Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options
1197198199200201203»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,886 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Aegir wrote: »
    Francie, you are just being daft.

Navies carry out fisheries protection, it’s part of their job.

That’s why an Irish warship arrested a northern Irish fishing crew off Dundalk a few years back, not a copper in a dinghy.

Nobody was fishing Aegir.

Hmm we should really ramp up our military or get into nato ASAP as we are now located next to numpties who think it’s 19th century

I doubt Ireland will be going to war with the uk anytime soon, but yes the Irish military are planning on increasing fishery patrols.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40192794.html

Hmm we should really ramp up our military or get into nato ASAP as we are now located next to numpties who think it’s 19th century

'Wily waving' is what Peter Foster an editor at the Financial Times. called it. The UK even looking silly to their own. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Aegir wrote: »
    I doubt Ireland will be going to war with the uk anytime soon, but yes the Irish military are planning on increasing fishery patrols.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40192794.html
    Will they be built in the same shipyards that constructed the current fleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

'Wily waving' is what Peter Foster an editor at the Financial Times. called it. The UK even looking silly to their own. :D

Haven't heard a single person mention it all day, it seems to be a bigger deal to the barstool Republicans of boards than the citizens of the UK.

• Advertisement

Haven't heard a single person mention it all day, it seems to be a bigger deal to the barstool Republicans of boards than the citizens of the UK.

Now that is funny. :)

Now that is funny. :)

Hilarious that its bothered you more than the people I have been talking to all day.

Hilarious that its bothered you more than the people I have been talking to all day.

You are confusing entertainment with botheration.

You are confusing entertainment with botheration.

So entertaining that you have to post on every thread pertaining to the UK, Admit it Francie you're addicted to posting about them, they fill your day :pac:

So entertaining that you have to post on every thread pertaining to the UK, Admit it Francie you're addicted to posting about them, they fill your day :pac:

How many threads are there on the UK Timberrrr. (are you getting a bit paranoid?)
    There's one on British Politics/Scottish Independence/Harry & Meghan/Corbyn and many more I don't post on. Not only are you paranoid but prone to exaggeration when you don't like what is said. Not the first time you have thrown that bit of off-topic personal attack.
    No need to reply...I'm not going there with you. This is a good thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The worrying latest development in post brexit UK.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-citizens-detained-uk-work-visas-brexit/

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The worrying latest development in post brexit UK.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-citizens-detained-uk-work-visas-brexit/

What's "worrying" about it?

indioblack wrote: »
    Will they be built in the same shipyards that constructed the current fleet?

Rumour has it that they are buying two patrol ships from New Zealand.

A few years old, but hardly used apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

All proceeding entirely as expected from the UK there, so nothing whatsoever.

But to a Brit recalling the principle of reciprocity of treatment enshrined in the WA and the TCA, I can ûnderstand some worry indeed.

Heh: you broke it, you bought it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

A number of UK citizens living in Spain have already been incorrectly refused entry there recently and I hope any escalation doesn't result in more of the same.
    I have no problem with the UK or EU applying the agreed terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think the issue isn't whether people are correctly or incorrectly refused entry; it's how you treat people who are refused entry.

In the UK, they cart them off to immigration detention centres, which are pretty horrifying places. EU countries haven't been treating UK citizens denied entry in a corresponding fashion. So far.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    A number of UK citizens living in Spain have already been incorrectly refused entry there recently and I hope any escalation doesn't result in more of the same.
    I have no problem with the UK or EU applying the agreed terms.

So following the rules/regulations that they had already set in place is "worrying" to you? :confused:

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think the issue isn't whether people are correctly or incorrectly refused entry; it's how you treat people who are refused entry.

In the UK, they cart them off to immigration detention centres, which are pretty horrifying places. EU countries haven't been treating UK citizens denied entry in a corresponding fashion. So far.

It's explained why they are detained in the article
    The length of their detentions is partly explained by travel restrictions imposed because of the coronavirus pandemic, which mean there are fewer flights available to return EU nationals and the Home Office must also arrange the COVID-19 test required before their return.

Does Ireland not do the same with people who illegally enter the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/Kilsally/status/1390759034102427651
    Eight prominent unionists involved in negotiating the Good Friday Agreement have called for the Northern Ireland Protocol to be suspended.

A letter has been sent to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, taoiseach (Irish PM) Micheál Martin, US President Joe Biden and European Commission vice president Maros Sefcovic.

tenor.gif?itemid=9612213

It's explained why they are detained in the article
    Yes, I know. So what? The problem isn't that nobody understands why they are being detained, so explaining why they are being detained kind of misses the point.
    Does Ireland not do the same with people who illegally enter the country?
    God, have you been reading the Daily Mail again? You know that's no good for you. We've talked about this before.

These people haven't "entered the country illegally". They have presented themselves and the border and applied to be admitted, which they are perfectly entitled to do under UK law. They have broken no laws. They have been denied entry, which also does not mean that they have broken any laws. If they had broken any laws, they would at least be entitled to access to lawyers, to be brought before a court, to challenge the evidence against them, etc.

No, Ireland does not treat people who are denied entry in this fashion. The UK is, if not unique, then in pretty small group of countries as regards the cynical cruelty of its immigration enforcement system.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Yes, I know. So what? The problem isn't that nobody understands why they are being detained, so explaining why they are being detained kind of misses the point.

God, have you been reading the Daily Mail again? You know that's no good for you. We've talked about this before.

Really?

I have never read the DM and we have never "talked about this before" so save your condescending shìte for someone else.
    people haven't "entered the country illegally". They have presented themselves and the border and applied to be admitted, which they are perfectly entitled to do under UK law. They have broken no laws. They have been denied entry, which also does not mean that they have broken any laws. If they had broken any laws, they would at least be entitled to access to lawyers, to be brought before a court, to challenge the evidence against them, etc.

And they were denied entry, attempting to enter a country to work when not entitled is against the law.
    No, Ireland does not treat people who are denied entry in this fashion. The UK is, if not unique, then in pretty small group of countries as regards the cynical cruelty of its immigration enforcement system.

I suggest you look up Ireland treatment of people who have presented themselves at borders and ended up in direct provision centers.

Really?

I have never read the DM and we have never "talked about this before" so save your condescending shìte for someone else.
    So where did you get the bizarre idea that these people have broken the law? You must have got it somewhere. Or did you just make it up?
    And they were denied entry, attempting to enter a country to work when not entitled is against the law.
    No, it isn't. And if you say it is then link, please, to the UK law in question. And if you find yourself unable to link to the UK legislation which makes it unlawful to apply for entry when your circumstances lead to you being refused, have a think about why that might be.
    I suggest you look up Ireland treatment of people who have presented themselves at borders and ended up in direct provision centers.
    They haven't been denied entry; they have applied for asylum. Different thing entirely.

I'm not a fan of the direct provision system by any means, but if you think it's how we in Ireland deal with people who are denied entry you don't know a great deal about direct provision. And if you think being in direct provision in Ireland is even remotely like being in a UK immigration detention centre, you don't know much about UK immigration detention centres.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given that one if the signatories to this demand is barrister David Trimble, one would be forgiven for wondering why he is making demands such as this unless he does not believe that his current legal challenge will be successful.

Given that one if the signatories to this demand is barrister David Trimble, one would be forgiven for wondering why he is making demands such as this unless he does not believe that his current legal challenge will be successful.
    His "current legal challenge" was abandoned at the end of March. On the crowdjustice.com fundraising page for the challenge there is a garbled and not very plausible account of why they abandoned it, which boils down to "we showed our arguments to the government's lawyers and they didn't think we had any chance of beating them so, obviously, we couldn't bring the case".

Advertisement