Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

SummerK wrote: »
    BMW 545e has been added on to Bmw.co.uk Costs 6k sterling more than 530e & xDrive is standard.

Seems well priced but i guess 6k sterling will equate to about 15k euro here by the time governemnt and dealers get their hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Alter_Ego wrote: »
    This will be a pleasure to drive, however I think with that engine they could have gone for a more capacity in the battery too, allowing for slightly better pure electric range.
    I don’t think there is any more space left for accommodating a bigger battery unless they think of reducing boot space further.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

**** Brexit!!! Would have been all over the 545e from the UK at 6-12 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

That 3.0L petrol at least won't be breaking any sweat recharging the battery, unlike the 2L.

Does your 530e have a problem charging the battery? Remember you've got a 3 year warranty - you should get it looked at by BMW :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

Kramer wrote: »
    Does your 530e have a problem charging the battery? Remember you've got a 3 year warranty - you should get it looked at by BMW :pac:.

I was eluding to the smaller percentage of increase in fuel consumption/wear on the car once you're running in petrol only mode (which I appreciate should be the exception/occasional journey). The 3L will deal with the extra weight better.

Plug in hybrids are called "wolfs in seeps clothing" by some. Great if you used them as intended, but worse then their pure ICU counterparts if you don't (e.g. infrequent charging and frequent long journeys).

• Advertisement

I was eluding to the smaller percentage of increase in fuel consumption/wear on the car once you're running in petrol only mode (which I appreciate should be the exception/occasional journey). The 3L will deal with the extra weight better.

Plug in hybrids are called "wolfs in seeps clothing" by some. Great if you used them as intended, but worse then their pure ICU counterparts if you don't (e.g. infrequent charging and frequent long journeys).

There is another angle to consider too. Even if you didnt use in a manner that suits it best, its still a very strong option. Its better than a 520i even if you never plugged it in. It has cheaper tax and cheaper vrt than any other version and it is significantly cheaper than much of the range specially as a used option.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DOD555

Great thread, plenty of food for thought. Looking for a 2018 530e but not seeing much value for importing to be honest. Decent msport spec on auto trader is £25.5/26k, say €28k. €2-3k for vrt so €30/31k all in.

Garage in Dublin here looking 15k along with my 2015 520D. Reckon I’d be doing very well to get 17k for my 520D (high miles, few scratches) so assuming I get 16k, it leaves the 530E costing me 31k. Just checking I’m not missing anything. Is the real value only in the almost new category?

Also, just wondering about the battery warranty, seen on BMW UK website it’s 6yrs or 60k miles. Same in Ireland?

DOD555 wrote: »
    Great thread, plenty of food for thought. Looking for a 2018 530e but not seeing much value for importing to be honest. Decent msport spec on auto trader is £25.5/26k, say €28k. €2-3k for vrt so €30/31k all in.

Garage in Dublin here looking 15k along with my 2015 520D. Reckon I’d be doing very well to get 17k for my 520D (high miles, few scratches) so assuming I get 16k, it leaves the 530E costing me 31k. Just checking I’m not missing anything. Is the real value only in the almost new category?

Also, just wondering about the battery warranty, seen on BMW UK website it’s 6yrs or 60k miles. Same in Ireland?

Its a strange one the pricing on these. The irish prices are appearing to get alot closer to uk figures over the last year. Last year, a nice 18 m sport plus was maybe 27.5k in uk but would be touching 40k here.
    Prices have not dropped too fast in uk when you will still pay 26 or 26.5k for an 18 but you might find one here for 33 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Great thread on the 530e.

Starting to look in the UK and northern Ireland. Is anyone using anything other than the bmw site and autotrader that they would recommend ?

If any of the boardies that posted last year are recycling a 2018 I might be interested if it's clean so feel free to reach out.

Your PM folder is full!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,785 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

SummerK wrote: »
    BMW 545e has been added on to Bmw.co.uk Costs 6k sterling more than 530e & xDrive is standard.
    Wonder if they will finally add it here?
    Been watching to see what it costs. I own a Tesla but have been a bimmer fanboy for years since my first e60 535d and before. 530e is too short EV range for me but the 545e (if it's the same battery as the x5 45e) will be more than enough

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Been watching to see what it costs. I own a Tesla but have been a bimmer fanboy for years since my first e60 535d and before. 530e is too short EV range for me but the 545e (if it's the same battery as the x5 45e) will be more than enough

Am thinking it is the same battery as the 530e - not sure why I believe that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

ELM327 wrote: »

Sorry but no, "shares the same drive train" does not include the battery.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/5-series/352933/new-2020-bmw-545e-phev-specs-details-and-prototype-drive

The BMW 545e xDrive shares the same plug-in hybrid powertrain as the recently launched X5 xDrive45e SUV. It comprises a turbocharged 3.0-litre straight-six petrol engine, an 11.2kWh battery pack and an electric motor for a maximum output of 387bhp and 600Nm of torque.

I don't know why they would only put a 3.7 kW charger in the x5, such a nice big battery 7 hours to charge :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Finally got my wall box today (Garo GLB) after trying multiple times to get a BMW iWallbox. Loving the 530e!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

I love the colour black with black grills very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

bmwfan wrote: »
    I love the colour black with black grills very nice

The cars colour is called Sophisto Grey. It’s nice alright. I had the silver grill but changed it for black.

The cars colour is called Sophisto Grey. It’s nice alright. I had the silver grill but changed it for black.

Looks great.
    You reg is still readable btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

the black grill really sets it off

Ive the black grills on mine and changed my start button to red today and thinking of going diamond grill next

Have Carbon Black and a black grill myself.

Mixed feelings on the Carbon Black colour. It's gorgeous in certain light but it's really a very dark navy.

Have Carbon Black and a black grill myself.

Mixed feelings on the Carbon Black colour. It's gorgeous in certain light but it's really a very dark navy.

Its a great colour. Very rich in sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Is carbon black the same as sophisto grey (Xirallic)?

I know the black is known as Sapphire Black...but the grey colour confuses me with all the names

• Advertisement

Cona wrote: »
    Is carbon black the same as sophisto grey (Xirallic)?

I know the black is known as Sapphire Black...but the grey colour confuses me with all the names

After further research, in case anyone was wondering same as me
    - Sophisto grey (aka xirralic grey) is a very dark grey
    - Sapphire black is regular black colour as you would normally expect
    - Carbon black is a very very very dark navy that looks black in some lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

Is it worth getting the extended warranty on these? My warranty is up this week.

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Is it worth getting the extended warranty on these? My warranty is up this week.

Id say definitely keep it in warranty, at least for another year or two given that its still a relatively new car so dont know what to expect after 3-5 years. Did you have any issues with it so far?

Anyone care to decipher the new budget rules and what it means for a newly imported 530e?
    And also what is the current tax rate and the new one going to be?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

crank_1975 wrote: »

How much are they charging you for the extended warranty?
    Also, is it the proper bumper to bumper warranty or just the new age insurance policy they offer?

Anyone care to decipher the new budget rules and what it means for a newly imported 530e?

I only had a brief look but i fear that the formula they will use for a pre sept 18 cars to convert to wltp will put those cars above 50g and into a higher vrt band. Might be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

do you know the c02 and is that a petrol hybrid?

Yes it’s a petrol hybrid. I believe the 192 version (onwards) is 49g Co2...

Yes it’s a petrol hybrid. I believe the 192 version (onwards) is 49g Co2...

A car with 49g co2 as declared under the new emissions syatem will be excellent for importing.
    A pre sept 18 car brought in here next year might be pushed over 50g with the proposed emissions conversion.

• Advertisement

Does any of this matter at this present time? Or does these new rules only kick in from Jan 1st? (Sorry for the simpleton questions)

Advertisement