Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

KiKi III wrote: »
    Well, we don’t usually get comedians to debate political aides. It’s not really comparing like with like, they have different audiences and different goals.

I’m not a fan of Spittle but lots of people are.

I’ve no interest in Mrs Brown’s Boys but my dad thinks it’s hilarious.

I have an aunt who says she married her husband because of how much he makes her laugh. I think he’s one of the most boring humans I’ve ever met.

No one person can define someone else as unfunny. It’s so subjective. It’s grand to say “I find that person about as funny as a wart” but it’d be good if people were open to the idea that their opinion isn’t the only opinion.

i'm not tlalking about debating! Cummings is on such a different level to mere mortal humans he's hilarious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Well, we don’t usually get comedians to debate political aides. It’s not really comparing like with like, they have different audiences and different goals.

I’m not a fan of Spittle but lots of people are.

I’ve no interest in Mrs Brown’s Boys but my dad thinks it’s hilarious.

I have an aunt who says she married her husband because of how much he makes her laugh. I think he’s one of the most boring humans I’ve ever met.

No one person can define someone else as unfunny. It’s so subjective. It’s grand to say “I find that person about as funny as a wart” but it’d be good if people were open to the idea that their opinion isn’t the only opinion.

Spittle's a media 'darling' so to speak. She ticks all the boxes-mental health? Check. Feminist? Check. Always on Social Media? Check.
    She's not funny tho. It's just RTE don't understand social media. At best, she's 'mildly amusing friend' but that's it.

The difference in the examples you've given is that one is making money on their supposed 'jokes' (O'Carroll and Spittle) and another person is just 'that funny person'.
    The question I tend to ask myself is 'Would I pay to see this person in a show? Would I pay to see their special on netflix/ Amazon? Bare minimum pricing included'. If my answer is 'no', then I can't see them as entertaining.

(There's some genuinely talented comedians in the US who tackle dark subjects such as Mental illness in their material. And yet their shows are genuinely funny.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Spittle's a media 'darling' so to speak. She ticks all the boxes-mental health? Check. Feminist? Check. Always on Social Media? Check.
    She's not funny tho. It's just RTE don't understand social media. At best, she's 'mildly amusing friend' but that's it.

The difference in the examples you've given is that one is making money on their supposed 'jokes' (O'Carroll and Spittle) and another person is just 'that funny person'.
    The question I tend to ask myself is 'Would I pay to see this person in a show? Would I pay to see their special on netflix/ Amazon? Bare minimum pricing included'. If my answer is 'no', then I can't see them as entertaining.

(There's some genuinely talented comedians in the US who tackle dark subjects such as Mental illness in their material. And yet their shows are genuinely funny.)

You managed to completely miss my point there. I get that you don’t think she’s funny. As it happens, I don’t think she’s funny either.

But there are lots of people who do.

Some people like gentle humour, others like it in your face. Some like it sharp while others love the stuff that’s a bit kitsch. Some love dirty, bawdy humour and others love a family friendly comic who can be funny while keeping it clean.

You’re as entitled to your opinion as anyone else, but that doesn’t make you necessarily right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

But there are lots of people who do.

But where are these people? I totally understand your point about comedy being subjective. The point being made is that Spittles fans genuinely don’t seem to exist, she is a darling of RTÉ only it seems and gets treated like some massive talent with money thrown in her direction for various projects which are dire. Michael McIntyre is quite divisive and suits what you are saying, I find his material to be atrocious but it’s visibly there for you to see that he has a huge fan base, tens of thousands at his shows, pulled in £21 miilion from a tour. Brendan O Carroll another example. But Spittle? Is there really any large cohort of a fan base? I don’t think so. And if there is any, it is very small and doesn’t deserve all the attention she gets from our national broadcaster, but no surprise there either.

When have you ever heard anyone talking about her let alone talking about her in a positive light. She’s just a bad fart which just keeps lingering around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You managed to completely miss my point there. I get that you don’t think she’s funny. As it happens, I don’t think she’s funny either.

Think it goes a bit beyond that in here, K. Not finding her “funny” is one thing but gleeful attacking her politics, “wokeness” and her appearance is another.

You’ve got lads slobbering over the chance to put the “boot” into her. Bleating about her “terrible” tv show they never watched, or if they did they never gave a chance to.

To be honest, her show, ‘Nowhere Fast’ was, actually, decent enough. Better than a lot of the RTÉ comedy “shows” that have been on over the last while.

The level of, creepy, hatred on here being directed toward Ms. Spittle is both unnecessary and worrying.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

But where are these people? I totally understand your point about comedy being subjective. The point being made is that Spittles fans genuinely don’t seem to exist, she is a darling of RTÉ only it seems and gets treated like some massive talent with money thrown in her direction for various projects which are dire. Michael McIntyre is quite divisive and suits what you are saying, I find his material to be atrocious but it’s visibly there for you to see that he has a huge fan base, tens of thousands at his shows, pulled in £21 miilion from a tour. Brendan O Carroll another example. But Spittle? Is there really any large cohort of a fan base? I don’t think so. And if there is any, it is very small and doesn’t deserve all the attention she gets from our national broadcaster, but no surprise there either.

When have you ever heard anyone talking about her let alone talking about her in a positive light. She’s just a bad fart which just keeps lingering around.

Hmmm, I think what you’re suffering from here is confirmation bias. You’re seeking out evidence that backs up your opinion without looking at evidence to the contrary.

Tens of thousands of social media followers, a recent Covid deal with the BBC for the watch-along thing she created, a show in Vicar Street last year. People are willing to pay to see her.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

attacking her politics, “wokeness” and her appearance is another.

Who has attacked her appearance? Can you point out a few examples, or even just 1 please?

Hmmm, I think what you’re suffering from here is confirmation bias. You’re seeking out evidence that backs up your opinion without looking at evidence to the contrary.

Tens of thousands of social media followers, a recent Covid deal with the BBC for the watch-along thing she created, a show in Vicar Street last year. People are willing to pay to see her.

I did look up evidence, but my main source of evidence is experience, just like your example of your dad and Mrs Browns Boys. I have literally never heard or met anyone speak of her let alone speak of her fondly.

I had a look at her twitter before posting the other post, she has 22.5k followers. That’s hardly a large following for somebody who is continuously in your face on tv and radio. And she’s flat out on it, doing what she does best, talking absolute muck.

A show in Vicar street with a capacity of 1000. Is that it? That’s a question by the way, not a criticism.

I don’t know what the last one is and can’t find anything is on it. But you’d be hard pushed not to find a ‘celebrity’ that didn’t get out of their box and jump on the Covid train of free self serving publicity so it’s not the greatest example.

There's no Covid deal-it's just something her and her friends have done on twitter. You don't need to pay to see it-it's free. British tv already have Gogglebox,which accomplishes the same thing.

Social media followers can be bought. We've seen that. Having a mass audience on social media doesn't equal a mass audience in any other venture. There are people on social media with followings larger than Spittle who are setting up gofundme's to try and pay their rent.

Nowhere Fast didn't get renewed for a second season... it's not just people on boards who didn't like her. The show didn't sell, plain and simple. Even Amy Huberman's show sold to the UK, and I wasn't a fan of that, but I'll give her credit.

It's happened to others prior to her too-youtubers, who accumulated large followings on youtube, went to tv but died on their butts (FRED aka Lukas Cruikshank for example, ijustine for another example. Not that they care, they live in penthouses-early youtube successes).

Think it goes a bit beyond that in here, K. Not finding her “funny” is one thing but gleeful attacking her politics, “wokeness” and her appearance is another.

You’ve got lads slobbering over the chance to put the “boot” into her. Bleating about her “terrible” tv show they never watched, or if they did they never gave a chance to.

To be honest, her show, ‘Nowhere Fast’ was, actually, decent enough. Better than a lot of the RTÉ comedy “shows” that have been on over the last while.

The level of, creepy hatred, on here, being directed toward Ms. Spittle is both unnecessary and worrying.

Will you ever “pipe down” and go run after Johnny Flash and find your next knight in shining armour crusade for women on some other thread. It has absolutely nothing to do with what’s being discussed here at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Who has attacked her appearance? Can you point out a few examples, or even just 1 please?

He can't because he's making it up.

I did look up evidence, but my main source of evidence is experience, just like your example of your dad and Mrs Browns Boys. I have literally never heard or met anyone speak of her let alone speak of her fondly.

I had a look at her twitter before posting the other post, she has 22.5k followers. That’s hardly a large following for somebody who is continuously in your face on tv and radio. And she’s flat out on it, doing what she does best, talking absolute muck.

A show in Vicar street with a capacity of 1000. Is that it? That’s a question by the way, not a criticism.

I don’t know what the last one is and can’t find anything is on it. But you’d be hard pushed not to find a ‘celebrity’ that didn’t get out of their box and jump on the Covid train of free self serving publicity so it’s not the greatest example.

She has about 50,000 followers across different channels as far as I can see. It’s not massive but it’s not insignificant for a comic.

Her watch-along is something she set up for free. She hadn’t planned to make any money off it but the BBC offered her a deal, which obviously means they see something in her. Her podcast was pretty popular too although that seems to be on a break for now.

Yup, Vicar Street is about 1,200 capacity, I’m not sure how many nights she did solo. I know she co-hosts The Guilty Feminist when it comes to
    Dublin which is where I’d have seen her. That’s Vicar Street as well.

So the idea that no one likes her or is willing to pay to see her is obviously not true. You don’t like her or think she’s funny and that’s fine, doesn’t mean no one else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The level of, creepy, hatred on here being directed toward Ms. Spittle is both unnecessary and worrying.

Excellent summarisation, Emmet. There's nothing wrong with not finding Alison Spittle funny (even though I saw her perform at Leopardstown race track one day and she was funny in a light, self-deprecating, and whimsical way). :eek:

It's the absolute venom with which comedians are attacked that's so distasteful about this thread. Men (always men) lashing out, and being as spiteful and venomous as possible. They seem to take particular pleasure in angrily lashing out at women comedians though. :(

You'd see a lot of it on this site to be honest. Men who hate Ryan Tubridy religiously watching the LLS and listening to his radio show just so they can abuse him is one example. Men who listen to Live Line even though they hate everything about it. :confused:

When it comes to comedy I'd suggest that most of them are deeply angry and frustrated men who fancy themselves as comedians, but display not a jot of humour themselves. Bitter, resentful, jealous.

Takes all sorts to make the world I suppose. :cool:

Excellent summarisation, Emmet. There's nothing wrong with not finding Alison Spittle funny (even though I saw her perform at Leopardstown race track one day and she was funny in a light, self-deprecating, and whimsical way). :eek:

It's the absolute venom with which comedians are attacked that's so distasteful about this thread. Men (always men) lashing out, and being as spiteful and venomous as possible. They seem to take particular pleasure in angrily lashing out at women comedians though. :(

You'd see a lot of it on this site to be honest. Men who hate Ryan Tubridy religiously watching the LLS and listening to his radio show just so they can abuse him is one example. Men who listen to Live Line even though they hate everything about it. :confused:

When it comes to comedy I'd suggest that most of them are deeply angry and frustrated men who fancy themselves as comedians, but display not a jot of humour themselves. Bitter, resentful, jealous.

Can you give an example of this? I don't see it anywhere.

There's no Covid deal-it's just something her and her friends have done on twitter. You don't need to pay to see it-it's free. British tv already have Gogglebox,which accomplishes the same thing.

Social media followers can be bought. We've seen that. Having a mass audience on social media doesn't equal a mass audience in any other venture. There are people on social media with followings larger than Spittle who are setting up gofundme's to try and pay their rent.

Nowhere Fast didn't get renewed for a second season... it's not just people on boards who didn't like her. The show didn't sell, plain and simple. Even Amy Huberman's show sold to the UK, and I wasn't a fan of that, but I'll give her credit.

It's happened to others prior to her too-youtubers, who accumulated large followings on youtube, went to tv but died on their butts (FRED aka Lukas Cruikshank for example, ijustine for another example. Not that they care, they live in penthouses-early youtube successes).

I believe the BBC is now sponsoring her watch-along thing. I don’t follow her and I’m not on Twitter so I don’t know the details but I heard her mention it when she was a guest on the IT Women’s podcast.

Lots of shows don’t get renewed for a second season. Maybe she’s not destined for a big TV career, lots of comedians are far funnier live and their stuff doesn’t work as well on telly.

I don’t think she’s hugely funny, but I’d see the Two
    Johnnies as being a very similar sort of comedy and they don’t get anywhere near the same level of abuse.

If you don’t like her that’s fine. If you don’t think she deserves the chances she’s been given that’s fine too. But the insane level of criticism of her on this thread is wildly disproportionate to anything she’s ever done.

He's retired, or was retired. He works in Centra now. Makes hot chicken fillet baguettes now, he's sh*te at that too.
    Kevin McGaghern. Just awful. Nearly as bad as Alison Spittle, though maybe he's not. She's as funny as cancer.

Terrible wasters stealing a living.
    As for Spittle. she's got mental health problems (which she's spoken of, had a breakdown in the past) and sometimes, with mental illness, you get a dark and cynical outlook on life. Which is depressing as hell, but often a goldmine for comedy. (Not saying mental illness is a gift, just noting the comedy's a by-product). Plenty of comedians have suffered mental illness.
    The difference is, they use their comedy as Catharsis... and in many respects, are more open.

For me, Spittle is like someone who escaped from a mental institution. Possibly because they needed the room.
    Herpes would be funnier, and more welcome, than Alison Spittle.

That was over 3 pages.

That was over 3 pages.

Left out the bit where I mention my own mental health issues... or at least from the bit you quote, you get the understanding I'm coming at it as someone who admits to his issues.

But I didn't criticise her appearance. Which is what you cited.

You also skipped the post where I mention the comics I like, who tackle similar subject matter but in a genuinely funny way. Taylor Tomlinson tackles incredibly dark issues-doesn't proselytize, doesn't lecture... makes funny material.
    Her show 'Quarter Life Crisis' does everything that Spittle 'claims' to do, but does it in a damn funny way.
    Funny she's also a woman, but you skip that bit too. You know... cos it doesnt' serve the narrative I guess.
    She has about 50,000 followers across different channels as far as I can see. It’s not massive but it’s not insignificant for a comic.

Her watch-along is something she set up for free. She hadn’t planned to make any money off it but the BBC offered her a deal, which obviously means they see something in her. Her podcast was pretty popular too although that seems to be on a break for now.

I imagine if it was popular, it would still be going.

Left out the bit where I mention my own mental health issues... or at least from the bit you quote, you get the understanding I'm coming at it as someone who admits to his issues.

You also skipped the post where I mention the comics I like, who tackle similar subject matter but in a genuinely funny way. Taylor Tomlinson tackles incredibly dark issues-doesn't proselytize, doesn't lecture... makes funny material.
    Her show 'Quarter Life Crisis' does everything that Spittle 'claims' to do, but does it in a damn funny way.
    Funny she's also a woman, but you skip that bit too. You know... cos it doesnt' serve the narrative I guess.

Right, but that’s just a big massive assumption on your part. I used to come across it pretty regularly in the iTunes podcast charts.

Could be any number of reasons it’s on a break at the moment; other projects, Covid...

Comedians with mental health issues don't need to base their material on mental health issues. That would be very limiting to be honest.

Is that 50,000 across all platforms in total? If so, that's not very many at all really is it? Obviously followers will be duplicated across the various platforms and especially for someone who gets as much exposure

if the podcast is not continuous it sounds like that has flopped as well.
    Yup, Vicar Street is about 1,200 capacity, I’m not sure how many nights she did solo. I know she co-hosts The Guilty Feminist when it comes to
    Dublin which is where I’d have seen her. That’s Vicar Street as well.

one gig in Vicar St., the rest of her tour seemed to be in community town halls, pubs and local theatres 100 seats etc. Very low capacity venues. Hardly somebody in demand is it?
    So the idea that no one likes her or is willing to pay to see her is obviously not true. You don’t like her or think she’s funny and that’s fine, doesn’t mean no one else does.

You are putting words in my mouth now, clearly she does have a certain following, everybody has to a certain extent but the amount of exposure and publicity she gets from our national broadcaster she has very few followers in proportion to this.

Anyway, having looked up her previous year she does seem to be drifting out of the limelight finally and thankfully.

• Advertisement

I doubt there was ever more appropriate usage of this video than in response to that post.

<<snip>>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Will you ever “pipe down” and go run after Johnny Flash and find your next knight in shining armour crusade for women on some other thread. It has absolutely nothing to do with what’s being discussed here at the moment.

You’d like that, wouldn’t you? Everyone keeping quiet while you lot have your little incel-like “love in”.

The lame “condemnations” of comedians, like Spittle, are just as bad as when you get the same posters putting up “caveats” regarding #metoo, politics or “wokeness” after submissions to the “hottest women” thread.

It’s becoming increasingly obvious that a number of posters on here just don’t “get”, or even like, comedy and even seem, markedly, against anyone who can “hold a room”, people like myself or, the esteemed, Mr. Johnny Flash.

Angry men. Angry at their own inabilities and, well, let’s just say, “short comings”.

The tide is turning…

That was over 3 pages.

Fair enough, there's a couple of those comments that I wouldn't even try to defend. No need for it.

However, and correct me if I'm wrong, but on a recent thread you called Lewis Capaldi a disgusting human being. Why do you think it's ok to say that?

Is that 50,000 across all platforms in total? If so, that's not very many at all really is it? Obviously followers will be duplicated across the various platforms and especially for someone who gets as much exposure

I know someone who is a regular cohost on an RTE show who has about 4K followers. It’s quite a few considering people are arguing that she isn’t liked and doesn’t deserve a platform.
    If the podcast is not continuous it sounds like that has flopped as well.

It ran for about three years which is long for a podcast. She might have taken a break to focus on writing, TV work or other projects. No reason to assume that because it ended it was a failure. That’s just you making an assumption and believing what you want to believe with no evidence to back it up.

one gig in Vicar St., the rest of her tour seemed to be in community town halls, pubs and local theatres 100 seats etc. Very low capacity venues. Hardly somebody in demand is it?

Even the most successful comedians in Ireland play in town halls on Irish tours. A lot of musicians too. Or a hotel function room. There aren’t a lot of big venues outside the main cities. The likes of Tommy Tiernan as a comic and Christy Moore as a singer are hugely popular around the country and often play small venues in places like Claremorris.

Anyway, having looked up her previous year she does seem to be drifting out of the limelight finally and thankfully.

She moved to London last year to pursue opportunities there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Was that the show in Leopardstown performing to a pretty small crowd and said from the off that she had nothing prepared and then proceeded into random expressions such as saying "up the ra" a few times?

Yeah that was a real show stopper. The crowd lapped that **** up.

I understand there were many complaints and will never be invited back.

Silly me though, I guess that's just based on my bias because she's a big girl and apparently loads of people find her hilarious. It wasn't a total died on her arse moment and complete amateur hour.

Right, but that’s just a big massive assumption on your part. I used to come across it pretty regularly in the iTunes podcast charts.

Could be any number of reasons it’s on a break at the moment; other projects, Covid...

Other podcasts are still going despite Covid. Skype, Zoom etc etc are allowing other podcasters to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Ush1 wrote: »
    He's hillarious.

The bar is low, I appreciate that. But the word hilarious here is entirely hyperbolic

Other podcasts are still going despite Covid. Skype, Zoom etc etc are allowing other podcasters to keep going.

Why only respond to the part of my point you can challenge?

As I pointed out above, she might be working on any number of projects from writing TV pilots to new stand up material to social media bits.

Podcasts take quite a bit of time to plan, record, produce and promote. After three years there are many reasons she might have chosen to take a break from it.

To assume it’s because it was a flop (just checked and it has 150 five-star reviews) is more of a reflection on your assumptions than anything to do with her.

Why only respond to the part of my point you can challenge?

As I pointed out above, she might be working on any number of projects from writing TV pilots to new stand up material to social media bits.

Podcasts take quite a bit of time to plan, record, produce and promote. After three years there are many reasons she might have chosen to take a break from it.

To assume it’s because it was a flop (just checked and it has 150 five-star reviews) is more of a reflection on your assumptions than anything to do with her.

Yet there are other comedians who are doing live shows, one hour specials, instagram shows, taking notes, etc etc and still doing podcasts. (I keep mentioning Tomlinson, but she's doing just that. In lockdown).

150 reviews based on a supposed following of 50 000 followers is a flop. It shows her following isn't going beyond social media.

• Advertisement

Attacking her politics and her wokeness is absolutely fine as she happily spouts her opinion in public.

As for her appearance? I don't see anything wrong with pointing out that she is unattractive.

I sense that you may only have your opinion because you align with her on politics and wokeness.

For example, would you object to Katie Hopkins being called a ****ty right wing pretend journalist with a hatchet face?

I doubt it.

I don't see any creepy hatred. Just a genuine widespread dislike for Alison Spittle.

Advertisement