Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Tinder here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Nobody is saying open everything up now. People are saying let's not drag this out this August, phase 1 is what it is, likewise with 2. 3&4 should be merged and 5 brought forward 3 weeks to where 4 was. That means mid July when we're back open.
    I think that's acceptable, all well and good slow and steady but theres slow and then theres snails pace

You may need to have a read of the Restrictions thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Benimar wrote: »
    You may need to have a read of the Restrictions thread!
    No matter who shouts for everything to open now it's not going to happen, but considering the numbers from the last several weeks and the European experience our roadmap is beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

lbj666 wrote: »
    People are forgetting that we have no indication of how this phase is going yet, transmissions during phase 1 would have only just started showing up in new case number . They wont have a big enough data set to get an R0 estimates for another 10 days or so. Ideally you want to keep the R0 below 1 throughout all the phases or have the base level of cases at a low enough number that an R0 of slightly great than 1 can be managed. The new cases averages are not at that low enough level yet. Remember we shut the schools at 29 new cases (granted it was on a fast upward trend then)

Hopefully with the meat factoring and nursing homes done now for testing we will see new case numbers drop.

Also that was 29 cases then, at a very low level of testing. Not sure we can even compare a days cases now with capacity to test far far higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭crossman47

Arghus wrote: »
    He's basically inferred that it will come down to other advice that the government will have to weigh up. "If the country was run solely by decisions on public health we'd have a very simple and straightforward job."

People don't seem to get it: The DOH and NPHET advise on public health and they are going to give recommendations based solely on public health.

Economics etc, etc aren't part of their remit. They are always going to be cautious in these matters - it's their job. It's up to others to think about public finances, public policy. They give advice and it's ultimately up to the government whether to follow it or not. They've set out their perspective and plans and now the question will be whether the government follows it or not.

Thats it exactly. I don't know why others can't see that the medical people advise but government must take the broader picture into account.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Interesting stats here. Thought it would be more 50/50 and if anything maybe more saying it was too slowly:

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1264968633211670529

Surveys with 5 options often return the middle option. When people are unsure they plump for the middle option. Better survey design ives 4 options to force a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Nobody is saying open everything up now. People are saying let's not drag this out this August, phase 1 is what it is, likewise with 2. 3&4 should be merged and 5 brought forward 3 weeks to where 4 was. That means mid July when we're back open.
    I think that's acceptable, all well and good slow and steady but theres slow and then theres snails pace

Genuinely curious as to why you want this done why not go through the phases as is get to August and be fairly sure we wont slide backwards, lumping phases together just increases the risk that restriction may have to be imposed where as slow and steady at least gives us a better chance that they wont

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

More good news-Spain revised down its death toll by 1900.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't think anyone should be using the UK as a metric to measure anything against, they've had a bloodbath on the way in and they'll have one on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

No matter who shouts for everything to open now it's not going to happen, but considering the numbers from the last several weeks and the European experience our roadmap is beyond ridiculous.

That’s your view, I don’t agree, so be it.

However, the OPs point was that no one wants everything opened now and my reply was to show that some do. Whether it would happen or not is irrelevant to his assertion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

More good news-Spain revised down its death toll by 1900.

very good but where was the error.... 1900 seems a very big number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Arghus wrote: »
    Typical, zero deaths: which is something to be delighted about and the usual suspects are on banging on about the how the "doom mongers" will react.

Truly pathetic.

Not “will react”. Did react. Within moments of it being posted that there were no deaths, there was a flurry of “Yeah but” and “Okay but” posts. Completely dour. That’s what is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

What is the story with Cork new cases were down to single digits over a month ago now averaging 11 new cases over last 7 days? Not really seeing any improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

laurah591 wrote: »
    very good but where was the error.... 1900 seems a very big number?

According to RTÉ, the 1,918 deaths were double counted due to an error in the method of reporting. Seems fair enough if most countries caught off guard by this didn’t have a system ready for a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

What is the story with Cork new cases were down to single digits over a month ago now averaging 11 new cases over last 7 days? Not really seeing any improvement.

Could be down to a meat factory I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Benimar wrote: »
    That’s your view, I don’t agree, so be it.

However, the OPs point was that no one wants everything opened now and my reply was to show that some do. Whether it would happen or not is irrelevant to his assertion.
    Actually your reply was to tell the OP to look at another thread to prove your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

is_that_so wrote: »
    Overall they have been the right decisions. I'm assuming here you have a list of all their failings!

I won't be a captain hindsight as I have never believed in our ability to influence a virus no matter what we do or think.

But we are going to have alot to talk about over the next few years with regards to the "new normal".

To be honest every time I have visited Ireland over the past 3 years I haven't seen an improvement economically. Thats mainly going on what I see and quality of life linked to cost of living.
    As soon as travel bans are lifted I will come for a visit. Now here's hoping my old man doesn't croak it before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Could be down to a meat factory I believe.
    I've heard stories of people at that meat factory putting their heads in ice buckets to fake temperature tests down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Onesea wrote: »
    I won't be a captain hindsight as I have never believed in our ability to influence a virus no matter what we do or think.

But we are going to have alot to talk about over the next few years with regards to the "new normal".

To be honest every time I have visited Ireland over the past 3 years I haven't seen an improvement economically. Thats mainly going on what I see and quality of life linked to cost of living.
    As soon as travel bans are lifted I will come for a visit. Now here's hoping my old man doesn't croak it before then.

So you don't even live here but have plenty of views about Ireland, it's politics and how people should be - none of it complimentary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Life is nearly back to normal for most people, minus being able to work for many. The 5km restriction has gone out the window. I know a woman who travelled nearly 100km just to get some Vitamin D. The HSE/Government are away with the fairies if they think people are still buying into their plan, it's slowest reopening in Europe, they need to get real.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    So you don't even live here but have plenty of views about Ireland, it's politics and how people should be - none of it complimentary

You don't have a clue as to my links with that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

lbj666 wrote: »
    People are forgetting that we have no indication of how this phase is going yet, transmissions during phase 1 would have only just started showing up in new case number . They wont have a big enough data set to get an R0 estimates for another 10 days or so. Ideally you want to keep the R0 below 1 throughout all the phases or have the base level of cases at a low enough number that an R0 of slightly great than 1 can be managed. The new cases averages are not at that low enough level yet. Remember we shut the schools at 29 new cases (granted it was on a fast upward trend then)

Hopefully with the meat factoring and nursing homes done now for testing we will see new case numbers drop.
    When the schools closed we were probably at around something more like 2900 cases in reality than 29

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

You don't have a clue as to my links with that country.

"that country" doesn't sound very close! :)

You dont believe you can influence a virus through better hygiene, distancing and the elimination of the majority of person to person interactions? How do you actually think a virus is spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Andrew00 wrote: »
    HON IRELAND

PUMP OUT THE STOUT BOYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Spare a thought for Covid-19 at this time...............must be feeling very lonely and unwanted (was only doing its thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Spare a thought for Covid-19 at this time...............must be feeling very lonely and unwanted (was only doing its thing)

I wouldn’t worry- misery has endless company in this country

You dont believe you can influence a virus through better hygiene, distancing and the elimination of the majority of person to person interactions? How do you actually think a virus is spread?

They don't know how contagious it is.
    They do know how contagious it is.
    Its airborne.
    It isn't airborne.
    It survives on surfaces
    It doesn't survive on surfaces
    Kills old and ill, but really only kills the old.
    All of society stops even tho all cases are in one area.
    Countrys have reopened, yet the Irish must remain at home.
    Italy reoped. Denmark and a few others too with no spread.
    No epidemic amoung front line retail workers reported.
    Numbers in Sweden.. So much worse without intervention?
    McDonald's open, yet cancer screening stopped
    Then there is the coroner's input into deaths or the lack of.

96.5% of covid 19 deaths were 60 or older. In Italy.

Why is a whole nation locked up and routinely fed fear. It doesn't take the need for a cmo to see a strategy from the stats.

Haven't big street parties been happening in council estates for a few weeks now, lots of kids don't social distance. Taking a very long time for the penny to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Positive cases found in 60 different Amazonian tribes
    https://english.newstracklive.com/news/corona-virus-infected-60-tribes-in-amazon-forest-mc24-nu764-ta294-1095083-1.html

God Brazil is such a mess right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Onesea wrote:
    Why is a whole nation locked up and routinely fed fear. It doesn't take the need for a cmo to see a strategy from the stats.
    Because there's a pack of idiots out there that won't listen to anybody. Like for instance a lad who came back from Cheltenham and didn't self-isolate went back to work and three days later has symptoms. Co-worker who had done his best to be careful then comes down with the virus but it's too late because he was looking after his parents who both got it, his father died, his mother was in ICU but recovered.
    What should we do with the clown who didn't listen to anybody?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement