Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we fly again?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I’m concerned about the restrictions on return more than going. If we’ve to isolate for 2 weeks after coming back that will make it impossible for travel really. I’d put up with the extra q

the only way around this at present is to either fly or get ferry into Belfast and then back to Dublin or wherever else you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

That's not exactly a responsible thing to do is it?

jonnny68 wrote: »
    the only way around this at present is to either fly or get ferry into Belfast and then back to Dublin or wherever else you live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Neither is drinking umpteen beers and getting full as a shuck John but we all don't live by the rule book.

Not all of us are going to feed off simon's crumbs for the next year.

Travel is inevitable, some people will take the chance and say to hoot with your 14 day restrictions, particularly depending on their employer/workplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Received an email from accomodation provider in Lanzarote. His feeling is they are gearing up to let people in late May early June. Defo thinks July will be happening. Doesnt want balance until we arrive either.

Hard to know who to ne taking advice from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The Canaries and the Balerics are well ahead of the rest of Spain, having no cases for some time. Ireland is one of the lower risk countries and the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands have almost no economy bar the tourism sector and the spin offs from it so I'd expect we'd be allowed return there shortly. The question is if Simon Harris will insist on 14 days isolation for returning holidaymakers. And how they will check this is the case.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    The Canaries and the Balerics are well ahead of the rest of Spain, having no cases for some time. Ireland is one of the lower risk countries and the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands have almost no economy bar the tourism sector and the spin offs from it so I'd expect we'd be allowed return there shortly. The question is if Simon Harris will insist on 14 days isolation for returning holidaymakers. And how they will check this is the case.

It certainly seems like the genie is rapidly escaping from the bottle with respect to travel and there his nothing that Simon Harris is going to be able to do to stop people heading off. The only tool at his disposal is that 14 day quarantine when returning, and perhaps it will be beefed up and rigidly enforced. But I just don’t see it.....I just can’t see Gardai checking up on thousands of returning holiday makers. More likely I think is that the government relents as numbers continue to fall across Europe through July and August.

johnire wrote: »

Who are you to judge other peoples circumstances, you think im going to the UK for a jolly up or something, i wouldn't be going unless i needed to.

It certainly seems like the genie is rapidly escaping from the bottle with respect to travel and there his nothing that Simon Harris is going to be able to do to stop people heading off. The only tool at his disposal is that 14 day quarantine when returning, and perhaps it will be beefed up and rigidly enforced. But I just don’t see it.....I just can’t see Gardai checking up on thousands of returning holiday makers. More likely I think is that the government relents as numbers continue to fall across Europe through July and August.

Even if the 14 day rule is implement, enforcement just isn't realistic, it'll be depending on people to comply (which to be fair in Ireland 99% are very compliant with the rules so far). Even if the gardaí go around checking, there's no reason a self isolating person can't be out for a run. The new legislation isn't robust enough to secure a real world prosecution and they'll be throwing open the door to supreme court challenges and what not, also the sheer number of people travelling will make it impractical.

Lots of employers might stipulate that if you go abroad you self isolate (well, don't attend site) when you return. One of the places I was in prior to the lockdown was at that. They are classed as essential so need to protect the supply chain etc.
    It wasn't paid leave either iirc.

Augeo wrote: »
    Lots of employers might stipulate that if you go abroad you self isolate (well, don't attend site) when you return. One of the places I was in prior to the lockdown was at that. They are classed as essential so need to protect the supply chain etc.
    It wasn't paid leave either iirc.

For all they know you went to Mosney for the week though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Who are you to judge other peoples circumstances, you think im going to the UK for a jolly up or something, i wouldn't be going unless i needed to.

Could be wrong, but the way I read it is that the OP is not referring to going to the UK as not being responsible; and is rather referring to trying to evade quarantine rules.

For all they know you went to Mosney for the week though.

Mmmmmmm .......... I'd like to think in a World where contact tracing is looking very important that folk wouldn't adopt that approach.

It's possible that folk can go to Italy etc soon and come back via Belfast and tell their employer they were in Ireland, very worrying if that attitude is widespread.

I don't think an accommodation centre for asylum seekers would be a viable fake story though, word to the wise etc.

Once there are normal flights and the host countries in the med are accepting tourists it'll be more less a free for all. The political pressure to reopen in Spain is at boiling point, especially in the Autonomous communities most impacted by the tourism shortfall (Andalucia, Baleric Islands and Canary Islands). Spain is highly federalised and each community is setting their own pace on easing lockdown. Madrid and Catalunya could drag on a fair bit although Pedro Sanchez has promised to lift the ban on internal travel soon so they wont be far behind from a practical stance you couldn't really allow international flights into Malaga and then not Madrid. Spain's highspeed rail would make that pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

johnire wrote: »

And either is Ryanair potentially putting a gun to peoples heads if they decide to start flights. It's either use it or lose it in that scenario.

But hey ho. It's ok for the big corporates to do it but not for Johnny on the average industrial wage to decide he doesn't want to lose a wedge of money.

Mmmmmmm .......... I'd like to think in a World where contact tracing is looking very important that folk wouldn't adopt that approach.

It's possible that folk can go to Italy etc soon and come back via Belfast and tell their employer they were in Ireland, very worrying if that attitude is widespread.

People are desperate for a holiday. The lockdown has a toll on mental health.
    I don't think an accommodation centre for asylum seekers would be a viable fake story though, word to the wise etc.

Tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Problem is once the ICU numbers hit 150 again its an automatic lockdown.
    So a little pain now or more pain later is the choice for the people of Ireland.

People are desperate for a holiday. The lockdown has a toll on mental health.

Yeah, it's all relative though.
    I think many will decide not to travel abroad this Summer. Airports will be very busy and quite grim IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You could always suddenly “ feel unwell”, develop a “cough”, “ had a temp” on return. Get a test, is it now a 3 day turnaround? Beats 14 days if it came back negative ;-)

Bob24 wrote: »
    Could be wrong, but the way I read it is that the OP is not referring to going to the UK as not being responsible; and is rather referring to trying to evade quarantine rules.

yeah i dont want the cops calling to my house and there's a chance they would, ill be working at home anyway but last thing you want is a cop car pulling up and knocking on the door,it's a downright ridiculous thing expecting people to self isolate for 2 weeks and is going to have a serious impact on travel the longer it goes on, common sense is required, only travel unless you need to and wear masks and gloves and carry wipes and sanitiser.

.........., common sense is required, only travel unless you need to and wear masks and gloves and carry wipes and sanitiser..

But folk reckon being desperate for a holiday is reason to travel to Spain, Italy etc etc
    Many of them were likely the same fncktards spieling on about rich kids skiiing that brought the virus in to the country when the guburnmint should have stopped them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Even if the 14 day rule is implement, enforcement just isn't realistic, it'll be depending on people to comply (which to be fair in Ireland 99% are very compliant with the rules so far). Even if the gardaí go around checking, there's no reason a self isolating person can't be out for a run. The new legislation isn't robust enough to secure a real world prosecution and they'll be throwing open the door to supreme court challenges and what not, also the sheer number of people travelling will make it impractical.

I have returned from the continent in early May. For whatever it's worth, only enforcement were 2 phone calls on my 2nd day and 10th day to check if I was still self isolating at the same address I've indicated on the arrival form.

BTW there's no legislation in place and self-isolation is 100% voluntary.

GocRh wrote: »
    I have returned from the continent in early May. For whatever it's worth, only enforcement were 2 phone calls on my 2nd day and 10th day to check if I was still self isolating at the same address I've indicated on the arrival form.

unfortunately they have made it mandatory now, in the last few days, if it was voluntary if get a flight back to Dublin instead of a nightmare long ferry and bus,etc.

unfortunately they have made it mandatory now, in the last few days, if it was voluntary if get a flight back to Dublin instead of a nightmare long ferry and bus,etc.

Was it signed into law here? Expiry date?

But folk reckon being desperate for a holiday is reason to travel to Spain, Italy etc etc
    Many of them were likely the same fncktards spieling on about rich kids skiiing that brought the virus in to the country when the guburnmint should have stopped them.

well i cant speak for anyone who wants to travel to Spain for a holiday hopefully by July or August we can do, but certainly no one should be going on holiday right now.

GocRh wrote: »

I'd expect that will be the extent of the enforcement. It would be impractical to go harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I think the 14 days quarantine actually sets some bar for what essential travel is: if someone isn't willing to quarantine for 14 days upon return, their trip most not be that essential.

Besides the health aspect of it, quarantines upon arrival worked pretty well in China and other Asia countries as a way to allow travel for honest people with genuinely essential reasons, and discourage those who have a fairly loose definition of what essential is.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Was it signed into law here? Expiry date?

Leo Varadakar said it himself at the briefing last week , not sure if it's actually been signed into law but if not then they'll be looking to do it ASAP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 NackJapier

Was supposed to go Amsterdam April 6th. Was told 2 weeks beforehand flights were not going ahead. Still no refund or even an email back from Skyscanner.

Anybody here able help a lad out? Anybody in similar situation? Pretty clueless about all this malarkey.

Leo Varadakar said it himself at the briefing last week , not sure if it's actually been signed into law but if not then they'll be looking to do it ASAP

Ah right. I did hear Harris say he was “hoping” to sign it in this week but i have heard there could be legal issues around it though being in the EU.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Ah right. I did hear Harris say he was “hoping” to sign it in this week but i have heard there could be legal issues around it though being in the EU.

yeah maybe it was Harris not sure, cant stand either of them anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement