Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I thought Nowhere Fast was funny, but like a lot of RTE comedies, not very well produced. It was like they submitted the script and then that was it. Grand, that'll do. Whereas with BBC and Channel 4 comedies, they're still rewriting scenes in between takes.

I'm not being deliberately controversial here, but the British tend to be funnier than the Irish. There's a knowingness about British humour that doesn't exist with the majority of Irish humour, which instead relies on that rather cringe inducing humblebragging thing that Irish people love to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I worked as a part-time barman in Vicar Street when I was a student in Trinity, and would have heard (from the bar) the likes of Dylan Moran, Ed Byrne, Des Bishop, Dara Ó Briain, Jason Byrne do their thing. They were all funny to be honest, and played to full houses. I think we lived in less cynical times back then. I remember thinking Jason Byrne was a little bit hectic for my tastes.

Dylan Moran was touring his Monster show at the time, and was absolutely outstanding.

That’s the problem really, our very best talent will always go to the UK or further afield where they can find bigger audiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I'm not being deliberately controversial here, but the British tend to be funnier than the Irish. There's a knowingness about British humour that doesn't exist with the majority of Irish humour, which instead relies on that rather cringe inducing humblebragging thing that Irish people love to do.

They are funnier than us, thats a fact. Not sure where the stiff upper lip stereotype comes from, maybe it was true at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

KiKi III wrote: »
    That’s the problem really, our very best talent will always go to the UK or further afield where they can find bigger audiences.

Good humour needs to travel, imo. IF you make it 'ha, Ireland-it's mad etc' you're just going to cater to a tiny little audience in Ireland.
    That's why I don't have much use for the majority of Irish comedians.

Dylan Moran managed to find success in the UK, and even in the US. But his comedy was a broad observation.
    Dara, Ed Byrne, and many other Irish comics (barring Tommy Tiernan) couldn't give themselves away in Canada or America. Their humour is too... minute, for want of a better word.

Good humour needs to travel, imo. IF you make it 'ha, Ireland-it's mad etc' you're just going to cater to a tiny little audience in Ireland.
    That's why I don't have much use for the majority of Irish comedians.

Dylan Moran managed to find success in the UK, and even in the US. But his comedy was a broad observation.
    Dara, Ed Byrne, and many other Irish comics (barring Tommy Tiernan) couldn't give themselves away in Canada or America. Their humour is too... minute, for want of a better word.

You couldn’t be more wrong on Dara O’Briain. I’d bet money you’re basing that on Mock the Week which is a fairly prescriptive format and not his stand up. Saw him live in Bristol and he was so sharp, an exceptionally talented comic who improvises about 20% of his shows based on interactions with the audience. He’s had numerous other shows on UK TV too.

I’d say the only reason he hasn’t cracked the US is that he hasn’t tried; his wide and kids are British!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I don't agree with that at all. If it was true, there wouldn't have been such a disproportionately large number of very successful Irish comedians (not to mention comedians of Irish extraction) in the UK over the years. They're just better at turning comedy into a product over there. I don't think it's ever been highly valued as a source of entertainment here. RTE produced almost no comedy until the '90s. There was no real call for it either. The BBC has been at it since its inception.

Arthur Mathews' response when asked why Father Ted wasn't pitched to RTE always comes to mind... "Why would we do that? You might as well pitch it to Waterford Glass".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I don't agree with that at all. If it was true, there wouldn't have been such a disproportionately large number of very successful Irish comedians (not to mention comedians of Irish extraction) in the UK over the years. They're just better at turning comedy into a product over there. I don't think it's ever been highly valued as a source of entertainment here. RTE produced almost no comedy until the '90s. There was no real call for it either. The BBC has been at it since its inception.

Arthur Mathews' response when asked why Father Ted wasn't pitched to RTE always comes to mind... "Why would we do that? You might as well pitch it to Waterford Glass".

I'll admit to not know very much about the musty old era of Irish comedians making it big in Britain, but I can't think of anyone apart from Dave Allen.

I do think Father Ted is a perfect case in point though. Was it an extremely funny comedy? Or course. It made me laugh a lot when I first watched it. Was there something more subversive about how it portrayed the Irish psyche that we hadn't seen before? Of course.

It's the almost 30 year beating of that drum that has become tiresome now. The 'oh look at us, the Irish, we're mad, a little bit zany; and love mild surrealism' that has become dated.

It's very cloying and insular to see that sort of reverence towards it even now, especially as an Irishman who doesn't have to be bombarded with tired old Father Ted references on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They have years upon years of experience, from music halls which barely figured here and BBC actually seriously throwing money at talent. Bigger population and a more affluent society helped, university amateur dramatics stuff that kickstarted Monty Pythons and the like. A far more sophisticated end product than could be fostered over here, what were Irish based comedians doing? Telling mother in law jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

You couldn’t be more wrong on Dara O’Briain. I’d bet money you’re basing that on Mock the Week which is a fairly prescriptive format and not his stand up. Saw him live in Bristol and he was so sharp, an exceptionally talented comic who improvises about 20% of his shows based on interactions with the audience. He’s had numerous other shows on UK TV too.

I’d say the only reason he hasn’t cracked the US is that he hasn’t tried; his wide and kids are British!

You are basically contradicting everything you said earlier about comedy being subjective and making some ludicrous assumption that the only reason Dara O Briain hasn’t made it big in the US yet is because he hasn’t tried or bothered. O Briain, like most comedians isn’t to everybody’s liking. Some people detest him to Spittle levels....I like his stuff, highly entertaining, seems unscripted, very intelligent. Divisive, but massive audiences and success would suggest anyone that says he is not funny does not really know what they are talking about. His unfunny poll rating here is fairly low also...unlike Spittle, which tops the poll with a few hundred people from a small group confirming she is complete sh*t at comedy.

Will spice quotation mark man and his idol Johnny flash be in now to comment on his appearance saying O Britain’s success is only because he is stunningly attractive misogynistic pig?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

No, I'm basing it on his own act and material. I don't watch Mock the Week, tbh I don't think many people do watch it nowadays, compared to, say, ten years ago.

Dara's an acquired taste-I'd say he does well in the UK, but I don't think he'd translate to the US.

I'll admit to not know very much about the musty old era of Irish comedians making it big in Britain, but I can't think of anyone apart from Dave Allen.

Dave Allen was effectively 'banned' over here-you couldnt' say what he was saying... cos 'the Church'.

Comedy abroad in the US, with the likes of Upright citizen's brigade, or Improv theatre,among other things, lets comics hone their craft.
    People like the Kids in the Hall learned their craft from performing material, and refining it. If a joke bombed, they figured out why, and worked on it. Much of SNL's cast come from UCB.

Much of the comics over here don't really get to do that kind of 'training', frankly. There's no avenues to allow you to do so. I think when Tommy Tiernan tried to do a show that was strictly improv (no written material beforehand) he didn't do very well. It actually led to questions about his health from folks who watched it.
    I think he thought he could just walk into that with ease. Improv takes years to master.

• Advertisement

No, it implies that the people who go on and on... and on... about comedians they don't like tend not to be remotely amusing themselves. Unless they hide it well on here.

On a thread called "unfunny Irish comedians"

Are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Liam28 wrote: »
    Al Porter anyone? Best I can say about him is that he is not as bad as Oliver Callan. And the original and worst unfunny comedian, Brendan O'Carroll. Say 'feck' enough times and some people will laugh. Still he has made his fortune in the UK.
    Agree about Tommy Tiernan and Des Bishop who have not been funny in 10 years. And Jason Byrne never was and never will be funny.
    There are some good Irish comedians. Dara OBriain is funny and witty. Mario Rosenstock is talented and funny some of the time. Eh, I'm sure there are more.
    Here's a classic sketch from the late, great Dave Allen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upEBdKFGlPg
    Nail on the head Oliver Callan, cringefest sucking the life out of RTÉ I even feel he’s embarrassed on TV. Fred Cooke is the newest one he used to be some funny lad but I’ve watched his Instagram musings with 3 people watching and he can’t play the guitar or sing even if he’s just messing its just cringy. Can’t beat a good story teller, we don’t have too many of them anymore. Irish comedians for the most part get stuck in a time warp where if it’s successful at the start then flog it till it dies on its a** that is why I like Tiernan so much he’s tried different things and he’s comedy has changed with his own life, not a fan of all of it but he’s changed enough to keep it funny and interesting. His TV show is very enjoyable. As a whole there’s a lot of Irish cringeworthy comedy The Late Late Show is the factory for alot of it.

You are basically contradicting everything you said earlier about comedy being subjective and making some ludicrous assumption that the only reason Dara O Briain hasn’t made it big in the US yet is because he hasn’t tried or bothered. O Briain, like most comedians isn’t to everybody’s liking. Some people detest him to Spittle levels....I like his stuff, highly entertaining, seems unscripted, very intelligent. Divisive, but massive audiences and success would suggest anyone that says he is not funny does not really know what they are talking about. His unfunny poll rating here is fairly low also...unlike Spittle, which tops the poll with a few hundred people from a small group confirming she is complete sh*t at comedy.

Will spice quotation mark man and his idol Johnny flash be in now to comment on his appearance saying O Britain’s success is only because he is stunningly attractive misogynistic pig?

I’m not contradicting myself at all. People are welcome to like or dislike O’Briain, I absolutely stand by my earlier statement that comedy is subjective and what’s funny to one wouldn’t be to another.

I was replying to a poster that said his material is all played up Oirish, Tayto, who left the immersion on kitsch stuff. That’s just not the case. You might get that impression if you only ever saw him on Mock the Week, but not if you paid any attention to his stand up.

I do think Father Ted is a perfect case in point though. Was it an extremely funny comedy? Or course. It made me laugh a lot when I first watched it. Was there something more subversive about how it portrayed the Irish psyche that we hadn't seen before? Of course.

It's the almost 30 year beating of that drum that has become tiresome now. The 'oh look at us, the Irish, we're mad, a little bit zany; and love mild surrealism' that has become dated.

It's very cloying and insular to see that sort of reverence towards it even now, especially as an Irishman who doesn't have to be bombarded with tired old Father Ted references on a daily basis.

I don’t think this happens any more with Fr Ted here than it does with Monty Python in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Dara O’Briain is just brilliant at what he does,i was watching him live at the apollo the other night on Dave and he was funny and that wasn't ripping into the front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m not contradicting myself at all. People are welcome to like or dislike O’Briain, I absolutely stand by my earlier statement that comedy is subjective and what’s funny to one wouldn’t be to another.

I was replying to a poster that said his material is all played up Oirish, Tayto, who left the immersion on kitsch stuff. That’s just not the case. You might get that impression if you only ever saw him on Mock the Week, but not if you paid any attention to his stand up.

it's more sciencey than tayto to be fair to him

CBear1993 wrote: »
    The Two Johnnies, Stevo Timothy, Rory’s Stories, all these gobsh*tes on social media who think that the whole of social media waits for their videos all the time . Not funny in the slightest. Looking you to support them through platforms like Patreon, plenty of funny people out there who don’t upload every little thing to social media

i like stevo the rest are sh1te

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Dara O’Briain is just brilliant at what he does,i was watching him live at the apollo the other night on Dave and he was funny and that wasn't ripping into the front row.

He loves ripping into the NHS aswell think he’s gf or wife is a doctor/nurse there. He’s got so much in his locker, his stand ups are educational, bit of Irish based laughing at ourselves and few digs at the English in a fun way. Think he comes across very well in all he does. He stands up for Irishness mostly from all I’ve seen of him. He’ll take the mick about Ireland on MTW but if anyone does he’ll buzz them till they stop haha One of The very few talented and clever comedians. Anyway back to the crap ones but as a poster said it’s all objective. Nothing worse then that feeling in a room of a comedian having a stinker so I try not be too harsh.

It is **** to comment on anyone's appearance on a public forum? Or just women?

well as a "man" if you wish to just focus on women from the comfort of the internet, it looks like you've got nothing ? in the area of critique is probably is the lowest rung of the ladder, it's like the bigger boys get the better of you and all you have to come with is "YOU'RE BALD"

I think the problem in Ireland is a lack of a platform for a lot of funny people.

I still find it a miracle that RTE gave a platform for the Savage Eye. It was the most cutting comedy ever produced in Ireland. Funny and uncomfortable to watch at the same time. Loved it.

• Advertisement

He loves ripping into the NHS aswell think he’s gf or wife is a doctor/nurse there. He’s got so much in his locker, his stand ups are educational, bit of Irish based laughing at ourselves and few digs at the English in a fun way. Think he comes across very well in all he does. He stands up for Irishness mostly from all I’ve seen of him. He’ll take the mick about Ireland on MTW but if anyone does he’ll buzz them till they stop haha One of The very few talented and clever comedians. Anyway back to the crap ones but as a poster said it’s all objective. Nothing worse then that feeling in a room of a comedian having a stinker so I try not be too harsh.

I participated in a comedy competition a few months ago. In the qualifier I killed it, everyone just got me. The crowd participation bit went perfectly. I came first and got amazing feedback from the judges, one of them told me I was in contention to win it outright.

A few weeks later I did the same set in the same room to a completely different audience. A lot of the other young people who qualified brought their parents or aunts and uncles along so the demographic was a lot older. Not only this but I drew the short straw and had to go first so the audience wasn’t warmed up.

I died on my arse.

It was so awkward.

That’s why I have such massive respect for anyone who continually puts themselves out there.

It’s fine not to like someone but harsh and relentless criticism is unnecessary.

I think the problem in Ireland is a lack of a platform for a lot of funny people.

I still find it a miracle that RTE gave a platform for the Savage Eye. It was the most cutting comedy ever produced in Ireland. Funny and uncomfortable to watch at the same time. Loved it.

savage was a finished product with no RTE input and that helped!! RTE is notorious for interfering in peoples work.

I participated in a comedy competition a few months ago. In the qualifier I killed it, everyone just got me. The crowd participation bit went perfectly. I came first and got amazing feedback from the judges, one of them told me I was in contention to win it outright.

A few weeks later I did the same set in the same room to a completely different audience. A lot of the other young people who qualified brought their parents or aunts and uncles along so the demographic was a lot older. Not only this but I drew the short straw and had to go first so the audience wasn’t warmed up.

I died on my arse.

It was so awkward.

That’s why I have such massive respect for anyone who continually puts themselves out there.

It’s fine not to like someone but harsh and relentless criticism is unnecessary.
    Agreed, I wrote a comedy act but thing a few years ago living in Cork n I got to know the owner of one of the comedy clubs and he said I’m welcome to try anytime. I didn’t do it but if my audience had of got my first joke then I was onto a good thing. Animal puns it was so it was actually quiet slot of improv, always loved puns and factored in crowd reactions. Defo on my list of things to do, sure could die on my a** but be deadly to do. So yea I say I don’t like what they do but if they continually get paid make a career then good luck to them. I think abusing their looks is just plain sad for the person using that as a valid reason not to like a comedian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Recommendations for stand up show on netflix/prime..

I like both of John Mulaney’s a lot. But my brother hated it. So who’s to say? What kind of comedy do you normally like?

Bert kriesner
    Bill Burr
    Jim Jeffries
    Dave Chapelle

all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bert kriesner
    Bill Burr
    Jim Jeffries
    Dave Chapelle

all of them!

All shouty Americans going on about America. Seems to the sort of comedy that the majority audience on AH like.

It’s about as subtle as a sledgehammer, but there you have it.

All shouty Americans going on about America. Seems to the sort of comedy that the majority audience on AH like.

Jim Jefferies is a shouty Australian. I like him quite a lot. He has a very long story about taking his dying disabled friend to a brothel for a blow job that is absolutely amazing.

You clearly haven’t a bogs notion what you’re talking about at this stage

• Advertisement

well as a "man" if you wish to just focus on women from the comfort of the internet, it looks like you've got nothing ? in the area of critique is probably is the lowest rung of the ladder, it's like the bigger boys get the better of you and all you have to come with is "YOU'RE BALD"

I agree, if you only hate anyone because of their appearance, it's absolutely silly.

However, nobody on this thread (as far as I have seen, may have missed a comment) has said they dislike her purely based on her appearance.

But I see no difference in commenting on a woman's appearance or commenting on a man's appearance. Spittle, like Jo brand, has been know to use her, let's say, less than conventional looks and her political views in her material and in interviews so I wouldn't castigate anyone for mentioning them.

Advertisement