Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Question for 530e owners - how many KWh does it take to charge the battery? (assuming that you start from empty)

The most my 9.2kWh version has taken is just over 8.5kWh - it will never discharge below 5%. I would expect the newest version, with 25% more capacity will take, at most, 11kWhs odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Question for 530e owners - how many KWh does it take to charge the battery? (assuming that you start from empty)

I have seen 11.6kwh couple of times on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

On a similar note, trying to find the hybrid diesel electric engine on ROS for VRT calculation but unable to do so.

Car for example from UK:
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008052112736?radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=BMW&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Diesel%2FElectric&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&price-from=500&sort=price-asc&body-type=Estate&postcode=bt364pe&price-to=35000&model=5%20SERIES&page=1

Think it will be reasonable as have checked the diesel equivalent along with the 530e but wanted to check. Would be nice to see how it works out with the hybrid VRT grant.

Edit: I see an option when I select Diesel that is MHEV, presume that is it? Mild hybrid would match up with the car spec on bmw site anyway. Won't get any grant for mild hybrid it seems.

ustari wrote: »
    On a similar note, trying to find the hybrid diesel electric engine

That's a 2 litre turbo diesel. To describe it as a hybrid, or electric, is a fallacy.
    Get a PHEV or go full BEV, unless you're doing 50k+ motorway kilometres.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Kramer wrote: »
    That's a 2 litre turbo diesel. To describe it as a hybrid, or electric, is a fallacy.
    Get a PHEV or go full BEV, unless you're doing 50k+ motorway kilometres.

Not available in an estate 5 series, I see they have on site that they are bringing out a PHEV autumn this year but that will be outside my budget.

• Advertisement

Not available in an estate 5 series.

That's certainly a problem if you need an estate then :(.
    Just be aware though, these 48v mild hybrids are practically just fancy/rebranded "start/stop" systems.

I'd expect NOx charges to apply for UK imported diesels too - I'd be sure on the costs to import before pulling the trigger.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/ireland/article/detail/T0270077EN/the-bmw-530e-iperformance?language=en

YolB06L.jpg

For all the naysayers who said this was just marketing w@nk - yesterday, in my 530e...........
    1047km at an average of 41.8km/h.
    Electrical consumption - 17.7kWh/100km.

cNP19tA.jpg
    eEXYbnt.jpg

808/1047 electric/petrol - charged once every day for 20 days (4 weeks, Mon- Friday), short commute, few motorway runs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/ireland/article/detail/T0270077EN/the-bmw-530e-iperformance?language=en

YolB06L.jpg

For all the naysayers who said this was just marketing w@nk - yesterday, in my 530e...........
    1047km at an average of 41.8km/h.
    Electrical consumption - 17.7kWh/100km.

cNP19tA.jpg
    eEXYbnt.jpg

808/1047 electric/petrol - charged once every day for 20 days (4 weeks, Mon- Friday), short commute, few motorway runs too.

Ya if your useage suits the car, its unreal.
    Whats the overall cost of those 1000 km?

My petrol car would take about 140 euro to do that mileage on shorter runs like you are doing.

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya if your useage suits the car, its unreal.

Yep, PHEVs can be great in certain circumstances.
    mickdw wrote: »
    Whats the overall cost of those 1000 km?

My petrol car would take about 140 euro to do that mileage on shorter runs like you are doing.

Just under €35 between petrol & electricity, or 3.3c/km (20l petrol).
    Taking into account the 50% toll discount, 20 return trips in the same period (through a toll, both ways), would net another €20 saving, so under €15 per 1000km, or 1.5c/km.

Best case scenario of course :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Casati

That economy over 20 days doing circa 50km a day makes PHEV’s v convincing versus EV’s or any petrol or diesel. Can’t wait to see more PHEV options especially in estate format.

I know a S90 T8 owner getting over 2 l/ 100km over the last year. Not bad for a car that does sub 5 sec’s to 100kmph

It seems the only people getting bad economy in PHEV’s are car reviewers🀔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

Has anyone played with the "Battery Control" setting? Just wondering if there's a particular driving type that provides a (nearly) free charge?

I know it can't be quite free, but for example, is it better to use Battery Charge while motoring along at 120kph on the motorway, or when plodding along in traffic?

Or is it just a bit of a gimmick to set the petrol to charge the battery?

For example, say Dublin to Cork, use the electric at the start of the journey, then put on Battery Control on the motorway and have a full battery on reaching cork?

And in a side note, my Spotify seems to have disappeared...........no longer an option in Media on the idrive screen (can still play it but via bluetooth, album icons etc show but no Spotify menus)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

On a similar note, trying to find the hybrid diesel electric engine on ROS for VRT calculation but unable to do so.

Car for example from UK:
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008052112736?radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=BMW&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Diesel%2FElectric&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&price-from=500&sort=price-asc&body-type=Estate&postcode=bt364pe&price-to=35000&model=5%20SERIES&page=1

Think it will be reasonable as have checked the diesel equivalent along with the 530e but wanted to check. Would be nice to see how it works out with the hybrid VRT grant.

Edit: I see an option when I select Diesel that is MHEV, presume that is it? Mild hybrid would match up with the car spec on bmw site anyway. Won't get any grant for mild hybrid it seems.

Really nice car, but the VRT will be punitive compared to a 530e

lobbylad wrote: »
    Has anyone played with the "Battery Control" setting? Just wondering if there's a particular driving type that provides a (nearly) free charge?

I know it can't be quite free, but for example, is it better to use Battery Charge while motoring along at 120kph on the motorway, or when plodding along in traffic?

For example, say Dublin to Cork, use the electric at the start of the journey, then put on Battery Control on the motorway and have a full battery on reaching cork?

And in a side note, my Spotify seems to have disappeared...........no longer an option in Media on the idrive screen (can still play it but via bluetooth, album icons etc show but no Spotify menus)

When you switch to battery control mode, you are telling car to charge battery to set %. I have seen a slight increase in fuel consumption but its not bad as you get to drive electric at the end of journey. Its not a gimmick in my opinion and is best suited for long drives (M and N roads). Don't use it in city as you could see much lower fuel economy.

Spotify, Napster and Deezer are not available in Ireland. So as soon as you login using your Irish connected drive account, they are removed.

lobbylad wrote: »

Id imagine seeing as the car will do a pretty good job of recovering free energy from braking and coasting in any mode, battery control mode might not be able to better than so much so most of the charge is being paid for in petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

SummerK wrote: »
    When you switch to battery control mode, you are telling car to charge battery to set %. I have seen a slight increase in fuel consumption but its not bad as you get to drive electric at the end of journey. Its not a gimmick in my opinion and is best suited for long drives (M and N roads). Don't use it in city as you could see much lower fuel economy.

Spotify, Napster and Deezer are not available in Ireland. So as soon as you login using your Irish connected drive account, they are removed.

I use Spotify every day, Audible also works fine. Works both from my work iPhone and my personal Samsung S10+.

I use Spotify every day, Audible also works fine. Works both from my work iPhone and my personal Samsung S10+.

I was referring to cars pre-installed Deezer and Napster which use inbuilt sim card data services and don’t rely on your mobile phone.
    Of course you can use these apps from your mobile phone via Apple car play or android auto but they will be using mobile phone battery and data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

cNP19tA.jpg
    eEXYbnt.jpg

Kramer, how did you get that data displayed in your car? Is it on the main dashboard? I can't get those figures for mine at all:(.

Kramer, how did you get that data displayed in your car? Is it on the main dashboard? I can't get those figures for mine at all:(.

The centre screen should have 6 "panels" available, which you can view 3 at a time, or 6 at a time (but smaller).
    Scroll wheel left/right to move between them.

The panels are weather, comms (phone info), Nav, car stats.......
    You can rearrange these too.

You can also see the same stats in a different format, under vehicle status, in the sub menus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Maybe I’m being dim but is there anyway to figure out if the car has a 9kwh or the newer 12kwh battery?

I’m looking at 2019 and I would be hopeful of getting the newer model if possible

Cona wrote: »
    Maybe I’m being dim but is there anyway to figure out if the car has a 9kwh or the newer 12kwh battery?

I’m looking at 2019 and I would be hopeful of getting the newer model if possible

Cars built post July 2019 have 12kwh battery. Newer versions have live cockpit professional- new dials and not round one’s.

Also co2 on 12kwh is 41 & 38g/km. 9kwh were emitting 49 & 46 g/km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Cona wrote: »

The newer cars with the 12kWh battery don't have the eDrive badge on the rear quarter panel (i.e. above the petrol filler cap and on opposite side).

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wcooba

The newer cars with the 12kWh battery don't have the eDrive badge on the rear quarter panel (i.e. above the petrol filler cap and on opposite side).

That's not very indicative. I've seen few 2017 examples without that badge - there is even factory option code not to have it installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I was referring to cars pre-installed Deezer and Napster which use inbuilt sim card data services and don’t rely on your mobile phone.
    Of course you can use these apps from your mobile phone via Apple car play or android auto but they will be using mobile phone battery and data.

Could you re-enable these by adding an Irish SIM card?

Could you re-enable these by adding an Irish SIM card?
    Nope as I believe they are not licensed in Ireland. They were re-enabled when I added my car on bmw uk connected drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Nope as I believe they are not licensed in Ireland. They were re-enabled when I added my car on bmw uk connected drive.

Hi there. Read this last night and inspired me to give it a crack and set up a new UK account. Imagine my surprise when Spotify worked using the built in sim! Set my phone to flight more to verify. Gave Deezer a crack too but that would not work unfortunately. Set up a couple of trial accounts to experiment. Question for you - what works/does not work for you and have you noticed any unforeseen issues with anything else connected drive related?

I should add I'm on a new G20 with iDrive 7.....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

So if you were to take one of these out on a spirited drive or to a track day, how long would the battery last? 10-15km? I assume when the battery is run down, the car is back to sub-520I performance level, with 184 bhp and 240kg (!) of extra weight. Just curious how much fun you can actually have in one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Alter_Ego wrote: »
    So if you were to take one of these out on a spirited drive or to a track day, how long would the battery last? 10-15km? I assume when the battery is run down, the car is back to sub-520I performance level, with 184 bhp and 240kg (!) of extra weight. Just curious how much fun you can actually have in one of these.

You can always access battery power as far as I know, the engine keeps it active. Obviously it will use additional petrol to charge but always have aceess to both power sources is my understanding

I assume when the battery is run down, the car is back to sub-520I performance level, with 184 bhp and 240kg (!) of extra weight.

As said, it doesn't work like that.
    In sports mode, it keeps the battery charged using excess engine power & energy recovered from regenerative braking, so there's always the 252bhp available.

Look up the Porsche 919 EVO record lap of Nurburgring on youtube - it's eerily similar to the 530e's performance :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

You can always access battery power as far as I know, the engine keeps it active. Obviously it will use additional petrol to charge but always have aceess to both power sources is my understanding
    As said, it doesn't work like that.
    In sports mode, it keeps the battery charged using excess engine power & energy recovered from regenerative braking, so there's always the 252bhp available.

Look up the Porsche 919 EVO record lap of Nurburgring on youtube - it's eerily similar to the 530e's performance :p.

Good to know. Wonder what the fuel consumption would be in that case, probably somewhere between 7-9L/100km I'd say.

• Advertisement

Day to day road driving, you will never be without the 250 bhp as the car will always reserve some battery or recharge from petrol.
    Now its not magic and if in theory you were to race one (you bought the wrong car if you want to do that), you could get into a situation where the demand for acceleration would exceed energy recovery opportunity so in that scenario, the car would be using the engine to charge itself and id imagine there would be a acceleration loss from the petrol engine when doing this as its power output would be partially taken up with charging battery That said, huge levels of recovery of energy would be possible on heavy braking - probably even more if the car was tuned for such driving.
    In short, you dont get a heavy 520i in any scenario. What you get is a heavy 530i at a very reduced price with the added advantage that this 530 was run around on very cheap energy for many daily commutes.

Advertisement