Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

House parties have been going on since the start. Timed to give people a scare for this weekend I would think. Seems to be a common theme to give a scare at the weekends.

If his issue is house parties I'm not sure how exactly you stop them.

Let see what next week brings but current case numbers wouldn't be justification to push it back. If its pubs, covid doesn't exactly know the difference between a €9 meal and no meal

It’s going beyond a joke though.
    Pubs have got zero guidelines to go by. I know the Gastro Pubs have theirs but that’s because they’re essentially restaurants for now.
    It’s getting a bit disheartening now at this stage.
    They can’t stop house parties it’s impossible. We are a nanny state

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Santy2015 wrote: »

If they are worried about cases rising then put some Fawking restrictions on inward travel from the US and the UK.

We have complied with the lockdown, now don’t be asking us to carry the can when the yanks and brits have free reign to come here Because they won’t stand up to Boris or Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

There must be a lot of other doses going round if that many are getting tested.
    Patients are tested in ED before being transfered to a ward.
    Patients are tested before all surgeries now, and probably other procedures in areas like ENT.
    Patients are tested before being discharged to a residential facility.
    They all add up.

Micky 32 wrote:
    The ones i have spoken too have, and hse workers i have been talking to aswell.
    Micky 32 wrote:
    Something seriously wrong if you’re not being tested.
    Jim_Hodge wrote:
    And a relative working in a nursing home here has been tested several times. Strange.
    Nursing home staff are being tested regularly due to the targeted testing in those facilities. Given a large portion of our deaths occurred there, they are practically vulnerable.

Hospital healthcare workers are not tested routinely. There are tens of thousands of staff. It would clog the system to test everyone over and over again.

Only those with symptoms or those who have been in contact with a confirmed case are tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,640 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Inglot not reopening their stores

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A phrase I've learn since March is "soft drop"

It's when the Government intend to do something but get the media to leak it first to soften the blow with the public

That looks like a soft drop and to be honest it mightn't be a bad thing.

For a week or two now (in some cases longer) people are behaving like we've eradicated it from the country

I'm not sure, looks more like a warning of don't let us find anywhere not following the guidelines this weekend. A kick up the arse for the weekend basically.

He did reference house parties but they've been going on throughout.

Can't see based on current numbers how phase 4 doesn't progress. Let's see how the weekend and numbers look early next week.

But when cases are travel related and clusters being identified, community transmission is low so pushing it back wouldn't add up. Not when even the health minister told people go out and enjoy the weekend but be sensible. Last weekend was the first weekend many places had opened so should be a bit calmer this weekend with any issues ironed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

First they need to stop the Americans coming in while they are giving out about parties
    I had thought about booking a few days in a hotel in Ireland for a break but not if I have to share a lift etc with Americans who are waltzing in and doing what they like

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So even tho 15 cases the other day were from travel but they won't stop people arriving without quarantine the whole country has to suffer because a few idiots had a party (not the first and not the last)

This new government is a bumbling mess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    First they need to stop the Americans coming in while they are giving out about parties
    I had thought about booking a few days in a hotel in Ireland for a break but not if I have to share a lift etc with Americans who are waltzing in and doing what they like

I posted this earlier but might as well repost for anyone who wants to listen to Americans arriving at Dublin Airport this morning.

I'd be very keen to find out who collects them from the airport. One group said that their family will bring them food etc (!) but how are the rest of them going to sort themselves out for the two week quarantine they allege they're doing? A quick stop off in Tesco before staying on holidays for two weeks by not going anywhere?

Their phones won't be able to use the contact tracing app either as they're not compatible with phones from other countries, so even if they get sick while they're here, anyone who comes into close contact with them will not be informed by the app.

A huge proportion of people down in Crosshaven were wearing masks today, happy to report. Message seems to be sinking in more and more with the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

fritzelly wrote: »
    So even tho 15 cases the other day were from travel but they won't stop people arriving without quarantine the whole country has to suffer because a few idiots had a party (not the first and not the last)

5 cases today in waterford, we have one of the lowest rates. Last week there was a house party with 60+ people broken up and this may the result of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

spookwoman wrote: »
    Tests cost about €200 each https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-tests-cost-the-state-200-each-says-taoiseach-1.4264130

If people avail of testing it means a better handle on who is infected and who may be spreading, at least this way it can help nip it in the bud before it gets worse. If left unchecked it would cost the state more in hospital bills with more people infected and needing medical care. More people infected also means more chance of another lockdown.

So €20m a week for the 100k target and that's probably. just the marginal cost.

I'm not disputing your point that more testing would pick up more cases and that this would be a good thing.

I think that it would be preferable to target our testing and reorganise our testing system on a more sustainable manner than was put in place in a rush at the outset, than push for the max number of tests now when in all likelihood all this would do is increase the proportion of negatives given the current low levels of the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Boggles wrote: »
    Non medical workers wouldn't get tested unless they requested it.

My wife's a nurse in a major hospital and she's never been tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Martin better had grow a pair before next week

Such alarmist BS

There is no justification for not going to phase 4 with current numbers, hospital cases and ICU numbers

Not to mind the economic damage of keeping thousands out of work for longer and on COVID payments

spookwoman wrote: »
    5 cases today in waterford, we have one of the lowest rates. Last week there was a house party with 60+ people broken up and this may the result of it.

Or it could be a health care worker returning home to her family for the first time since February. It's not a good idea to get ahead of the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Do you remember the stories in the media coming up to each bank holiday weekend and after. I think I counted at least 3 second waves because people went 100 metres outside of the 2km zone, at the time.
    The bs harks back to our school days the threat of detention due to the behaviour of a few. It's actually pathetic and insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's not what's been said at all

That's how you're conceiving what's been said

In fairness, it's comes across as more than perception it's how it read.

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Such alarmist BS

There is no justification for not going to phase 4 with current numbers, hospital cases and ICU numbers

Not to mind the economic damage of keeping thousands out of work for longer and on COVID payments

Dangling the carrot infront of businesses and the general public, behave this weekend or else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Such alarmist BS

Exactly, it’s a shocking mess. Small Family owned businesses which world usually be the corner stone to many towns are going to the wall!!! There’s 11 people in hospital.. downward trend every week for the past 8/9 weeks.
    It’s the hospitals they need to look at. Over 1.2m downloaded the app. We’re testing more then ever. Contact tracing looks like it’s doing well.
    Absolutely no reason not to move into phase 4

• Registered Users Posts: 39,798 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Such alarmist BS

They are looking at the schools.

If they open the pubs, allow 100 to gather indoors and 500 outdoors in 10 days and 6-8 weeks later it surges and they have to back track on full reopening of schools.

Then you will see massive economic damage.

If we see a doubling of the trend or more in the next 10 days, NPHET will not recommend going ahead with phase 4, up to the government then on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

A phrase I've learn since March is "soft drop"

It's when the Government intend to do something but get the media to leak it first to soften the blow with the public

That looks like a soft drop and to be honest it mightn't be a bad thing.

For a week or two now (in some cases longer) people are behaving like we've eradicated it from the country

Or trying to scare people ahead of the weekend. In fairness wasn't the people who brought forward pubs opening by 3 weeks an reduced social distancing from 2m to 1m there so seems a bit rich

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

A lot of complaining on here about Americans and British people. Does anyone actually know how many are here on holiday rather than just living here? My partner is American, lives here now, has been here since before the lockdown. We've been travelling around the country over the past week doing plenty of shopping and dining out, and if anyone overheard us speaking they could quite easily assume she's here on holiday. I'm sure there are plenty more in a similar situation.

Even for the ones that are on holiday, I'm sure the majority of them are being careful. We need every bit of money into the economy we can get at the moment. I'm all for sensible restrictions like social distancing, masks, and even discouraging travel. But the idea of closing down the borders altogether as some seem to want is completely unrealistic with our current number of cases.

• Advertisement

If they open the pubs, allow 100 to gather indoors and 500 outdoors in 10 days and 6-8 weeks later it surges and they have to back track on full reopening of schools.

If we see a doubling of the trend or more in the next 10 days, NPHET will not recommend going ahead with phase 4, up to the government then on what to do.

I get where your coming from but come Monday it'll be 2 weeks since pubs, restaurants whatever they want to call themselves opened some with much more than 100 people as they are allowed to do. No clusters linked to them at the moment. House parties seem to be the concern.

We'll know come Monday / Tuesday the overall impact of phase 3 but so far minimal when cases are being linked to travel clusters in the majority.

And I know you say its trump sounding but it is true the more you test the more you find. If we had kept testing at the levels of 2 weeks ago and not gone into nursing homes again we wouldn't be finding the cases. 5 asymptomatic healthcare staff in 1 nursing home. Another with 1 case found that hadn't had a case since April.

All would have been missed without more targeted testing

A lot of complaining on here about Americans and British people. Does anyone actually know how many are here on holiday rather than just living here? My partner is American, lives here now, has been here since before the lockdown. We've been travelling around the country over the past week doing plenty of shopping and dining out, and if anyone overheard us speaking they could quite easily assume she's here on holiday. I'm sure there are plenty more in a similar situation.

Even for the ones that are on holiday, I'm sure the majority of them are being careful. We need every bit of money into the economy we can get at the moment. I'm all for sensible restrictions like social distancing, masks, and even discouraging travel. But the idea of closing down the borders altogether as some seem to want is completely unrealistic with our current number of cases.

Newatalk had a reporter at Dublin airport recently and estimated 70 or 80 people per flight . Most interviewed said they would self-isolate but they were on national radio. Get the economic argument but public health has to come first. They're more than welcome to come once this is all behind us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Easy to see why bus drivers don't want to have to enforce a mask rule.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53367432

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Eod100 wrote: »
    Newatalk had a reporter at Dublin airport recently and estimated 70 or 80 people per flight . Most interviewed said they would self-isolate but they were on national radio. Get the economic argument but public health has to come first. They're more than welcome to come once this is all behind us.

And that was just in one morning

One saying he was coming to Ireland because it was so bad in Florida - hello Mr Virus
    And BS to isolating while here - they will be out and about, one couple are only here for a week FFS

Well of course when it is put like that it seems reasonable.

But but but Martin needs to grow a pair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Really? If you told me the post below was a tweet from the great man himself I would believe you. :)

Than maybe you need to re-learn simple Maths

Today's numbers are better than they were in late June. This has been outlined with facts and figures

I'm not sure what more you're looking for

And that was just in one morning

One saying he was coming to Ireland because it was so bad in Florida - hello Mr Virus
    And BS to isolating while here - they will be out and about, one couple are only here for a week FFS

Exactly. One guy basically saying it was flu, very mild all that crap. Immigration need to turn around anyone with a return flight in less than 2 weeks for starters and even then is it realistic that people travel all this say to self isolate for 2 weeks unless they're here for at least a month?

Did they ask how long the proposed stay was? America is not known for generous holidays, who'd go on holidays to self isolate for two weeks?

Sorry just saw above post now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

How many of those were Irish? How many of those were travelling for something work related? How many of those were of Irish descent coming back for important family visits? Were the flights coming from areas with high numbers of the virus?

I'm not saying it's not something to be looked at, but it's a bit of a leap to assume anyone coming here is on holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

To me our situation now has the potential to be a classic case of boy who cried wolf. People have become numb to Threat of Bulgarians/Packed beaches/BLM/House parties etc etc. Personally I’m weary of being wary. But ultimately looking at the rest of the world We are far from out of the woods unfortunately:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement