Island of Ireland.

Forget about Irish part drop offs in Britain and Irish part pickups . There will be no point in any Irish Lorries what so ever going to Britain. The British will just have to Prioritise all of the British Lorries. Irish Lorries would just be a Nuisance in such Circumstances ! !

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Takes 3 hours longer driving in the wrong direction to get to Liverpool from London
    I don't follow?
    Depending on what the product is and where the customer is, Liverpool or Immingham on the east coast could be valid alternatives if Dover is overloaded.

The population center of the UK is near Derby.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »

Not as bad as an absolute cluster**** is not a glowing recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Absolute state of this tweet from Home Office.

https://twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/1314551192505081864?s=20

'Foreign National Offenders'
    'Foreign Criminals'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

J Mysterio wrote:
    Absolute state of this tweet from Home Office.

Hungarian regime language but what's worse Hungary would use it for asylum seekers or migrants, not for EU citizens. So HMG took it further. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's life Jim, but not as we know it

Parcel motel is going to make a killing on both sides of the border now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ltd440

J Mysterio wrote: »

"Set phasers to shun" is the best reply on that feed 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭3d4life

So anyway,

Seems BoJo has had to pull back on telling the people of Manchester what to do as the local polis have made it clear they will not be enforcers.

Will he still be PM at the end of the year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

J Mysterio wrote: »

Must be very disappointing for UK Trekkies that Shatner didn’t attempt to Klingon. Big worry is Boris will retaliate and instruct military to ‘fire at will’.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

joeguevara wrote: »
    Must be very disappointing for UK Trekkies that Shatner didn’t attempt to Klingon. Big worry is Boris will retaliate and instruct military to ‘fire at will’.

The days of those scumbags "fireing at will" are well gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

Wanderer78 wrote: »

The UK does more trade with Ireland than Brazil, Russia, India and China(BRIC) combined. A fact that would surprise quite a few across the water, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Skyfloater wrote: »
    The UK does more trade with Ireland than Brazil, Russia, India and China(BRIC) combined. A fact that would surprise quite a few across the water, I would say.

shocked me tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's basic common sense. Why would you pay Brazilians for the same beef (ignoring regulations and standards of course) that Ireland produces and pay a fortune to ship it over?

There was never a trade argument to Brexit. It was just a way for them to avoid appearing thick when asked about it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

But but....that's just because the evil EU has prevented the UK from doing its magnificent trade deals for the past 5 decades or so......

They'll get a few years out of that and sure by the time that is wearing thin, they can blame the jealous EU for blocking those same trade deals from the outside.

I wonder how do the "taking back control" and "not having others make our laws" crowd over in the UK feel about senior US democrats basically telling them that the internal markets bill is going to have to be changed. Go to about 6:00

Also drops in a few seconds later the term "chicken exports".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I`m not saying that gives the UK leverage,what I`m saying is the UK is probably America`s closest friend and ally which I imagine would count for something(plus Trump does`nt seem to like the EU)-I personally think Trump is a loose cannon and would prefer to remain close to Europe in all matters.
    I dont think it matters what that loser thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Fair play to the UK, looks like they are going to forget about the draconian EU copyright law...

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51240785

"Universities and Science Minister Chris Skidmore has said that the UK will not implement the EU Copyright Directive after the country leaves the EU."

For those who are unfamiliar with article 13:

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/eu-copyright-legislation

TL;DR from wikipedia:

"The copyright law of the European Union consists of a number of directives, which the member states are obliged to enact into their national laws, as interpreted by the decisions of the European Court of Justice. Directives of the EU are passed to harmonise the laws of European Union member states."

IMHO, this may hasten the next departure from the EU in my opinion. Ordinary people will see firsthand how far the tentacles of the EU go when this law is implemented. They will look at a more open Internet in the UK and want a piece. I remember years ago reading about North Korea and China censoring their citizens Internet activity and thinking how great it was to be free to have an open web.In a few years, when Ireland inevitably implements article 13, I myself will feel like one of my Asian brethren.
    Looks like the uk wont go with no deal as many of us hoped, boris going to come cap in hand to the EU, I'd love to be sitting at the table when he comes crying for a deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Never has someone been so aptly named.

Advertisement