Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Do people plan to wear face coverings while lifting? Are gyms issuing any sort of guidance on this?

RAW have released their guidance on Instagram.
    • Member complete self health check before returning
    • Temperature taken on entry
    • Book in session on app
    • Sanitisers available throughout the club
    • Recommended to wear gloves and mask while training, not mandatory (staff will be wearing them)
    • Disinfect all equipment before and after use
    • 2 metre distance between all people inside

I see they are back open already. Had classes indoors yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Its a complete bummer but ive pretty much resigned myself to only going back to the gym once things return to an actual real normal. I cant really be bothered booking sessions or waiting in queues. Hopefully august/september theyll be able to open properly to the public again. Til then im just gonna keep up with my home workouts, im missing the weights but hey, my cardio and bodyweight fitness is honestly better than its ever been, so thats ok i guess! Ive no idea when ill get back to my jiu jitsu gym either. They should be opening soon but close contact grappling might be best to avoid for another couple of months too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I noticed last night the gym I'm in have their booking app up and running. The slots are one hour with 15 minutes to the next slot ie first slot is 5.45-6.45 and the next slot is 7. You book on a credit system so it's something like €40 for 20 credits €60 for 35 etc. It's broadly in line with what I would pay monthly based on my usage anyway but if someone is in 5/6 days a week it'll be more expensive.

They haven't contacted us yet about what way outstanding memberships will be treated or the practicalities of going in so I'm sitting tight to see what all that entails. Like mentioned above it'll be adaption to a point, probably have to have to look at what I do and shorten it a bit. But I'd genuinely rather have half a loaf than no bread. On the plus side I think the slot system will make it easier to get around as it will take the groups of lads that come in for a social outing out of the mix. It's just going to take some planning to make room in your day now as the idea of just going in on a whim or changing plans if other stuff comes up will be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

WestWood Gym have emailed their members this morning:
    22nd June 2020

Dear Member

Finally, some great news!

Gyms were given the green light by the government on Friday to move to phase 3 and re-open on 29th June.

West Wood Club are very excited to open the doors again to our members on Wednesday 1st July. The club hours will be as normal from this date forward. We will be opening all facilities except fitzone and childcare which will re-open at a later stage.

We really want to welcome you back to the same club that you left behind on Sunday 15th March. We want to make the changes that were forced upon us as simple as possible for you when you enter and navigate the club. Our ethos will not change………….”exercise is fun, together is better”.

Please understand that this has been one of the hardest challenges we have had to face. We are asking members to be kind and patient and to bear with us as we transition through this period of new policies and procedures. We are learning all the time and will continue to do everything we can to adapt to the constantly evolving situation.

We have implemented some changes that are designed to keep you safe in the environment you train in. We have these policies and protocols positioned and highlighted throughout the club and ask that you fully respect them. Our staff will be on hand to help you every step of the way and to answer any queries that you may have.

We have maximum capacities highlighted for many areas throughout the clubs such as: stretch area, weights area, studios, toilets etc. We have increased all our sanitation points. We have placed every second piece of cardio equipment out of use. We have moved equipment around to allocate more space to comply with social distancing.

We have removed all difficult to clean equipment such as skipping ropes, TRX straps, therabands, power bags & mats. In some clubs we have created two cycling studios. We have readjusted our timetables with a 15 minute turnaround time in between classes for sanitation spraying.
    We have put some lockers out of use to help maintain social distancing.

We know it has been a long time since you have been to the club. We know it is hard to get back on track and we don’t want to make your visit to the club stressful.
    Gyms are safe. But we do need your help!

Please see below some of the important points that that we need you to follow:

• If you are feeling unwell please do not come to the club
    • Social Distancing must be practiced in all areas
    • Wash and sanitize your hands when you arrive, throughout your workout and when you leave the club
    • Entry only with swipe tag
    • Only card or contactless payments
    • You must carry a towel to the gym
    • Sanitize equipment before and after use
    • Bring your own mat

We would also respectfully ask you to inform us if you come in to contact with someone who has COVID-19 or if you test positive and have used the club in the last 14 days. This information will remain in strict confidence.
    We will notify members that there has been a case of COVID-19 disclosed to us and give the date, time and area used. We wish to be notified so we can inform those who have used the club during this period and also to engage the services of our contractor to bio-hazard disinfect the club facilities.

During our closure we started cosmetic upgrades in some of the clubs. We are also in the middle of gutting and fully refurbishing our Leopardstown spa area which will be amazing when finished. This area will take a few more weeks to be ready but will be worth the wait. The pools are fully operational.

Our staff will be fully trained before they welcome you back to the club. They will know the importance of all the measures we have put in place to make the clubs a safe environment to be in.
    Please do not be offended if staff or management ask you to leave the gym areas for not following our rules. It is a learning curve for them too so please respect them and be kind.

We are learning every day as we move along. We are not going to get it 100% right first time around. We welcome and value your suggestions and if there are any shortcomings please let us know.
    Once we are aware of them, we will immediately rectify.

Myself, the staff and management are really looking forward to welcoming you back.
    We have missed the fun, the smiles, the banter, training together and most importantly our friends.

We want to get you fit and healthy again and we want to make it fun.

See you all on Wednesday 1st July for a new beginning.

Kind Regards,

Kaleo Fernandes
    General Manager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

surprised WW don't have a booking app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

DareGod wrote: »
    See you all on Wednesday 1st July for a new beginning.

they've had months to prepare and cant open before 1st july?

maybe they cant take June's DDs and won't give people the 2 days for free ..so waiting till July.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

Update from Gym Plus...
    Delighted the pool will be open too, and no mention of masks/gloves ðŸ˜

We’re thrilled to be able to welcome you back into our clubs from an earlier date of 1st July, just in time for our 3rd birthday!

The government has said we’re fine to open from June 29th, but we’re going to take a couple of extra days just to make sure all our new health and safety measures are running like clockwork, ready to look after you when you arrive. As we all get used to a new way of working (and working out!), we’ll initially be operating slightly reduced opening hours from 7am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-5pm Saturday and Sunday.

As well as all the training and cleaning measures going on behind the scenes, there are a few things we need your help with, to ensure everyone stays safe:

Save your space. Initially, we’ll need you to pre book your gym, swim and class sessions up to 48 hours in advance so we can manage numbers, keeping them to the government guidelines. If you can’t make a session you’ve booked, please cancel it so others can have your spot. If you haven’t already, please download the FitSense app and use this to book your slots and enter the club. Please let us know if you need any help getting started.

Healthy hands. We’re asking you to please either wash or sanitise your hands regularly and we have special stations around the club to make this easy.

Say it with a smile. Whilst it’s tempting to give your friends and favourite trainers a big hug to say hello, we’ll need to keep our distance for now.

Spray, wipe, throw away. Before and after using any piece of equipment use the provided anti-microbial spray and blue paper towel to clean it, then pop the towel in the bins provided.

Feeling rough? If you’re unwell, we’d ask you to please hold off visiting the club until you’re completely better. We know it’s probably nothing, but you’d feel awful if it wasn’t and you passed it on.

Your fit kit. If you have your own mat from working out at home, you might want to bring it with you. Please bring a sweat towel which should only be used for wiping your own body, not for wiping down equipment, please use the special spray and blue paper towel instead.

Changing habits. We’d ask you to only use the changing rooms if you really need to e.g. after a swim or getting ready for work. Arriving and leaving changed for your workout will reduce the traffic into these areas and make it easier for them to stay sparkly clean.

Things to think about:

Start on the right foot. Starting back at the gym is a great time for a fitness revamp and our trainers are poised, ready to help. We can meet you in the club or virtually, whatever suits you best.

Sharing is caring. Please only book in for one class a day to ensure everyone gets a chance to do one. Our classes are now socially distanced and we’d ask that if you want a chat afterwards, you move to a more spacious area away from the studio. If you want to do more, we’ll still be running online live classes for you to do at home and where possible outdoor classes to give you the best chance of enjoying your favourite workouts.

Too hot to handle. Due to government guidelines we are unable to open our saunas, steam rooms and jacuzzis right now, but we’ll bring those back online as soon as we’re permitted and there is guidance on how to do this safely.

As July will now be a (relatively) normal month at the gym and you’ll be able to work out for 3 more weeks than the original guidance indicated, we’ll be restarting memberships from 1st July. As a thank you for sticking with us during the tough times and supporting your local club, we’re going to be giving everyone a half standard price membership of 24 euro for July with your normal rate beginning in August. This means we can all get used to our new routines together, at a pace that allows us to progress safely.

If you have any questions, preferable please email the club at clarendon@gymplus.ie and someone will contact you as soon as possible. As we are busy getting ready to welcome you back, the phones at the clubs aren’t manned full time.

See you soon (it feels so good to be able to say that)!

Dirk van der Flier
    Chairman
    Gym Plus

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Good new on gym plus, no email yet but they are probably in batches.

Now to download the app, wonder how people who paid a year ill front get on with the reduced rate for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,057 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

paw patrol wrote: »

maybe they cant take June's DDs and won't give people the 2 days for free ..so waiting till July.:pac:

they've had costs without incomings for months. I would say many business ahve planned, but put off execution of plans until they knew when they were opening (paying staff/contractors to sort stuff out prior to opening).

They were hopeful of July 20th, so being given a weeks notice of being allowed to open 3 weeks earlier then planned will have impacted people.

Look at Cinemas, I don't think Omniplex, Lighthouse, IMC have announced they are ready to go on June 29th - because they were working to August 10th, then July 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

paw patrol wrote: »

They were told they wouldn't be re-opening until July 20th so that's what they'd been planning for. At the last minute they've brought it forward by almost 3 weeks so you can't really fault them for that. They have a pool and changing rooms to consider too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is anyone able to book a slot on the gym plus app yet?

Is anyone able to book a slot on the gym plus app yet?

Think it’s only up to 48hrs before your slot.
    No word on any time / visit limits so will be interested to see how they manage that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

48 hrs before slot is tough.

Ideally, I'd like to book my sessions for a whole week in advance, but I'll take what I can get for now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »

Ideally, I'd like to book my sessions for a whole week in advance, but I'll take what I can get for now.

Same here.
    Evening slots will book up fast I’d say. I’m lucky I have a barbell & squat rack at home so if I could get 3 or 4 days in there I’d be happy enough for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rosita

RAW have released their guidance on Instagram.

I see they are back open already. Had classes indoors yesterday

I thought that gyms were not supposed to open until June 29th?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Rosita wrote: »
    I thought that gyms were not supposed to open until June 29th?
    That's the advice, they could be doing some trial runs. It's less than a week away anyway.

pinkypinky wrote: »

I'd imagine that's exactly what they're trying to discourage in order to minimise no-shows (people who might book simply because they can and not necessarily follow through sux/seven days later), and to make it more difficult for a small number of people to dominate areas of limited availability.

Looks like the new normal won't be much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Anytime Fitness have mentioned "new opening times" in their statement. I guess that means they won't be 24hrs for the foreseeable future.

Just thinking about the booking system and the groups of maybe two/ three young men you would tend to see taking turns at the bench press (for example). This is quite efficient in its way (when they are not on their phones anyway!) as one is resting while others are working and there's just one bench/rack being used.

When you consider that such examples will now have to book and use one each, and even then not be a metre or two apart it really paints an impossible scenario in gyms. Hopefully the numbers allowed indoors will increase quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

Anytime Fitness have mentioned "new opening times" in their statement. I guess that means they won't be 24hrs for the foreseeable future.

Not Anytime Fitness for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

sp00k wrote: »
    Not Anytime Fitness for the foreseeable future.

Almost Anytime Fitness :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

I see gyms in the UK staying shut and won't be included in the next phase of reopenings there (4 July)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Snap Fitness Ireland (Galway) (24 Hour Gym)

We're so excited to reopen our doors on the 29th June! We want to reassure you we've been working hard to make sure your local gym is safe for when you return

Below is a list of procedures and precautions that will be in place:
    - All clubs will be thoroughly cleaned at a minimum of 3 x daily
    - During staffed operating hours there will be hourly cleaning
    - Club capacity will be safely limited. You can view usage hours on social pages
    - We will temporarily require members to book ahead of attending
    - We've created safe zones in our key high traffic areas
    - Equipment will be rearranged to ensure social distancing is kept throughout the club
    - All members will be required to sanitise their hands upon entry and exit
    - All members will be required to wipe down equipment before and after use from our new cleaning stations
    - Snap Fitness abides by the recommended guidance published by Sport England when designing its ventilation systems to provide proper ventilation of second-hand air
    - Our Personal Trainers will continue to support our members but only on a 1 to 1 basis

Please see detail on these procedures here: https://www.snapfitness.com/uk/coronavirus/

Would ye be so kind as to offer yer opinions on the above regarding Snap Fitness?

What I'm wondering is how do ye think they will operate & manage the booking system during the unstaffed hours?

for example, it's usually staffed from 8am to 10pm of a week day, what would stop someone scanning in from 5am to 7am or 10pm to 12am, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Would ye be so kind as to offer yer opinions on the above regarding Snap Fitness?

What I'm wondering is how do ye think they will operate & manage the booking system during the unstaffed hours?

for example, it's usually staffed from 8am to 10pm of a week day, what would stop someone scanning in from 5am to 7am or 10pm to 12am, etc...

If it's a card swipe system, they can set it up to disable the card outside of hours booked. Well, it's possible but not sure if that's what's planned

If it's a card swipe system, they can set it up to disable the card outside of hours booked. Well, it's possible but not sure if that's what's planned

thank you for your reply.

with this particular gym you only have to scan in, not out, it's scan in & a door release button to go out.

mind you even if it was scan out there's always one that would lose track of time & get locked in :D

it's hard to know really, my selfish side that wants his 2 hours is hoping they'll just allow these unstaffed hours to be free for all as they are always as good as empty bar a few as it is anyway.

thank you for your reply.

with this particular gym you only have to scan in, not out, it's scan in & a door release button to go out.

mind you even if it was scan out there's always one that would lose track of time & get locked in :D

it's hard to know really.

It sounds like Flyefit. It would still need someone to shoo people out but there is always one security person on site

It sounds like Flyefit. It would still need someone to shoo people out but there is always one security person on site

I see, I see.

with regards ourselves there's never security, never has been, all you'd have is your staff there during staffed hours, otherwise it's just members there during unstaffed hours.

this might change now I suppose, possibl an intro of that 1 staff member/security guard for the night shift.

I see, I see.

with regards ourselves there's never security, never has been, all you'd have is your staff there during staffed hours, otherwise it's just members there during unstaffed hours.

this might change now I suppose, possibl an intro of that 1 staff member/security guard for the night shift.

They'd have to weigh up the cost of paying that person to be there versus what potential loss of membership it might offset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

is flyefit screwed then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement