Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

EU were always gonna sell us down the river if push came to shove. Yanks were always going to be our strongest ally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

EU were always gonna sell us down the river if push came to shove. Yanks were always going to be our strongest ally.

That's deluded. We are part of the EU. Try to keep up.

the micks. LOL. you're funny

Not a word I would ever use, unless in response to something stupid like the use of the word tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The British are playing a blinder here. The ultimatum of a physical border on the island of Ireland is something that no Irish Government can agree to, otherwise Micheal will be joining another famous Cork Micheal that was assassinated by his own.

So essentially the EU will have to shaft Ireland. The EU can't be seen to shaft Ireland either. They found the weak spot and will exploit it.

Irish government and EU are coming out with buzz words like "trust" and "confidence". It is all meaningless marketing speak. It means nothing. There are plenty of countries around the world with trade agreements that don't trust each other. USA and China have a trade agreement. Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union had a trade agreement FFS :pac:

The threat of a hard border in Ireland isn't the only blocker. They are miles away from an agreement even without that issue. If the UK think the EU might destroy the integrity of its own single market so that it can trade free with the UK, they're extremely nieve.

Also, should any hard border arise in Ireland, it will be sold as temporary until the UK are forced to come back to the table. Even diehard Nationalists are probably secretly hoping for it as it potentially brings a united Ireland significantly closer. If anything, its the unionist agenda that would get hurt in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The British are playing a blinder here. The ultimatum of a physical border on the island of Ireland is something that no Irish Government can agree to, otherwise Micheal will be joining another famous Cork Micheal that was assassinated by his own.

So essentially the EU will have to shaft Ireland. The EU can't be seen to shaft Ireland either. They found the weak spot and will exploit it.

Irish government and EU are coming out with buzz words like "trust" and "confidence". It is all meaningless marketing speak. It means nothing. There are plenty of countries around the world with trade agreements that don't trust each other. USA and China have a trade agreement. Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union had a trade agreement FFS :pac:

WE. ARE. THE. EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Am I missing something?

The Withdrawal Agreement removed the threat of a hard border in Ireland.

The WA is signed, sealed and non-negotiable. Any changes break international law and will bring the British govt to the ECJ.

So why is this a win? The internal market bill is a pile of boll*cks and everybody from Barnier, EU politicials and UK politicians are saying as much.

Only Boris and the Brexiters who've gotten nothing right in the last year are trumpeting this as a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Interesting the direction the Narrative/spin is taking. Back to the EU being the bogeyman for Ireland. Despite all that is going on from the UK side.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

loughside wrote: »

...and the EU loan was also made up of what?.... yes??.. bit slow but you got it... the British taxpayers contributions!!

So in reality you have to wind yer neck in and be doubly thankful to the British! ;)
    no it wasn't, we specifically asked for a loan with no tan contributions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Interesting the direction the Narrative/spin is taking. Back to the EU being the bogeyman for Ireland. Despite all that is going on from the UK side.

Nate

Only a couple of headbangers are trying to make out the EU to be the bogeyman. Their posts read like Daily Express headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

WE. ARE. THE. EU.

No YOU ARE NOT!

in reality you are a vassal state with no real government to make laws and apply taxes, in effect you are a glorified county council

ie you have no say, you do what you`re told by an unelected unaccountable mafia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No YOU ARE NOT!

in reality you are a vassal state with no real government to make laws and apply taxes, in effect you are a glorified county council

sure thing Nigel.

I Am Neegan.

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

No YOU ARE NOT!

We elect MEPs, we have different laws and we apply different taxes to other EU countries, we trade freely in goods and services with fellow EU countries. WE ARE THE EU!

I can only imagine the frustration living in the North of Ireland, whether a Unionist or a Republican, having a handful of representatives in Westminster who at best are useful pawns to be discarded and thrown under the bus at the drop of a hat, who have no say in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No YOU ARE NOT!

You sound like a very bitter person, slightly unhinged/obsessed with Ireland. Northern "Unionist" diatribe if ever I heard it, it's fairly easy to spot. No one from the actual UK "mainland" would care as much as you appear to.

road_high wrote: »
    You sound like a very bitter person, slightly unhinged/obsessed with Ireland. Northern "Unionist" diatribe if ever I heard it, it's fairly easy to spot. No one from the actual UK "mainland" would care as much as you appear to.

any chance you could comment on my post if indeed you can instead of descending into personal insults?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Aegir wrote: »
    Is that what the micks called it? I hadn’t heard that.

In Britain, Irish people are known derogatorily as 'Paddies'. In the USA, Irish people are known derogatorily as "Micks". It's important to get your insults right. But I'm sure that the Tories don't care. Rule Britannia etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

No YOU ARE NOT!

Yeah, grand whatever. At least we're not the DUP, a used condom discarded by Tories drunk on Little Englanderism.

any chance you could comment on my post if indeed you can instead of descending into personal insults?

your post is complete bollix. is that enough of a comment on your post?

your post is complete bollix. is that enough of a comment on your post?

I can tell by your frustration it`s difficult for you to disagree with it - if truth be told it`s impossible.

I can tell by your frustration it`s difficult for you to disagree with it - if truth be told it`s impossible.

nope it was quite simple to disagree with it. It is complete bollix. was I not clear on that? they are the words of a Nigel Farage wannabe

• Advertisement

No YOU ARE NOT!

Theres only one thing worse than an english tan, that's an Irish tan

In Britain, Irish people are known derogatorily as 'Paddies'. In the USA, Irish people are known derogatorily as "Micks". It's important to get your insults right. But I'm sure that the Tories don't care. Rule Britannia etc.

I’ll respond to a derogatory term with whatever derogatory term I like, thank you.

Theres only one thing worse than an english tan, that's an Irish tan

Nah, wrong again deccy mate, what`s worse than an Irish tan is an Irish paddy holding out a begging bowl,

now that IS humiliation,

don`t ya agree mate?? !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Lads, why are ye bothering with this sham?

Time to give CA a swerve for a few days while this works itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,058 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hold on. The UK wants something "something that no Irish Government can agree to", and the EU has to back Ireland, so in essence the UK has manouevred the EU into a position in which the EU cannot possibly agree to what the UK wants. How in God's name is thisthe UK "playing a blinder"?

Books will be written on how badly the Brexit process has been managed and progressed from the UK end - every error that could be made had has been made; every possible opportunity has been squandered; and every time a strategy has failed to acheive what they hoped the British have doubled down on that strategy. The latest misstep is of a piece with every misstep they have taken before. How anybody can see this as "playing a blinder" is beyond me.

If the British government's aim is to Brexit with no deal, then this strategy will get them there. But brexiting with no deal was always open to the UK; they could have done it at any time, and at much less cost to their country and much less damage to its reputation. So while this is an effective strategy to acheive a no-deal Brexit it's a very poor one. It's like getting engaged and them married in order to lay the ground for breaking up.

And the British government's aimis to Brexit with a deal on any terms at all then this strategy isa frankly disastrous one. No sane person can possibly imagine that the way for the UK to get the FTA it wants is start by making a treaty with the EU and then immediately and openly violating it. A country that violates its treaties so shamelessly and for such little reason is the last country that anyone will want to make a new treaty with - particularly someone whose existing treaty has just been violated. If the UK does want an FTA then they are going to have to eat some very humble pie very publicly before they have any hope of getting it. And they are going to have to offer other potential FTA partners compelling reasons for thinking that the UK will not do to them what it has just tried to do to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

No YOU ARE NOT!

Try telling that to Scotland and Wales - but with a straight face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

blinding wrote: »
    John was a great one for breaking with convention when it suited him.

He also has had numerous counts of bullying made against him .

The disgraceful re-mainers kept this horrible man in place despite all the bullying complaints against him many of them before Brexit, in case people are wondering. Re-mainers disgraced themselves again.

You have to remember that hard-line brexiteers and tory media such as "we love boris" Express and the Torygraph will create stories that suckers who never question the veracity will believe.

That's how Trump works and boris thinks the sun shines out of trumps backside

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nate

There is no such narrative.

Nah, wrong again deccy mate, what`s worse than an Irish tan is an Irish paddy holding out a begging bowl,

now that IS humiliation,

don`t ya agree mate?? !!
    No, the tans did way more begging down through history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

lawred2 wrote: »
    There is no such narrative.

Yeah. Not really by the media or any experts.
    Some of the dimmer Brexiters are falling back on it though (have a look at loughsides posts) but I haven't heard anybody who knows what they're talking about saying it.

Trouble is they're hard to avoid if you use forums like this or twitter. Every thread on twitter has a couple of the idiots coming in about it. I don't bother engaging them. If they're still this deluded after 4 years they're not going to change their mind by some randomer on the internet.

Advertisement