Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't think that is workable because it will sti inevitably lead to people being turned back at the door. Booking is the easiest option to manage with limitations on bookings to give people a fair crack of the whip.

And people probably prefer the certainty of a booking, even with the competition for that booking, rather than having to be ready to go at the drop of a hat not knowing if the 40 that are there at a point in time will have grown to 50 by the time they get there. And stops unfairness where people can't get in for an hour yet someone else got in because they live closer and stay 3 hours at a time

I definitely agree a booking system would be the optimal solution... But whether that's something they would implement, I don't know.

I guess in theory the way to do it would be for staff to circulate fifteen minutes before the end of an hour slot, announcing it is quarter to... Then at five minutes to the hour everyone is off the premises. Maybe that wouldn't even be enough time. Then on the hour the new group scan in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I definitely agree a booking system would be the optimal solution... But whether that's something they would implement, I don't know.

I guess in theory the way to do it would be for staff to circulate fifteen minutes before the end of an hour slot, announcing it is quarter to... Then at five minutes to the hour everyone is off the premises. Maybe that wouldn't even be enough time. Then on the hour the new group scan in.

Absolutely, as the time slots would be standard - at 10:55 or whatever they make an announcement to finish up and wait for everyone to clear out, leaving a couple of minutes of a window for new people coming in. it's not like some people are starting their hour at 10:20 and others at 10 etc. which would be impossible to even begin policing. People will soon get the message that they can't just stay on as long as they want.

Flyefit already have booking for classes so time slots would be the same approach and pretty easy to roll out I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

A 1hr slot is not enough, if they are gonna impose a time restriction it will have to be 2hrs. Let’s just say average gym goer wants to do treadmill, bike and weights. I need more than 1hr to fit that in, especially if thee is 10mins less to handle each stop/start of each slot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

A 1hr slot is not enough, if they are gonna impose a time restriction it will have to be 2hrs. Let’s just say average gym goer wants to do treadmill, bike and weights. I need more than 1hr to fit that in, especially if thee is 10mins less to handle each stop/start of each slot.

in an ideal situation it won't be enough for a lot of people, myself included as I'd def be nearing the 2 hour mark going as normal.

unfortunately things aren't normal & we're in a beggers can't be choosers type situation with this one I think.

it'll be your hour slot or nothing at all, might be best for people to have a routine of doing their lifting in the gym & leaving the cardio to at home like going out for a jog or something.

do we think it'll be a free for all come July 20th then or what do ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

What are staffing levels like at most gyms?
    Staffing levels at mine are really low. I have been on the gym floor for entire workouts and not seen one staff member. There could be one on in the morning and that person is doing a class.

My gym would need to actually employ more staff in order to keep things ticking over.

Booking slots will see people cancel memberships. Anyone who used to go before work now wont be able too if they have no shower at work, they would need to go to the gym, then go home again before they can go to work. If people coming home cant stop on the way are they really going to go home, ear dinner and then go back out again? The peak hours are there because they suit peoples lives.

Ive always been able to go off peak but that being said I also want to be able to work out around kids/work. Ill just order more equipment and stay home if trying to get a gym slot becomes a hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

Alternatively gyms could change to a pay as you go model, with slots during peak times more expensive in order to manage demand. The problem is that gyms typically make most of their money from members who never show up. If these fall away, fees for pay as you go users would have to be astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

One hour isn't enough for me to do a full session either but a two-hour slot as standard has a big knock on impact on the number of members that miss out.

Better to try and accommodate as many members as possible within reason than accommodate those who need more than one hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

If one hour slot is no good for you, here is an idea.

set aside a 2.5 x 2m space in your house if you can or more but that would be enough. Get a loan if you can/have to.

Buy decent quality squat stand, barbell, plates, dumbbells, incline bench, proper power bands, and 30mm floor matts once stock levels are okay. You could do alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭caviardreams

One hour isn't enough for me to do a full session either but a two-hour slot as standard has a big knock on impact on the number of members that miss out.

Better to try and accommodate as many members as possible within reason than accommodate those who need more than one hour.

Agree - half a loaf is better than no bread and it's about making compromises to make it workable. I think your idea of a "no show" charge e.g. you are charged a day pass rate of €10 if you don't show up is a great idea too, as it will stop people booking lots of slots and no showing up if the weather is bad or they are tired or just don't care.

An hour isn't ideal but I guess you try and go there warmed up and cut rest times or sets where you have to and work around it

Agree - half a loaf is better than no bread and it's about making compromises to make it workable. I think your idea of a "no show" charge e.g. you are charged a day pass rate of €10 if you don't show up is a great idea too, as it will stop people booking lots of slots and no showing up if the weather is bad or they are tired or just don't care.

An hour isn't ideal but I guess you try and go there warmed up and cut rest times or sets where you have to and work around it

People don't value things until it might cost them.

I was involved in organising a conference to do with my work a few years back and there was a massive uptake because it was free. 200 plus on the wait list and people had to be turned away that hadn't pre-cooked. Attendance ended up being 70% ish. I've done it myself I'm sure. Booked free tickets for a work-related seminar and not gone.

The next year, we charged for it and the refund was triggered once you signed in at the event. Very few empty seats and still a free event.

It's not that difficult to set up with an online booking and with Flyefit's swiping in system it would be easy.

But it's an additional admin cost and they might feel that they won't lose out, ultimately, if there are lots of no-shows so they wouldn't go to the effort.

The alternative is to limit members to X sessions per week to prevent people booking loads of slots

• Advertisement

Even for non 24hr gym so let’s say they are open 6am to 10pm, how can they impose as little as a 1hr limit?? Even if limit is 50 customers at any 1 time, at gym membership fees and if they are limiting to 1hr based on their member numbers, that would be an obscene number of members and therefore turnover.
    In fairness to these gyms they have not actually said there is a 1hr limit, and I understand they have high fees. On flip side they are making big profits and gyms are increasing in popularity in this modern me me me world.
    But to be fair if there is a time limit it should be 2hrs or minimum 90mins. And would need some kind of booking system. And people will just cancel membership if situation cannot work with them and there doesn’t seem to be any end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭s8n

Oct 11th at 7:58 am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Even for non 24hr gym so let’s say they are open 6am to 10pm, how can they impose as little as a 1hr limit?? Even if limit is 50 customers at any 1 time, at gym membership fees and if they are limiting to 1hr based on their member numbers, that would be an obscene number of members and therefore turnover.
    In fairness to these gyms they have not actually said there is a 1hr limit, and I understand they have high fees. On flip side they are making big profits and gyms are increasing in popularity in this modern me me me world.
    But to be fair if there is a time limit it should be 2hrs or minimum 90mins. And would need some kind of booking system. And people will just cancel membership if situation cannot work with them and there doesn’t seem to be any end to it.

Doubt most make big profits also 50 is a maximum but with social distancing most won't fit anything like 50. When the government stops paying most wages if there's still social distancing I'd say plenty will shut shop.

To be fair to you is what you mean. It's not especially fair to the members that lose out because there are fewer slots with 90/120 min.

To be fair to you is what you mean. It's not especially fair to the members that lose out because there are fewer slots with 90/120 min.

That’s true but I am the customer. I won’t pay for a gym that tells me I have to arrive fully kitted out, then spend 1hr or less (to factor in the slot switch) and then leave without being able to shower and relax. Even if it’s only for 3-6 months I probably still won’t pay for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bmc58

That’s true but I am the customer. I won’t pay for a gym that tells me I have to arrive fully kitted out, then spend 1hr or less (to factor in the slot switch) and then leave without being able to shower and relax. Even if it’s only for 3-6 months I probably still won’t pay for this.

Well that's what Ben Dunne is offering people when he opens his gyms.

Don't pay then. If you dont like it, as a customer, that's your prerogative.

But its unlikely you'll get to train elsewhere at the times you want for as long as you want at Flyefit prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,445 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My assumption is that is will be even more restrictive than an hour - I think you might only be allowed X number of bookings per week. I wouldn't think I will be going to the gym every day like I used to. I'd have done 90 minutes every day previously, i just don't think that is realistic at all now.

Hopefully i'll be able to go 5 times, even for an hour, but thats a hope rather than an expectation right now. My gym said they would be providing information this coming week so hopefully I will know soon, as i'd just like some clarity.

I reckon i'm going to be continuing aspects of the routine I have had at home - such as going for a jog or doing 40mins instead of lunch during work - and using the gym for the heavy stuff I simply can't do at home. Looking forward to getting back to the bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I typically go 6 times per week but never less than 5. Im always in and out in the hour, I come home to shower so never use the locker rooms.

I have no issue with the one hour limit, I think 60 mins is more than enough time to do an efficient workout. If I can still be accommodated to workout then ill happily continue to pay my membership. But if im being limited to the number of times I can attend a week I would want my membership fees to reflect that

If they limit to 1-hour slots across the 18-hour days that are in place in most FF gyms, that's a max of 900 members they can accommodate per day.

They have ~ 40k members across 16 gyms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭VonLuck

If they limit to 1-hour slots across the 18-hour days that are in place in most FF gyms, that's a max of 900 members they can accommodate per day.

That's not too bad actually. Average of 2500 per gym. Out of that 2500, how many actually use their membership, or how many would go more than once or twice a week?

I wonder how many were in each gym at peak hours pre-covid. Could it be 100-150?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

The biggest issue is that they depend on membership fees from a large cohort who only go now and again, myself included.

I can’t see myself going near a gym if there’s that level of hassle and appointments and all sorts of stuff.

Those who really want to go will go, but I could see a lot of people just dropping their membership because they won’t be bothered going through all of that hassle and will just go for a walk or whatever instead.

I could see a lot of gyms not reopening tbh.

It's likely that from July 20th they can increase capacity to 100 at any one time which will help a lot.

But the reality is that use of the gym won't be normal from the end of the month insofar as the limitations will likely mean you won't be able to train when you want and for as long as you want for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

It's likely that from July 20th they can increase capacity to 100 at any one time which will help a lot.

But the reality is that use of the gym won't be normal from the end of the month insofar as the limitations will likely mean you won't be able to train when you want and for as long as you want for a while.

it could be better (back to normal, a free for all come the 29th like everyone would love, but that's never gonna happen)

but it could be worse also (important to remember that it could be a lot worse too, I think initially no one expected to be at this stage until the 10th of August, it was then pushed to the 20th of July & has been pushed to the 29th of June)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

The problem with this calculation is that the 50 people includes any gym staff and cleaners who are also onsite. So you are probably looking at 40-45 max at any time. They are also expected to maintain a level of social distancing, so depending on the size of the gym, the number allowed in the space could be further reduced.

For some gyms it may not make financial sense to open before the limit is increased to 100 in July.

Humour Me wrote: »
    The problem with this calculation is that the 50 people includes any gym staff and cleaners who are also onsite. So you are probably looking at 40-45 max at any time. They are also expected to maintain a level of social distancing, so depending on the size of the gym, the number allowed in the space could be further reduced.

For some gyms it may not make financial sense to open before the limit is increased to 100 in July.

I know it includes staff but it was a rough approximation to show the numbers anyway and anyway the reality is a lot more nuanced than just numbers. Distancing, like you said. And people can only train in certain timeframes so the number they could potentially accommodate doesn't tell a full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

We'll know in the coming days, not a hope places like FF are open as they we're before.

It's going to be hassle for a lot of people who will end up not keeping their memberships, for the bigger chains that's bad news.

The smaller gyms will be able to handle it better I think, less people to cater too. I'd be ok with an increase by 20e a month or so to keep my place open. It's small but it's next door and perfect for what I need.

Wait a few days all will be clear

Reckon BDunne will sell up soon enough. He's not bothered at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I wonder could gyms create outdoor space for machines?

Like if you took your carpark or a tennis court or something and put up a temporary roof and put all the machines outside.

Other options might be removing / replacing walls with sliding windows or or installing very large fans to remove and replace air.

I don't think anyone would object to gyms being outdoor freshly cool. If anything it would make working out less unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I wonder could gyms create outdoor space for machines?

Like if you took your carpark or a tennis court or something and put up a temporary roof and put all the machines outside.

Other options might be removing / replacing walls with sliding windows or or installing very large fans to remove and replace air.

I don't think anyone would object to gyms being outdoor freshly cool. If anything it would make working out less unpleasant.
    With air movement increasing any spread I'd wonder will ac systems be turned off or down low, would mean outdoorsfor wherever can making even more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭micar

"I am the customer".....ffs.....don't be coming out that nonsense......the customer is always right and I'll do what I want .....blah blah blah...

What's the problem in doing this?

If gyms can only have a fraction of people working out at the same time, then people need to use their time wisely and not faff around.

Get in, do your work out and get out.

I've no problem being kitted out and leave as soon as I'm finished. I can stretch, shower and relax at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement