Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

And if they brought out another crowd for the interring of the ashes ( I assume they are going in the Republican plot) the usual crew would be out complaining.

Death and funerals have always been used for orations by political party's. Aren't they still using the grave of WOlfe Tone for political oration.

The major issue with this particular funeral is the timing. The extravaganza part could have been been done this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What has an organisation that has been wound up after a conflict/war that is over for over 20 years got to do with current politics?
    You wouldn't be trying to deflect away from current events would you?

You post this and accuse me of deflecting. Seriously?

Also, the IRA has not been “wound up” as you claim.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 67,126 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

rdwight wrote: »
    The major issue with this particular funeral is the timing. The extravaganza part could have been been done this time next year.

The McArdle Brothers made a film once called 'It's Handy When People Don't Die'.

So also could any of the funerals that breached regulations been postponed.

Again, SF made mistakes here, they have acknowledged the hurt those mistakes made.

Asking them to apologise for having or attending a funeral is about as low as the anti-shinner crowd have stooped. Who here would apologise for attending a funeral?

And if they brought out another crowd for the interring of the ashes ( I assume they are going in the Republican plot) the usual crew would be out complaining.

Death and funerals have always been used for orations by political party's. Aren't they still using the grave of WOlfe Tone for political oration.

Was there any oration at Wolf Tones Grace before he was buried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

What has an organisation that has been wound up after a conflict/war that is over for over 20 years got to do with current politics?
    You wouldn't be trying to deflect away from current events would you?

So who were all those people in the pretendy uniforms marching about at the hero Bobby Story's funeral?

Was he in the Scouts?

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You post this and accuse me of deflecting. Seriously?

Also, the IRA has not been “wound up” as you claim.

I'll let you take that up with the relevant independent monitoring bodies who say that the IRA is no longer operational.

Truthvader wrote: »
    So who were all those people in the pretendy uniforms marching about at the hero Bobby Story's funeral?

Was he in the Scouts?

Members of SF I presume...who do you think they were?

A white shirt and tie is a 'uniform' now?

I'll let you take that up with the relevant independent monitoring bodies who say that the IRA is no longer operational.

Being no longer “operational” is not the same as being “wound up”.
    A company can be no longer operational but until it is wound up it continues to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

The McArdle Brothers made a film once called 'It's Handy When People Don't Die'.

So also could any of the funerals that breached regulations been postponed.

Again, SF made mistakes here, they have acknowledged the hurt those mistakes made.

Asking them to apologise for having or attending a funeral is about as low as the anti-shinner crowd have stooped. Who here would apologise for attending a funeral?

If I was a political leader I would advise a family to concentrate on normal parts of the funeral (church service, crematorium service) and leave the political extravaganza until a safer time. It's called leadership.

Anyway, Francie, have the last word on this if you wish, I can't believe I've spent 1 or 2 hours discussing this in the last couple of days. Life's too short. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

'Handwaving from die hards'?

Michael and Leo have set the template here...this is grand. He served the penalty, owned up...SF should promote him to Minister for State to even things up.

Sf's Buckleys offence was a tad worse though
    3 year driving ban and 3 times over the limit, also on a provisional licence
    Its very obvious now why SF didn't push the Cowen thing the other day

I presume an offence whilst holding office would be a resigning matter
    Its a pity we can't have squeaky clean mp's but I suppose no country has
    The right people rarely run for office, they're too busy getting paid properly/enjoying security of tenure for their skills elsewhere

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »

The right people rarely run for office, they're too busy getting paid properly/enjoying security of tenure for their skills elsewhere

Mort thinks a SF transgression is worse than any other similar transgression. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Where did I ask for anyone to resign. I'm barely in this thread. It's your comment I noticed.

Simple question what "laws" were broken for the PSNI to hand out 100s of fines for breach of regulations in relation to gatherings across NI during the covid19 outbreak? Whatever "laws" they deemed broken during these gatherings is it not possible they deem them broken at this funeral? I don't care about the context of the event as that's not how rules work. You break them you break them. Whether it be a house party piss up of 50 young lads or a funeral of 100s.

You still haven't shown me a law. You showed me maximum PSNI powers but you cant have powers without a law. You know those things published by Legislators. With an offence, specified. Is there one of those. I note that you use law and rule interchangeably. That's not how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Mort thinks a SF transgression is worse than any other similar transgression. :)

In the eyes of the law it was, hence the harsher penalty.

Members of SF I presume...who do you think they were?

A white shirt and tie is a 'uniform' now?

I said "pretendy" uniform. Kind of budget Stormtrooper.

And thanks again for confirming the Sinn Fein/IRA inextricable link and identity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Being no longer “operational” is not the same as being “wound up”.
    A company can be no longer operational but until it is wound up it continues to exist.

my god - what kind of debating is that? no longer OPERATIONAL means THEY NO LONGER DO ANYTHING regardless if the name is still there or not. A name is a bunch of letters and pretty useless if the body it represents is no longer operational

Theres time I wonder how some people can figure out how to open a door.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

And thanks again for confirming the Sinn Fein/IRA inextricable link and identity

you were talking rubbish. according to you anyone wearing a white shirt and tie are in the ira.

Just Googled Pat Buckley.

Another Sin Fein gouger last heard of arrested for being drunk and abusing Guards.

Classy as always

maccored wrote: »
    my god - what kind of debating is that? no longer OPERATIONAL means THEY NO LONGER DO ANYTHING regardless if the name is still there or not. A name is a bunch of letters and pretty useless if the body it represents is no longer operational

Theres time I wonder how some people can figure out how to open a door.

There are lots of groups that do nothing. It doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

joeguevara wrote: »
    You still haven't shown me a law. You showed me maximum PSNI powers but you cant have powers without a law. You know those things published by Legislators. With an offence, specified. Is there one of those. I note that you use law and rule interchangeably. That's not how this works.

https://www.thejournal.ie/over-100-coronavirus-related-fines-issued-in-northern-ireland-5073378-Apr2020/

I asked a simple question in my previous post. I'll quote it again.

Simple question what "laws" were broken for the PSNI to hand out 100s of fines for breach of regulations in relation to gatherings across NI during the covid19 outbreak?

Or are you of the opinion what the PSNI have been doing is illegal?

maccored wrote: »
    you were talking rubbish. according to you anyone wearing a white shirt and tie are in the ira.

Well as we know its tricky to know who exactly is "in" the IRA as such. Even one of their leaders wasn't actually "in" the IRA.

Maybe the pretendy uniform crowd were just "some" IRA members accompanied by community activists, advisors, supporters, diesel washers, stewards, committed republicans etc etc

Is a complicated world up there

• Advertisement

https://www.thejournal.ie/over-100-coronavirus-related-fines-issued-in-northern-ireland-5073378-Apr2020/

I asked a simple question in my previous post. I'll quote it again.

Simple question what "laws" were broken for the PSNI to hand out 100s of fines for breach of regulations in relation to gatherings across NI during the covid19 outbreak?

Or are you of the opinion what the PSNI have been doing is illegal?

I have no idea what the PSNI are doing because you have not been able to show me the Legislation that has been broken in a published documents. I have no idea what fines have been given. Could have been for anything. Just admit that you don't know what law has been broken and stop quoting newpaper articles that mean nothing.

Just so there is no doubt, I have never seen a lawyer in court read out a newspaper article for proof that a land and an offence exists. Have you?

They'd be right when comparing a 3 year ban to a 3 month ban,a court appearance to an on the spot fine,3 times the limit to just over the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I have no idea what the PSNI are doing because you have not been able to show me the Legislation that has been broken in a published documents. I have no idea what fines have been given. Could have been for anything. Just admit that you don't know what law has been broken and stop quoting newpaper articles that mean nothing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52106843

I'll keep quoting till the penny drops.

christy c wrote: »
    In the eyes of the law it was, hence the harsher penalty.

But is one worse than the other in your view? Sounds a bit Danny Healy Rae to me to be dancing on a pin here. It's a right or wrong issue for me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52106843

I'll keep quoting till the penny drops.

The penny has dropped. You have no clue. You cannot show me a law. Im off to court with a copy of the Kerryman. Hope the Judge lets me use it as a substitute for the Criminal Justice Act 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Wolfe Tone is actually there :)

If the GAA, Soccer Club, Golf Club want to show their respect as a 'group' at a funeral...what do they do? The wear shirts and club tie.

You can review photos of the state funeral to see recent examples of this.

Just so there is no doubt, I have never seen a lawyer in court read out a newspaper article for proof that a land and an offence exists. Have you?

it would be simpler to phone Newry PSNI on
    +44 28 9065 0222 for the exact details

Rather than clogging up this thread with repetitive questions to which you know there is an answer and its not the one you're pretending it is

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Wolfe Tone is actually there :)

So too was the body of Storey while the orations took place. His body was then taken for cremation.
    After Requiem Mass, Mr Storey's remains were taken to Milltown Cemetery where speeches were made by senior republican figures including former Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams.

His body was then taken to Roselawn Cemetery in east Belfast, where it was cremated at about 15:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mortelaro wrote: »

Yes and no, there's plenty of evidence to suggest Barry Cowen as a TD was driving to and from Dublin, most likely using motorways, I'd Hazard a guess unaccompanied at times.

There's the questions as whether or not his speeding offences were in close proximity to each other, one of which he unsuccessfully contested in court (5 points) + the one he didn't contest (3 point's) = 8 points and a learner license holder with more than 7 is automatically off the road. Barry has to clear this up yet I believe.

Also - apparently your man Buckley has never driven again since his run in with a breathalyser, we know Cowen has, hence why there's lots of road (no pun intended) to run with his misdemeanor yet.

But yes Morty, Cowen = bad Buckley worser. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement