Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Stop taking stuff so seriously. Chill.

nice edit :)

as per my post above...stock reply

'don't get so upset mate/buddy/bro/chum/pal it's only boards (but i spend most of my day on it, every single day of the week)'

love u really tho xoxo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Haha, living rent free inside your head, pal!

Dry your eyes mate. Stop taking stuff so seriously. Chill.

That’s it, J. That lad has been “following” me around, from thread to thread, like a beggar.

Been “awol” the last while so was hoping he’d just stay over in the “Current Affairs” forum but must be getting bored.

These threads about “comedy” always tend to attract men who are to comedy what Hitler was to the Jews and the more “po faced” the commentator, the less funny they are.

The tide is turning…

That’s it, J. That lad has been “following” me around, from thread to thread, like a beggar.

Been “awol” the last while so was hoping he’d just stay over in the “Current Affairs” forum but must be getting bored.

These threads about “comedy” always tend to attract men who are to comedy what Hitler was to the Jews and the more “po faced” the commentator, the less funny they are.

seeing you on every single thread i follow isn't "following you around". it means you are like the annoying lad in any setting who's there every time you walk in talking a load of bollocks, except I don't know if this same lad would have such a misunderstanding of how, when and such an obsession with inverted quotation marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It's all dem 'Cis-gendered White heterosexual men' who are the problem, is it?

Wondered where Louise O'Neill had gone to.

Jim Root wrote: »
    I can’t for the life of me understand how that was commissioned.

Relatively cheap to produce. That and it plays into RTE's OBSESSION with nostalgia.
    Ya know, when most people only had the 2 channels. And RTE were raking in cash.

I avoid it like the plague... the absolute drekk RTE produce is insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Andrew maxwell is awful irritating

Anyone remember that very short lived RTE chat show type thing he had circa 2007ish? The one that featured breakdancers in the studio with footage of him doing stand up awkwardly superimposed over them, plus some woman playing the ukelele who was on every single week.

Anyone remember that very short lived RTE chat show type thing he had circa 2007ish? The one that featured breakdancers in the studio with footage of him doing stand up awkwardly superimposed over them, plus some woman playing the ukelele who was on every single week.

That sounded vaguely familiar... I think I remember the ads for it, but that was it.

Had quick search, and turns out it was called Andrew Maxwell's Smoke and Mirrors.

http://happyendings.ie/portfolio-item/andrew-maxwells-smoke-and-mirrors/

Did anyone watch it?

That sounded vaguely familiar... I think I remember the ads for it, but that was it.

Had quick search, and turns out it was called Andrew Maxwell's Smoke and Mirrors.

Did anyone watch it?
    That's it, I was trying to remember the name. It was an interesting concept, watched it for for a few episodes in the hope it might improve but lost interest. I wouldn't say it was terrible but it didn't gel. The ukele woman got on my nerves, when she was on the first episode I thought she was a one off but next week there she was again .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That's it, I was trying to remember the name. It was an interesting concept, watched it for for a few episodes in the hope it might improve but lost interest. I wouldn't say it was terrible but it didn't gel. The ukele woman got on my nerves, when she was on the first episode I thought she was a one off but next week there she was again .

I just watched the promo there in the hope it would improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm pretty sure I've seen him on Have I got news for you and a few other British shows, not in years though thankfully. How in the name of God did they let him on anything over there?
    Not only is he terribly unfunny, he has a face and demeanour you just want to sink your knuckles into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

osarusan wrote: »
    Andrew Maxwell is the unfunniest person ever.
    tried to be funny in Im a celeb and it backfired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

Micky Flanagan is funny and doesnt give a ****, got one funny lad, he's part Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Did anyone watch it?

Well if Andrew Maxwell was the star of the show it definitely wasn't worth watching. It always amazes me how someone as unfunny as him manages to forge a career in the UK and they can barely elicit a giggle here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Seamai wrote: »
    Well if Andrew Maxwell was the star of the show it definitely wasn't worth watching. It always amazes me how someone as unfunny as him manages to forge a career in the UK and they can barely elicit a giggle here in Ireland.

if mrs brown's boys is popular, anything is possible.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    if mrs brown's boys is popular, anything is possible.

The success of Mrs Browns Boys led to Jason Byrne getting a sitcom.

Jason Byrne played the victim,even when it was obvious to anyone it was sh**e.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jason+byrne+sitcom&rlz=1C1JZAP_enIE780IE780&oq=jason+byrne+sitcom&aqs=chrome..69i57.2957j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=jason+byrne+sitcom&rlz=1C1JZAP_enIE780IE780&oq=jason+byrne+sitcom&aqs=chrome..69i57.2957j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    That's one that passed me by thankfully.

That's one that passed me by thankfully.

Someone made an edit of it, To highlight how horribly unfunny it was.

Of course, Pauline McLynn was in it... and many of his co-stars were in other better sitcoms. It just reminded you of better shows, quite frankly.

2 ratings on IMDB. One giving it 1/10 and the other 10/10 from Alexander Aze with a grand total 1 review in 6 years with an account opening as soon as the show was released.

Shocking stuff. Jason Byrne has just rocketed up to neck and neck with Alison Spittle for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjIt8dc4Y6w

2 ratings on IMDB. One giving it 1/10 and the other 10/10 from Alexander Aze with a grand total 1 review in 6 years with an account opening as soon as the show was released.

Shocking stuff. Jason Byrne has just rocketed up to neck and neck with Alison Spittle for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjIt8dc4Y6w

'Alexander' made an ace contribution, he wasn't a producer of the show masquerading as a casual viewer. Unfortunately I watched that turgid cack and now need to administer bleach on the eyes. Byrne should find an appropriate vehicle for his talents, there must be an idle chipper van somewhere.

Someone made an edit of it, To highlight how horribly unfunny it was.

Of course, Pauline McLynn was in it... and many of his co-stars were in other better sitcoms. It just reminded you of better shows, quite frankly.

Oh the hilarity, will someone walk in on him where it looks like he's bumming his mam? They do, never!

• Advertisement

Yeah,it's why I voted for Byrne from the outset. He's consistently failed as a comedian.

Then proceeds to blame others for his failings. The BBC show was 'buried' according to him, not fully developed etc.

He was an ungrateful douche.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I saw a tweet from Alison Spittle a few weeks back and I was instantly reminded of this thread. I think it was in relation to Dominic Cummings and his little trip but there was an obvious joke to be made and people were flogging it all day, Alison comes out at 10:10pm with the exact same joke. Talk about a day late and a dollar short.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I saw a tweet from Alison Spittle a few weeks back and I was instantly reminded of this thread. I think it was in relation to Dominic Cummings and his little trip but there was an obvious joke to be made and people were flogging it all day, Alison comes out at 10:10pm with the exact same joke. Talk about a day late and a dollar short.

I've seen Jason Byrne steal material from the likes of the Muppets, of all people.
    (THE MUPPETS ARE REAL-DON'T AT ME! (joking, in case that's lost on people))

But there's a lot of comics stealing material rn. There was many on the Ray D'Arcy 'stand-up comedy' special thing he did before Xmas who were using stolen material.

I think one of those 'comediennes' works for Joe.ie, but her entire twitter account is stolen jokes and stolen material. (The hyphens around 'comedienne' are there because she clearly wasn't a comedienne)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Darren Conway

He's hillarious.

Is there less of a stigma in Ireland with comedians stealing jokes than say the states? Dennis Leary, Amy Schumer and Carlos Mencia (rightly) got a lot of stick for stealing other comedians material but Brendan O Carroll does it wholesale with no consequences and he's not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is there less of a stigma in Ireland with comedians stealing jokes than say the states? Dennis Leary, Amy Schumer and Carlos Mencia (rightly) got a lot of stick for stealing other comedians material but Brendan O Carroll does it wholesale with no consequences and he's not the only one.

the greatest burn ever was southpark ripping the living crap out of carlos manica "i steal jokes and have no penis"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

razorblunt wrote: »

i watched the "brexit-an uncivil war" on netflix at the weekend and it's absolutely AMAZING! and Dominic Cummings would make mince meat of spittle!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

O'Carroll just takes them straight out of the joke books you see at Xmas on the shelves.
    i watched the "brexit-an uncivil war" on netflix at the weekend and it's absolutely AMAZING! and Dominic Cummings would make mince meat of spittle!

My 14 month old is funnier than her nevermind Cummings. The "eye test" is one of the most under appreciated jokes in ages.

Brendan Grace did it all the time as well. Stealing from the likes of Rodney Dangerfield, or the two Ronnies.
    He got away with it in the time of 'the one channel' (my only explanation, I wasn't alive then) but it became more egregious and annoying as time went on. O'Carroll did it too, with added homophobia.

Al Porter (before he got 'handsy') was notorious for stealing material either from other comics, or your average joke book.
    Then recycling your average 'Carry on' routine.

Mencia was hounded out of showbiz. Schumer they keep putting in the spotlight, despite stealing material being one of her... lesser crimes. She'll never get another movie, maybe supporting parts, but not a lead.

The weird thing is, Dennis Leary's career fizzled out rather quickly (his standup career that is). Greg Giraldo happily ripped the piddle out of him on a Colin Quinn show. It's priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Well, we don’t usually get comedians to debate political aides. It’s not really comparing like with like, they have different audiences and different goals.

I’m not a fan of Spittle but lots of people are.

I’ve no interest in Mrs Brown’s Boys but my dad thinks it’s hilarious.

I have an aunt who says she married her husband because of how much he makes her laugh. I think he’s one of the most boring humans I’ve ever met.

No one person can define someone else as unfunny. It’s so subjective. It’s grand to say “I find that person about as funny as a wart” but it’d be good if people were open to the idea that their opinion isn’t the only opinion.

Advertisement