Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

RTE bigging up the second wave massively tonight.

On that note I'm off out to the pub for some normaility.
    Might see if theres any house parties on, may as well fit in with the narrative being portrayed of my age grouping

Ah sure us young wans all we do is drink and fornicate and spread the virus. Even though the only people I've seen not sanitizing their hands going into shops and coughing into their hands on the bus are old folks. But I guess rte don't want to piss off the last demographic that gives a **** about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Spain. Wednesday 383 new cases. Thursday 543, today Friday 852.

There are worrying signs in countries we have people traveling to.

Thats some positivity there.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'd say she might have better contacts than Fauci, or at least as good, wouldn't you?

Check her Wiki page, I find it hard to see in what way she has demonstrated a capacity for stupidity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Clark

I mean her choice of words was stupid although I probably spoke too harshly. It is dramatic though.

But she has completely ignored the Oxford vaccine who have been consistent in their updates all through late spring and summer. Also Pfizer have had a breakthrough and could get approved by regulators in late 2020.

I don't think it's 2 and a half years away minimum going by what literally everyone else has said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Renjit wrote: »
    Thats some positivity there.

What exactly do you want, lies? I'm in great form...

Some think because you're posting anything that isn't happy, clappy you must be depressed or negative! I've only recently joined the forum but there's some acting like children who need a reassuring hug, or someone to read them a bedtime story.

There's both positives and negatives with this virus. If you bothered to read anymore of my recent posts you'll see the positives re. countries doing well.

Here's your special figures.. USA 60,000 cases Wednesday, 60,000 cases Thursday, 5,000 today. Figures courtesy of Donald Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Transport unions on RTE saying they're members will not enforce masks

Well is it not to protect drivers and staff also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What, what?

Bus drivers are getting unions involved over masks? And, at last count, 5 bus drivers have died in London alone?

Between this and the airports this country is entering the Comedy level of Covid

We started weak, then adjusted pretty well, and now it's going to shíte again

But it’s not in a bus drivers job description so why should they have to deal with it.
    The only way it can work is if someone tries to get on the driver can say no. If the person still tries to get on call the guards and stop the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Is anyone really surprised that RTE seem to pushing the second wave narrative?

This is the same RTE that thinks having a weekly misery section on the Late Late constitutes prime Friday night television, with the rest of the show padded out with the usual canteen roulette.

They only love to cover the odd funeral as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think your tone is very aggressive as is the language used and I'm somewhat amused at the necessity for it. Disagreement is good life would be boring otherwise. It's a discussion forum nothing is achieved by being aggressive with others only the use of the ignore function.

Where was my tone aggressive to you ?
    You seem to want people to leave the forum as far as I can see because you don't like disagreement or discussion .
    I disagree with you, if you can't accept that , leave it/ ignore it , but don't accuse people of being aggressive when they are not .

What exactly do you want, lies? I'm in great form...

Some think because you're posting anything that isn't happy, clappy you must be depressed or negative! I've only recently joined the forum but there's some acting like children who need a reassuring hug, or someone to read them a bedtime story.

There's both positives and negatives with this virus. If you bothered to read anymore of my recent posts you'll see the positives re. countries doing well.

Here's your special figures.. USA 60,000 cases Wednesday, 60,000 cases Thursday, 5,000 today. Figures courtesy of Donald Trump.

You get used to the positivity brigade on here. Just ignore them when they give out about your posts but make sure you keep posting the facts.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You seem to want people to leave the forum as far as I can see because you don't like disagreement or discussion .
    I disagree with you, if you can't accept that , leave it/ ignore it , but don't accuse people of being aggressive when they are not .

The poster you are replying to should take a leaf out of his own book tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

tom1ie wrote: »
    You get used to the positivity brigade on here. Just ignore them when they give out about your posts but make sure you keep posting the facts.

Good advice, i’d hope positive facts were something you’d like seeing posted too, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Just not facts without 'context' ;)

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Good advice, i’d hope positive facts were something you’d like seeing posted too, right?

Of course. As I’ve said before I’m a middle of the road man who likes to see both sides of an argument. Facts is what’s needed on this thread which is why I find it strange The positivity posse can have such a reaction to them.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Just not facts without 'context' ;)

Ha! Careful now. You’ll cause a row!
    The context is what one makes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

This is the same RTE that thinks having a weekly misery section on the Late Late constitutes prime Friday night television, with the rest of the show padded out with the usual canteen roulette.

I always said they should have a black ribbon as their TV logo. Horrible channel! full of repeats and about 50 different chat shows with the same in house guests. A TV license for that sh1te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The seven day average is at 17 cases a day now compared to 9 a day at the end of June. Phase 3 has brought an increase but how much when you consider testing has ramped up in recent weeks.

That's simple enough Maths and we can see if there's a trend here

17 cases now versus 9 then is nearly double

So if we're doing double the amount of tests we were back at the end of June then it more of less balances out. I know there's other variables at play but broadly speaking that should make sense

Anyone got the data of testing back at the end of June and is it more or less half the amount we're testing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,925 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

nocoverart wrote: »
    I always said they should have a black ribbon as their TV logo. Horrible channel! full of repeats and about 50 different chat shows with the same in house guests. A TV license for that sh1te!

I pay the TV license but haven't consumed anything from RTE in a decade, due to them picking a flag in the digital coding stream that prevents my TV from decoding their signals. Probably that is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well a train driver can't be standing stopping passengers getting on a train in fairness. But a bus driver has the ability to police it given you can't get on a bus wihout passing a driver.

Should have people in train and DART stations enforcing it then but probably don't have enough staff

They could send George Lee over to cheer up the mourners.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

road_high wrote: »
    Rte have been having nightly Orgasms at the prospect

If Caitriona needs to get them from elsewhere to stop the panic I will volunteer my services. For the good of the country, like, I'll wear the green jersey. I'll do it for all of ye here lads. No worries. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

RTE bigging up the second wave massively tonight.

On that note I'm off out to the pub for some normality.
    Might see if theres any house parties on, may as well fit in with the narrative being portrayed of my age grouping

I always pictured you as in your early 40s, working in a Medical profession and wearing designer glasses

Enjoy the pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,640 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fm wrote: »
    Wednesday was 257,Thursday was 241 and today 333,
    Cases are increasing yes, surging is a bit dramatic.

But still increasing and lockdown back in some parts for Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Eod100 wrote: »
    Should have people in train and DART stations enforcing it then but probably don't have enough staff

That said a bus driver who enforced it in France died after being assaulted. Shocking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/10/philippe-monguillot-french-bus-driver-dies-following-attack-passengers-refused-wear-masks?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1594406679

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Of course. As I’ve said before I’m a middle of the road man who likes to see both sides of an argument. Facts is what’s needed on this thread which is why I find it strange The positivity posse can have such a reaction to them.

Can you name who these people are rather than referring to this mystery cult

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think we need a good hard lock down now. Open everything back on the 1st of Sept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

alentejo wrote: »
    I think we need a good hard lock down now. Open everything back on the 1st of Sept

Surprised NPHET haven't looked for you to join them the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Goldengirl wrote: »

Few posters on here that joined a few months back seem to just stir the sh*t. Probably count them on 1 hand and its the same every day they contribute nothing except you are wrong etc, show me where, what numbers, blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,925 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I mean her choice of words was stupid although I probably spoke too harshly. It is dramatic though.

But she has completely ignored the Oxford vaccine who have been consistent in their updates all through late spring and summer. Also Pfizer have had a breakthrough and could get approved by regulators in late 2020.

I don't think it's 2 and a half years away minimum going by what literally everyone else has said.

If you believe anything said about such things as treatments or vaccines where a US corporation has involvement or potential financial interest that comes out of the US, then I think you are naive. It's all about the share price money. US pharmaceutical companies will unethically leak positive seeming data from ongoing drug trials to boost their share price, with regularity, long before there has been a valid conclusion to the trials or overall assessment, Remdesivir being a case in point.
    Gilead Sciences’ remdesivir has been heralded as our best hope in fighting the coronavirus pandemic. Unfortunately, the antiviral drug doesn’t seem of much help to patients with Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. And while the company’s clever rollout has generated excitement among investors, politicians, and the public, a combination of generic drugs that appears to be more effective in fighting the coronavirus has flown under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

fm wrote: »
    Spain. Wednesday 383 new cases. Thursday 543, today Friday 852.

There are worrying signs in countries we have people traveling to.

They include antibodies testing, only 333 cases reported yoday

I doubt that crucial piece of information will be in the Irish media narrative, they will simply state there has been a "surge" in Spain

Europe has largely opened up, it would be expected that cases will rise. the alternative was keeping locked down forever which could not happen.

I as much as the next person would love if it were possible for us or any European country to lock down a la New Zealand and really eradicate this thing. The problem is al you have to take is one look at an atlas to realise that that cannot be done. Cautious re-opening where by people are vigilant and measures are enshrined in law (Such as the wearing of masks or the way in which pubs are allowed operate) is the way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I doubt that crucial piece of information will be in the Irish media narrative, they will simply state there has been a "surge" in Spain

Europe has largely opened up, it would be expected that cases will rise. the alternative was keeping locked down forever which could not happen.

I as much as the next person would love if it were possible for us or any European country to lock down a la New Zealand and really eradicate this thing. The problem is al you have to take is one look at an atlas to realise that that cannot be done. Cautious re-opening where by people are vigilant and measures are enshrined in law (Such as the wearing of masks or the way in which pubs are allowed operate) is the way forward.

Sensible post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement