Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EasyGo public chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Sorry if this has been asked previously .. does Easygo cover the majority of charge points ( except Tesla ) .. have just registered with them and would prefer to leave it at that rather than join others.

Dont care if slightly more expensive as I will only use infrequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭innrain

Yes. Although there were reports of ecars chargers not responding to easygo requests.. Also ecars charging easygo users overstay even at AC chargers. Promised they'll get it solved soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

There is/was an issue using the eCar 22kW SCPs using an EasyGo account. A 45 minute overstay fee applies to EasyGo customers applies that doesn’t if you’re an eCars customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

You could survive with easygo only however as mentioned there is an overstay fee on esb AC chargers that does not happen if you use ESB app or card, you can stay as long as parking allows.

You can just download the esb app, it provides good status on the chargers and you can activate and pay with or without an account, and without a monthly fee. I highly recommend getting an RFID card too as often the app may not work, but card does work and vice versa. You can phone the esb helpline if stuck, but issues happen so often it's handy to be able to try apps and RFID cards yourself. My record is 8 times trying to start a charge after which it worked.

Facebook. Message from easygo

Thrilled to see ECars have finally released an interoperability contract that has removed the overstay penalty for AC Charging (starting next month). Unfortunately they still have fees 30% higher for AC Charging to interoperability partners. Guess you win some and loose some!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

interoperability

There's our word of the day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

"EasyGo recently signed a deal with telecommunications firm Eir to convert 180 former telephone kiosks into rapid charge points."

Didn't this happen last December? No word of any progress since then as far as I can see.

I think today's article is more about the funding it has received. It seems that they added some new investors on their portfolio and a new name, or at least new to me. Probably the new round of funding would help in getting the chargers installed. You can imagine their expansion plans were badly hit by the whole pandemic thing. Looking forward to seeing and using more chargers from these guys and hopefully faster than 50kW units. And no I'm not associated with them just a customer who appreciates their services.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

At least someone is taking the bill by the horns…..

I just hope they start rolling out hubs, as well as 100kW plus chargers

Funding is one thing (just look at eCars), we need to see new locations being rolled out as soon as they can but I've more faith in EasyGo than eCars at this stage. Any experience I've had with EasyGo has been very positive, so good to see they are getting the backing they need.

Does anyone have any update on the Eir/EasyGo plans or was it shelved in the end?

• Advertisement

At least with EasyGo, they have a deal in principle with Eir for the old phone boxes, as well as their deal with SuperValu stores, so hopefully this funding help them press on with those plans...

50kW DC chargers would be ideal in the likes of SuperValu/Dunnes/Tesco etc.... especially for folk with no home charging options... Pop to the shops twice a week, and get the car topped up over 2 20 minute sessions......

Still can't for the life of me see the logic in eCars installing AC22's in Tesco carparks (despite my local one being reasonably busy)....

From Easygo facebook page

EasyGo.ie

1 hr · 

What a fantastic challenge we have ahead of us..

Thank you to Rubicon Capital Advisors and Aircore NI for your backing to make this much needed infrastructure project happen. The investment will incorporate 50kW and 75kW Tritium DC Chargers fitted to publicly available locations across the Island of Ireland.

It's been an exciting 7 years working in the EV Charging space but today feels like we've just reached the starting line! I'd like to personally thank Gerard Cash, Robert Sheehan and the rest of the EasyGo.ie and CarCharger.ie teams in helping us get to where we are.

Let's keep Charging!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm looking forward to all the posts from the eCars complainers about how rubbish and slow EasyGo are with their rollout

well, lets wait and see how the direct competitor to eCars gets on now with similar funding levels to eCars...

I'd imagine the NI based EV community are delighted with this announcement.

Remember though: eCars - publicly funded, EasyGo - privately funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

• 1. eCars have had close to a 10 year head start on everyone
    • 2. eCars were 100% taxpayer funded initially & basically gifted the network
    • 3. eCars had a monopoly on charging, for close to 10 years
    • 4. eCars were & still are, largely taxpayer funded
    • 5. eCars is (AFAIK) a semi state entity with no shareholders etc. to report to
    • 6. eCars has shown no real ambition & we are laggards in terms of charging infrastructure, compared to most of Europe.

EasyGo are a private company, now answerable to their investors. If they aren't successful, people will lose their jobs/livelihoods. There's no obligation on them to provide infrastructure. eCars had/have that obligation.

Look at how Ionity came in & completed several multi-car hubs in double quick time. During their roll out, eCars had none.

I wish EasyGo well but eCars is an entirely different beast & subject to criticism, where private providers aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Should attract less complaints as their roll out is being done with private money*. Ionity were very up front about long waiting times for grid connections so that may cause delays for EasyGo.

*not sure if EasyGo applied to the CAF for money or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

regarding the long waiting times for grid connection.. . if EasyGo are staying at 50kW units, with some 75kW units, would that mean easier grid connections compared to Ionity who'd have needed probably 1.4MW connection at their 4 stall sites.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

eCars do not have an obligation to provide infra, as a subdivision of a private (state-owned) company they operated and then took over the running of the CER funded pilot network and placed a bid to the Climate Action Fund to expand the network in ways that we have seen the results of. I hope that EasyGo take advantage of this injection of funding to also obtain government funding for expansion.

It's not a monopoly when an organisation is providing services on a basis that is not sustainable commercially, the mistake this country has always been to see charging services as a commercial endeavour before critical mass is achieved. We should of followed the model used in the UK/Norway/Netherlands where a national infrastructure agency issued tenders for the installation of chargers in specific geographic areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Spot on. Shouldn't have compared a Tier 1 hub sized connection to a 50 to 100 kW connection.

@Kramer AFAIK eCars are a subsidiary of semi state ESB. 50% funding from Climate Action Fund and the other 50% from ESB. Arguably 100% taxpayer funded but I'm open to correction on that.

• Advertisement

Location , location , location. That’s what it boils down to.

mid there spare capacity in the location they are putting them. What distance do they need to run cables?

AFAIK eCars are a subsidiary of semi state ESB. 50% funding from Climate Action Fund and the other 50% from ESB. Arguably 100% taxpayer funded but I'm open to correction on that.

There is a big difference between taxpayer funded, and owned by the state. Over the last decade ESB have given €1.2 billion as dividends back to its shareholders (95% the Irish Government, 5% the employee ESOP scheme). The company is generally more than covering costs and returning money to the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Over the last decade ESB have given €1.2 billion as dividends back to its shareholders (95% the Irish Government, 5% the employee ESOP scheme). The company is generally more than covering costs and returning money to the taxpayer.

We're paying exorbitant prices for energy/electricity here - no wonder they're highly profitable!

But I agree, the way eCars & the network/infrastructure was formulated was wrong. It should have been tendered out in a competitive & open way, just like the national broadband plan 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

It would be cheaper and far quicker to give every home that doesn't have fibre a star link dish. Could have the whole country covered in 2 weeks

That article is from 2014. We are at the end if a very long pipeline. Of course has will cost more. we also import all our fuel.

you know starlink doesn’t receive electricity, but yes it would have been a far better plan than the NBP

In terms of Eir and easygo today's press release shows an Eir branded easygo charger so old phone boxes will probably be many sites. They said before they are already working with county council's nationwide to get the nearby spaces marked EV only and possibly reconfigured and get supply upgraded to the old phone box. Time will tell.

Full release below

EasyGo has secured more than €15 million of funding to add 500 Rapid Chargers to its Irish Electric Vehicle (“EV”) Charging Network.

Covering both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, the high-powered chargers will be rolled out to retail, town centre and hospitality destinations via a range of strategic partnerships that EasyGo has and continues to enter into. This investment will address the significant deficit for such infrastructure across the entire island of Ireland, thereby alleviating range anxiety which is one of the critical barriers to fostering greater EV usage in the country.

Commenting on this latest phase of EasyGo’s growth strategy, Rob Sheehan, Financial Director”, EasyGo said “As a fast-growing Irish business in the energy transition sector, this investment accelerates the final component of our strategy, complementing our sister company CarCharger EV Ltd that has been successfully installing and operating EV chargers in homes and workplaces across Ireland for over 5 years. Drivers will be able to charge at home, at work, and now in public charging stations across the island. As a fully integrated EV charging business, we now supply, install, own and operate EV charging infrastructure for EV drivers, wherever they may need charging.”

Chris Kelly, Director of EasyGo further commented “We are now in a unique position to roll out this much-needed infrastructure quickly. Our focus on providing state-of-the art rapid chargers will ensure that drivers will have access to EV charging in safe and convenient public spaces, where they can leave their car to charge while going about other activities.” A typical rapid cCharger will add 100km of range to an EV in less than 15 minutes.

The funding has been secured in partnership with Rubicon Capital Advisors, DunPort Capital Management, and Air Core. “This is a transformative moment for both EasyGo and the Irish transport sector. As global demand for EVs continues to grow exponentially while at the same time nations struggle to decarbonise the transport sector, public EV charging is a critical enabler to fulfilling both the needs of drivers and national policy objectives. We are delighted to be investing directly alongside the EasyGo team while securing this highly innovative financing for the platform. This is a fantastic example of how private capital and private enterprises can work together to meet the needs of society, the economy and the environment.”, said Aeneas Griffin, Managing Director of Rubicon Capital Advisors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Just install 2 x 100kwh chargers capable of charging 4 cars at the same in almost every petrol station and easygo will then have it sown up!

The ecars chargers are already in car parks in towns and places like that so easygo need to do something different and the petrol stations are the way to go and that would make a massive difference to EV charging all over the island.

I honestly think we need to get away from petrol stations as locations for EV chargers....

On Motorway services, yes of course, but in local petrol stations, nah, why would you want to sit in a smelly petrol station charging up for 30 minutes, when you could be sat in a grocery store or restaurant/hotel carpark, or even just in a nice park.... Hotels and restaurants are really missing a trick here... they should be actively chasing up the likes of eCars/EasyGo to install fast chargers at their locations....

Look at what happened at the hotel in Tralee: Guy contacted Tesla saying he'd be open to hosting a supercharger -- heard nothing back, and then when Elon Musk visited/toured Ireland last year and realised how sh1t our network was, the guy in Tralee finally got a call back and now he has 2 Superchargers there under a 10 year lease....

• Advertisement

Trying to reply to @mike_2009 post https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118040808/#Comment_118040808

Don't know how to quote from a different thread

Here are the DC chargers of EasyGo

Noticed a new one.

Advertisement