Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we fly again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Looks like Harris will be signing the 2 week quarantine into law this week.
    (That would not personally affect me - as I do not plan to travel to Ireland this year)

It will surely have a crippling effect on the Irish tourism industry.
    Do I understand it right that only UK tourists are not affected by the 2 week quarantine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

otnomart wrote: »
    (That would not personally affect me - as I do not plan to travel to Ireland this year)

It will surely have a crippling effect on the Irish tourism industry.
    Do I understand it right that only UK tourists are not affected by the 2 week quarantine ?

I think the government want UK included. According to Leo his aim is to get EU travel back normal in months. So quarantine law may only be for months depending how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Up until September has been mentioned meaning the summer months will pass without tourists spending the virus . September would have lower numbers to manage apparently .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I think the government want UK included. According to Leo his aim is to get EU travel back normal in months. So quarantine law may only be for months depending how things go.

How would that work for cross border workers and visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a provisional trip to France booked for September 2nd, kinda figured that September would be the cut off date for returning to some kind of normality. Only paid a mostly refundable deposit for the boat so far though, nothing else booked. It's very much wait and see but I definitely don't agree with the doom and gloom of not being able to leave the country for the rest of the year, it's far too early to call that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I've a provisional trip to France booked for September 2nd, kinda figured that September would be the cut off date for returning to some kind of normality. Only paid a mostly refundable deposit for the boat so far though, nothing else booked. It's very much wait and see but I definitely don't agree with the doom and gloom of not being able to leave the country for the rest of the year, it's far too early to call that.

I think there would be definately more chance of that happening than a flight. But then it depends how long Harris signs the quaratine for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

All I see here is talk of refunds. Thread title is when can we fly again.

Would it be silly to think that I could get to Amsterdam in early September? Pipe dream or possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Looks like Harris will be signing the 2 week quarantine into law this week.

ferry to Belfast from Liverpool and bus to Dublin so, not a chance im self isolating for 2 weeks and having people call to the gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭acequion

I'll be gutted if it's as late as September as summer will be over then. If things go well I sincerely hope that it will be earlier.

There is a certain penalising of summer holiday makers going on there which seems unfair considering that up to now anyone could come into the country and basically do what they liked.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm coming from the optimistic perspective that numbers won't spike either here or in Europe. And I know that's the huge "If." But if they don't, then locking up the island at this point seems a bit counterproductive.

acequion wrote: »
    I'll be gutted if it's as late as September as summer will be over then. If things go well I sincerely hope that it will be earlier.

There is a certain penalising of summer holiday makers going on there which seems unfair considering that up to now anyone could come into the country and basically do what they liked.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm coming from the optimistic perspective that numbers won't spike either here or in Europe. And I know that's the huge "If." But if they don't, then locking up the island at this point seems a bit counterproductive.

It will stop holiday makers coming into the country. It won’t necessarily stop Irish people going abroad (to places that don’t have quarantine), as the quarantine on the way back is not a million miles away from just WFH, which many of us are doing anyway. That’s a price I am prepared to pay if it is clear that quarantine will be until September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That’s a price I am prepared to pay if it is clear that quarantine will be until September

Quick q - does that mean that quarantine is expected to be in force during September?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭acequion

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Quick q - does that mean that quarantine is expected to be in force during September?

I was wondering the same. Could a person go away for the last two weeks of August and avoid quarantine if it goes in September? Not everyone can manage the WFH thing if workplaces are open again in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Coming soon to an airport near you--:::: ( Read the full tweet, not going to happen anyplace in good 'ol Europe, me thinks)
    EDIT Guardian Link --Flying long haul during Covid-19: air travel has never been stranger
    I’ve landed in Hong Kong after flying from Paris CDG, via London Heathrow. I now have to wait ~8 hours before I get my #COVID19 test results and thus have ample time to tweet about my experience.
    https://twitter.com/laurelchor/status/1260784481159442434
    Tweeter's CV=Laurel Chor @laurelchor Photographer & journalist @NatGeo
    Explorer | credits:
    @natgeo@wsj@getty@latimes@afp@reuters@nytimes@washingtonpost@vicenews@hbo@nbcnews
    Hong Kong instagram.com/laurelchorJoined January 2008

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

dohouch wrote: »
    Coming soon to an airport near you--:::: ( Read the full tweet, not going to happen anyplace in good 'ol Europe, me thinks)

I’ve landed in Hong Kong after flying from Paris CDG, via London Heathrow. I now have to wait ~8 hours before I get my #COVID19 test results and thus have ample time to tweet about my experience.
    https://twitter.com/laurelchor/status/1260784481159442434
    Tweeter's CV=Laurel Chor @laurelchor Photographer & journalist @NatGeo
    Explorer | credits:
    @natgeo@wsj@getty@latimes@afp@reuters@nytimes@washingtonpost@vicenews@hbo@nbcnews
    Hong Kong instagram.com/laurelchorJoined January 2008

The full article was in the Guardian in Saturday. Interesting read. Can't link it on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Not sure if anyone has a view on this question - why are Ryanair giving free change of flight (including change of destination and no charge for increase in flight price) if I go in August but not September? Are they just trying to get some business going or do they know it wont be possible to go to Spain in August for most people (due to a likely quarantine over there), but they are happy to fill the planes as best they can and not cancel them therefore no refunds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

manniot2 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has a view on this question - why are Ryanair giving free change of flight (including change of destination and no charge for increase in flight price) if I go in August but not September? Are they just trying to get some business going or do they know it wont be possible to go to Spain in August for most people (due to a likely quarantine over there), but they are happy to fill the planes as best they can and not cancel them therefore no refunds?

Thats exactly why. Theyve been working out how to gently guide people in the way that they can keep the most money if people dont fly.
    If you are changing your flight change it to one much later in the year or next year even, but do not change it to the flights they have on in July or August, because if you dont fly they will fly the planes anyway and keep your money. July and August are jackpot time for Ryanair with keeping fares.

Vouchers as bad as they are are far preferrable to booking a July or August flight.
    I think even going forward I won't be booking anything too much in advance that can't be cancelled ......... flights will be either cheap ones booked in advance or I'll take my chances on booking them a week or two out from trip.

Due to fly this weekend to the UK and flight hasn't been cancelled yet ,so im going to go for it not a holiday some family which cant wait, ill be coming back by ferry via Belfast though, fcuk that having to self isolate for 2 weeks, be grand going to the UK as it's been confirmed Irish nationals are exempt from the 2 week quarantine.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/london-confirms-travellers-from-ireland-to-be-exempt-from-covid-19-quarantine-1.4256622

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Reports from various sources this morning that Spain is hoping to open up to international travelers from late June, Sky, The Guardian & others

jonnny68 wrote: »
    ............ fcuk that having to self isolate for 2 weeks,...........

Hopefully you don't take the same attitude to social distancing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Ryanair are just trying to create a demand as they tried to sell with increase fare and people not take up, they just want to try and get confidence back into air travel.
    There has being very little talk about how hotels etc can get back to normal and i believe this will prove a more difficult challenge.
    A Ryanair plane can carry about 180 people and very easy to wipe clean, there be a lot of cleaning to accommodate same number in hotel etc.

Personally i be surprised if there quarantine in Spain in August unless virus returns with a vengence, Italy have already said they cannot afford to stay closed and i expect Spain to fallow.

Augeo wrote: »
    Hopefully you don't take the same attitude to social distancing etc.

no i dont, i'm very careful, only go to supermarkets when it's quiet and keep distance from others, ill wear a KN95 mask and gloves on the flight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

I have 2 weeks booked in Lanzarote from Aug 5th. Any chance there will be flights? Would prefer not as I’m not keen on travel but can’t start refund process until cancelled officially I guess

I have 2 weeks booked in Lanzarote from Aug 5th. Any chance there will be flights? Would prefer not as I’m not keen on travel but can’t start refund process until cancelled officially I guess

I doubt that they will be cancelled. Things are moving so fast now that I would imagine that travel within the EU will be relatively free of barriers by August. The airlines will certainly want to be up and running as much as possible, even if there is quarantine in some places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I doubt that they will be cancelled. Things are moving so fast now that I would imagine that travel within the EU will be relatively free of barriers by August. The airlines will certainly want to be up and running as much as possible, even if there is quarantine in some places

The big issue is what countries will have the quarantine and for how long. Listening to Harris he’d have us all here until this magic vaccine is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The big issue is what countries will have the quarantine and for how long. Listening to Harris he’d have us all here until this magic vaccine is found.

Yeah that's the crux of it. Even of flights resume as normal, if entering a country requires a quarantine (or even a simply a health check meaning people to wait in isolation for several hours), short trips are out of the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yeah that's the crux of it. Even of flights resume as normal, if entering a country requires a quarantine (or even a simply a health check meaning people to wait in isolation for several hours), short trips are out of the equation.

I’m concerned about the restrictions on return more than going. If we’ve to isolate for 2 weeks after coming back that will make it impossible for travel really. I’d put up with the extra q

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

I’m concerned about the restrictions on return more than going. If we’ve to isolate for 2 weeks after coming back that will make it impossible for travel really. I’d put up with the extra q

This is the point. It’s make travel v difficult and surely reason enough to claim on travel insurance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Anyone have thoughts on Aer Lingus while on this topic of Ryanair?

What are the chances of Aer Lingus flights going in June? Hard to see when Ryanair aren’t going until 1st July, why are they getting special treatment?

Have heard Aer Lingus have been cancelling flights with little or no notice on customers.

Our accommodation provider in Portugal are looking full payment before 5th June. We’re due to fly 20th into faro. I want to go but I can’t see it happening for some reason.

I can just see us paying it all then Aer lingus cancelling about 5 days before hand.

I’ve been onto their twitter help and emailed at least 3 times over the last few weeks and they still maintain June flights are running...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Feeling optimistic about September in Spain. Things seem to be moving pretty quick there, rumours of July holidays even. My concern is that if I go to Spain for a week in Sept will I have to self isolate for 2 weeks when I get back. I'll have to go to work is the problem, and I doubt working from home will still be the norm by then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement