Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EasyGo public chargers

Options
  • 07-09-2020 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I just purchased my first EV last week (and loving it!). I've signed up for both ESB's card, as well as EasyGo. One thing I am confused by is how some of the charge points for EasyGo are free, whereas the very same charger has to be paid for with the ESB card. This even goes for fast chargers. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

fillum wrote: »
    I just purchased my first EV last week (and loving it!). I've signed up for both ESB's card, as well as EasyGo. One thing I am confused by is how some of the charge points for EasyGo are free, whereas the very same charger has to be paid for with the ESB card. This even goes for fast chargers. Any ideas?

Private enterprise.
    The same way circle k in Cabra is €1 for petrol but circle k in Finglas is €1.10.

Location, ownership of the unit, contract, etc etc

Lidl is free as Lidl have quite green credibility and they want to entice you into their store. They are 22kw units.

Then some charge as they are on motorway routes so facilitate cross country travel.

The big question is did you buy an EV to only charge on the public network?
    Do you have a home charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk

Gumbo wrote: »
    Private enterprise.
    The same way circle k in Cabra is €1 for petrol but circle k in Finglas is €1.10.

Location, ownership of the unit, contract, etc etc

Lidl is free as Lidl have quite green credibility and they want to entice you into their store. They are 22kw units.

Then some charge as they are on motorway routes so facilitate cross country travel.

The big question is did you buy an EV to only charge on the public network?
    Do you have a home charger?

Just following on from that question, do you guys think that the charging network has improved since esb has started charging ev owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fillum

No I’ve just had a zappi installed today. Just found it odd that my local shopping Centre has fast chargers that I need to pay for with my card, but when using the EasyGO tag they’re free. Thanks for the answer

colmkirk wrote: »
    Just following on from that question, do you guys think that the charging network has improved since esb has started charging ev owners?

No idea. I don’t use the public network.
    But I have noticed on drive by’s that a lot of the chargers are always empty. I’d say for those that need it, it’s much easier to get a charge nowadays.

No I’ve just had a zappi installed today. Just found it odd that my local shopping Centre has fast chargers that I need to pay for with my card, but when using the EasyGO tag they’re free. Thanks for the answer

What chargers are they?
    Most if not all require a membership card or fob of some sort.

Even easygo require registration and you tap the fob or activate on their app the same way as ESB chargers. Even the free ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Interesting. Checking the easygo app it does say the esb units are free of charge. Surely not though!?

Interesting. Checking the easygo app it does say the esb units are free of charge. Surely not though!?

Yeah thats what I thought! I noticed it initially in the app that it had text beside each charger that said 'free of charge' - which made me try it out yesterday, I used the ESB CCS charger in my shopping centre, tapped the EasyGo fob and it worked.

Gumbo wrote: »
    What chargers are they?
    Most if not all require a membership card or fob of some sort.

Even easygo require registration and you tap the fob or activate on their app the same way as ESB chargers. Even the free ones.

They're the ESB green ones you see around the place, with the 3 chargers. I registered with EasyGo, they sent the fob and it worked.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As the ones I went to yesterday in Dublin all had diesels parked in them.
    One lad who was sitting in the car near the 'Joy did move it and I got in to charge. But the spaces aren't marked green.

I paid my parking charge and came back 90 mins later to have the car 1/2 charged for .78 cent.

They're the ESB green ones you see around the place, with the 3 chargers. I registered with EasyGo, they sent the fob and it worked.

Didn't work from the app anyways. Does the fob initiate charge? And for free (as suggested in the app)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware the app may say free but your credit card may be billed. The easygo app was supposed to work on esb chargers and Ionity, but it still seems buggy and not 100%.

The plan was interoperability between both systems. You may be billed at end of month. ESB chargers should not be free. Many easygo chargers are free particularly lidl ones.

False advertising to say they're free, and then bill for them.

False advertising to say they're free, and then bill for them.

They are not billing you though.
    Easygo should update their info but always check the source supplier, in this case, eCars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭obi604

Was at a lidl today and noticed an electric car charger post. Did not get a chance to look at it.

Anyone have any details on them? Does one need some sort of a swipe card or just plug and play? Presume they are 3.6 kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

obi604 wrote: »
    Was at a lidl today and noticed an electric car charger post. Did not get a chance to look at it.

22kW AC points, ran by EasyGo.
    You need their app/fob to initiate them.

https://easygo.ie/

Kramer wrote: »
    22kW AC points, ran by EasyGo.
    You need their app/fob to initiate them.

https://easygo.ie/

thanks, I cant easily see from the website
    is there a sign up or monthly fee?
    what is the cost per kw?

directed towards people that have actual experience with this service

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

thanks i cant easily see from the website
    what is teh cost per kw?

directed towards people that have actual experience with this servuice

Depends on the chargers, EasyGo can have different prices depending on where the charger is

Lidl ones are free last time I checked

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Depends on the chargers, EasyGo can have different prices depending on where the charger is

Lidl ones are free last time I checked

thanks, for a very occasional user of public chargers, is it worthwhile to sign up to easygo? I have an esb ecars sign up.

not sure if its worth my while to be probably paying another monthly fee to easygo

thanks, for a very occasional user of public chargers, is it worthwhile to sign up to easygo? I have an esb ecars sign up.

not sure if its worth my while to be probably paying another monthly fee to easygo

You can sign up for a free account and no monthly fees, download the app and you'll be able to use the lidl chargers

If you're only going to use public charging occasionally then I'd avoid the ESB monthly fee account, just use pay as you go

You can sign up for a free account and no monthly fees, download the app and you'll be able to use the lidl chargers

If you're only going to use public charging occasionally then I'd avoid the ESB monthly fee account, just use pay as you go

noted with easy go, is there any upfront fees etc

seems like you have to pay them for the fob

• Advertisement

noted with easy go, is there any upfront fees etc

seems like you have to pay them for the fob

Only if you go for the fob, I didn't bother

Only if you go for the fob, I didn't bother

thanks, so essentially, its free to register for easy go (if you dont bother with fob)

and you can use it to charge with the free chargers at lidl etc

what other charges does it allow you charge with ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Must be a new thing, I never got charged for two fobs when I signed up in May with them

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

which of these options is best to choose? presume the pay as you go scenario

pay as you go suggest just for one use only, anything above this should be pre pay

https://ibb.co/H4ZJQmp

what other charges does it allow you charge with ?

Easiest way is to go onto the easygo website and look at the list of chargers, any that are listed *should* work with easygo, including the ESB ones

Having said that, I've yet to try the ESB chargers with easygo, so can't comment on how well/badly it works

which of these options is best to choose? presume the pay as you go scenario

pay as you go suggest just for one use only, anything above this should be pre pay

https://ibb.co/H4ZJQmp

any thoughts on this?

any thoughts on this?

Pay as you go, since you mentioned you'd only occasionally use them and the lidl chargers are free

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I signed up when they were new. Got free dongle (which doesn't work when I tested it recently - requested a new one) and got phone app. Several Lidls near me have an easy go charger, which usually have good parking, well marked and with 2 * 22kW AC chargers, free to use for customers of Lidl only for max 1 hour (but this doesn't seem to be policed)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Easiest way is to go onto the easygo website

Apparently they can't easily use the EasyGo website though :pac:.
    thanks, I cant easily see from the website
    what is the cost per kw?
    directed towards people that have actual experience with this service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭innrain

The first private rapid charger in Dublin went live today. At least it showing live on easygo app.
    I'm trying to ascertain their prices but I don't really get it.
    On the website it says

EasyGo 50kW DC Charge Point. Access through EasyGo only. From Monday 13th July 2020, access fee payable plus €0.35 per kWh used. There is an additional overstay penalty of €0.35 per minute applied after 60 minutes plugged in. Vat of 13.5% applies.

on the app 532444.png

I can't find a prices page on their website. Does anybody know better?

Advertisement