Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I agree, if you only hate anyone because of their appearance, it's absolutely silly.

However, nobody on this thread (as far as I have seen, may have missed a comment) has said they dislike her purely based on her appearance.

But I see no difference in commenting on a woman's appearance or commenting on a man's appearance. Spittle, like Jo brand, has been know to use her, let's say, less than conventional looks and her political views in her material and in interviews so I wouldn't castigate anyone for mentioning them.

the reason i jumped on the first person that mentioned it here is i've seen full threads of it elsewhere. It's just too easy isn't it?

KiKi III wrote: »
    Jim Jefferies is a shouty Australian. I like him quite a lot. He has a very long story about taking his dying disabled friend to a brothel for a blow job that is absolutely amazing.

Jefferies disgraced himself in trying to stitch up Avi Yemeni, lost all respect for him after that.

Avi recorded the whole thing on a hidden camera as he suspected it would happen.

Dishonest virtue signalling and managed to insult Islam in a really vulgar way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Jefferies disgraced himself in trying to stitch up Avi Yemeni, lost all respect for him after that.

Avi recorded the whole thing on a hidden camera as he suspected it would happen.

I hadn’t heard about this. I’ll look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Jeffries did multiple hatchet job attempts... the more you look at his own material, his jokes about giving ecstasy to a 17 year old girl in order to have sex with her. And other jokes that are very date rapey.

No wonder his Comedy Central got cancelled. He's a total jerk.

I’m not contradicting myself at all. People are welcome to like or dislike O’Briain, I absolutely stand by my earlier statement that comedy is subjective and what’s funny to one wouldn’t be to another.

I was replying to a poster that said his material is all played up Oirish, Tayto, who left the immersion on kitsch stuff. That’s just not the case. You might get that impression if you only ever saw him on Mock the Week, but not if you paid any attention to his stand up.

I never said that-read my original post. I said his material was 'minute', as in too centralized to the UK and Ireland. Transplant that material to the US, and it doesn't connect. I spoke in broad terms about other comedians. But O'Briain, and others, don't subscribe to that material. Maybe in their early standup, but not continuously.

Des Bishop does that type of material-he's never let up on it, tbh. Even tho he's lived in IReland longer than the US.
    Recommendations for stand up show on netflix/prime..

'Quarter Life Crisis' by Taylor Tomlinson. She's funny, the material is solid, and you won't get a political lecture. It's an hour long, so decent show to watch.
    I think the problem in Ireland is a lack of a platform for a lot of funny people.

I still find it a miracle that RTE gave a platform for the Savage Eye. It was the most cutting comedy ever produced in Ireland. Funny and uncomfortable to watch at the same time. Loved it.

Indeed. Ray D'arcy's standup 'competition' got a lot of criticism from actual standups. It was poorly organised, the comics were left high and dry, and one or two stole material.

I know there was some show RTE aired in January or February, Laughter in the Eyre. The advert, showcasing new 'comics' left me rather cold-especially when it showed stolen material in the opening clip. (The 'they used to call my granddad the exorcist...' is a long running meme on the internet. This comedian had it as their opening joke. Not inspiring much hope, tbf.)

• Advertisement

Jim Jeffries and Frankie Boyle... Classic examples of comedy turned into pandering bull****.

Both were edgy. Both were offensive and unapologetically so. They often overstepped the mark and went to gratuitous but it was great to see pushing the boundaries of acceptable comedy.

Now it is trump jokes and privileged apologies.

Comedy shouldn't be offensive for the sake of being offensive but by the same token, it shouldn't be in agreement to the mainstream narrative.

Comedy, like music, had always been about pushing boundaries.

Now though comedians who paved the way for modern comedians are "cancelled" because of "offensive" jokes that are now outlawed.

We need more offensive yet funny comedy before we need politically correct and bland ****e.

Are there any comedians or fans of comedy out there that think there are topics that should not be joked about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I know there was some show RTE aired in January or February, Laughter in the Eyre. The advert, showcasing new 'comics' left me rather cold-especially when it showed stolen material in the opening clip. (The 'they used to call my granddad the exorcist...' is a long running meme on the internet. This comedian had it as their opening joke. Not inspiring much hope, tbf.)

What's that?

Rothko wrote: »
    What's that?

The joke is 'they used to call me the exorcist-every time I turn up to the party, there'd be no spirits left'.

It's a joke about drinking.
    Jim Jeffries and Frankie Boyle... Classic examples of comedy turned into pandering bull****.

Both were edgy. Both were offensive and unapologetically so. They often overstepped the mark and went to gratuitous but it was great to see pushing the boundaries of acceptable comedy.

Comedy shouldn't be offensive for the sake of being offensive but by the same token, it shouldn't be in agreement to the mainstream narrative.

Are there any comedians or fans of comedy out there that think there are topics that should not be joked about?

Daniel Tosh wrote a joke about his sister getting raped (no, his sister wasn't raped, it's a jokey scenario).

When people got onto him with the usual 'You don't make jokes about rape' he responded with 'you can make jokes about anything-they just have to be funny'.

His material tends to be really, really dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Dara O'Briain, sounds like he's chewing on his accent when he talk, stage persona is obsessed with 'being Irish', can't he just be someone who happens to be Irish like a normal person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Now though comedians who paved the way for modern comedians are "cancelled" because of "offensive" jokes that are now outlawed.

We need more offensive yet funny comedy before we need politically correct and bland ****e.

Never found Frankie Boyle remotely funny and actually seems a bit dim witted to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think the problem in Ireland is a lack of a platform for a lot of funny people.

The biggest problem in Ireland is the audiences.

I've been at many comedy shows where people have literally brayed with laughter at a 'comedians' whose acts basically involved crude description of sexual intercourse and shouting expletives very loudly.

Tommy Tiernan is a good case in point, I saw him in 2000 and he was brilliant, subversive, clever and biting. A few short years later he's traded it in for knob jokes and the audience is loving it.

The mid-90's produced a great raft of Irish comedians but since then it's been a slow and steady decline. Irish audiences have incentivised comedians to dumb-down to their most lazy, basic and crude level.

he has deffo dipped since he got american TV spots

The biggest problem in Ireland is the audiences.

I've been at many comedy shows where people have literally brayed with laughter at a 'comedians' whose acts basically involved crude description of sexual intercourse and shouting expletives very loudly.

Tommy Tiernan is a good case in point, I saw him in 2000 and he was brilliant, subversive, clever and biting. A few short years later he's traded it in for knob jokes and the audience is loving it.

The mid-90's produced a great raft of Irish comedians but since then it's been a slow and steady decline. Irish audiences have incentivised comedians to dumb-down to their most lazy, basic and crude level.

I feel like blaming the audiences is a cheap out for people not upping their game, imo.

Audiences don't know what they want-you gotta give them good comedy to show them there's better stuff than 'braying, shouting, penis and vagina jokes' etc. And many comics take advantage of 'well, they'll be drunk, so everything will be hilarious'... which is essentially saying they're happy for a pity laugh.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Never found Frankie Boyle remotely funny and actually seems a bit dim witted to be honest.

Someone I know used to have issues with him-that his humour was too mean spirited to be funny.
    IF you speak in broad terms in comedy, you can tend to make jokes about anything. Boyle would make specific, targeted jokes.
    Sometimes it could be funny, other times he crossed the line.

Irish comedy having a #metoo moment at the minute on twitter but I can’t figure it out , I’ll keep digging

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Irish comedy having a #metoo moment at the minute on twitter but I can’t figure it out , I’ll keep digging

Is some poor bastard being accused off "sexual misconduct" or some other pseudo-crime. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Have a look at Try Channel twitter page and you’ll figure it out!

He has since ‘apologised’.

fullstop wrote: »

I see but the damage is done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bambi wrote: »
    Is some poor bastard being accused off "sexual misconduct" or some other pseudo-crime. :D

Looks more like some bastard being accused of anal rape and other real crimes. Why the grin?

I see but the damage is done :)

Oh absolutely. Looks like he’s been up to no good for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

It's one of the guys who accused Al Porter of groping him ironically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Oh absolutely. Looks like he’s been up to no good for some time.

And seems to be multiple victims as well ....

That’s interesting,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

In the unlikely event that you have any decency at all, you'll regret posting that when you hear the details of the crimes he's been accused of.

His self-serving 'apology' is remarkably similar to Porter's too, right down to the "I've been having therapy" bollocks.

Davey Reilly, resident MC of the Comedy Cellar is accused of various degrees of sexual misconduct ranging from sending unsolicited videos of him having sex with other women (some of whom allegedly didn’t know they were being recorded) to non-consensual anal sex.

Reilly has posted a vague apology on his own Twitter feed saying “there’s a lot of truth” to what’s being said and deleted his Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Davey Reilly, resident MC of the Comedy Cellar is accused of various degrees of sexual misconduct ranging from sending unsolicited videos of him having sex with other women (some of whom allegedly didn’t know they were being recorded) to non-consensual anal sex.

Reilly has posted a vague apology on his own Twitter feed saying “there’s a lot of truth” to what’s being said and deleted his Instagram.

I actually know someone who is serving a 4 year prison sentence for doing exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Can you explain how sexual misconduct is a "psuedo-crime"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Comedy abroad in the US, with the likes of Upright citizen's brigade, or Improv theatre,among other things, lets comics hone their craft.
    People like the Kids in the Hall learned their craft from performing material, and refining it. If a joke bombed, they figured out why, and worked on it. Much of SNL's cast come from UCB.

Much of the comics over here don't really get to do that kind of 'training', frankly. There's no avenues to allow you to do so. I think when Tommy Tiernan tried to do a show that was strictly improv (no written material beforehand) he didn't do very well. It actually led to questions about his health from folks who watched it.
    I think he thought he could just walk into that with ease. Improv takes years to master.
    but SNL and American improv comedy are really really bad, terribly unfunny even compared to the blandest British/Irish panel show or standup

Very well known Irish singer now being accused.

Very well known Irish singer now being accused.

Who is it? What’s with the coyness?

• Advertisement

Who is it? What’s with the coyness?

Well, we have defamation laws in this country last time I checked so not going to leave the site open to anything.

I’ll give ya a clue, he Once wrote an award winning song for a film.

Advertisement