Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Can somebody explain the phenomenom of why it always feels so much hotter, and heavy in the late evening? I swear i suffer much more now than I ever do during the midday heat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fantastic day in Kerry getting up to 21.7C, very calm until a gentle sea breeze kicked in during the afternoon. Very humid with a RH reading over 80% all day. Cooling slightly now to 17.9C and calm again making it a fine evening. All the outdoor jobs done outside in case I dont get a chance again this week with the expected rain to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Am I missing something? I am in Dublin and today was 23 degrees. It has been dry and mostly warm since Saturday. It was sunny today and Saturday but cloudier the other days. It definitely has not been bad weather in Dublin, I have been out with the kids most days and it’s been very pleasant. Are we only referring to sunshine? For me dry and in the 20s constitutes decent weather.

The east coast hasn't been in the 20's though :confused:

It's been in the mid teens all week and constantly overcast so hardly surprising people are complaining when the whole of Europe (including the rest of Ireland for once!) is having great weather

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's been in the mid teens all week and constantly overcast so hardly surprising people are complaining when the whole of Europe (including the rest of Ireland for once!) is having great weather

yep we've had mid teens to high teens up to yesterday. We just about scratched 20C yesterday and today has easily been the highlight of the past 6 weeks with temperatures around 21 to 24 and a few glimses of sunshine.

While the weather hasn't been that bad over the past week, it was very poor compared to anywhere else in Europe including western and parts of southern Ireland. The 4 days without any sunshine and the grey gloom is what has upset quite a few people after an almost sunless July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

Am I missing something? I am in Dublin and today was 23 degrees. It has been dry and mostly warm since Saturday. It was sunny today and Saturday but cloudier the other days. It definitely has not been bad weather in Dublin, I have been out with the kids most days and it’s been very pleasant. Are we only referring to sunshine? For me dry and in the 20s constitutes decent weather.

Its all relative. People are cracking up in Dublin because weather is crap in comparison to rest of country. Saturday beautuful day but still only reached 18 degrees while 23 degrees for example in Athenry.

Sunday was forecast as even better but cloudy all day only 1 hour of sunshine+ max 17.5 degrees. Meanwhile 24 degrees in beautiful west.

Monday was an absolutely miserable day in North Dublin anyway. Mist all morning that then changed to drizzlely rain for rest of day from 12 onwards. Max only 16.6 that is not warm. Meanwhile guess what still 20 degrees in other parts of country.

Yesterday in Dublin we had 0 hours of sunshine max 18.8 degrees. Meanwhile yet again 24 degrees in Athnery.

Finally today in Dublin its warm but again stubborn cloud remains.

Met Eireanns forecast for Dublin has been an absolute joke since Saturday. Telling us everyday sunshine + some cloud when no sun whatsoever. Also Dublin getting no were near max temperatures they predict.

Don't get me wrong apart from Monday is grand weather for being out + about not much rain but its very frustrating when your expecting this lovely weather everyday due to forecast + never happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭pauldry

Went to Rosses Point and through 5 hours of roadworks. Took 45 minutes to get from a roundabout to the traffic lights. Is Sligo now got busier traffic than Rio or London?

Luckily I knew a few back routes and made it to the Point before darkness. Windy out there though and only 19c after leaving 24c in Sligo.

Should have got a paddling pool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

21c at 10pm at both Cork airport and Roches Point!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looks like a decent day there today alright. Across in England we again see the hotspot that is Heathrow standing out as the only station to get above 35.0. At 35.3 it was 0.6 degrees warmer than than the next warmest (Farnborough).

522849.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It was 23 in Dublin today according to met eireann

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Now that was a lovely day. Loads of sun. 22/23 in Galway and just perfect. The sea temperature is deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Weather is very subjective. What constitutes good weather to one person could be regarded as terrible to another. And is a reason for many of the heated debates on here of course :pac:

For example I have many friends who would regard a cold, frosty, snow-filled weather as terrible (think of the heating bills!) whereas I know most of us on here (including me) would die for one!

But honestly the past few days in Dublin have been utter sh*te imo.

Between Saturday and Tuesday inclusive the temp didn't breach 20 celcius. That's actually BELOW average for Dublin.

And apart from Saturday there has been ZERO sunshine.

I struggle to see how that is good.

What gets me is that this has happened while high pressure and high upper temps have been over us!

Only in Ireland.

Of course other locations have had great weather and I'm happy for them - it's long overdue. Just a pity more of the country, including its most populated county, couldn't experience it :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another really annoying point about the past 5 days is the sky clears after dark like clockwork and the bank of cloud is back over us by dawn and stays all day. It's clear again outside and seen a few very faint flashes from those Irish Sea storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    another really annoying point about the past 5 days is the sky clears after dark like clockwork and the bank of cloud is back over us by dawn and stays all day. It's clear again outside and seen a few very faint flashes from those Irish Sea storms.

We have the opposite here, no clear sky at night this week at all, today was very sunny to

temperatures decent again tomorrow and on Friday, low to mid twenties, highest in the south-east. Getting cooler across the UK from the crazy temperatures they've had for the past 4 or 5 days, in some ways Ireland is getting slightly warmer as some of that warmer air drifts more over us.

fmiuk-41-29-0.png?12-20

fmiuk-41-51-0.png?12-20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

Just this very minute starting raining in East Clare...melting all day and evening...

just following on from my earlier post about the next 2 days of warmth. The models have definitely upgraded our warmth for tomorrow and Friday.

+14C to +16C uppers across the whole country tomorrow

Sun or cloudy you will feel that warmth tomorrow and combined with some instability in our south could be some fairly explosive showers.

GFSOPUK18_18_2.png

GFSOPUK18_21_5.png

GFS showing 23 to 25C across a large part of the country and the GFS usually undercooks the temperatures by several degrees in the summer so 27 or 28C is possible tomorrow if the sun behaves.

Slightly cooler on Friday but +14C uppers still at play across the country with temperatures possibly on the road to the mid to high twenties if we get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

I hope your right Gonzo but we need that sun!

I mean it hit low 20s today in Dublin but I personally felt warmer on Saturday because I was in sun all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭esposito

GFS showing 23 to 25C across a large part of the country and the GFS usually undercooks the temperatures by several degrees in the summer so 27 or 28C is possible tomorrow if the sun behaves.

Slightly cooler on Friday but +14C uppers still at play across the country with temperatures possibly on the road to the mid to high twenties if we get lucky.

The iPhone weather app is a joke. Has only 19 as the max for the next few days for my location.

Talk about a cool bias!

Actually one point worth making viz the inaccuracies in the Dublin forecast over the last 5 days is that, were the shoe on the other foot, I would be the first to say it was typical of met eireann, only care about accurately forecasting Dublins weather, blah, blah, blah. I will hopefully remember this and hold the tongue next time I feel like launching into such conspiracy theories!

I do think the east will do better than the south for the next few days btw....

separately still 20.6 in my garden at 12.30am. Looking at radar some beefy showers with lightning on the way to Waterford and likely here later too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It was 23 in Dublin today according to met eireann

Today yes but most days this week were hovering around 16-18C any time I checked temps. Not all that bad in itself but when the north, west and south have had blue skies and temps in the 20's it's only natural for people to be disappointed.

As for here this evening, a northerly breeze kicked in around 6pm with associated cloud and a significant drop in temperature. So a disappointing end to the day but lovely warm and sunny all afternoon, got plenty of outdoor jobs done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭OldRio

Beautiful day yesterday in Leitrim. The early cloud burnt back. Our second day of sun in August. Showers last night and this morning.
    Looking cloudy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

For those following the charts is there any way this atlantic system will continue to be pushed back for the end of next week or would you consider it nailed on? I know MTC has said it will take over towards the end of next week but of course that's when I am off on my staycation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dull morning in Sligo with the ground a bit wet. Normality resumed or a bit of a break in the clouds later on again?

Dull morning in Sligo with the ground a bit wet. Normality resumed or a bit of a break in the clouds later on again?

As per the other thread, you missed the mother and father of thunder storms back home last night. Heaviest rain I have ever seen. Cork Airport record 22.2m of rain from 2am to 3am - and it didn't really start raining til 2.30am! Half the county flooded this morning. Serious lightning though!

As per the other thread, you missed the mother and father of thunder storms back home last night. Heaviest rain I have ever seen. Cork Airport record 22.2m of rain from 2am to 3am - and it didn't really start raining til 2.30am! Half the county flooded this morning. Serious lightning though!

Always happens! Have missed about 3/4 good storms in cork even though they are rare because I've left the county (bar may 2018)!

Seeing all the videos online and it looked really heavy and the lightning looked great. At least there are videos to look at!

Looks like I just need to leave the county more and you'll all benefit :p

Always happens! Have missed about 3/4 good storms in cork even though they are rare because I've left the county (bar may 2018)!

Seeing all the videos online and it looked really heavy and the lightning looked great. At least there are videos to look at!

Looks like I just need to leave the county more and you'll all benefit :p

Weather.com thinks you'll be missing nothing else weather-wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

For those following the charts is there any way this atlantic system will continue to be pushed back for the end of next week or would you consider it nailed on? I know MTC has said it will take over towards the end of next week but of course that's when I am off on my staycation!

Well it was due to break down this weekend and never happened..here is hoping it keeps getting pushed out.

Pictures cropping up now of areas of west cork flooded, such as the road running under rosscarbery towards leap etc flooded (never saw that!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

just following on from my earlier post about the next 2 days of warmth. The models have definitely upgraded our warmth for tomorrow and Friday.

seems to a lot of cloud over the country this morning, we'd need it to break up in the afternoon to see those temps climb up into the mid to upper 20's, not sure that will happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement