Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will they [The Government] tell us the truth about Covid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I always have to laugh at the response conspiracy theories get on boards. Such outrage. The response tends to follow this pattern:

1) Question the OPs mental state
    2) Dismiss everything as right wing so therefore not true
    3) Post an opposing link from clear left-wing news site and claim it as being the holy gospel
    4) Accuse the OP of being an anti-vaxxer or spreading misinformation that threatens the safety of the public or even causes people to carry out mass shootings

The conspiracy forum is plagued with these types, it always makes me laugh. I'm not saying the theories have any truth to them but the anger in response isn't justified for simply not having strong enough counter-arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I always have to laugh at the response conspiracy theories get on boards. Such outrage. The response tends to follow this pattern:

3) Post an opposing link from clear left-wing news site and claim it as being the holy gospel
    4) Accuse the OP of being an anti-vaxxer or spreading misinformation that threatens the safety of the public or even causes people to carry out mass shootings

The conspiracy forum is plagued with these types, it always makes me laugh. I'm not saying the theories have any truth to them but the anger in response isn't justified for simply not having strong enough counter-arguments.

you're right, people should just be left alone to post whatever lies they want without being questioned about them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

So was the spanish flu and look what that did, Just becasue it related to another virus does not mean its not more deadly

Holohan let it slip in mid April that this virus had peaked and retracted his statement the following day. The Aussie flu that came to Ireland two years ago was deadly, I know many that had it including myself but the whole country was shut down because of that!!

you're right, people should just be left alone to post whatever lies they want without being questioned about them at all.

Sorry I forgot to include your solid counter response to everything: "Nothing is true unless it has a peer reviewed research article"

I guess you can't question anything unless you have a pHD in the topic eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Don2012 wrote: »

Yehhh.. so all the studies there show that masks may work in tandem with social distancing and handwashing. Which is exactly the governments guidelines.
    One of the papers say that masks need to be even more protective, you need the N95 masks, not the crap disposable face coverings.

None of them say that mask wearing is worse than no mask.
    All call for better masks and more barriers between virus carriers and non-virus carriers, which again, is government policy.

You're calling for the end of masks and end of lockdown. NONE of the studies shows this to be good. You can't have it both ways. No mask = socially isolate.

That took me 5 minutes.
    A larger study is needed to definitively establish noninferiority of no mask use.
    While influenza virus could be detected by RT–PCR in all nine volunteers without a mask, no influenza virus could be detected on the Petri dish specimens when participants wore either type of face mask. A limitation was that the study did not consider the role of leakage around the sides of the mask

Physical barriers would be most effective in limiting shortdistance transmission by direct or indirect contact and large droplet spread, while more comprehensive precautions would be required to prevent infection at longer distances via airborne spread of small (nuclei) droplet particles [19].

The third study is comparing n95 masks and surgical masks and says they're the same. Not enough evidence to show a statistical significance.
    We found evidence to support universal medical mask use in hospital settings as part of infection control measures to reduce the risk of CRI and ILI among HCWs. Overall, N95 respirators may convey greater protection, but universal use throughout a work shift is likely to be less acceptable due to
    greater discomfort. Our analysis confirms the effectiveness of medical masks and respirators against SARS. Disposable, cotton, or paper masks are not recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Sorry I forgot to include your solid counter response to everything: "Nothing is true unless it has a peer reviewed research article"

I can post 10 video's here all containing blatant lies, from flat earth to lizard overlords, should I just assume you would take them as truth or would you (rightly) call me out on them?

You can question of course. But base your opinion on facts, not internet nonsense.
    Actually READ the papers, and understand them.

F8cking numpties talking about epidemiology like they're experts. I'm no expert, so I'm going to follow the guidance of those who are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

1) Yep I am afraid so
    2) Not just right wing in this case, complete pseudo-science also and absolute nonsense, No basis in fact or truth
    3) Nope, but happy to post independently peer-reviewed scientific research. No political agenda driving the conclusions.
    4) Nope, not in this case, just genuinely concerned that this guy losing sleep absorbing this muck.

LIES!!!?? Who said any of this is lies!! Just go back to sleep and do as your told, never think for yourself and wait for instructions from LV and MM and RTÉ on what do do next.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

Go to the part where it says "What do your results mean?"
    *If you test positive
    A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.*

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don’t know what conspiracy forum you’re referring to but your 4 steps theory doesn’t apply here.

• Advertisement

Sconsey wrote: »
    1) Yep I am afraid so
    2) Not just right wing in this case, complete pseudo-science also and absolute nonsense, No basis in fact or truth
    3) Nope, but happy to post independently peer-reviewed scientific research. No political agenda driving the conclusions.
    4) Nope, not in this case, just genuinely concerned that this guy losing sleep absorbing this muck.

Go to the part where it says, "What do your results mean?"
    If you test positive
    A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.

I can post 10 video's here all containing blatant lies, from flat earth to lizard overlords, should I just assume you would take them as truth or would you (rightly) call me out on them?

If I had the time I would question the idea presented in the videos and present a counter-argument rather than just dismissing them as not being from a peer reviewed article so therefore not true.

In Einstein's era, there were hundreds of well regarded scientists who presented counter-arguments to a lot of the dubious scientific methods he used but no company would publish the articles out of fear of falling out of favour with the public due to Einstein's celebrity status. Arguments don't need peer reveiwed articles to be arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Holohan let it slip in mid April that this virus had peaked and retracted his statement the following day. The Aussie flu that came to Ireland two years ago was deadly, I know many that had it including myself but the whole country was shut down because of that!!

It was not as deadly as this which is the whole point this is very deadly to a select part of socieity, my wife being one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Healthcare professionals wear masks when in contact with people who have a contiguous disease or illness, not around health people. Your point is ridiculous. Healthy people wearing masks weaken the immune system which come winter results in immune system not being about to do its job.

We only have to wear masks in shop's. Not in open air.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LIES!!!?? Who said any of this is lies!!

"Masks weaken the immune system"

LIES!!!?? Who said any of this is lies!! Just go back to sleep and do as your told, never think for yourself and wait for instructions from LV and MM and RTÉ on what do do next.

Go to the part where it says "What do your results mean?"
    *If you test positive
    A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.*

MM and LV and RTE don't think for themselves either. They follow medical advice.
    When I'm sick, I go to a doctor.
    When I need my hair cut, I go to a barber.
    When I need an extension built, I call a builder.
    When the toilet breaks, I call a plumber.

That's me being practical and replying on experts, not me being a sheep because I won't look at a few Youtube videos and have a crack at it myself.

Coronaviruses are from the same family as the common cold/flu. If you want to believe the WHO and politicans that's your choice, but don't expect those that can see this for what it is to comply.

What family is that?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You can question of course. But base your opinion on facts, not internet nonsense.
    Actually READ the papers, and understand them.

F8cking numpties talking about epidemiology like they're experts. I'm no expert, so I'm going to follow the guidance of those who are.

Check this out from the link I provided.
    "What do your results mean?
    If you test positive"
    *A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.*

Look, watch the daily briefing from RTE, live off every word they tell you but do some research for yourself too.

Go to the part where it says, "What do your results mean?"
    If you test positive
    A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.

What point are you making here? some people may have been exposed to similar strains of covid? I think the scientific community know that, I think it's the reason the Oxford vaccine got such a good head-start, they were already working on a similar strain to Covid 19.

What conclusion have you come to based on this?

eggy81 wrote: »
    We only have to wear masks in shop's. Not in open air.

The fact of it is, if we wore masks in shops etc all the time, rates of all communicable illnesses would drop.

People keep banging on about it all being for covid and "the flu will come back around in the winter".

Well, why don't we just keep wearing the masks so........

Plus, the " governments are tracking us all with facial recognition" conspiracies seem to have died off and now they're all saying the governments want us to wear masks for some other control.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    What family is that?

Did you read the document or are you just going to dismiss it??

I’ve read the quote it seems misleading. I was asking if you knew what family or we’re just repeating what you read from that brief.

Sconsey wrote: »
    What point are you making here? some people may have been exposed to similar strains of covid? I think the scientific community know that, I think it's the reason the Oxford vaccine got such a good head-start, they were already working on a similar strain to Covid 19.

What conclusion have you come to based on this?

It is common knowledge that almost every death has been marked as Covid, a few months back they inflated the numbers with no evidence to keep us under control. Of course if you trust them and that's an entirely different matter.

How come you went quiet on the doctor's in your video early on when the loopy stuff your one comes out with came up?

I wouldn't be taking medical advice from a doctor that believes spirits have sex with people in dreams and infect them.

Overheal wrote: »
    I’ve read the quote it seems misleading. I was asking if you knew what family or we’re just repeating what you read from that brief.

Read the document not the quote, how is it misleading when it from the official website???

It is common knowledge that almost every death has been marked as Covid, a few months back the infalled the numbers with no evidence to keep us under control. Of course if you trust them and that's an entirely different matter.

OK, good luck to you.

It is common knowledge that almost every death has been marked as Covid, .

Is it? Or is it " common knowledge " among people that want to believe that?

How many extra people are dead over the normal numbers? (Allowing for fewer other deaths like road deaths because people are not driving as much, but they should be easy to allow for)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It is common knowledge that almost every death has been marked as Covid, a few months back the infalled the numbers with no evidence to keep us under control. Of course if you trust them and that's an entirely different matter.

If it’s common knowledge it should be very easy for you to find a reputable source and link it here for us?

How come you went quiet on the doctor's in your video early on when the loopy stuff your one comes out with came up?

I wouldn't be taking medical advice from a doctor that believes spirits have sex with people in dreams and infect them.

I haven't went quiet, good obedient people who are not using the brains they've been given choose to put their total trust in a government who have proven to corrupt and dishonest but that's fine. Just keep listening to the box in the corner and not the thing in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Even if you look at average deaths over the first 6 months of the year rather than the figuers they are well up on last year

Advertisement