Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Balmed Out wrote: »
    With air movement increasing any spread I'd wonder will ac systems be turned off or down low, would mean outdoorsfor wherever can making even more sense.

Air movement isn't a bad thing. The recirculation of air is a bad thing. Bringing fresh air in to flush out the building is a good thing.

Gyms are doing outdoor classes where they can. But not all have space outdoors to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

micar wrote: »
    "I am the customer".....ffs.....don't be coming out that nonsense......the customer is always right and I'll do what I want .....blah blah blah...

What's the problem in doing this?

If gyms can only have a fraction of people working out at the same time, then people need to use their time wisely and not faff around.

Get in, do your work out and get out.

I've no problem being kitted out and leave as soon as I'm finished. I can stretch, shower and relax at home.

If you live close to your gym, especially if it’s walking distance, then the not being able to shower there wouldn’t be a big deal. But for many they use the gym in morning on way to work, so just won’t be feasible to not be able to shower there after if no shower facilities in work. I drive about 15km to my gym so if I’m only allowed a 1hr slot not sure if I would bother.
    And if I’m paying full price for the gym I’m going there to do all my workouts, not to lift few weights and running there and back for my cardio. And I’m not partaking in these stupid home virtual workouts.

If you live close to your gym, especially if it’s walking distance, then the not being able to shower there wouldn’t be a big deal. But for many they use the gym in morning on way to work, so just won’t be feasible to not be able to shower there after if no shower facilities in work. I drive about 15km to my gym so if I’m only allowed a 1hr slot not sure if I would bother.
    And if I’m paying full price for the gym I’m going there to do all my workouts, not to lift few weights and running there and back for my cardio. And I’m not partaking in these stupid home virtual workouts.

You're likely to be doing those stupid home virtual workouts or nothing in that case.

You're likely to be doing those stupid home virtual workouts or nothing in that case.

I will have to settle for doing long walks outdoors or even outdoor runs to get any bit of exercise in, tho I find it difficult to run unless on a treadmill. And just not be a gym member any more until situation goes back to near normal. I find all this exercising at home in front of a computer screen, and all the stupid positivity and digital sharing around it, to be very weird. Even if it was a free service I will not be involved in it.

I will have to settle for doing long walks outdoors or even outdoor runs to get any bit of exercise in, tho I find it difficult to run unless on a treadmill. And just not be a gym member any more until situation goes back to near normal. I find all this exercising at home in front of a computer screen, and all the stupid positivity and digital sharing around it, to be very weird. Even if it was a free service I will not be involved in it.

Everyone has to settle to some degree. An hour won't be much use to me. Looking back at recent training blocks, I'd have 10-12 working sets of main movements in a session. That doesn't include warm up sets. Then 8-10 sets of accessories. That's not doable in an hour. So I understand where you're coming from.

But the restrictions aren't being put in place by the gyms. Nor do the gyms want them. There is no 'optimal' set up in the proper sense. It's finding the least worst solution that is relatively straightforward to implement and is reasonably fair to most members. But they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The reality is plenty of people will be put out regardless because we're all used to having certain facilities at hand and the ability to go in and do what we want when we want but for the short term, that won't be possible.

We can just choose what works best for us. I live close enough so it's not a big deal for me if I can get a slot. Some barbell is better than no barbell so I will take what I can get. Not.as.convenient for everyone obviously and convenience can be a big determinant.

I appreciate people are being put out but I also appreciate gyms are too because they know they will lose membership money because of the measures they are being made to put in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

One hour slots make a lot of sense under the circumstances and an hour is fine for most casual gym goers as long as you can get a rack and you are not waiting around for equipment. Like everything in life 80% of your progress is likely from 20% of the time you put in in any case. You can get a lot done in an hour, it’s inconvenient but what can you do, no activities are straightforward any more.

The lack of changing and shower facilities is definitely going to be a big issue for a lot of people as well, thankfully I can walk to my place and I usually go in the evenings after work but if you are the type to hit the gym before work it’s probably going to be a red line issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Air movement isn't a bad thing. The recirculation of air is a bad thing. Bringing fresh air in to flush out the building is a good thing.

Gyms are doing outdoor classes where they can. But not all have space outdoors to use.

I would have guessed that if a vent is on a wall behind me and I cough, sneeze etc then the spread will go far further?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I would have guessed that if a vent is on a wall behind me and I cough, sneeze etc then the spread will go far further?

The purpose of ventilation is to remove 'pollutants' and provide fresh air, amongst other things. If you have no ventilation, then the virus hangs around. If the space is ventilated, then the virus is flushed out of the building. Having no ventilation makes for an unhealthy space

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

Im surprised more people are not concerned re their privacy issues if we need to make an appointment. Not much of a concern right now but if and when a resurgence in the numbers occurs many will be getting phone calls asking them to quarantine for 2 weeks. Im not taking that risk, glad I spent a day setting up my own gym in the backyard a few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 45,228 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sanjose1 wrote: »
    Im surprised more people are not concerned re their privacy issues if we need to make an appointment. Not much of a concern right now but if and when a resurgence in the numbers occurs many will be getting phone calls asking them to quarantine for 2 weeks. Im not taking that risk, glad I spent a day setting up my own gym in the backyard a few weeks back

privacy issues.... as opposed to them having my number and email on file, as well as when I go to the gym based on my sign in, and then the CCTV.

Privacy... weird conspiracy theory paranoria.

• Advertisement

All those details are already on record.

But yeah imagine getting a call to say you might have contracted COVID-19 in the gym and to take appropriate care. Scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

aint no conspiracy theory your govt knowing where you are all the time, you idiots are just facilitating them

aint no conspiracy theory your govt knowing where you are all the time, you idiots are just facilitating them

What? Most gyms are booking in via App as always. Info will only be shared if there is a case discovered. If I have been working out alongside someone that has Covid I’d like to be told so that I can isolate myself to protect my friends, family, coworkers and the general public.

So if they already know where I am all the time what's the problem with booking a slot in the gym.

Like the govt. give a s--- where I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What has this got to do with the gym?

What has this got to do with the gym?

Government You Monons... G Y M.... OMG, its been staring us in the face all this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

The biggest issue is that they depend on membership fees from a large cohort who only go now and again, myself included.

I can’t see myself going near a gym if there’s that level of hassle and appointments and all sorts of stuff.

Those who really want to go will go, but I could see a lot of people just dropping their membership because they won’t be bothered going through all of that hassle and will just go for a walk or whatever instead.

I could see a lot of gyms not reopening tbh.

I think over the longer run i.e. the next year or two this view could cause bigger problems for gyms than the recent closure. While you’ll have those who’ll go to the gym irrespective of the situation you’ll have plenty who’ll feel the hassle might start to outweigh the enjoyment. When the time comes for renewal of membership gyms might feel the pinch. Generally in any business the easier it is for people to use a service the better it does.

In that environment those gyms paying an arm and a leg to lease large premises could struggle. Must say that I find a few sets of dumbbells in my house which I can use anytime to be as beneficial as the gym. Some will have found that during lockdown and might question the marginal benefit of the gym in their case. I do like the headspace the gym provides but I’m not sure it’d matter enough to be scurrying to book a slot at a particular time. Probably would/will do so initially but membership renewal might be a different question. And I say that as someone who was in the gym at least six days a week before the closure. Being honest I probably would continue but I can see that many wouldn’t. Gyms might or might not reopen but I wouldn’t say that their reopening guarantees their future.

They will know when I'm in the gym so they can tax me on my gainz. AND they will know how many Tesco points I accrued maybe 6 months ago when I last went to Tesco.

Your home gym gear...bought with Bitcoin was it? Or could it be traced through a card transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Government You Monons... G Y M.... OMG, its been staring us in the face all this time!

LayKFz3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I don't wanna travel to and from the gym in my gym gear, and I won't be able to shower before work now, so that's gyms done and dusted for me. Twas nice while it lasted.

Enjoy your new normal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

DareGod wrote: »
    I don't wanna travel to and from the gym in my gym gear, and I won't be able to shower before work now, so that's gyms done and dusted for me. Twas nice while it lasted.

Enjoy your new normal!

Minor inconvenience. I never shower in the gym. Prefer the comfort of my own home, but each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

DareGod wrote: »

Enjoy your new normal!

You wont be the only one. Lots of people workout before work and also at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

VonLuck wrote: »
    Minor inconvenience. I never shower in the gym. Prefer the comfort of my own home, but each to their own I guess.

For a person who goes to the gym on the way to work I'd say its more than a minor inconvenience. It'll be game changer for quite a few people I'd say.

It is more than a minor inconvenience for people who can't use the showers in the gym.

I also can't use the gym at lunchtime because the showers at work won't be open either. But that's not a big issue for me.

However it is a big issue for a lot of people and no access to the showers means the gym is not an option.

Its not an issue the gym have created but it is one that impacts them massively so we can all just hope that numbers continue to stay low so restrictions can be lifted enough that these businesses can stay in business.

Do people plan to wear face coverings while lifting? Are gyms issuing any sort of guidance on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

Not showering before work doesn't bother me, I'll just wipe myself down and spray some deodorant; with the 2 metres guidelines, sure no-one will be close enough to smell me. :p

Kamu wrote: »
    Not showering before work doesn't bother me, I'll just wipe myself down and spray some deodorant; with the 2 metres guidelines, sure no-one will be close enough to smell me. :p

Lol. Even after 30mins cardio I am sweating my tits off. I can’t imagine not being able to take a shower. I don’t even wanna get in my car in my sweaty smelly gym gear to drive home to take a shower. Still waiting for my gym to reveal its exact details before I say for sure what I will do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jesus, so much speculation here! Hopefully will get email from gym plus today.

Anyone know why showers can't be used, would have thought if there were a smaller number of people in the gym then less people would need to shower (and not everyone uses them anyway).

Luckily I can get away without a shower after swimming, not so easy after the gym itself. Will need a big bin liner or paint dust sheet for the car seat afterwards lol

Anyone know why showers can't be used, would have thought if there were a smaller number of people in the gym then less people would need to shower (and not everyone uses them anyway).

I think it's just to minimise the potential spread as much as possible where several people are using the one facility. It's the same pretty much everywhere and not just in Ireland, afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone hear anything back about a refund from Ben Dunne?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement