Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Eod100 wrote: »

That was probably as much about them avoiding paying the fare.
    Philippe Monguillo Attacked By a Gang of Fare-dodgers in Bayonne
    July 7, 2020

The French bus driver was named 58-year-old Philippe Monguillot after an attack by passengers who refused to wear face masks – said his wife ‘lives in the nightmare’.

Mr. Monguillot, a father of three, drifted from the driver’s seat and was brutally beaten by the gang of mouse-smugglers while trying to enforce the rules of coronavirus on the bus in Bayonne.

The five-gang gang, identified by prosecutors as ‘more or less’ drug users, faces criminal charges, but has not yet been released to the public.

58-year-old Philippe Monguillot faced passengers who did not comply with a rule that requires face masks in public transport while boarding without tickets until 19:00. On Sunday...

Ms. Monguillot said the gang of five was known to her husband and had a discussion about unpaid wages earlier in the day.
    https://wikitrusted.com/philippe-monguillo-attacked-by-a-gang/

Latest testing data

Tests conducted last 24 hours 9329

Positive test results last 24 hours 21

Much better today.

There must be a lot of other doses going round if that many are getting tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

spookwoman wrote: »
    Few posters on here that joined a few months back seem to just stir the sh*t. Probably count them on 1 hand and its the same every day they contribute nothing except you are wrong etc, show me where, what numbers, blah blah blah.

Your comment contributes what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Can you name who these people are rather than referring to this mystery cult

I wouldn’t worry, maybe not in 2020 but the “ positivity posse” will get the last say in the end ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's simple enough Maths and we can see if there's a trend here

17 cases now versus 9 then is nearly double

So if we're doing double the amount of tests we were back at the end of June then it more of less balances out. I know there's other variables at play but broadly speaking that should make sense

Anyone got the data of testing back at the end of June and is it more or less half the amount we're testing now?

So before the testing of nursing homes etc kicked off again, on June 26th so 2 weeks ago we took roughly 3,000 swabs that day, on the 26th we had 3 deaths and 11 cases.

In the last 24hrs,
    Tests conducted last 24 hours = 9329
    Positive test results last 24 hours = 21

An additional 10 cases for an over an additional 6,000 tests. We've increased testing and finding roughly an additional 10 cases per day from when we were doing a third of the tests we are now.

More you test more you find, can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

high numbers of tests is a very good thing, even if the rates of positives is tiny. If that keeps up, any clusters will be quickly identified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I doubt that crucial piece of information will be in the Irish media narrative, they will simply state there has been a "surge" in Spain

Europe has largely opened up, it would be expected that cases will rise. the alternative was keeping locked down forever which could not happen.

I as much as the next person would love if it were possible for us or any European country to lock down a la New Zealand and really eradicate this thing. The problem is al you have to take is one look at an atlas to realise that that cannot be done. Cautious re-opening where by people are vigilant and measures are enshrined in law (Such as the wearing of masks or the way in which pubs are allowed operate) is the way forward.

Even when you take out the antibody figures there is a substantial rise. 241 cases yesterday to 333 today, almost a third increase.

It's only over a few days to a week but a trend nonetheless, like Portugal. Good figures from Germany.

There's no denying there are notable rises in many countries. Of course they will happen as society opens up. But they need to be watched and travel to and from areas with rising cases dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Sensible post.

I would dispute your assertion that it is a sensible post. All it is, is nonsensical absolutes.

For example the ridiculous assertion that we can't do what New Zealand are doing is obvious because they are further away from everywhere else is patent nonsense, of course we could easily do it if we had the political will to do it, we just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Cases are going to rise. People need to understand this. Of course they are going to rise when restrictions are lifted and things open back up. We just need to hope that what they rise to is a low enough number and it stays hovering around that. Similar to how a lot of places in Europe have been for many weeks now.

If we start seeing big jumps week to week. Then maybe it's time to start worrying and looking at where they are coming from. And getting tougher with more targeted measures. But for now, it's pointless panicking for something that that was expected. The hospitals are virtually empty of Covid. And if more young people are getting it now, they may not require hospitalization as much as the older demographic back when it first started. Also just need a majority of people having a bit of cop on and doing their best to keep themselves and others safe.

One thing that needs to happen though is stopping tourists coming here on flights from countries where it's rampant. The wife has family over here from Flagstaff which is in a state full of Covid. Her cousin, the husband, 2 kids and 3 adults from their extended family. The wife showed me one of their Facebook things and she has anto mask videos up. And of course they're down in Glendaloch today having arrived on Wednesday and Guinness store house tomorrow. No self isolating at all. Can't be having that ****e. If the risk of someone catching it in their own country is much higher than here. Then they shouldn't be here now.

Any healthcare worker gets regularly tested. I was talking to a maintenance man that works in a nursing home, also a nursing home worker, they now have to be tested every week.

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    high numbers of tests is a very good thing, even if the rates of positives is tiny. If that keeps up, any clusters will be quickly identified

Not necessarily, high numbers of tests on their own won't do it if they are not sensibly targeted of if people with mild symptoms don't come forward for testing.

Look how far those meat factories went before being picked up and that was at a much higher level of lock down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I would dispute your assertion that it is a sensible post. All it is, is nonsensical absolutes.

For example the ridiculous assertion that we can't do what New Zealand are doing is obvious because they are further away from everywhere else is patent nonsense, of course we could easily do it if we had the political will to do it, we just don't.

Your post and position falls apart when you factor in we are not one island nation , we are also part of a wider Union of countries.
    Dispute all you wish, unfortunately though disputing facts is quite tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Any healthcare worker gets regularly tested. I was talking to a maintenance man that works in a nursing home, also a nursing home worker, they now have to be tested every week.

Not all....I’m a healthcare worker working “on the frontline “ since this kicked off and have never been tested...

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Not all....I’m a healthcare worker working “on the frontline “ since this kicked off and have never been tested...

The ones i have spoken too have, and hse workers i have been talking to aswell.

Something seriously wrong if you’re not being tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

The ones i have spoken too have, and hse workers i have been talking to aswell.

Something seriously wrong if you’re not being tested.

Nope,not the policy locally...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Cases are going to rise. People need to understand this. Of course they are going to rise when restrictions are lifted and things open back up. We just need to hope that what they rise to is a low enough number and it stays hovering around that. Similar to how a lot of places in Europe have been for many weeks now.

If we start seeing big jumps week to week. Then maybe it's time to start worrying and looking at where they are coming from. And getting tougher with more targeted measures. But for now, it's pointless panicking for something that that was expected. The hospitals are virtually empty of Covid. And if more young people are getting it now, they may not require hospitalization as much as the older demographic back when it first started. Also just need a majority of people having a bit of cop on and doing their best to keep themselves and others safe.

One thing that needs to happen though is stopping tourists coming here on flights from countries where it's rampant. The wife has family over here from Flagstaff which is in a state full of Covid. Her cousin, the husband, 2 kids and 3 adults from their extended family. The wife showed me one of their Facebook things and she has anto mask videos up. And of course they're down in Glendaloch today having arrived on Wednesday and Guinness store house tomorrow. No self isolating at all. Can't be having that ****e. If the risk of someone catching it in their own country is much higher than here. Then they shouldn't be here now.

I agree, American passport holders should not be allowed into the country at the current time. However, the time to do that was weeks or months ago and I suspect the government would be very slow to do this now. Not just because of the the high level of American investment in this country but also because it would be highly conspicuous at this point.

Thats before you consider the fact that they can just come in through Belfast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Your post and position falls apart when you factor in we are not one island nation , we are also part of a wider Union of countries.
    Actually this thread refers to Ireland/ NI deaths and cases.

When it suits

I wouldn’t worry, maybe not in 2020 but the “ positivity posse” will get the last say in the end ;-)

Unless of course you are dead. But, I guess you won't give a **** about it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not necessarily, high numbers of tests on their own won't do it if they are not sensibly targeted of if people with mild symptoms don't come forward for testing.

Look how far those meat factories went before being picked up and that was at a much higher level of lock down.

The more testing the better but we also have a problem where people are not getting tested when contacted by hse on contact tracing.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0706/1151751-ireland-contact-tracing-app/

Unless of course you are dead. But, I guess you won't give a **** about it then.

I’m laughing at the hysteria in that post.

I better get my affairs and will in order, have you? Better hurry up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-second-wave-of-covid-hits-israel-like-a-tsunami?via=twitter_page

How Israel went from 'golden child' of COVID19 management to shutdowns again.

“Israel is heading to a dangerous place,” she wrote in an 8,000-word indictment of the government’s failure to prepare in any way for a resurgence of illness.

“Despite systematic and repeated warnings through various channels, and discussions in several forums, we are watching with frustration as the hourglass of opportunities runs low,” she warned.

“I have come to the conclusion that in the newly created conditions under which my professional opinion is not accepted—I can no longer help to effectively cope with the spread of the virus.”

All this may sound familiar to Americans in the many states where the virus infections are now spiking. But … it gets worse.

During the six wasted weeks, the period singled out by Sadetzki, schools were chaotically reopened and then, as infections soared, re-shuttered. Parents were unable to foresee re-entering the workforce. The public was instructed to wear masks—but no system of enforcement was put into place. The lists of permitted and prohibited activities shifted daily, with little or no explanation. While Netanyahu actively pursued his (since scuttled) dream of annexing significant parts of the occupied West Bank, the number of people diagnosed with COVID-19 multiplied by 499 percent.

Ashdod, a city on the Mediterranean coast, emerged as a top locus of infection, but no Israeli official could explain why the breezy, fun beach town, where citizens live outdoors during the summer, gained almost 700 COVID-19 patients during the month of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But but but but they signed a pinky promise paper.

Dispute all you wish, unfortunately though disputing facts is quite tough.

How do you know what I wish?

The regulations for transport as their written, transport unions say they wont be enforcing it. NTA saying drivers or inspectors can call Gardai. Luas and Dart going to be an issue there and Gardai won't spend their day running around after buses or trains.

Anyway

"If then the person fails to cooperate with gardaí, they can face arrest and prosecution, which could lead to a €2,500 fine and/or 6 months in prison.

Children under the age of 13 will also be exempt from wearing face coverings on public transport, as per the HSE guidelines.

People with trouble breathing, people who cannot remove a face covering without help and people with special needs and who may feel upset or uncomfortable wearing a face covering will also not have to wear them on public transport."

spookwoman wrote: »
    The more testing the better but we also have a problem where people are not getting tested when contacted by hse on contact tracing.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0706/1151751-ireland-contact-tracing-app/

Only up to a point, testing costs money. Resources have to be sensiblely used.

I’m laughing at the hysteria in that post.

I better get my affairs and will in order, have you? Better hurry up.

What hysteria, I was replying to a silly post, with a silly counter point. I guess you must be part of the possie the citizen was asking about.

I thought you were joking, with the smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The regulations for transport as their written, transport unions say they wont be enforcing it. NTA saying drivers or inspectors can call Gardai. Luas and Dart going to be an issue there and Gardai won't spend their day running around after buses or trains.

Think this is one of many reasons why we need dedicated transport Gardai

What hysteria, I was replying to a silly post, with a silly counter point. I guess you must be part of the possie the citizen was asking about

No it wasn’t a silly post it’s fact pandemics come and go, . The word “go” is key. I have seen other hysteria posts from you in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I just made the connection,.. What does " hello " mean,.. !!!!!
    Didn't see it at all !!!.

Anyway, can you point me, to where the figures are county based ??

Thanks

Jay

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think this is one of many reasons why we need dedicated transport Gardai

Yup agree. Should have been done years ago. Been on many buses where its had stones thrown and windows broken, driver asks control for Gardai and 30 mins later still sitting there. They'll send a car when one comes free

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement