Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wcooba

I think I've read on of the forums about someone depleting battery and eboost logo greyed out. But absolutely - 530e (or G30 in general) is not a race track weapon. M2/M3s are for that 😀
    From my personal experience I can attest I've done 1000-1500km motorway trips, with often acceleration and eboost was always available. Recuperation is pretty effective in this car, sometimes ev range was going up from zero to ~5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Currently looking to buy a used car and the 530e is one of the options. However, I would have a trip from Dublin to Cork potentially one day per week (maybe two on a rare occasion). The majority of other trips during the week would be within the range of the battery. My price range at the moment stretches from H2 2017 to H1 2018 so this would be the older, smaller battery.

Is it crazy to consider a 530e for this - over a 520D for example? Is there any fear that the batteries would start to deplete at this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Hi there. Read this last night and inspired me to give it a crack and set up a new UK account. Imagine my surprise when Spotify worked using the built in sim! Set my phone to flight more to verify. Gave Deezer a crack too but that would not work unfortunately. Set up a couple of trial accounts to experiment. Question for you - what works/does not work for you and have you noticed any unforeseen issues with anything else connected drive related?

I should add I'm on a new G20 with iDrive 7.....

Spotify worked for me. I did not try deezer/napster. I tried setting up Alexa account with UK address but it did not work in car.
    Have not noiced any issues with uk connected drive account.
    Alter_Ego wrote: »
    So if you were to take one of these out on a spirited drive or to a track day, how long would the battery last? 10-15km? I assume when the battery is run down, the car is back to sub-520I performance level, with 184 bhp and 240kg (!) of extra weight. Just curious how much fun you can actually have in one of these.
    If you take out car with battery fully charged on sports mode, car will mostly rely on petrol engine and use battery for boost. In this scenario, you will always have 250 horses. Just in case battery level goes below 10%, then it recharges using petrol engine. So you always have 530 level performance and not 520 when battery is fully depleted.

donnaille wrote: »
    Is it crazy to consider a 530e for this - over a 520D for example? Is there any fear that the batteries would start to deplete at this age.
    I believe you would be fine with 530e but you're also in diesel territory due to Dub-cork weekly trip.
    530e offers more performance than 520D and you would appreciate a near silent drive when in electric mode. Both are great options though. Take a test drive and decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

530e would be a no brainer for me as I like the g30 and I like the idea of a phev too...I work 7kms away and apart from going to the bank the odd day it sits there from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m then whatever leisure activities I do. Once a month for work I go to Limerick, once a month Cork and once a month Antrim.I could claim expenes for this instead of fuel bill covered though.
    Only problem is I have a diesel card for work, I shouldnt really but i do (diesel only due to VAT claim back on diesel not on petrol which is another discussion in itself) so I currently have zero fuel bills. I have a 2014 A6 and have had plenty of 5 series over the years so logical step is into a 2018 or so 5 series or a6 next year.

If I can come up with a scheme or a scam or a plan to keep my fuel bills at zero then I would have a 530e. I like the silence, the economy, the power, everything.

A 2001 E39 530i is my all time favourite car I have owned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

SummerK wrote: »
    I believe you would be fine with 530e but you're also in diesel territory due to Dub-cork weekly trip.
    530e offers more performance than 520D and you would appreciate a near silent drive when in electric mode. Both are great options though. Take a test drive and decide.

Great, thanks the advice. I'll be moving back from the UK early next year so looking to buy something soon to avoid VRT (I did check with revenue and there's no expectation of changes even with no deal, but fingers crossed).

My only concern would be that I'll need to rent when I first move back as we look to purchase a home and unsure how easy it will be to accommodate charging at a rental.

Great, thanks the advice. I'll be moving back from the UK early next year so looking to buy something soon to avoid VRT (I did check with revenue and there's no expectation of changes even with no deal, but fingers crossed).

My only concern would be that I'll need to rent when I first move back as we look to purchase a home and unsure how easy it will be to accommodate charging at a rental.

Frankly with VRT exemption I would bring 540i or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

On a side note, will the changes to importing definitely happen on Jan 1st 2021 and now include VAT on imports, does anyone know?

Contemplating buying one still but in no rush, now starting to think to hold off to later in the year or early next year to save some cash, want a late 2019 (newer model) which are currently all around £30k/€33k

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Spotify worked for me. I did not try deezer/napster. I tried setting up Alexa account with UK address but it did not work in car.
    Have not noiced any issues with uk connected drive account.

So yeah. Spotify is the only service that works and works really well - it's super fast and sounds decent. I'm a Tidal user and I'd go as far to say native Spotify on iDrive it works better than either Tidal or Spotify via Carplay as I'm finding it a little flaky.

Anyways, Deezer deffo does not work. Further I signed up to a 1-month trial of BMW Music - which uses Napster but presents itself in iDrive as 'BMW Music'. That also does not work.

I also noticed that Connected Drive UK adds the new geofencing city app into the Apps section on iD7. Has zones for major UK and French cities and a bunch of German cities and towns.... Interesting.

Forces news to Great Britan tho. No loss in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

530e would be a no brainer for me as I like the g30 and I like the idea of a phev too...I work 7kms away and apart from going to the bank the odd day it sits there from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m then whatever leisure activities I do. Once a month for work I go to Limerick, once a month Cork and once a month Antrim.I could claim expenes for this instead of fuel bill covered though.
    Only problem is I have a diesel card for work, I shouldnt really but i do (diesel only due to VAT claim back on diesel not on petrol which is another discussion in itself) so I currently have zero fuel bills. I have a 2014 A6 and have had plenty of 5 series over the years so logical step is into a 2018 or so 5 series or a6 next year.

If I can come up with a scheme or a scam or a plan to keep my fuel bills at zero then I would have a 530e. I like the silence, the economy, the power, everything.

A 2001 E39 530i is my all time favourite car I have owned

A 530d would be better if your fuel Is covered but a 7km run morning and evening is not work for a diesel.
    Could you possibly do a deal with company for a car allowance instead of the fuel card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

wcooba wrote: »
    You are welcome. I think you can keep extending warranty until 160kkm. The cost is around 600 per year & imo well worth the peace of mind.

Thats a decent price - is that for the comprehensive warranty with no excess? From memory the price does increase once you go over 100k km so worth moving to a monthly plan before that (at least that was the case 5 years ago!)

Currently driving an older 6 cylinder 530i so the 530e appeals as it seems good value and avoids driving a diesel! Would not contemplate owning one without a warranty though.

commited wrote: »
    Thats a decent price - is that for the comprehensive warranty with no excess? From memory the price does increase once you go over 100k km so worth moving to a monthly plan before that (at least that was the case 5 years ago!)

Currently driving an older 6 cylinder 530i so the 530e appeals as it seems good value and avoids driving a diesel! Would not contemplate owning one without a warranty though.

It's comprehensive with 335 EUR excess. You are still covered for big ticket items though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

wcooba wrote: »
    It's comprehensive with 335 EUR excess. You are still covered for big ticket items though...

Thanks for the reply. By any chance do you recall how much the warranty was with the lower excess levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Keggers74

Price attached are for a 2016 330e last year with 50k km.

I ended up paying less though as prices for renewal of an existing warranty are lower (I paid €416 for comprehensive cover with €135 excess and without European emergency cover - Irish breakdown cover is included with all policies).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MickSpur

Hi All,

New 530e owner here. I picked up my Sophisto Grey, 2018 530e M-sport last week, I purchased from BMW Coventry and they delivered it to Holyhead for me. I got a ferry to Holyhead, picked up the car in the car park, boarded the same ferry home. I am very happy with my new wheels.
    I know this has been done to death but I was hoping someone might have some experience with a similar spec car?
    There are 4 variations (all look the same) of 530e m-sport 46g/km on the VRT site, giving 4 different VRT amounts:

1. €1,273
    2. €1,961
    3. €2,173
    4. €2,670

I would love to have some sort of idea of how much its gonna cost me when I turn up to pay the VRT as there's quite a difference between 1 and 4. Also how much should I expect to pay for extras? Which include:

M-sport + pack (20" BMW individual wheels, HK sound system)
    Comfort Pack (Comfort opening, electric memory seats, folding mirrors)
    Visibility Pack (Adaptive LED headlights, HUD)

Anyone had any experience with a similar spec car?

MickSpur wrote: »
    Hi All,

New 530e owner here. I picked up my Sophisto Grey, 2018 530e M-sport last week, I purchased from BMW Coventry and they delivered it to Holyhead for me. I got a ferry to Holyhead, picked up the car in the car park, boarded the same ferry home. I am very happy with my new wheels.
    I know this has been done to death but I was hoping someone might have some experience with a similar spec car?
    There are 4 variations (all look the same) of 530e m-sport 46g/km on the VRT site, giving 4 different VRT amounts:

1. €1,273
    2. €1,961
    3. €2,173
    4. €2,670

I would love to have some sort of idea of how much its gonna cost me when I turn up to pay the VRT as there's quite a difference between 1 and 4. Also how much should I expect to pay for extras? Which include:

M-sport + pack (20" BMW individual wheels, HK sound system)
    Comfort Pack (Comfort opening, electric memory seats, folding mirrors)
    Visibility Pack (Adaptive LED headlights, HUD)

Anyone had any experience with a similar spec car?

Ok My bad, upon proper review I see that the 46g/km is no. 2 €1,961. So that's great but can anyone answer my second question re: how much should I pay for the extras? From what I can make out is that it should be 14% of the additional cost of extras with 25% reduction every year until year 4. Am I right? Any idea how much those extras will have cost?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As an aside, book your VRT appointment for the month of October to avoid paying September road tax

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

New 530e owner here. I picked up my Sophisto Grey, 2018 530e M-sport last week
    slave1 wrote: »
    As an aside, book your VRT appointment for the month of October to avoid paying September road tax

As he imported it last week, August, waiting until October would mean exceeding the 30 days though :eek:.

From Revenue.ie:
    The requirement to register
    1. make an appointment with the NCTS within seven days of bringing the vehicle into the State.
    and.
    1. register it within 30 days of bringing it into the State.

A month's motor tax is €16 odd..........€30k+ car, not worth taking the chance IMO.

I reckon NCTS will "send it off to revenue" for a VRT figure, hopefully they'll be reasonable & not deviate too far from the VRT Calculator figures, taking the extras into account.

Well wear & remember, keep her between the ditches :).

Kramer wrote: »
    A month's motor tax is €16 odd..........€30k+ car, not worth taking the chance IMO.

I reckon NCTS will "send it off to revenue" for a VRT figure, hopefully they'll be reasonable & not deviate too far from the VRT Calculator figures, taking the extras into account.

Well wear & remember, keep her between the ditches :).

Yeah I’m hoping that some of the less necessary extras aren’t picked up or at least aren’t too pricey. I don’t mind paying more considering the extras, just don’t want to get landed with a fright.

Anyone else notice that when you have the sports display on and have the gearbox in sport the HP gauge reads 280hp? Any ideas why BMW say it’s 250bhp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Yeah I’m hoping that some of the less necessary extras aren’t picked up or at least aren’t too pricey.......don’t want to get landed with a fright.

You'll be alright ;).
    Anyone else notice that when you have the sports display on and have the gearbox in sport the HP gauge reads 280hp? Any ideas why BMW say it’s 250bhp?

cNP19tA.jpg

You think I've ever seen the sport displays or used sports mode? :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Great thread on the 530e.

Starting to look in the UK and northern Ireland. Is anyone using anything other than the bmw site and autotrader that they would recommend ?

If any of the boardies that posted last year are recycling a 2018 I might be interested if it's clean so feel free to reach out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Great thread on the 530e.

Starting to look in the UK and northern Ireland. Is anyone using anything other than the bmw site and autotrader that they would recommend ?

If any of the boardies that posted last year are recycling a 2018 I might be interested if it's clean so feel free to reach out.

I bought mine in Bavarian Belfast, straight forward experience, very easy to buy from.

I don’t do huge mileage. Most of my trips in under 30km return. It feels like I almost never put petrol in it.

I took it down to Wexford a few times over the summer, you do notice it’s a bit thirsty on longer motorway trips, so perhaps not suitable for those with a heavy foot doing a lot of long journeys. I’ll happily buy another.

Mines a 191, not for sale but open to offers ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Funnily enough, am toying with selling my 191 530e as well. Import one last car before Brexit kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Funnily enough, am toying with selling my 191 530e as well. Import one last car before Brexit kicks in.

Buying a 192? Or going for a different car altogether?

Cona wrote: »
    Buying a 192? Or going for a different car altogether?

Would look to squeeze in a 201. 202 new model if I could but timing won't allow that.

Love the car to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Would look to squeeze in a 201. 202 new model if I could but timing won't allow that.

Love the car to be honest.

I dont see much price drop on 18 or 19 models in uk since the end of last year.

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont see much price drop on 18 or 19 models in uk since the end of last year.

Yeah noticed that too. only starting to slip down now. Reckon I could squeeze in a 201 at my desired budget by the time Nov/Dec comes around.

Recently had been to Donegal Co. and got a FE of 46MPG on 1100 KM+ round trip. Car was charged twice during entire trip. Drive was on M, N and R roads in Comfort & Sport mode.

Car managed to drive on electric power alone for 300KM with 2 full charge (Approx 23 kwh) + Regen.

I believe this is much better than 520i, and I am surprised at the Performance to efficiency. Electric boost was always available; so it was always 530 and not 520 with additional weight when battery power was almost empty.

Couple of negatives- Kickdown in Eco mode is super slow, took 3-4 seconds to downshift.
    Had a scary experience when car automatically braked in Sligo with pedestrian warning on digital display even though there was no one crossing street.

BMW 545e has been added on to Bmw.co.uk Costs 6k sterling more than 530e & xDrive is standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

BMW 545e has been added on to Bmw.co.uk Costs 6k sterling more than 530e & xDrive is standard.

This will be a pleasure to drive, however I think with that engine they could have gone for a more capacity in the battery too, allowing for slightly better pure electric range. That 3.0L petrol at least won't be breaking any sweat recharging the battery, unlike the 2L.

Advertisement