Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is our plan?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And I would suggest that you lack answers to practical issues.

Grand statements alone won't get you very far.

I agree but closed minded mediocrity won't get us too far either.

We have a big global problem to which we need a bigger solution and to bend the rules (which are just limiting beliefs in most cases).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Unfortunately it would be far easier to suppress this virus in a totalitarian state or dictatorship.

A complete elimination for an island nation would make the most sense considering or geographical advantage.

Thomas Ryan spoke about this today on Eamon Dunphys podcast the stand. A fascinating and insightful listen.

You still haven't explained how the follow-up to the lockdown would work. We could easily reduce current low numbers to zero but then what? This has been asked several times by several different people.

Your idea does not work in the same way that the policies Ireland has so far followed have not worked in terms of having a solution that can be sustained as long as needed until there is a vaccine.

I don't understand this attitude. It would get us to a much better place to see what is next. You could be living normally by Christmas with the option of travel or locked down in your own county with no end in sight unable to see family if there is a second wave on the current strategy.

If covid doesn't die off on its own this will be the approach other countries will have to take anyway. Get ahead of the curve, take the short term pain for long term gain.

Or do you enjoy the endless uncertainty of being half in half out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

ricero wrote: »
    A complete elimination for an island nation would make the most sense considering or geographical advantage.

Thomas Ryan spoke about this today on Eamon Dunphys podcast the stand. A fascinating and insightful listen.

Those ideas are fantastic in theory if you dont understand what the mechanics of Irelands GDP is generated by. FDI

If we take that approach, Ireland will wake up to become the Romania of western Europe.

For all the boloxoligy about health is related to wealth that gets spouted, its not the case, wealth delivers health.

In any case, the vulnerable group needed wealth to reach the age they have lived to.

If money didn't bring health, Sub Saharan Africa would be a wonderful place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

ricero wrote: »
    Unfortunately it would be far easier to suppress this virus in a totalitarian state or dictatorship.

And for the one millionth time... Then what?

And btw way we are not really an island nation. We are a 2 nation island.

One part of which is entirely reliant in every way on another country ( NI and UK)

The other part is highly integrated into the world's largest trading block

• Advertisement

Those ideas are fantastic in theory if you dont understand what the mechanics of Irelands GDP is generated by. FDI

If we take that approach, Ireland will wake up to become the Romania of western Europe.

For all the boloxoligy about health is related to wealth that gets spouted, its not the case, wealth delivers health.

In any case, the vulnerable group needed wealth to reach the age they have lived to.

If money didn't bring health, Sub Saharan Africa would be a wonderful place to live

1 to 3 months of sacrifice is the only ticket to firing up the economy.

Sort out public health to protect and encourage FDI.

i_surge wrote: »

What changes after 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Following on from the post above - for the one millionth and first time - what then???

Feria40 wrote: »
    What changes after 3 months?

I will answer in good faith but I think you are trolling. If all goes to plan, total release of the required lockdown and let people back to living their lives fully.

Party in the streets
    Dancing at the cross roads

I will answer in good faith but I think you are trolling. If all goes to plan, total release of the required lockdown and let people back to living their lives fully.

Party in the streets
    Dancing at the cross roads

I am far from trolling.

Partying in the streets with the economy in ruins, for sure that's how it would play out.

Edit. I had to pop back in to this post to say that your naivity is mind boggling.

• Advertisement

I am far from trolling.

Partying in the streets with the economy in ruins, for sure that's how it would play out

What is your solution? Happy with the status quo?

I am far from trolling.

Partying in the streets with the economy in ruins, for sure that's how it would play out.

Edit. I had to pop back in to this post so say that your naivity is mind boggling.

It is a semi childish intolerance to some people's barriers of perception and pessimism sure. Not naive, just a different take to the abject mediocrity of the current plan.

All talk anyway, none of us here are in control.

Not happy at all. I think we need to protect the vulnerable, who by the way also need to protect themselves unfortunately.

We need to get real on our enforcement in social distancing rules.

My full manifesto is on page 4 of this thread... You actually gave me a thumps up/thanks :pac:

My bottom line was that we need to get on with life and live with this disease. If you fall into a vulnerable category you need to protect yourself as best you can

Have you a solution, like an actual practical one that goes beyond 3 months stiff lockdown and then PARTY :rolleyes:

For the millionth and second time, what happens after the 3 months? Why won't you answer the question?

It is a semi childish intolerance to some people's barriers of perception and pessimism sure. Not naive, just a different take to the abject mediocrity of the current plan.

All talk anyway, none of us here are in control.

So you are on a wind-up then.

Thanks for at least admitting it!

Have you a solution, like an actual practical one that goes beyond 3 months stiff lockdown and then PARTY :rolleyes:

For the millionth and second time, what happens after the 3 months? Why won't you answer the question?

I did answer the question. Push to get to a New Zealand quality of life, see what is next. It would put us in a better position. Control borders as best you can, play whack a mole with any cases that do occur which would be much less probable than currently.

I can't predict the future but I can tell what is a recipe for failure that banks too heavily having a lot of good luck.

So you are on a wind-up then.

Thanks for at least admitting it!

No I'm serious in my childish intolerance to imagined obstacles to trying.

I did answer the question. Push to get to a New Zealand quality of life, see what is next. It would put us in a better position. Control borders as best you can, play whack a mole with any cases that do occur which would be much less probable than currently.

I can't predict the future but I can tell what is a recipe for failure that banks too heavily having a lot of good luck.

But apart from having a similar population level and to a lesser extent similar weather we had very little in common with NZ before covid19.

All this debate is healthy and good but I still think people are ignoring the north/south, NI/ENG, IRL/ENG and IRL/EU part of the equation that makes us so so different to NZ

But apart from having a similar population level and to a lesser extent similar weather we had very little in common with NZ before covid19.

All this debate is healthy and good but I still think people are ignoring the north/south, NI/ENG, IRL/ENG and IRL/EU part of the equation that makes us so so different to NZ

And my inner child says **** that, sort it out. Ends justify the means.

Best solution is an aligned approach with NI.

And my inner child says **** that, sort it out. Ends justify the means.

Best solution is an aligned approach with NI.

Which won't happen due to the billions the English throw at NI every single year in order to keep it afloat.

If and big if we could align our interests it would be for no more than a few weeks before borders pened up again.

And with all due respect the ends would not justify the means

Especially for the hundreds of thousands of people who are reliant on the hospitality/tourism industry in some shape or form in order to make ends meet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

And my inner child says ****.

Is that who's posting on your account all evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

hmmm wrote: »
    The government can't do everything here. If people don't want to follow social distancing, throw house parties etc. there isn't much we can do.
    However whatever plan is put into place, in order to be realistic, must take into account that workarounds will be found by people. Otherwise it is no better than the suggestion to hermetically seal the country until the virus burns out or a vaccine is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

However whatever plan is put into place, in order to be realistic, must take into account that workarounds will be found by people.
    How could a plan possibly cope with people ignoring public health advice?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Think further ahead. This all started in Ireland with one case. After 3 months we have no cases..then the borders are opened again(I'm not really sure how they've been closed but I'll humour you for now) and one asymptomatic case starts the whole thing off again. Do you we do another 3 months of your plan or do we just keep it going indefinitely until the population of Ireland is vaccinated?

aido79 wrote: »
    Think further ahead. This all started in Ireland with one case. After 3 months we have no cases..then the borders are opened again(I'm not really sure how they've been closed but I'll humour you for now) and one asymptomatic case starts the whole thing off again. Do you we do another 3 months of your plan or do we just keep it going indefinitely until the population of Ireland is vaccinated?

He's been asked this umpteen times.

He doesn't do further ahead. Or practicalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lockdown 2 will be a disaster

Its pretty scary tbh what could happen in terms of mental health

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Lockdown 2 will be a disaster

Its pretty scary tbh what could happen in terms of mental health

For some people. Other people will ignore Lockdown 2 and get on with their lives as per WHO recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I don't know. Lockdown and restrictions in summer, it's like okay we can chill outside and enjoy the fresh air and whatever sunshine we get. Winter will be so gloomy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I don't know. Lockdown and restrictions in summer, it's like okay we can chill outside and enjoy the fresh air and whatever sunshine we get. Winter will be so gloomy.

People frequently commented that the first lockdown would've been even more torturous if the weather had been bad. You're 100% right on that.

Advertisement