Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The bar is low, I appreciate that. But the word hilarious here is entirely hyperbolic

Some of his skits are misses but the ones that hit are proper funny and more importantly, genuinely unique.

I like Tony Cantwell a lot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd never heard of Alison Spittle before this thread, is she funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

For example, would you object to Katie Hopkins being called a ****ty right wing pretend journalist with a hatchet face?

In what way is her face relevant? The ugly right-wing hate-speech she peddles is surely enough to be getting on with.
    Ush1 wrote:

The dullest, most humourless lads on After Hours really don't seem to think so. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Yet there are other comedians who are doing live shows, one hour specials, instagram shows, taking notes, etc etc and still doing podcasts. (I keep mentioning Tomlinson, but she's doing just that. In lockdown).

150 reviews based on a supposed following of 50 000 followers is a flop. It shows her following isn't going beyond social media.

It’s absolutely not. As a comparison, Oprah’s podcast has 300 similar ratings. But you’ve made up your mind and no amount of facts are going to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Ush1 wrote: »

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You could say if an Irish comedian was serious about making it they shouldn’t really bother with making Irish people laugh at all

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Attacking her politics and her wokeness is absolutely fine as she happily spouts her opinion in public.

As for her appearance? I don't see anything wrong with pointing out that she is unattractive.

I sense that you may only have your opinion because you align with her on politics and wokeness.

For example, would you object to Katie Hopkins being called a ****ty right wing pretend journalist with a hatchet face?

I doubt it.

I don't see any creepy hatred. Just a genuine widespread dislike for Alison Spittle.

I don’t align with her at all but I still think that’s an awful cntish opinion you have of Alison spittle or any woman on a public forum

Attacking her politics and her wokeness is absolutely fine as she happily spouts her opinion in public.

As for her appearance? I don't see anything wrong with pointing out that she is unattractive.

I sense that you may only have your opinion because you align with her on politics and wokeness.

I doubt it.

I don't see any creepy hatred. Just a genuine widespread dislike for Alison Spittle.

Yes, I would. There’s plenty to make fun of Katie Hopkins about without stooping to making it about her physical appearance.

Same for the Donald.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

The Two Johnnies, Stevo Timothy, Rory’s Stories, all these gobsh*tes on social media who think that the whole of social media waits for their videos all the time . Not funny in the slightest. Looking you to support them through platforms like Patreon, plenty of funny people out there who don’t upload every little thing to social media

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

CBear1993 wrote: »
    The Two Johnnies, Stevo Timothy, Rory’s Stories, all these gobsh*tes on social media who think that the whole of social media waits for their videos all the time . Not funny in the slightest. Looking you to support them through platforms like Patreon, plenty of funny people out there who don’t upload every little thing to social media

Stevo Timothy is annoying

• Advertisement

I don’t align with her at all but I still think that’s an awful cntish opinion you have of Alison spittle or any woman on a public forum

It is **** to comment on anyone's appearance on a public forum? Or just women?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

CBear1993 wrote: »

im actually wondering who would actually pay for their rubbish as its beating the same joke to the ground, with the usual "mental health" or "sad story" dashed in with it ....id give them credit if they actually tried something that ventured out of the same joke

In what way is her face relevant? The ugly right-wing hate-speech she peddles is surely enough to be getting on with.

The dullest, most humourless lads on After Hours really don't seem to think so. Make of that what you will.

No idea what it makes her face relevant. You only have to see online chat about her to see that it is mentioned a lot.

It is slightly more relevant for spittle as she does make reference to her appearance in a good few of her "jokes".

The dullest most humourless lads don't like her. Implying that the vibrant fun lads all piss themselves laughing at her "culchie" girl schtick?

Haha. I'll give you that. That's a funny one.

No.

Why resort to mocking her physical appearance instead of reiterating the fact that she is painfully unfunny?

Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

One poster called a male celeb a disgusting looking human being yet berates others for saying similar things about Alison spittle.

It’s distasteful in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Rothko wrote: »
    One poster called a male celeb a disgusting looking human being yet berates others for saying similar things about Alison spittle.

Interesting to see how he tries to square that circle.

I think people really underestimate how hard stand up comedy, or indeed other forms of comedy are.

To put yourself out there on a stage or on social media and try to make people laugh is a brave thing to do. I did it as a hobby for a while and I have massive respect for anyone trying to make a living out of it. It’s a massive effort and commitment of time an energy usually for very little money.

Anyone who has made it as far as RTE/ Vicar Street has usually spent years doing free gigs around Dublin first and I know that’s the case with Spittle.

Maybe aside your stereotypical Irish begrudgery for those who are doing well. If you don’t like them don’t follow them. I don’t like Alison Spittle’s comedy so I don’t follow her. As I watch very little RTE I get next to no exposure to her. It’s not that hard to just change the channel if she comes on without having to come back to this thread repeatedly to berate her.

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Interesting to see how he tries to square that circle.

I doubt he'll reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Absolutely none of the discussion for the last few pages before this barrage of garbage in defence of Spittle and how nasty men are were about any comedians appearance. They were about how ‘unfunny’ they were, hence the title of the thread. Then, that spice land quotation mark obsessed fella rides in as spittles knight in shining armour and starts bringing up her appearance. It was pointed out several times that this was not part of the discussion yet the last few pages have been dedicated to Spittles appearance by her biggest defenders. It was only ever about how patently bad she is at comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Unfunny Irish comedians....

That'd be all of them Ted....

The dullest most humourless lads don't like her. Implying that the vibrant fun lads all piss themselves laughing at her "culchie" girl schtick?

Haha. I'll give you that. That's a funny one.

No, it implies that the people who go on and on... and on... about comedians they don't like tend not to be remotely amusing themselves. Unless they hide it well on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Rothko wrote: »
    I doubt he'll reply

I said Lewis Capaldi was a desperate looking human being. I didn't remark upon his music. That said I was loaded with beer, and shouldn't have said it.

I said Lewis Capaldi was a desperate looking human being. I didn't remark upon his music. That said I was loaded with beer, and shouldn't have said it.

Well, at least you admit that you were wrong to say it. It's more than a lot of people on here would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I find the whole 'ha, I'm Irish... tayto crisps, drunk, hungover, leaving on the immersion'... etc etc boring. It's all Rinse and repeat.

This exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ush1 wrote: »
    I like Tony Cantwell a lot also.

Best Irish comedian around at the moment, for my money.
    KiKi III wrote: »
    I don’t like Alison Spittle’s comedy so I don’t follow her. As I watch very little RTE I get next to no exposure to her.

Her tv show ‘Nowhere Fast’ is worth a watch, K.

I don’t know much about her “standup” but did enjoy that show.

Of course, someone will be along now to claim that her input was, probably, “minimal” and it was, probably, her “partner” who did all the work.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I never passed much heed on him before looks wise, just knew hes a good singer but it doesn't seem to stop him pulling some serious looking women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I worked as a part-time barman in Vicar Street when I was a student in Trinity, and would have heard (from the bar) the likes of Dylan Moran, Ed Byrne, Des Bishop, Dara Ó Briain, Jason Byrne do their thing. They were all funny to be honest, and played to full houses. I think we lived in less cynical times back then. I remember thinking Jason Byrne was a little bit hectic for my tastes.

Dylan Moran was touring his Monster show at the time, and was absolutely outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

True. When you actually sit in at a show from a cellar type or larger they are generally funny enough. Watching dvds or youtube stuff has a different threshold.

• Advertisement

Best Irish comedian around at the moment, for my money.

Her tv show ‘Nowhere Fast’ is worth a watch, K.

I don’t know much about her “standup” but did enjoy that show.

Of course, someone will be along now to claim that her input was, probably, “minimal” and it was, probably, her “partner” who did all the work.

I thought Nowhere Fast was funny, but like a lot of RTE comedies, not very well produced. It was like they submitted the script and then that was it. Grand, that'll do. Whereas with BBC and Channel 4 comedies, they're still rewriting scenes in between takes.

Advertisement