Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The seven day average is at 17 cases a day now compared to 9 a day at the end of June. Phase 3 has brought an increase but how much when you consider testing has ramped up in recent weeks.

We won't be seeing the effects of phase 3 fully yet. This weekend and the start of next week will show it completely with the 14 day incubation.
    But we're doing more tests now than we were 3 weeks ago when we were doing about 2k and finding 10 or so cases, over 9k tests processed daily at the moment and cases in the 20s.

Positivity rate not showing any increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Please post this everywhere in block capitals. This is amazing there are countries that would kill for these numbers.

It's great but you can't get carried away. It can take off very quickly.

I wouldn't be one to get too excited. There's just too many cases globally. It only takes a few mishaps and you're chasing your tail again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And hospitals are virtually empty of COVID cases, so we are in a much better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭fm

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It is surging back up everywhere, no where safe

Wednesday was 257,Thursday was 241 and today 333,
    Cases are increasing yes, surging is a bit dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

is_that_so wrote: »
    And hospitals are virtually empty of COVID cases, so we are in a much better place.
    you could argue this is the most important thing

• Advertisement

If you look at the county data it looks like one large cluster in Dublin and two smaller ones in Waterford and Kildare and the rest seem okay

Cases higher than last few weeks but the fact that clusters are being traced and got on top of is a positive. System is working and will be key going forward as clusters appear, the 16 in sligo and the 9 mentioned yesterday being an example.

Would assume the cluster of 9 relates to dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Who's talking years?

Have a little faith in science. They will figure it out vaccine/treatment.

I'm all for science, but faith is for the gullible.

Helen Clarke, former PM of New Zealand:
    While the inquiry could take more than a year, Ms Clark said its findings would not only help counter the next coronavirus but also deal with COVID-19 because the current pandemic could last for years.

"I'm told from Geneva that the most optimistic scenario for a widely available vaccine would be at least two and a half years," she said in an interview on Friday.

"And even then we don’t know how efficacious it would be – it may not stop us getting it, it may simply mitigate the impact of getting it.

"In the end, a disease like this, like a plague of ancient times, will keep going as long as hosts present themselves for it, so we have to cut the transmission cycle."
    https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/virus-inquiry-chief-helen-clark-warns-of-long-wait-for-vaccine-20200710-p55b0e.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

It's great but you can't get carried away. It can take off very quickly.

I wouldn't be one to get too excited. There's just too many cases globally. It only takes a few mishaps and you're chasing your tail again.

Oh I agree fully I'm not suggesting we get complacent but people are acting as if things will go from 0-60 back to March -April lockdown, ridiculous stuff. We have measures and infrastructure in place now along with more knowledge than before. We'll only go into nationwide lockdown if **** REALLY hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

is_that_so wrote: »

This is vitally important and has not changed

I have complete trust in our track and trace system to contain these clusters tbh. Was contained in Sligo and also in the meat plants. We are ready for this.

The app is a bit finicky though. Impressive download figures but it's a bit like gym numbers in January. Will many log on in a fortnight. It won't prevent the spread of the disease like the tried and trusted social distancing, hand washing and the big priority, sorting out travel and quarantine.

It's a big statement to say we're ready for this. We are mostly but it's the careless few who can do a lot of damage. Will foreign travel be our Cheltenham this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't think there is any way to open up society and the economy and not get more cases. It's unrealistic to expect cases to continue falling as people move around more.

The key is keeping the numbers low and not growing exponentially which is where tracking and tracing has to keep on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'm all for science, but faith is for the gullible.

Hellen Clarke, former PM of New Zealand:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/virus-inquiry-chief-helen-clark-warns-of-long-wait-for-vaccine-20200710-p55b0e.html

But Dr fauci and several others have said we can expect one by late this year-early next year. Some of the language she uses 'plague of the ancient times ' is utterly stupid as well.

The app is a bit finicky though. Impressive download figures but it's a bit like gym numbers in January. Will many log on in a fortnight. It won't prevent the spread of the disease like the tried and trusted social distancing, hand washing and the big priority, sorting out travel and quarantine.

It's a big statement to say we're ready for this. We are mostly but it's the careless few who can do a lot of damage. Will foreign travel be our Cheltenham this time round.
    The app is virtually useless for a week or two until people start interacting. I'm on about our public health tracking teams who have done a fantastic job all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone know the latest active cases number?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have complete trust in our track and trace system to contain these clusters tbh. Was contained in Sligo and also in the meat plants. We are ready for this.
    Im not sure if you're taking the piss with the tone of your posts today but if you're serious you need to relax.

I hope your right, yes break time relax for me

Transport unions on RTE saying they're members will not enforce masks

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It is surging back up everywhere, no where safe

Of course it is. The idea of eliminating the virus is naive and why I said some time ago that we would all become Sweden because the virus can outlast our ability to suffer the economic and financial consequences of lockdowns and travel isolationism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone know the latest active cases number?

481 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stephenjmcd View Post
    Perfectly suited for here. Yup it lags about 2 days behind but yeah there does be a number given on cases per county. Comes out of HPSC data.

Citizen erased usually puts it up most evenings, he's on the ball when it comes to the stats.

How do I locate this person / site

Thanks

Jay

The app is virtually useless for a week or two until people start interacting. I'm on about our public health tracking teams who have done a fantastic job all along.

They are. But I was chatting to 2 people tracing and there's still reluctance with some people with regards to disclosing contacts. This would be rural to small towns in the south east. Hopefully it's not as bad in bigger urban areas as it's silly and dangerous.

• Advertisement

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stephenjmcd View Post
    Perfectly suited for here. Yup it lags about 2 days behind but yeah there does be a number given on cases per county. Comes out of HPSC data.

Citizen erased usually puts it up most evenings, he's on the ball when it comes to the stats
    How do I locate this person / site

Thanks

Jay
    hello

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Transport unions on RTE saying they're members will not enforce masks

yet weren't Dublin bus drivers saying a good few weeks ago they wish passengers would wear masks ? Why the change in tone now ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    yet weren't Dublin bus drivers saying a good few weeks ago they wish passengers would wear masks ? Why the change in tone now ?

Yup they've said they welcome it but won't be policing it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    They are like farmers, never happy!

RTE bigging up the second wave massively tonight.

On that note I'm off out to the pub for some normaility.
    Might see if theres any house parties on, may as well fit in with the narrative being portrayed of my age grouping

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yup they've said they welcome it but won't be policing it

Well a train driver can't be standing stopping passengers getting on a train in fairness. But a bus driver has the ability to police it given you can't get on a bus wihout passing a driver.

But Dr fauci and several others have said we can expect one by late this year-early next year. Some of the language she uses 'plague of the ancient times ' is utterly stupid as well.

I'd say she might have better contacts than Fauci, or at least as good, wouldn't you?
    On 9 July 2020 the World Health Organisation (WHO) appointed Clark as co-chair of a panel reviewing the WHO's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic and the response of governments to the outbreak. The panel will examine how the outbreak occurred and how future pandemics can be prevented.

Check her Wiki page, I find it hard to see in what way she has demonstrated a capacity for stupidity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Clark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Might see if theres any house parties on, may as well fit in with the narrative being portrayed of my age grouping

I'm in desperate need of a pub. Hopefully Sunday lunch with some drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Rte have been having nightly Orgasms at the prospect

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm in desperate need of a pub. Hopefully Sunday lunch with some drinks.

Enjoy it, I'll be having a lovely pizza, one of the best I've had anywhere and a few pints.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement