Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Why are there so many Brazilians in Dublin, does anyone know? And why are they all Deliveroo drivers? The government pump out propaganda that the non-EU immigrants entering the country are all high IQ doctors and engineers yet they all seem to be riding bikes and engaging in illicit activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Random Account

coinop wrote: »
    Why are there so many Brazilians in Dublin, does anyone know? And why are they all Deliveroo drivers? The government pump out propaganda that the non-EU immigrants entering the country are all high IQ doctors and engineers yet they all seem to be riding bikes and engaging in illicit activities.

Most of them come to learn English and are students. Don’t quote me on that though. No too sure why they are all Brazilians though

Most of them come to learn English and are students. Don’t quote me on that though. No too sure why they are all Brazilians though

Surely the USA and Canada are closer for Brazilians? Language schools are closed during the pandemic so why are they really here? I appreciate your reply but you're guessing. I was hoping someone in the know could fill me in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Surely the USA and Canada are closer for Brazilians? Language schools are closed during the pandemic so why are they really here? I appreciate your reply but you're guessing. I was hoping someone in the know could fill me in.

Yeah its his fault for getting run over and killed lol.

If you started this dog whistle rant in front of me in real life I would physically assault you for being a disrespectful tit.

Back on topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/ilctgy/deliveroo_march_for_thiago_who_was_killed_in_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

as you can see the seeds of riots are being sown. Response of the police will dictate the next few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

We have an agreement with the Brazilian government that they can come here to study English AND work 20 hours per week, that's why they're over here, a lot of them would be entitled to Italian and Portuguese citizenship as well so they come here to save money and be close to those countries.

Why deliveroo drivers? Set your own hours, tips in the hand..... Not sure how declaring you're income works.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Not the time, nor the thread for it.

Yeah its his fault for getting run over and killed lol.

I don't remember saying that.
    If you started this dog whistle rant in front of me in real life I would physically assault you for being a disrespectful tit.

An internet tough guy. Lol. The fact you're getting so upset shows me I'm asking the right questions. There are a select few elites who are getting rich off these immigration scams. Landlords, NGO shills, Deliveroo, to name a few. Meanwhile it's the ordinary Irish who suffer.

Vvh6GcY.png
    as you can see the seeds of riots are being sown. Response of the police will dictate the next few decades.

Life is cheap in the Brazilian favelas. Innocent children get shot every day over pocket change. And you want to bring these people to Ireland? Lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

An internet tough guy. Lol. The fact you're getting so upset shows me I'm asking the right questions. There are a select few elites who are getting rich off these immigration scams. Landlords, NGO shills, Deliveroo, to name a few. Meanwhile it's the ordinary Irish who suffer.

Vvh6GcY.png

Life is cheap in the Brazilian favelas. Innocent children get shot every day over pocket change. And you want to bring these people to Ireland? Lol.

He actually blew his cover AHAHHAAH

yeah it was pretty obvious dog whistle about immigration, gloabilism, NGOs, 5G etc the usual loony crank-magnet topics.

Im not an internet tough guy at all. Im telling you straight up, if you went to the demonstrations today and started ranting about the usual internet dweller conspiracy sh*te you wouldve been physically assaulted. Would be greatly deserved too.

Tell you what, you want to imply his death is some sort of globalist conspiracy do it in real life. Come to the demonstrations. Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The welfare class in the area seem to be getting worse. More bold, more brazen. They know there's no consequences. The Guards are literally scared of them. Makes me laugh the new cycleway that joins onto Sheriff STreet has basically become a playground for them. You see plenty of Guards at 1pm taking a stroll there, but funny you never see any at 10pm when the little s**ts are exploding fireworks onto cars to see if they can kill more passers by for the giggles.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Vvh6GcY.png

This thread is nothing to do with immigration

Do not post in this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,132 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

markodaly wrote: »
    The benefits for cycling are self-evident, its just in Ireland people seem to be very selfish about it and their cars.
    Just have a read of the thread about the new proposed 30/kmh limit.

So, the same poster will have sympathy for the Thiago Cortes, but then will give out about the government or the council building cycling infrastructure or decreasing speed limits.

Look I’m incredibly pro public transport / cycling infrastructure. I think the proposed speed limit reduction is incredibly logical too. I will vote for these things and enthusiastically support them.

A segregated cycle lane along the North quays would have saved Thiago Cortes’s life.

However, when I hear Dublin cyclists talking about bear brushes with death I am genuinely personally amazed at why they continue to persevere with the bike. One day it won’t be a near miss, and it will not have been worth it. Cycling absent of proper segregated cycle lanes just does not seem to be worth the risk.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    However, when I hear Dublin cyclists talking about bear brushes with death I am genuinely personally amazed at why they continue to persevere with the bike. One day it won’t be a near miss, and it will not have been worth it. Cycling absent of proper segregated cycle lanes just does not seem to be worth the risk.
    Ok so let's ban cars from the city centre until we get the segregated lanes. That way the least efficient mode of transport will be gone from the stteets, there'll be less pollution, and public transport will be quicker.

Ok so let's ban cars from the city centre until we get the segregated lanes. That way the least efficient mode of transport will be gone from the stteets, there'll be less pollution, and public transport will be quicker.

Both you and mark failed to address the core point. In the way it is now - the way it is likely to be for some time - why do you persevere? Surely one brush with death is enough for anyone?

There’s a great community of Brazilians here. They avail of the arrangement to come over and they work difficult low paying jobs and live in cramped conditions while maintaining a smile on their face and a positive view on the opportunities afforded by Ireland. It’s a great attitude and the economy clearly has a demand for their labour.

I’m gutted this happened to them. Hopefully justice will be done soon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Both you and mark failed to address the core point. In the way it is now - the way it is likely to be for some time - why do you persevere? Surely one brush with death is enough for anyone?
    What you're asking is why don't I let a bully stop me doing something I love doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I was so sad to hear this news.

The area around the IFSC is an utter sh1thole and I've long despaired about how so much of the tiny city centre is so rough and basically lawless. Yes, all cities have their bad parts, but I can't think of any which have so many bad parts so close to the city centre, with the police just totally ignoring the scummy behaviour.

I have a friend who lost his father after being attacked by some random scumbag not far from where this happened.

Why do the Guards just stand by and let this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

A lot of them are highly educated and skilled, they just don't have the right to do their professional jobs in Ireland so work in menial jobs to support themselves while they study English. I worked teaching TEFL for a while during my own studies and I had students with law and even medical degrees working in McDonald's or whatever, not too proud to do whatever work they could to pay the bills.

Shame the inbred scumbags who killed Thiago didn't have the same mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

The poor man was only 28 and had a fiance. Killed by 4 scumbags in a Ford Fiesta who then did a runner, in the IFSC area. He was hit on Monday but died today. How could you crash into a man and leave him dying there? I've spent enough time in that area to have seen children flying around on scramblers, foreign security guards attacked and having racist slurs shouted at them, f*cking horses racing up and down. In the city centre. It's ridiculous.
    This case has really struck a chord with me because I cycle to work myself, and the fact that the guy is earning minimum wage working for Deliveroo, part of the gig economy, just trying to earn a few quid.
    Law and order seems to be non existent in the city centre, I mean if we can't keep that under control what the f*ck do the Garda actually do?
    Why are we ok with the city centre being such a hotbed of antisocial behaviour? I've lived in many cities before and I know other countries have problems, but you don't see the stuff you see in the city centre here in other city centres.
    RIP to the poor man, and remember how rough these delivery guys have it in Dublin, they are often assaulted by scumbags and put up with all kinds of sh*t.

This is just the reality of living in Dublin. You can't hang about. Too many knobs about. The Gardai couldn't be arsed with it, and you couldn't expect them to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The reason the Gardai aren't available to prevent this, is resourcing. There aren't enough Gardai. Remember at the start of lockdown when there were Gardai everywhere?
    That proves it's possible, but it's a matter of will. People want more Gardai on the street, but when you say they'll need to pay more tax, they'll go on some whinge about TD wages and social welfare costs, and make false claims that, "we already pay enough tax".

Irish people want better services - including law enforcement - but we don't want to pay for them.

The reason the Gardai are slow to do anything about this kind of crime after the fact is because everyone is entitled to be treated equally by the law. The 4 kids who were in this car are undoubtedly out and out scum, but it is essential that they are treated legally the same as you or I. They can't just be lifted from their beds and thrown in jail without proof of their crime.

One thing that the pandemic has exposed is just how lightly vehicles in Ireland get away with acting badly. There was nobody on the roads for 3 months and somehow we saw no reduction in road deaths. Poor driving is just not punished severely enough, driving needs to be more heavily regulated, licences need to be easier to lose.

If I worked on a building site and caused a serious accident due to misuse of heavy machinery, I'd never get a job with heavy machinery again. Crash a few cars though? You're grand, fire away.

Would there be a noticeable amount of Garda patrolling on foot around the business/financial area in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The RTE report last night was disgraceful.
    I think it was Paul Williams who harped on that the car was easily attained by gang and there has been calls for tighter controls on the sales of second hand cars.

Seriously?

These were scumbags who would have got that car no matter what. No way would he have mentioned the likely multiple convictions these scum have already racked up and the months of lawlessness that has gone on around the area recently.

I hope they're caught put they'll probably only get a slap on the wrist and they'll go easy on their 'hard upbringing'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Chudwick Boseman

Guards could crackdown on the scum but you'd have the libs out in force crying about racism and oppression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I was so sad to hear this news.

The area around the IFSC is an utter sh1thole and I've long despaired about how so much of the tiny city centre is so rough and basically lawless. Yes, all cities have their bad parts, but I can't think of any which have so many bad parts so close to the city centre, with the police just totally ignoring the scummy behaviour.

I have a friend who lost his father after being attacked by some random scumbag not far from where this happened.

Cos they're useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

To the person giving out about Brazilians coming here. They come on what are essentially working holidays to learn English for a year or two. The same thing Irish hoardes do in Australia. And we are often in the news there for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cassette50

The welfare class in the area seem to be getting worse. More bold, more brazen. They know there's no consequences. The Guards are literally scared of them. Makes me laugh the new cycleway that joins onto Sheriff STreet has basically become a playground for them. You see plenty of Guards at 1pm taking a stroll there, but funny you never see any at 10pm when the little s**ts are exploding fireworks onto cars to see if they can kill more passers by for the giggles.

There was a vigil held yesterday for Mr. Cortes and some of the local feral "kids" threw fireworks at some people in the crowd.

This time they were chased all the way back home to Sean Treacy House by some of the angry crowd. There are many videos floating around of the incident.

Somewhat ironically the guards were quickly on the scene to save the troublemakers from a well deserved beating...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There is a huge amount in IT working. They are well educated and to be honest technically better than many Irish working in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jeaaysus

****ing hell thats crazy. Feral is an understatement when it comes to those kids (and probably their parents too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

North Inner City is a lawless kip.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Chudwick Boseman

Imagine escaping the poverty and violence of Brazil only to get killed by knackers in Dublin? Sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement