Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cool night, 10pm:

Mount Dillon 7 degrees
    Gurteen 8 degrees
    Cork airport 8 degrees
    Johnstown Castle 9 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What part of the west? The corner of it I was in was overcast for most of the weekend. The differences between locations are mad.

No, this is quite normal. Hey at 36 you are still a spring chicken... At well over twice that age I am never now surprised at regional variations.

There was a morning when it was clear and fine out here and Oscar Bravo posted from Castlebar, less than 15 minutes away by helicopter that there was fog. Wondrous variations.

Wish folk would say where they are like they used to...

A cool morning here. No wind ; there is wind due later

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bright morning in NCD

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It was a privilege to see the first real sunrise in many a day - even though it totally blinded me .. Seeing it rise in gold rimmed splendour is always breathtaking . Much cooler and there was a fresh breeze. Oh and slight grass frost in the sheltered place it tends to gather.

It has turned, this weather of ours!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

Poor enough weekend here in Leitrim. Cool wind with showers on Saturday. Yesterday was cloudy all day.

Beautiful sunshine this morning with a feeling of coolness. Rather lovely to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Finally a nice sunny day in Letterkenny after a disappointing weekend. Cool breeze but good shelter in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sun came out a couple of times but for the most part been another dark day in D5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Forecast yesterday said rain in the morning in the west...it was dry and mostly sunny all day..rain only starting now in parts of the west...another useless met eireann forecast which was only less than a day away...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It was lovely in dublin today. We were at the zoo and had a picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Forecast yesterday said rain in the morning in the west...it was dry and mostly sunny all day..rain only starting now in parts of the west...another useless met eireann forecast which was only less than a day away...

The airflow was very slow today and a bit more Southeasterly which acted as a block to the incoming cloud. Most times slow moving fronts pass over slightly quicker and this is probably what Met Eireann had in mind. At least they got it wrong in a good way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Heading to Connemara on holidays next week. Any prediction's M.T.Cranium

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Up yer jaxie summer 2020, glad to see the back of ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Heading to Connemara on holidays next week. Any prediction's M.T.Cranium

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it'll be p*ssing rain every day, being Connemara and all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My overall thoughts for this summer, I'm going to keep it short and sweet as I've discussed it many times already. Bare in mind this is from my perspective here in Meath and may not reflect the weather at your location.

June:
    June started off with so much promise after a very sunny and settled Spring. However by the 2nd of June we were already lining up a cool motherly shot and a sign of more unsettled conditions. The month became progressively more unsettled and less in the way of sunshine. The last week of June was very unsettled and quite cool with plenty of rain. For me this was the best month of the summer.

June:
    Number of days over 20C = 5
    Highest Temperature = +25C
    Number of sunny days = 5
    Days with thunder = 1
    Rainfall = 76.9mm
    Overall: 4 /10

July:
    Pigs Ear.

Number of days over 20C = 2
    Highest Temperature = +23C
    Number of sunny days = 1
    Days with thunder = 0
    Rainfall = 130.9mm
    Overall: 0/10

August
    The pig keeled over.

Number of days over 20C = 4
    Highest Temperature = +24C
    Number of Sunny days = 2
    Days with thunder = 0
    Rainfall = 99.2mm
    Overall: 1/10

Summer 2020 total = 1/10

I'm being generous giving this summer 1/10. Delighted it's now over and done with and we can get on with Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm not sure whether I prefer June or August. June's nice days were better than the ones we had in August but I feel like August had more regular decent days. I think I'll say they were equally good (or bad I should say) but I feel like August had more dry days. Dunsany exceeding 20c on only eleven days is shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A poor summer in Castlebar, just over 500mm of rain and and that is after getting only 30mm from Ellen and Francis, we had a nice spell at the start of August and it was a slightly warmer month than last year.

June and July were a disaster, both months had double the rain of last year and both were cooler, with July being close to 2C cooler than 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    My overall thoughts for this summer, I'm going to keep it short and sweet as I've discussed it many times already. Bare in mind this is from my perspective here in Meath and may not reflect the weather at your location.

June:
    June started off with so much promise after a very sunny and settled Spring. However by the 2nd of June we were already lining up a cool motherly shot and a sign of more unsettled conditions. The month became progressively more unsettled and less in the way of sunshine. The last week of June was very unsettled and quite cool with plenty of rain. For me this was the best month of the summer.

June:
    Number of days over 20C = 5
    Highest Temperature = +25C
    Number of sunny days = 5
    Days with thunder = 1
    Rainfall = 76.9mm
    Overall: 4 /10

July:
    Pigs Ear.

Number of days over 20C = 2
    Highest Temperature = +23C
    Number of sunny days = 1
    Days with thunder = 0
    Rainfall = 130.9mm
    Overall: 0/10

August
    The pig keeled over.

Number of days over 20C = 4
    Highest Temperature = +24C
    Number of Sunny days = 2
    Days with thunder = 0
    Rainfall = 99.2mm
    Overall: 1/10

Summer 2020 total = 1/10

I'm being generous giving this summer 1/10. Delighted it's now over and done with and we can get on with Autumn.

Did you really only get 11 days in Meath over 20º for the whole summer? Are you sure?

By my records Dublin Aiport by the coast also had 20 days and PP had 31.

I'm not trying to say summer 2020 was good in the East by any means, as it wasn't IMO, but I think Dunsany would have been a bit warmer than you're making out? Remember according to Met E both June and August had above average temps for your location...

Statistically it wasn't an overly cold summer in the East by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

compsys wrote: »
    Did you really only get 11 days in Meath over 20º for the whole summer? Are you sure?

By my records DA by the coast had 20 days and PP had 31.

I'm not trying to say summer 2020 was good in the East by any means, as it wasn't IMO, but I think Dunsany would have been a bit warmer than you're making out? Remmeber according to Met E both June and August had above average temps for your location...

I'm guessing the reason why August was warmer than average was because of the mild overnight temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'm not trying to say summer 2020 was good in the East by any means, as it wasn't IMO, but I think Dunsany would have been a bit warmer than you're making out? Remember according to Met E both June and August had above average temps for your location...

No, he's right. There were two days in July where it got to 20.0, but only 2 more when it got to higher.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

When I say over 20C what I really mean is 21C and up which in old money is the magical 70F.

If I was to add in the number of days reaching 20C I could probably add on another 8 or 9 days to that total. July was colder than average while June and August were average for temperatures. August would have been a cooler than average month here in Meath if it wasn't for the fairly mild to warm nights, but the daytime temperatures did struggle a good bit with all the cloud and lack of sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Provisional sunshine stats I have for Dublin Apt:

June: 130.0 hrs - dullest since 1993 and 6th dullest on record
    July: 104.2 hrs - dullest since 1986 and 3rd dullest on record
    August: 97.2 hrs - possibly the dullest on record (Aug 2008 had 100.6 hrs)

Summer: 331.4 hrs - dullest on record. Previous dullest was 1978 with 371.5 hrs. 1981-2010 summer average is around 497 hrs for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

sryanbruen wrote: »

Summer: 331.4 hrs - dullest on record. Previous dullest was 1978 with 371.5 hrs. 1981-2010 summer average is around 497 hrs for comparison.

I'm not surprised one bit lived through every minute of that dull summer! I'm still not over that werk in Sugust when rest of country was sunning themselves + we woke up to day after day of cloud here in NCD!

Id say August might be average in terms of temperature + sunshine for rest of country but not Dublin.

Rainfall obviously high everywhere. I know we can get wet August but crap to have a really wet July + August.

Very sad to think those 3 days we had at beach on June Bank Holiday was best weather we got consecutively in Dublin all summer. I can still remember my husband asking why we were going to beach 3 days in row when we had all summer!

So long Summer 2020 I hope we never experience the like of it again!

appledrop wrote: »

Very sad to think those 3 days we had at beach on June Bank Holiday was best weather we got consecutively in Dublin all summer. I can still remember my husband asking why we were going to beach 3 days in row when we had all summer!

So long Summer 2020 I hope we never experience the like of it again!

We will always get poor summers as they are a fairly common feature in Ireland but I don't think we will see another summer as bad as this one for lack of sunshine and warm temperatures. This summer went spectacularly bad for Dublin and much of Meath and north-east Kildare. Summer started 1st of June and ended the next day. It was pretty much autumn all the way after that.

Even today was nicer, sunnier and warmer than most of the days during the fine spell in August. Summer 2021 can only be an improvement, it can't get much worse really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    We will always get poor summers as they are a fairly common feature in Ireland but I don't think we will see another summer as bad as this one for lack of sunshine and warm temperatures. This summer went spectacularly bad for Dublin and much of Meath and north-east Kildare. Summer started 1st of June and ended the next day. It was pretty much autumn all the way after that.

Even today was nicer, sunnier and warmer than most of the days during the fine spell in August. Summer 2021 can only be an improvement, it can't get much worse really.

You'd hope so but we've said this before only to have the next summer end up just as bad.

Lots of people saying this winter can't be as bad as last year's for cold, frost and snow...but it can and it probably will!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Broadly speaking, Summer 2020 finished with close to average temperatures (-0.2c) and higher than average rainfall totals (150%)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sryanbruen wrote: »

Absolute scutter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭obi604

East Galway. Just constant heavy rain since about 11pm last night. Still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain rain and more rain.
    Leitrim

Well its official, dullest August ever on record(78 years!) for Dublin airport. Also one of only stations to have below average temperature for August. Oh + it was wet + windy.

Oh + dullest July for 34 tears + 6th dullest June on record .

Oh + some people on here wondered why I gave out about weather so much this summer.

Well the data backs up my moaning!

• Advertisement

See you all over on Autumn thread.

Let's hope weather improves!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement