Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

KiKi III wrote: »
    Davey Reilly, resident MC of the Comedy Cellar is accused of various degrees of sexual misconduct ranging from sending unsolicited videos of him having sex with other women (some of whom allegedly didn’t know they were being recorded) to non-consensual anal sex.

Reilly has posted a vague apology on his own Twitter feed saying “there’s a lot of truth” to what’s being said and deleted his Instagram.
    I had no idea it was going to be this bad, very strange leading the charge against al Porter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

I love my comedy & I've genuinely never heard of the guy. That's funny.

fullstop wrote: »
    Well, we have defamation laws in this country last time I checked so not going to leave the site open to anything.

I’ll give ya a clue, he Once wrote an award winning song for a film.

Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Trial by Twitter is a truly frightening and chilling thing to watch.

I’ve always thought the singer being mentioned was a complete tool and a sanctimonious cünt. But the accusations being fired out about him by random and anonymous accounts is extraordinary. Social media is destroying civil discourse before our eyes. It’s extremely disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

What's the allegations against this musician?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

What's the allegations against this musician?

There's allegations going around that he's a good musician.

It's total lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

There's allegations going around that he's a good musician.

It's total lies.

hmmm.
    Edit- missed the joke :)
    Personal life

Irglová with Hansard performing in Derry, Northern Ireland in a 2006 concert
    Irglová met Glen Hansard in 2001 when she was 13 years old.[4] Her father organized a music festival in the Czech Republic and booked The Frames.[5] Hansard played a large part not only in her development as an artist and songwriter but also in launching her career. Although they met years earlier, her romantic relationship with Hansard began during the making of the film Once[6][7] and ended in 2009.[8]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I love my comedy & I've genuinely never heard of the guy. That's funny.

He’s very well known in the Dublin comedy circuit and the YouTube channel he was affiliated with until last night has millions of views.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Trial by Twitter is a truly frightening and chilling thing to watch.

I’ve always thought the singer being mentioned was a complete tool and a sanctimonious cünt. But the accusations being fired out about him by random and anonymous accounts is extraordinary. Social media is destroying civil discourse before our eyes. It’s extremely disturbing.

The person who was originally accused hasn’t denied the allegations and basically tried to issue a half hearted apology.
    I did find it strange how he was accused and named on social media.
    A number of others were also named this morning Including a well know singer on various Twitter accounts. Some of the accounts were random but some were regular twitter users and YouTubers and some so called comedians, some serious allegations for public viewing on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

goose2005 wrote: »
    but SNL and American improv comedy are really really bad, terribly unfunny even compared to the blandest British/Irish panel show or standup

Oh those are bad, but they have to 'tone it down' in order to appeal to a wider demographic/ not get the woke police on their butt.

I'm talking standup comics, people who test their craft. The Irish comedy scene is about as funny as a canker sore.

There's more whining and b**ching behind the scenes than there are funny jokes or well written material.
    I can't name an Irish comic in the last 5 years who's made me laugh, or who's name I know.

I can name plenty of comics who have made me laugh-but they're not Irish. (Many aren't even British either).
    fullstop wrote: »
    Very well known Irish singer now being accused.

I'm not surprised...

HE creepily said he fancied his co-star in Once the first time he met her...

She was 13, he was 31. They started dating when she was about 18...

Folks called it 'romantic' then.... at least the Irish media did.

I wouldn't. Always had a creepy vibe to it.

• Advertisement

It’s snowballing now former school girls complaining about Dave mcs old street show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Oh dear

I'm sure he'll say he was Framed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

It’s snowballing now former school girls complaining about Dave mcs old street show

He did always tend to make inappropriate comments about/towards passersby, safe in the cocoon of his audience

Post lockdown comedy bars might be missing a few heads

Post lockdown comedy bars might be missing a few heads

Oh Christ-you don't think Al Porter will worm his way back in, do you?

Jesus...I hope not..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I predict that the Irish arts/music scene will just close ranks and turn a blind eye until things quieten down for the singer, much like they did for Cathal O'Searcaigh. Despite their publicly sanctimonious personas these people are not innately moral and yer man is too integral. On the plus side, if this outbreak of shaming well known Irish men continues to spiral there is one uber-famous individual and notorious cooze-hound who may yet get caught up. I'd say this guy was sh1tting himself when #metoo was at its peak and thought he'd made it through unscathed...

The guy had some balls setting Porter up like that knowing what skeletons he had himself in the closet.

sabat wrote: »
    I predict that the Irish arts/music scene will just close ranks and turn a blind eye until things quieten down for the singer, much like they did for Cathal O'Searcaigh. Despite their publicly sanctimonious personas these people are not innately moral and yer man is too integral. On the plus side, if this outbreak of shaming well known Irish men continues to spiral there is one uber-famous individual and notorious cooze-hound who may yet get caught up. I'd say this guy was sh1tting himself when #metoo was at its peak and thought he'd made it through unscathed...

Not the big B? Heard he is sqeaky clean.

Oh Christ-you don't think Al Porter will worm his way back in, do you?

Jesus...I hope not..

Highly unlikely.

The guy had some balls setting Porter up like that knowing what skeletons he had himself in the closet.

The fact that Reilly turned out to be a creep doesn’t make Porter any less of one.

(Reilly has posted an apology/ explanation to his twitter so I’m not sure why we’re avoiding naming him - he has admitted sexual misconduct)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wasn't Porter cleared of everything?

Ush1 wrote: »

The charges against him for the incident at the hospital were dropped I believe.

The fact that he was well-known in Dublin comedy circles for years as being handsy in a way that made a lot of people very uncomfortable has not changed.

He was also known for stealing jokes, which is another reason he was never welcomed back into the comedy community.

Still has whispers. I noticed no comics came out to support him... barring Graham Linehan.

But he's not a great character witness, at least in recent times.

Yes and his most vocal victim is a possible rapist it seems , which is fascinating, I bet he was a prominent repealer too , putting himself into womens Situations

The charges against him for the incident at the hospital were dropped I believe.

The fact that he was well-known in Dublin comedy circles for years as being handsy in a way that made a lot of people very uncomfortable has not changed.

He was also known for stealing jokes, which is another reason he was never welcomed back into the comedy community.

The stealing jokes thing though.... to paraphrase stewart lee on Jim Davidson “ if al Porter can steal your material perhaps you need to write better material “

Yes and his most vocal victim is a possible rapist it seems , which is fascinating, I bet he was a prominent repealer too , putting himself into womens Situations

Possible rapist. Lovely stuff.

Sure aren't we all. One baseless allegation away.

Possible rapist. Lovely stuff.

Sure aren't we all. One baseless allegation away.

It says a lot about you that you would automatically assume this woman’s allegation is baseless.

It says a lot about you that you would automatically assume this woman’s allegation is baseless.

Women-plural. There's been multiple women coming forward.

I'm going to sound like a jerk... but all these people cutting ties with the alleged rapist in question ('alleged' because I don't wanna be sued)...they all knew.

I follow a few Irish comics on twitter, and many of them spoke about this guy, without naming him.
    He was well know in Irish comedy circuits as being a creep. Yet he was also a booker for a certain comedy club.

The club(s) he booked for often had a 'do not get anyone who is a regular at 'insert comedy bar name here' club'... folks knew, and put up with the 'hushed' whispers.

Reminds me of a story Colm O'Gorman (He of 'One in Four', the charity that helps children of sexual abuse) told regarding Fr Sean Fortune, the priest who raped him.(I'm not a fan of O'Gorman, but this analogy is relevant).

Long before the days of social media, people in the town knew about Fortune, and his... predilections, shall we say? There were jokes even made about it, the likes of 'Ah, you wouldn't be bending over to tie your shoes in front of that fella...' etc. Folks always know-then let on they don't.

I'm going to sound like a jerk... but all these people cutting ties with the alleged rapist in question ('alleged' because I don't wanna be sued)...they all knew.

I follow a few Irish comics on twitter, and many of them spoke about this guy, without naming him.
    He was well know in Irish comedy circuits as being a creep. Yet he was also a booker for a certain comedy club.

The club(s) he booked for often had a 'do not get anyone who is a regular at 'insert comedy bar name here' club'... folks knew, and put up with the 'hushed' whispers.

Reminds me of a story Colm O'Gorman (He of 'One in Four', the charity that helps children of sexual abuse) told regarding Fr Sean Fortune, the priest who raped him.(I'm not a fan of O'Gorman, but this analogy is relevant).

Long before the days of social media, people in the town knew about Fortune, and his... predilections, shall we say? There were jokes even made about it, the likes of 'Ah, you wouldn't be bending over to tie your shoes in front of that fella...' etc. Folks always know-then let on they don't.

I believe it’s one allegation of anal rape, with multiple other accounts of manipulating/ misleading women into consensual sex, various criminal offences around sharing intimate images without permission, videoing sex without permission and then just generally being an emotionally manipulative d1ckhead.

• Advertisement

There is a real churchy vibe off it alright

I wonder does the bishop know anything:)

Advertisement