Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

I can only imagine People telling you "serves you right for buy an electric car" and they'll all be telling everyone "electric cars are unreliable" because of your story which will get altered 1000 times as the news of this really bad electric car spreads through the neighbourhood lol

"I heard he was without it for months and it cost him a fortune to rent a car"

" I heard the battery had to be replaced after a few weeks usage"

" he told me he only gets around 80 kms before he has to recharge"

" told you those electric yokes were useless"

"I know a lad who's battery didn't last 2 years and cost 20 grand to replace"

" he told me his electric bill is massive"

LOL you're the talk of the town now.

In all fairness, that was brilliant, and summed up the thoughts of an unbelievable number of people.

Range anxiety reasons now appear to be overtaken by too slow DC charging, despite the fact that I'm sure 90%+ of charging being done at home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Jaysus, go easy, it was just an idle comment. Some frustration is understandable, given the circumstances. Thankfully, there are a number of helpful posters on the forum, providing useful information.

You need to spin the story, my electric car had issues due to the battery, I had to spend €100 to buy a spare one :D

championc wrote: »
    In all fairness, that was brilliant, and summed up the thoughts of an unbelievable number of people.

Range anxiety reasons now appear to be overtaken by too slow DC charging, despite the fact that I'm sure 90%+ of charging being done at home.

Ha ha cheers. Yeah I've heard some good ones about electrics. :D

You're correct, DC charging is a big deal, while most of us wouldn't need it frequently it's important to charge as fast as possible and this also ensures that chargers are made available as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

What's the best insurance provider for an e-Niro now?
    Current one - Allianz - offered 760 EUR renewal (middle aged driver + b10)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

xboxdad wrote: »
    Got mine through evinsurance found them very helpful.. €535 for me and missus.... think it with Liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Just renewed mine with Aviva. €342 for myself and wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

€388 for myself and wife with Aviva.

Just renewed mine with Aviva. €342 for myself and wife.
    chewed wrote: »
    €388 for myself and wife with Aviva.

These are nice low numbers!

chewed, did you call them & haggle or just entered your details online and got a nice quote like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Another vote for Aviva, transferred mid policy and only cost an additional €23 for the remaining 5 months. Original policy was about €300 for the pair of us.

Had to call them though as they didn't have the e-Niro on the MyAviva system. In their internal system they have a few variants, e.g. First Edition (2019 version), the '4' (2020 version) and the smaller battery version. If buying a new 64kWh car you should select the '4'.

• Advertisement

Redlim wrote: »
    Another vote for Aviva, transferred mid policy and only cost an additional €23 for the remaining 5 months. Original policy was about €300 for the pair of us.

Had to call them though as they didn't have the e-Niro on the MyAviva system. In their internal system they have a few variants, e.g. First Edition (2019 version), the '4' (2020 version) and the smaller battery version. If buying a new 64kWh car you should select the '4'.

Nice! Did you call them to haggle or just got the quote online via their website?

Update: Ignore, you wrote you called them :)

Nice! Did you call them to haggle or just got the quote online via their website?

Update: Ignore, you wrote you called them :)

Yeah, I just called them. No haggling required. I normally would haggle but think I was a little surprised it was so low considering I was trading up from an end of life car.

I was an existing customer though so I didn't go through the normal online quote process. They give an additional discount for new online quotes so if you're unable to select the e-Niro online be sure to tell them this on the phone. This way they'll still grant you the online discount as the issue is at their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Has anyone had check FCA come up for no apparent reason? It’s happened 4 times now on the same stretch of road.

These are nice low numbers!

chewed, did you call them & haggle or just entered your details online and got a nice quote like this?

I was already insured on my old Sportage, but had to call them to move insurance to the eNiro, because I couldn't actually select the car from the website! But the price stayed the same when I transferred

But, yes, I always haggle when renewing insurance. If you don't ask, you don't get!

I was already insured on my old Sportage, but had to call them to move insurance to the eNiro, because I couldn't actually select the car from the website! But the price stayed the same when I transferred

But, yes, I always haggle when renewing insurance. If you don't ask, you don't get!

Yeah, so I did transfer my insurance from my (very) old car to the e-Niro and the cost stayed the same. ....until the renewal which is when they wanted +30%. So that's why I'm looking to switch.

Yeah, so I did transfer my insurance from my (very) old car to the e-Niro and the cost stayed the same. ....until the renewal which is when they wanted +30%. So that's why I'm looking to switch.

Oh OK! That's interesting to know. I wonder why the big increase? Is it just to do with the car being so new?

Oh OK! That's interesting to know. I wonder why the big increase? Is it just to do with the car being so new?

They didn't say.
    Once my insurance went up from 600 to 1600 with Aviva for the same car. I even called them to ask if they really think anybody would take that. They weren't interested. Switched... :) ...but now I'll try Aviva seeing the low fees reported here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You should be able to find out how much you are paying extra for car value.
    There is bound to be a diff if going from 5K to 50K value ;)

Well, a few people are paying 3xx here so with a middle-aged driver and b10 I'd expect to pay that. Will see if I can get it. Note, one person here said they went from an end-of-life car to the 41k car and got 3xx. That's similar to my situation.

Well, a few people are paying 3xx here so with a middle-aged driver and b10 I'd expect to pay that. Will see if I can get it. Note, one person here said they went from an end-of-life car to the 41k car and got 3xx. That's similar to my situation.

Same for me. I got €12k for my Sportage as a trade in for a €40k car with no change in my premium.

• Advertisement

That was me. I'm hoping that I don't get the same full year renewal hike that you had. You have me a little worried now! Any luck getting a quote from Aviva?

Redlim wrote: »
    That was me. I'm hoping that I don't get the same full year renewal hike that you had. You have me a little worried now! Any luck getting a quote from Aviva?

Haven't tried yet. Will start calling around in a few days from now I guess. ...but first I'll try online quote aggregators I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It's not all about value. Newer cars are safer and therefore less risk of an expensive claim. The Niro has auto emergency braking among other safety gizmos, this puts it into a different bracket than some banger. :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There is a YouTube video showing the engineer mode on the new niro got anyone who is interested.

https://youtu.be/vjsw5dTxTFk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

graememk wrote: »
    There is a YouTube video showing the engineer mode on the new niro got anyone who is interested.

https://youtu.be/vjsw5dTxTFk
    Interesting. Didn't see anything that reports on the voltage of the 12V battery (couldn't enable engineer mode anyway, as none of the buttons are working on the radio :(). On a positive note, since the radio stopped working correctly, the battery seems to be holding steady at around 12.68V. Every cloud!

There seems to be some chaos around KIA Assistance...

I just cancelled our AA Platinum Membership since KIA Assistance is provided by AA (see your windscreen sticker) and you can't even let a regular mechanic jack up your car.

The AA denies they provide such service though...

See the conversation:

(...)

AgentNameReplaced
    Thank you. I just need to advise you that cover provided by KIA is not AA cover. We have no affiliation with them.

AgentNameReplaced
    Please keep in mind not all breakdown cover is the same. I can't comment on another company, however would always recommend looking at what they offer. Some services have restricted hours, may simply be towing services rather than doing any labour at the side of the road, where others charge for the labour in excess to the payment you have made on your motor policy and/or charges for the tow that surpasses certain radius or kilometres.

AgentNameReplaced
    If I could offer a discount on the Membership, would you consider keeping the cover?
    Me:

It's literally written on the windscreen sticker that it's provided by the AA
    AgentNameReplaced
    No, it is not.

AgentNameReplaced
    You need to contact whoever sold you the car for clarification. We have absolutely no affiliation with KIA.
    Me:

I just double checked
    It says

"Service provided by AA" (your yellow logo)

Can I attach a photo here?
    AgentNameReplaced
    You need to contact whoever sold you the car.
    Me:

KIA..
    AgentNameReplaced
    We only provide service for personal members, Hyundai and AIB business card holders.
    Me:

KIA is the same company as Hyundai

So that's the solution then
    AgentNameReplaced
    What year is the vehicle?
    Me:

AgentNameReplaced
    Definitely contact KIA for clarification.

AgentNameReplaced
    Would you like me to action anything on your Membership or do you wish to speak with them first?
    Me:

It's clear to me, but thank you.

Please do not renew my policy
    AgentNameReplaced
    Ok, that is set to lapse.

AgentNameReplaced
    Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    Me:

Thanks AgentNameReplaced. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Your issue is with Kia, don't know what you expected AA to say there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It might just be a training thing. I have home insurance with Ulster Bank, Aviva are the underwriters. If I phone Aviva, I'm told they have nothing to do with my insurance, if I phone Ulster Bank I get an Aviva person who can assist, the calls are likely just routed to someone with extra training or access to a required system.

JPA wrote: »
    Your issue is with Kia, don't now what you expected AA to say there.

You don't know that for sure.
    You seem to assume there is an issue on KIA's side and they wrongfully displayed the text about AA and their logo.
    I don't assume that.
    I assume the agent doesn't know what they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You don't know that for sure.
    You seem to assume there is an issue on KIA's side and they wrongfully displayed the text about AA and their logo.
    I don't assume that.
    I assume the agent doesn't know what they're doing.

No, there is a communication breakdown between Kia and the AA. Your relationship is with KIA and KIA assist, so go through them.

The agent has his information in front of him, not his fault if he wasn't told about it.

Also, vast majority of insurance covers breakdown assist.

Advertisement