Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

There is a real churchy vibe off it alright

I wonder does the bishop know anything:)

'That would be an ecumenical matter'... :P

KiKi III wrote: »
    It says a lot about you that you would automatically assume this woman’s allegation is baseless.

Absolutely not what I said. I said that everyone is a baseless accusation away.

And you proved my point by attempting to frame my comment as I was some sort of "rape apologist".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Absolutely not what I said. I said that everyone is a baseless accusation away.

And you proved my point by attempting to frame my comment as I was some sort of "rape apologist".

Your post clearly implies that you believe the allegation to be baseless, otherwise why say that? (all the while expressing absolutely no empathy for the alleged victims)

Your post clearly implies that you believe the allegation to be baseless, otherwise why say that? (all the while expressing absolutely no empathy for the alleged victims)

My post clearly states that anybody is one baseless accusation away from being branded a sex offender because of social media and the way people (like yourself) like to be the first to show that they believe the accusation.

Nothing I said implied or that this particular case was fraudulent or valid.

I do not believe any accusation just by trial on Twitter and am not ashamed to say, I don't automatically have empathy for people who broadcast their grievances on social media, especially ones who accuse people publicly of reprehensible crimes.

My post clearly states that anybody is one baseless accusation away from being branded a sex offender because of social media and the way people (like yourself) like to be the first to show that they believe the accusation.

I do not believe any accusation just by trial on Twitter and am not ashamed to say, I don't automatically have empathy for people who broadcast their grievances on social media, especially ones who accuse people publicly of reprehensible crimes.

Yeah, like I said, your attitude says a whole lot about you.

Given that the man involved has already posted an apology/ explanation, I think you can take it that the allegations are legitimate. But empathy isn’t your thing, so who cares what these girls went through, you don’t like how they spoke up about it so that’s that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Would it be fair to say that you're generally more inclined to empathise with the accused than the accuser? Because that's how you come across. Baseless accusations are extremely rare.

Yeah, like I said, your attitude says a whole lot about you.

Given that the man involved has already posted an apology/ explanation, I think you can take it that the allegations are legitimate. But empathy isn’t your thing, so who cares what these girls went through, you don’t like how they spoke up about it so that’s that.

Again,. That's not what I said.

I said that everybody is one baseless accusation away from being branded a potential rapist and subsequent vilification and castigation via social media.

The validity of this accusation has no bearing on the truth of what I said.

To stay on topic though, Alison Spittle is still very ****.

Again,. That's not what I said.

I said that everybody is one baseless accusation away from being branded a potential rapist and subsequent vilification and castigation via social media.

The validity of this accusation has no bearing on the truth of what I said.

To stay on topic though, Alison Spittle is still very ****.

Yeah, but why bring up the topic of “baseless accusations” at all? The only logical interpretation is that you believe, based on nothing, that these specific allegations are baseless.

Otherwise it was just a really weird off topic post.

Anyway, I know the guy to say hello to. I don’t know the women. I believe them.

(And no, I don’t have to hold myself to the standard of innocent until proven guilty because I’m not a juror in a courtroom- I’m fully entitled to believe he’s a creep)

Would it be fair to say that you're generally more inclined to empathise with the accused than the accuser? Because that's how you come across. Baseless accusations are extremely rare.

No. It wouldn't be fair.

Do you usually take people on Jeremy Kyle at face value when they accuse people of things? Twitter is hardly a step up from it.

Is there not some other thread where you can discuss the 'validity' of the accusations?

I think there's an Al Porter thread-might be relevant to go there, because its Off topic here.

• Advertisement

No. It wouldn't be fair.

Do you usually take people on Jeremy Kyle at face value when they accuse people of things? Twitter is hardly a step up from it.

Multiple women posted accounts of abuse by this guy.

Then the guy posted an apology/ explanation acknowledging his behaviour.

And you’re still on his side, because Twitter.

Yeah, but why bring up the topic of “baseless accusations” at all? The only logical interpretation is that you believe, based on nothing, that these specific allegations are baseless.

Otherwise it was just a really weird off topic post.

Anyway, I know the guy to say hello to. I don’t know the women. I believe them.

(And no, I don’t have to hold myself to the standard of innocent until proven guilty because I’m not a juror in a courtroom- I’m fully entitled to believe he’s a creep)

Believe he is a creep all you like.

I don't know him.

I certainly wouldn't defend him

I also certainly wouldn't empathise with someone who accuses people on social media either.

It may be different if I knew either party. But I certainly do not automatically side with an accusing party just because.

Madness.

Multiple women posted accounts of abuse by this guy.

Then the guy posted an apology/ explanation acknowledging his behaviour.

And you’re still on his side, because Twitter.

I.

Never.

Once.

Defended.

Him.

For **** sake.

On topic... Alison Spittle is ****

No. It wouldn't be fair.

It's 100% fair. Even in the case of someone who has essentially admitted it, you couldn't help yourself. You just had to pointlessly drag false allegations into the discussion. Which says a lot about your character.

Do you know just how rare baseless accusations of sexual assault are?

I.

Never.

Once.

Defended.

Him.

For **** sake.

On topic... Alison Spittle is ****

You responded to the news of an allegation by saying we’re all only one baseless allegation away.

Clearly implies you believed the allegations against him are false, even though he has admitted to them.

Now, you can take that back if you want now that you have more information but it’s there in black and white one page back that your first thought was of baseless accusations.

It's 100% fair. Even in the case of someone who has essentially admitted it, you couldn't help yourself. You just had to pointlessly drag false allegations into the discussion. Which says a lot about your character.

Do you know just how rare baseless accusations of sexual assault are?

No. And either do you to be honest. There is absolutely ZERO way you could accurately tell me. Please stop talking about my character.... All I said was that every single person is a baseless accusation on social media away from being branded a sexual predator. It'd be an argument that it's harder to prove your innocence than it would be to have people believe your guilt

Anyway, despite the fact that I never once stood up for or would even try to defend this particular comedian (although you and other posters have for some reason decided I am spokesperson for) whixh other comedian on the circuit do you find unfunny?

Sorry mods, trying to keep it on topic.

No. And either do you to be honest. There is absolutely ZERO way you could accurately tell me. Please stop talking about my character.... All I said was that every single person is a baseless accusation on social media away from being branded a sexual predator. It'd be an argument that it's harder to prove your innocence than it would be to have people believe your guilt

Anyway, despite the fact that I never once stood up for or would even try to defend this particular comedian (although you and other posters have for some reason decided I am spokesperson for) whixh other comedian on the circuit do you find unfunny?

Sorry mods, trying to keep it on topic.

You're literally more likely to be sexually assaulted than falsely accused of sexual assault. And yet you keep going on about false accusations, even in a discussion about a predator who was forced to put his hands up and admit his crimes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mod Note - ok people back on topic, unfunny irish comedians

You're literally more likely to be sexually assaulted than falsely accused of sexual assault. And yet you keep going on about false accusations, even in a discussion about a predator who was forced to put his hands up and admit his crimes.

This is a discussion about unfunny Irish comedians.

Do you like Alison Spittle or Jason Byrne?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

PJ Gallagher is on a breakfast radio show now i think? Always found Jason Byrne a bit cringe.. However the one thing i've seen online that i would immediately skip after seeing a few is that Rory's stories fella.

• Advertisement

PJ Gallagher is on a breakfast radio show now i think? Always found Jason Byrne a bit cringe.. However the one thing i've seen online that i would immediately skip after seeing a few is that Rory's stories fella.

Jesus yes

Do you like Alison Spittle or Jason Byrne?

I've seen Alison Spittle live a few times. Hit and miss, to be honest, like most comedians. Jason Byrne has never really made me laugh. I remember when he first appeared and people were comparing him with Spike Milligan. I couldn't see it.

I've seen Alison Spittle live a few times. Hit and miss, to be honest, like most comedians. Jason Byrne has never really made me laugh. I remember when he first appeared and people were comparing him with Spike Milligan. I couldn't see it.

Spike Milligan, not a hope, now that's funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Marvel Higgins is an unfunny dose

Spike Milligan, not a hope, now that's funny.

Jesus... the hype people peddle out about some idiots is genuinely ridiculous.

I remember Amanda Brunker used to be the WORST for drumming up hype. She compared some model to 'Ireland's answer to Cameron Diaz'... the only thing they had in common was they were both (bottle) blonde. The model didn't act...

...but like Colin Murphy said, one time, 'Ireland loves to celebrate mediocrity'... a recent example being the positive reviews Artemis Fowl got from some Irish media outlets.

I will still go to my grave saying Jason Byrne is the worst Irish comedian ever produced. And he's top ten, globally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I recently saw the clip of Jason Byrne as an audience member on the LLS around 25 years ago, asking Bill Murray something stupid about ghosts. It was awful, though Bill Murray handled it well. Did Byrne have RTE connections to get on like that? Or was he already known at that stage? Think it was 95/96. I first heard of him in 2000. Hard to believe he's still on the go 20 years later. I don't get him at all.

I recently saw the clip of Jason Byrne as an audience member on the LLS around 25 years ago, asking Bill Murray something stupid about ghosts. It was awful, though Bill Murray handled it well. Did Byrne have RTE connections to get on like that? Or was he already known at that stage? Think it was 95/96. I first heard of him in 2000. Hard to believe he's still on the go 20 years later. I don't get him at all.

He piggybacked off of the success of other comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

67 pages in, and people still haven't copped that the answer is Jason Byrne. Still time to turn the poll around folks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Marvel Higgins is an unfunny dose
    Your more into DC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He was once granted a question at a q&a with the dying Richard prior (who We safely say is up there at the top table of comedy), if comedy had a paramilitary wing he would have been kneecapped.

Found it

Jason Byrne: You talk about Muhammad Ali in your latest DVD and how frightening it was to be in the ring with him. But do you reckon you could beat him now that the two of you shake like maracas?

RP: That's your ****in' question?

Advertisement