Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we fly again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭cgcsb

faceman wrote: »
    Just to remind those with flights booked to Spain. Even though Spain is opening up, it’s only to Shengen EU countries. Ireland and the U.K. is not included as we aren’t Shengen. I’ve not seen a change to yet from the Spanish authorities. Hotel owners etc may not be aware of this distinction.

The 14 day quarantine thing on return to Ireland is being made law with no expiry date specified. As far as I am aware it hasn’t been signed yet.

Your travel insurance won’t cover you if you fly when the Irish government advisory is not to.

I’m so eager to get to Spain too. As soon as the Spanish government gives the ok I’m over there! The quarantine on return isn’t a biggie for me as my work is currently online anyway.

Just letting all of schengen in doesn't make any sense. Visiters from Italy pose a much higher risk than visitors from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

manniot2 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has a view on this question - why are Ryanair giving free change of flight (including change of destination and no charge for increase in flight price) if I go in August but not September? Are they just trying to get some business going or do they know it wont be possible to go to Spain in August for most people (due to a likely quarantine over there), but they are happy to fill the planes as best they can and not cancel them therefore no refunds?

I wonder is it possible to bring a flight forward by a few weeks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

cgcsb wrote: »
    Just letting all of schengen in doesn't make any sense. Visiters from Italy pose a much higher risk than visitors from Ireland.

I believe its a way of single out the chaos in the UK without just saying no brits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Slight set back this morning for wannabe Spain visits like myself. The Valencia region which includes the Alicante coast was due to move to stage 2 next Monday but the government has now delayed it to June 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

cgcsb wrote: »

Yep the idea that the Schengen area is an appropriate boundary for quarantine requirements makes no sense whatsoever - there are many different epidemic situations and policy responses within that area.

Having said that, while it was certainly true 2 months ago, at this stage I don't think Ireland is much less of a risk than Italy.

IMO it is more for the likes of Taiwan or Japan that the policy makes no medical sense: these places are much, much, lower risk than any Schengen country and yet coming from there requires quarantine while coming from some very badly hit European countries doesn't. Pure politics and ideology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I believe its a way of single out the chaos in the UK without just saying no brits.

Lot's of non schengen countries and indeed non EU countries with better numbers than Spain. Croatia or New Zealand for example.

If that was the case, they could have included all EU countries in the exemption (which would still have excluded the UK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

GocRh wrote: »
    Well solution is to visit Portugal (no quarantine) and then Spain!

Portugal is currently open to Irish?

Bob24 wrote: »
    If that was the case, they could have included all EU countries in the exemption (which would still have excluded the UK).

The U.K. is still part of the EU. Spain relies heavily on U.K. tourism too. (Also you should see some for the comment from British tourists and property owners in private groups on Facebook :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Out of interest, 'IF' Ryanair/Aer Lingus decide to start flying to the usual holiday destinations (thus avoiding having to refund passengers who decide not to travel for health & safety reasons) but there are still government recommendations in place not to travel to these destinations, have the passengers who have decided not to travel got a case with their travel insurance providers? Or would the pandemic simply null & void 99% of standard policies?

Seems unfair if people abiding the formal advice from their government are punished financially for followoing this advice because an airline found a loophole to avoid issuing refunds.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    All rational minded people want to get things moving again while the zealots enjoy curtailment of freedom.........

Wow what a righteous and patronising post!!!

The U.K. is still part of the EU. Spain relies heavily on U.K. tourism too. (Also you should see some for the comment from British tourists and property owners in private groups on Facebook :rolleyes: )

Not anymore since the 31st of January.

You probably mean that in spite of the UK's membership having ended some EU treaties still apply until the end of the year. But there is nothing preventing Spain, Italy, France or any other EU country from saying that they are enforcing quarantines except for passengers arriving from EU countries (which would exclude the UK).

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Portugal is currently open to Irish?

I wouldn't imagine so, my Portugal flights for late June were cancelled a week ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/may/18/europe-holidays-which-european-countries-are-easing-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-lockdown-measures

Portugal
    Borders are likely to open to international tourists in 2020, and the tourist board have said that a “return for tourism is not far away”, although a date has not yet been announced. Some flights are operating between London and Lisbon. The lifting of measures varies depending on region. Public transport across the country is running at a reduced capacity, though there are rail and bus links to Lisbon city centre from most parts of the country, and taxis are still operating. Restaurants and bars in many regions are permitted to open on 18 May, at limited capacity. Many of the Algarve’s hotels are already open and its beaches are due to open in June. Non-essential travel is not permitted to Madeira and the Azores, where there are health screenings and mandatory 14-day self-isolation is still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

DvB wrote: »
    Out of interest, 'IF' Ryanair/Aer Lingus decide to start flying to the usual holiday destinations (thus avoiding having to refund passengers who decide not to travel for health & safety reasons) but there are still government recommendations in place not to travel to these destinations, have the passengers who have decided not to travel got a case with their travel insurance providers? Or would the pandemic simply null & void 99% of standard policies?

Seems unfair if people abiding the formal advice from their government are punished financially for followoing this advice because an airline found a loophole to avoid issuing refunds.

If you bought your insurance policy before COVID-19 then you will be covered, even if the policy has expired now.
    Its the policy you had when you bought the tickets that dictates the cover and which you claim on.
    But be careful. There is always a very big excess when claiming. Maybe someone else can say how much that excess is if you link your policy and the date you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

JimmyVik wrote: »
    If you bought your insurance policy before COVID-19 then you will be covered, even if the policy has expired now.
    Its the policy you had when you bought the tickets that dictates the cover and which you claim on.
    But be careful. There is always a very big excess when claiming. Maybe someone else can say how much that excess is if you link your policy and the date you bought it?

I haven't looked through the details of our policy yet (bought the insurance about a week after we booked the flights back in January) and had hoped I wouldn't need to being honest, but all the noise from Ryanair in the last week has me concerned we'll lose a substantial amount of money to Ryanair through them playing silly buggers.
    I was going to wait until closer to the time to see how the situation develops as its not like I have any control over how this goes & didnt want to be stressing needlessly until the situation became clearer, but think its time to start reading the small print on that travel insurance policy.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Slight set back this morning for wannabe Spain visits like myself. The Valencia region which includes the Alicante coast was due to move to stage 2 next Monday but the government has now delayed it to June 1st.

And to add to this and to remind everyone-just because an area in Spain or elsewhere is currently at stage whatever, if cases of Covid begin to rise, the govt reserve the right to reimpose lockdowns/constraints on travelling etc

All the talk of a “2nd wave” should be factored in when considering booking anything for July/August

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Augeo wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine so, my Portugal flights for late June were cancelled a week ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/may/18/europe-holidays-which-european-countries-are-easing-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-lockdown-measures

Portugal
    Borders are likely to open to international tourists in 2020, and the tourist board have said that a “return for tourism is not far away”, although a date has not yet been announced. Some flights are operating between London and Lisbon. The lifting of measures varies depending on region. Public transport across the country is running at a reduced capacity, though there are rail and bus links to Lisbon city centre from most parts of the country, and taxis are still operating. Restaurants and bars in many regions are permitted to open on 18 May, at limited capacity. Many of the Algarve’s hotels are already open and its beaches are due to open in June. Non-essential travel is not permitted to Madeira and the Azores, where there are health screenings and mandatory 14-day self-isolation is still in place.

My uncle has an apartment in Lagos in Algarve and have been told to cancel all bookings until Sept at least

My uncle has an apartment in Lagos in Algarve and have been told to cancel all bookings until Sept at least

And the Algarve wasn't bad compared to Porto and Lisbon wrt number of cases etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

The U.K. is still part of the EU.

Whaaat?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mackey9387

Due to go to Las Vegas in late October. Hopeful it will go ahead. If quarantine coming home is mandatory I will have to cancel as I cannot afford to be out of work for two weeks that close to Christmas. I am still working and buying $ each week should I stop or do peopel reckon things should be OK come then??

• Advertisement

d15ude wrote: »
    Whaaat?

I think what is meant is that it is still bound by EU rules, until the end of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I'm multi tasking here (8 tabs open) so only half reading this thread

So is Lisbon in Portugal a Yay or Nay? Is it open?

mackey9387 wrote: »
    Due to go to Las Vegas in late October. Hopeful it will go ahead. If quarantine coming home is mandatory I will have to cancel as I cannot afford to be out of work for two weeks that close to Christmas. I am still working and buying $ each week should I stop or do peopel reckon things should be OK come then??

I say you should be ok for Vegas in October given that its over 4 months away. I have a wedding in Florida in December and i am planning on still heading over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

We were to go to Florida at the end of July for my partner's family reunion, which has now been cancelled. We have until the end of June to reschedule without any fee, up to now we were thinking about going for Christmas (some of the family live there) but being realistic I'd say it will be next February or March at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'm multi tasking here (8 tabs open) so only half reading this thread

So is Lisbon in Portugal a Yay or Nay? Is it open?

Ryanair is flying to Lisbon - right now - 5 times per week.
    Official policy at the moment by Portuguese immigration is to allow entry of nationals, residents and those with family members in Portugal. No quarantine in mainland Portugal.
    Roadmap at the moment is that Portugal will reopen the tourism industry for domestic travel from the 1st of June. Beaches open nationwide on the 5th. All covid restrictions will be lifted in mainland Portugal by early June, and they've already moved out from the state of emergency.
    No official word yet on when EU tourists will be allowed in, but it seems that they're trying to save at least part of the summer season. If numbers remain under control, late July / August are looking like a good bet.

Source: I have a property in Portugal and Portuguese colleagues, and have been following developments closely and in fact spent part of the lockdown in Portugal (happened to be there when restrictions kicked in).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

With the US it's the immigration policy rather than the health status that will determine resumption of a semi normal Transatlantic flight schedule. So you're waiting for Trump... Good luck with that!

Caranica wrote: »
    With the US it's the immigration policy rather than the health status that will determine resumption of a semi normal Transatlantic flight schedule. So you're waiting for Trump... Good luck with that!

yes, only residents and citizens allowed in right now, and no sign of that changing (my wife is american.....yeee haaaaa.....Las Vegas here I come!)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mackey9387

Caranica wrote: »

NOOOOOOOO!!!! :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Beagslife

GocRh wrote: »
    Well solution is to visit Portugal (no quarantine) and then Spain!

Land border with Spain is currently closed till at least the 15th June. That might be extended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Beagslife wrote: »
    Land border with Spain is currently closed till at least the 15th June. That might be extended.

Correct. By the looks of things it seems that the Spanish will take a little longer to re-open.
    Good news is that they've only extended the state of emergency by 2 weeks and not a full month as was originally intended. As far as I know (I could be wrong) they can't keep the border shut once the state of emergency has ended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement