Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I read that earlier and I am still laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

What's the significance of this announcement, who is he?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

salonfire wrote: »
    What's the significance of this announcement, who is he?
    Never heard of him before but I'd question his doctorate...

https://twitter.com/ConsciousSent/status/1326880280750206976?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Never heard of him before but I'd question his doctorate...

https://twitter.com/ConsciousSent/status/1326880280750206976?s=19

Those are credit hours.

I'm not saying that it is any use. Just that credit hours are a normal US way of measuring coursework. One hour does not equal one individual lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Those are credit hours.

I'm not saying that it is any use. Just that credit hours are a normal US way of measuring coursework. One hour does not equal one individual lecture.

He's a bona fide fraud.

• Advertisement

He's a bona fide fraud.

a doctorate degree from a non-accredited university. not worth the paper it is printed on.

a doctorate degree from a non-accredited university. not worth the paper it is printed on.

I'm sure it isn't worth any more than toilet paper.

I was simply pointing out that the requirement for "36 credit hours" or whatever does not mean 36 literal hours of classes. The twitter thing that was posted, and some of the responses, appeared to think it means that it would take only 36 actual hours to achieve that. Measuring requirements in credit hours is how things are done in the US. Me explaining that is not somehow sticking up for the qualification or the institution. I know nothing about either. Simply pointing out the misunderstanding.

I'm sure it isn't worth any more than toilet paper.

I was simply pointing out that the requirement for "36 credit hours" or whatever does not mean 36 literal hours of classes. The twitter thing that was posted, and some of the responses, appeared to think it means that it would take only 36 actual hours to achieve that. Measuring requirements in credit hours is how things are done in the US. Me explaining that is not somehow sticking up for the qualification or the institution. I know nothing about either. Simply pointing out the misunderstanding.

no, that's fair enough. I think for credit hours if you do 3 hours per week for a class for a semester you get 3 credit hours for that class or something like that.

no, that's fair enough. I think for credit hours if you do 3 hours per week for a class for a semester you get 3 credit hours for that class or something like that.

Yeah it is something like that. So that would mean taking 3 courses per semester where each course has 3 hours each week and to repeat that for 4 semesters. It's not something you would do in a weekend which I think that twitter response appeared to think

The institution itself is probably a joke - but that is not because of the "36 hours" statement. The "36 hours" may well be a normal requirement for actual proper doctorate programs in proper respected US institutions. Those would be the classes you take before your qualifying exams which allow you to progress to the research component of your PhD.

UKIP were never relevant in London before Brexit. I doubt this guys qualifications will make the slightest bit of difference in the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So Cummings is on his way out. What the f**k was all this for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

lawred2 wrote: »
    So Cummings is on his way out. What the f**k was all this for?

To keep the Tory party together even though it was never going to split. That is all.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

To keep the Tory party together even though it was never going to split. That is all.

I was more thinking in broader terms... The supposed chief architect of this complete self defeating mess is now persona non grata!

Simply because a few tories aren't so sure that the public mood might be so steadfastly pro Brexit... But it was grand to sacrifice everything (including their own morals) while the mood seemed Brexity..

Good god is there anything at all left to respect about Tory politicians!?

He wanted the UK to the leave the EU. He didn't actually care about what happened after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was more thinking in broader terms... The supposed chief architect of this complete self defeating mess is now persona non grata!

Simply because a few tories aren't so sure that the public mood might be so steadfastly pro Brexit... But it was grand to sacrifice everything (including their own morals) while the mood seemed Brexity..

To be fair to Cummings, I don't think he had anything to do with calling the referendum. He just ran the Vote Leave campaign. When the going gets tough, the tough get cushy jobs in the private sector and avoid the consequences of their actions as a result.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

To be fair to Cummings, I don't think he had anything to do with calling the referendum. He just ran the Vote Leave campaign. When the going gets tough, the tough get cushy jobs in the private sector and avoid the consequences of their actions as a result.
    I'd say when boris told cummings that he was going to cave in to the EU he decided to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Worryingly, the current crop are making Thatcher and her gang seem respectable by comparison.

Gone with immediate effect according to the below

https://www.rte.ie/news/uk/2020/1113/1177877-dominic-cummings/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So Dom is gone. I wonder are the British about to give a major concession to the EU this week. You can drive to Durham and get away with it, but if you irk enough of the party faithful your time is up sooner or later

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Apparently it’s not Dominic Cummings it’s Dominic Goings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's lovely to see him getting roasted in that Twitter thread

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1330948098303127555?s=19

It's lovely to see him getting roasted in that Twitter thread

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1330948098303127555?s=19

He should have just threatened to walk away. Especially given the trade imbalance between himself and vodafone. Vodafone sells him 50 quids worth of telecommunication service every month and he sells them nothing in return.

vodafone would have had to capitulate to him.

"Did you try telling them you were willing to walk away without a phone"

Class.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The one thing the UK does have with the US over others is they are their closest ally.Trump for some reason seems to think Europe relies too much on the US defending them and won`t pay their way in regards to defence which is`nt the case with the UK.
    Its funny when you read back over the posts by the Brexit cheerleaders, this one is the dumbest

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The significance of this is we are constantly hearing about the super efficient EU having every base covered and how the UK will be brought to its knees by border controls etc,The supposed exclusion of the UK from EU financial affairs hasn't happened either because the EU is'nt organised enough so UK dominance continues.
    Looks like the uk will agree to a level playing field if the EU gives them the rights to catch 33% of their own fish, its brilliant by the EU

Looks like the uk will agree to a level playing field if the EU gives them the rights to catch 33% of their own fish, its brilliant by the EU

is it? the EU wanted no changes to the fishing rules.

Aegir wrote: »
    is it? the EU wanted no changes to the fishing rules.
    That was just one of the EU's negotiating positions, make a big deal out of fishing then let the uk have some of their own fishing rights back and it will look like the EU caved in, but they always belonged to the uk anyway, even you guys have fallen for it.

• Advertisement

That was just one of the EU's negotiating positions, make a big deal out of fishing then let the uk have some of their own fishing rights back and it will look like the EU caved in, but they always belonged to the uk anyway, even out guys have fallen for it.

Anyone know what the status is for British fishermen in other EU waters?

I am sure that there were some that fished in EU waters. Are they all losing out 100%? UK loses 100% of it's access to EU waters and in return gives allows the EU to retain 66% of the access to the UK waters?

All that is going to happen is that Dutch or Spanish companies will buy and build up fleets operating out of the UK anyway.

Advertisement